Unofficially diagnosed today (before biopsy results)

Hi all,

…they took a biopsy at the breast clinic, but from the mammogram and ultrasound results, my consultant says she thinks it highly likely it’s cancer. I get the biopsy results in two weeks and am basically just waiting to find out what stage it’s at. I’d found a lump along with some puckering of the skin… and spent the last week telling myself it’s just a cyst. To be told the worst today felt like a punch in the face. I feel like my whole world has suddenly changed. My husband and me are just numb. Really trying to be positive but it feels like we’re on a rollercoaster right now.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

If its your first time here, I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. There will be lots of lovely ladies on here who will provide help and support.

This is the worst time, when you get the diagnosis and wait for results. Once you get the treatment plan, you will start to feel better. But its understandable that you feel numb now. I walked around in a daze for weeks, while the rest of the world carried on without me.

Please come on this site when you need to chat or want advice. When the time comes, you can also go on other threads which deal with treatment.

We all know what you’re going through so sending a virtual hug. Let us know how you get on.

Sue xx

Hello Lisa
So sorry to hear you are having to go through this. I am at a similar point to you. I went to the breast clinic last Thursday after finding a lump whilst on holiday. I naively went along certain it was nothing & probably just a cyst. It was such a massive shock to be told after mamaogram & ultra sound that they are in no doubt that it is BC. I will get my biopsy results later this week.
I am finding this forum a massive help and support & I hope you do too.
Becky

Welcome Lisa,you have come to the right place for support and information .Very difficult having to wait for results you just want to get on with things don’t you.It certainly does feel like being punched in the face !!!

Hi, I spotted two dents in my breast on Sunday went to go yesterday and got urgent referral for today. Been told I have BC 3cm tumour, they think it’s best treated with chemo to shrink it then they won’t have to remove so much of my breast. 

Im kind of ok, I had a scare last year with other breast and think I dealt with some of my anxiety back then. So trying to stay positive and hit this head on 

good luck to you all x

Hi Lisa hope you’ve managed to keep yourself busy today & your not feeling too overwhelmed. I’ve baked bread & homemade soup to occupy myself!
Yorkshirelass sorry to hear your news, but great to hear you sounding so positive! From another Yorkshire Lass we’re made of tough stuff up North :wink: xxx

I’ve been browsing the forums here today and it’s made me feel more at ease with the situation. I think the first thing that hit me was the thought “That’s it! I’m not *me* anymore. I’m someone who has cancer.” Looking on here has made me realise that I can absolutely still be myself. My husband and me will be telling our 13 year old son tonight, which is something I’ve been dreading, because it will make it much more ‘real’. But I’m sure he already suspects something is going on and it’s unfair to keep him in the dark too long.

Yes, the waiting is very intense. Really having to pull out all the stops to just remain on a level. Yes, the “I’m not the type of person who gets cancer! This is ridiculous!” feeling. Having to tell people makes it more real, which is good and bad. Accepting it is the best thing, if you can accept it, then the thought ‘i have cancer’ doesn’t sting as badly. Accepting it takes a bit of time. I’m not there yet.

Lisa x

Oh grogcat I feel your pain so much as this was me a week before xmas last year - told me before biopsy it was cancer - she could tell from the mammogram. The awful AWFUL wait over xmas and new year was just horrible, trying to be festive but failing miserably! Wind on 9 months I wrote on another similar post, i’m now back at work following a successful mastectomy (due to 10 lumps) no spread and hardly ever think about BC now. Just pop a Tamoxifen tablet daily. It WILL get easier like everyone says, the early days are the PITTS. I can now say i HAD breast cancer, it all gone now and i’m back to my new ‘normal’ and living life to the full - even changed my lifestyle and lost nearly 2 stone with Slimming World - keep your chin up, onwards and upwards and you will do it x

Jencat how long is the wait between ct and results? I waiting for ct scan appointment now and I hate the bloody waiting x I just want it done and to know what I am dealing with asap x

I am also a slimming world fan lost 3 stone prior to diagnosis but then had my wonderful holiday and surgery so had put on 6lb when I went Monday BUT just getting back on track and only another 6 stone to lose (only lol) x

Is is so bloody frustrating I feel like I am currently living my life in fortnightly blocks everything seems to be 2 weeks x

For me it is Wednesday afternoon and every appointment so far he has been running late BUT he is such a compassionate man I don’t think he likes to rush anyone so his appointments run over x

Buy her an alarm clock for xmas lol x

As I have said I will go to any of the 4 local hospitals they said it shouldn’t take too long for a scan date x

Is it normal to be stupidly paranoid and start to think that every twinge and ache while you wait for results means the cancer is spreading all over your body?!!? x

My first biopsy results. I’ve been told it’s highly likely to be BC but have nothing else to go on as yet, and 13 more days to wait! It’s torture xx

Absolutely normal I was convinced when my toe hurt I had toe cancer and how far from the breast is that lol of course I didn’t it was cramp x stay strong x

Yes, I’ve suffered from anxiety for years. Ironically it developed into health anxiety last year and I went through CBT which helped a lot. The past 4 months have been so much better for me. I feel like my life has opened up hugely and I suddenly want to do things I’d be afraid to do for years. I got married three week ago too, so life was seeming to be pretty much perfect. Now this! On the plus side though, CBT taught me some effective copying strategies which I’ll be putting to full use over the next few months!!! xx

Thank you Helena. It’s not a big ‘IF’ according to my consultant, so I’m doing what I can to let the idea that I have it settle in my mind. I’m mostly just raring to fight the bastard tooth and nail! I’m very lucky to have an amazing husband who I can fight this thing with. Recognising the good stuff in my life is important right now I think. And boy, does this put everything into perspective! On the anxiety side, I went to see my GP yesterday as I’ve had a bladder issue that’s been bothering me for the past 4 months, so I wanted to ask him if it could be in any way connected. He said probably not, but they’ll do an MRI etc. He then said when breast cancer spreads, it spreads to the lungs first… so guess where I’m suddenly getting aches and twinges?! Also woke up feeling chesty and breathless so my health anxiety has reared its ugly stupid head today! But I’m telling myself that’s all it is xxx