Up to 6 weeks wait

The waiting has begun. I found a lump the day before Christmas Eve, couldn’t get an appointment until Tuesday. The GP was lovely and did say she wasn’t a BC expert but found the hard tissue without me saying.
Did anyone else have a pain? That’s what made me check, I woke up with an ache and examined myself.
She said they are really busy and it could be up to 6 weeks before I’m seen. The wait is awful. I try to stay positive but do have a cry to myself at least once a day. The questions go through my mind all the time, - do I have BC, what stage is it, what surgery, has it spread?
I have told my husband although I waited until Christmas & Boxing Day was over. He keeps saying the advice is get it seen to straight away when Iwill have waited nearly 2 months. Anyone else waited this long? Hopefully it comes through earlier.

Hi Rubyroo2000

Welcome to the BCC Forum where I’m sure you’ll find lots of support from fellow members.  It might also help to phone our Helpline to talk things over.  They will be able to offer you practical information as well as emotional support.  They are open tomorrow from 10-2 and on weekdays from 9-5.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Rubyroo2000

Sorry to hear of your wait,an how long might have to :frowning: so wrong when something so life changing…maybe it is because of the timing of the  christmas break up,i myself was seen in the 2 week window that i do know they say you should be from when you first go to doctor,but every area diff to i think that you live,just like waiting of results,i’ve had to wait longer for getting these back because the christmas an new year also ,and hopefully my wait over on Monday all things crossed,i didnt have pain just lump found when showering that felt small but is 5x5cm :frowning: …it is true the waiting of appointments is the hardest and getting answers an the waiting of test results,i myself have been lucky as over 7wks since first went docs,i had call next day,seen at hosp next wk for a ultrasound an mammogram,all very scary but glad got out way to then 2wks later a core guided biopsy after showed not only a lump but large suspicious mass in my left breast,the not knowing is the worse ,i would get back on to your doctor now christmas an new year gone an see if can push for sooner appointment,i do feel your pain of waiting an anquish of wondering what if’s an what stage if have ,not the best time over christmas too,just try keep busy best you can makes the days go quicker,the quiet times can be the worse for thinking,ive cried my far share of tears :(,i really do hope you get seen sooner,an feel free to message anytime,big hugs ally x

Hi, in September when I took my bra off I felt an ache and actually joked to myself about droopy ness and age and needing a bra on (age 41 and a G/H cup). It hadnt gone in the morning so checked myself and found a very obvious lump on the upper part of right breast. GP appointment next day who found the lump and said there was a mass behind it. Hospital referral appointment was over 4 weeks later and no chance of bringing forward despite GP marking as urgent. It was 4 weeks of hell, tears, panic, catastrophising and every niggle feeling like it had spread…BUT, after mamo, magnified mamos, ultrasounds, biopsies it was discovered I had a breast full of cysts which were drained and removed that day. Easier said than done I know, but even with such a long wait try to focus on being positive and don’t google its horrendous. Everything I read during my long wait was two months would make no difference at all. It didn’t to my lump but very much did to my poor mental health. Good luck for your appointment when it comes.

Thanks for the reply girls. I go back to work tomorrow so I’m hoping that will pass the time.
Good luck with your results tomorrow, I hope it goes well for you

Hi Rubyroo2000
I think there’s a government target that you are supposed to be seen within 2 weeks from referral by GP? I’m sure that’s what I was told, it was certainly what happened…2 weeks for tests then a weeks wait for results from biopsy (which they only do if they aren’t sure after mamogram and scans).
I’m sure you are aware there are loads of innocent lumps, good that you are getting it checked out since best to be sure. Unfortunately mine turned out to be cancer…had treatments and emerging the other end.
Re pain or discomfort, the only sensation I had was a slight pinching feeling within the area where I found the lump.
Really hope you don’t have to wait as long as your GP was saying. And hope it’s of the innocent form…if not loads of support here if you should inadvertently find yourself needing to come back.
Seabreeze

I’ve been told 6 week wait to referral was put in on the 8th of Jan. hope you hear soon x

Sorry just saw you have you’re appointment good lick x

Had my mammogram today, wasn’t bad. In and out in 10 minutes. The girl was lovely but gave nothing away. Two more sleepless night and I should know either way.

Nationally the guidelines say two weeks I was referred on 28/1/15 and have an appointment on 6/2/15 have you been fast tracked? I work in cancer services and if they suspect breadt cancer you have to be seen in two weeks!