Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent referral to breast clinic

6 REPLIES 6
Charys
Community Champion

Re: Urgent referral to breast clinic

Good ...I'm really glad it's come through! Remember no amount of worrying will make any difference to anything ( says she who was doolally with anxiety about her recent one year check up lol).
FloofyDoof

I got my appointment today, it's at 10am on Friday at the Breast Clinic at the New QE2 hospital. I think it's a one stop clinic, but I am not sure. Have felt sick since they called, at least it's not too long to wait though. It'll be exactly 2 weeks since I saw my GP, so not bad even with the delay in sending the referral over. Really trying not to panic, but I'm still not at the therapeutic dose of my new anxiety medication so I am a bit panicky at the moment anyway.

Sarah x
ann-m
Community Champion

Well done about google, floofydoof!
Hopefully all will be well, it usually is, let us know how you get on.
ann x
FloofyDoof

Hi,

thank you both for replying. I have just spoken to a really lovely lady at the breast clinic. Apparently they were only sent my referral yesterday, so my 2 weeks starts from then, not last week when I saw my GP. They also sent it over with my old number on, despite my checking 3 times (stupid anxiety!) With the doctor that he had my correct number. So now I have an extra week of panic and stress. I have been meaning to switch GP surgery for a while, due to stuff like this happening with test results and referrals before. I think I will look into it now.

Having a read around this board and your replies here have been really reassuring, and I have managed not to do any more googling 🙂
Charys
Community Champion

Hiyer Floofydoof,

When is your appointment? You've done exactly the right thing in getting this checked, the very worst thing you could do for your health and peace of mind is to leave this symptom and bury your head in the sand. The point is that even IF, and it is an IF at this point honestly, this is a form of BC then the earlier you get in there the higher your chances of really successful treatment. I'm sorry i don't know about the breast expander issue, but I'm sure it is something that will have dealt with before and I would doubt very much that that would interfer with any scans if they were necessary.....all these medical products have to be fit for purpose, and if it made mammograms and ultrasound impossible then they wouldnt be used. If you already have anxiety problems, then of course this situation is going to really press those buttons for you. I'm so sorry it is incredibly frightening for you right now, but stay in touch with us on here and we are happy to listen.

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Floofy,

Anxiety is quite normal when going through this, we've all been there!

Although it doesn't feel like it, it's good that you have been referred to get to the bottom of it. Try not to worry about the process, the team at the clinic do this all the time & will sort this out for you. 

As you say, please avoid google, it is quite usual to then begin to imagine you have all the worst scenarios & suffer a lot more unnecessary anxiety. 

Most breast changes turn out to be nothing serious & if on the off chance it is more serious, then the sooner it is dealt with the better.

If you can, try to keep yourself distracted, do not think beyond the appointment & it helps to carry on as normal.

Let us know how you get on. 

ann x

FloofyDoof

Urgent referral to breast clinic

Hi

I went to my GP on Friday about a large patch of flaky, thickened skin on my nipple/areola that I cant seem to get rid of. Over the last few months I have tried among other things cocoa butter, bio oil, clotrimazole - just in case it was thrush, and hydrocortisone in case that did anything and all it's done is slowly get bigger. I was expecting the doctor to maybe give me some stronger cream than the over the counter stuff, but he's referred me to the breast clinic. After a little google (which I know doesn't help and I really shouldn't have done) I am now having a bit of a panic about paget's disease - because it really looks like that, and the symptoms fit, and I am also panicking a bit about the actual clinic tests and results too. Also I have a tissue expander in the breast that has the issue, been there for a few years, was for breast assymetry, and I am worried that it'll mean that it's harder to tell if something is wrong, or that it'll affect tests in some way.

I should say that I suffer pretty badly from anxiety anyway, so tend to worry about things a lot more than necessary, but this is freaking me out a bit and I don't really have anyone that I can talk to about it. I'm a single mum with 2 teenagers, so just trying not to let on that I'm worried at the moment.