Vacuum biopsy for DCIS

Hi there. Recently diagnosed with DCIS which is mostly non invasive. However to make sure they wanted to do a second vacuum biopsy which was just too painful and so they had to stop. I don’t understand why I needed a second biopsy as they have already said that due to the size of the area and because it is high grade that I’ll have to have a mastectomy anyway. They can find out post op about my receptors etc. So don’t understand why they are considering now whether to make me try again with the biopsy. It was pure torture. Anyone had a similar experience?

Not exactly but I did have two biopsies very close together in time scale and it was agony. It took for ever for them to collect a second sample and was like an episode of Fawlty Towers with nurses, radiographers and clinicians running in and out of the room trying to find an area to sample!? Not a process I would care to repeat. I haven’t needed a masectomy so maybe worthwhile though?

Hi Alice 

I had two biopsies too , I was diagnosed with low grade DCIS from first one and second showed up suspicious cells , I asked why there needed to be two for similar reason as yours the area was large and mastectomy is treatment . There was talk of a third biopsy as second was suspicious only , I did say I didnt  want to go through the third as the experience of others were awful . 

I was told reason for second standard biopsy is too make sure there has been no mistake and they have it right, Surgeon called it something  "sample …cant quite remember the term she used . 

It was documented on my assessment that I did not wish to undergo a further biopsy and would take the risk of overtreatment  To me suspicious cells meant not normal anyway and the large DCIS area warranted mastectomy anyway … so totally agree whats the point . I was was listened too fortunately . And yes Id say biopsy total torture and necessary but not necessary to perform again after treatment plan is already known . You really do have my sympathy I hope you are listened to , have you spoken to your Breast care nurse she should be able to relay your thoughts to surgeon …it is your journey. Thats what my nurse says to me . Goodluck  xxxx

Just had call from breast care nurse who said they decided not to put me through 3rd attempt as apparently some people just don’t respond well to local anaesthetic. Meeting with surgeon on Thursday to discuss surgery so they are obviously ok to go ahead without more results.