1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vein pain and hard lump in forearm??

10 REPLIES 10
bharti_dwivedi

Re: Vein pain and hard lump in forearm??

4 of 6 sessions of chemo got over last week. It was very difficult for the nurse to find new vein to inject the medicine last time due to swelling. The situation has worsened now. I wonder how to improve it before next session (15 days from now)!
Combiflam and Su mag ointment don't seem to help.
Hot water foamentation gives slight short term relief.
Can't imagine the scene 15 days from now.
I am very scared....

Mellybottles

Hi All

I had my last FEC on 20th June. whilst it was being administered my left arm and hand became very cold and it was quite painful. Since then I have had pain in my left arm and other joints and muscles infact my whole body aches!
I have asked my oncologist, my onc nurse and my GP for advice on what this pain is and how I can manage it apart from paracetamol and anti inflammatories. I have tried both and neither work, the pain is still there.
Can I just say a big thank you for your posts as I now know that it could be my veins, which seems very likely. Begs the question why all the professionals I asked were not able to tell me this!!!

If anyone has advice on menopausal symptoms and how to manage them I would be very grateful.

Thank you ladies

Guest user
Not applicable

It can also be phlebitis (inflammation of the vein or a superficial blood clot) so it is worth getting checked. Sometimes phlebitis needs anti inflammatory drugs or antibiotics to clear it up.

Both my arms became very painful with the FEC chemo, and I can imagine it is very sore if you only use the one arm. Mine was neoadjuvant so I had 2 arms to use, although I am having issues with my affected side now and I can't help but wonder if I would have fared better if it hadn't been used for chemo.

angielav

After EC 3 my vein was sore and painful. I now have a portacath before EC 4 .. thank god.. because my arm is so painful when its at a stretch and the vein is really hard. Why don't they give everyone a PICC/Hickman/Portacath before chemo starts and save our veins!!

Guest user
Not applicable

I've had bad arm pain from FEC and now from Vinorelbine - only advice my BCnurse gave was to keep well hydrated to keep blood flowing as dehydration put pressure on the veins - so I keep drinking water even in the middle of the night - and I do think this helps; certainly if I don't drink the pain is worse.

Thanks to posters for other ideas

Guest user
Not applicable

I've had 6 FEC and now on rads. Still can't straighten my arm due to a tight vein. You can see it under the skin, like a hard twig and because of the position of it at the inside of the elbow, it restricts my arm movement. I'm getting physio at hospital on it now which hurts like h*ll but I think is helping. The physio said it will take time, and that I have to massage it myself too. I find that a heat pad also helps, at least while the heat pad is on. But you can't walk around with a heat pad on all of the time! I also have hirudoid cream though have to admit I don't use it that much as I hate the smell of it!

Hope you get some relief from yours - can you ask for some physio on yours? Not sure about the hard lump - my whole vein is hard rather than a distinct lump, so maybe ask your BCN about it?

Al x

50Something

Hi,

During my 2nd FEC I found my vein really stinging as the poison went in. Afterwards the vein went hard and my arm was painful. My Onc decided to give me a Hickman line as my vein had been damaged. I have now had a Hickman line in for FECs 3 and 4 (I have my 5th on Monday). It is so much better and my veins don't have to be used any more. My arm is still painful, especially when I try to stretch it out. It seems it will be like this for a long time to come but at least I have some good veins left for the future.

Sue xx

Guest user
Not applicable

mine was the same using hirudoid cream from the gp but not an instant fix however have now got a picc line in place for fec4 on tuesday. the nurse was cross that i had so much pain cos it could have been avoided if they referred me after fec2 and she said she would have fitted me in as an urgent. Iwill be asking for a slower rate for next chemo and a long saline rinse at the end. Hoping it will be better this time round will let you know how it goes. Chris x

Guest user
Not applicable

I had my 3rd FEC 2 weeks ago my arm is also very painfull and cannot straighten it, chemo nurse told me it's the veins hardening and contracting advised me to keep putting a hot water bottle on it and keep squeezing a stress ball, this apparently helps relax the tight veins.

Guest user
Not applicable

i too found this on fec and my forearm still tender when stretched just mention to your onc or chemo team x

Guest user
Not applicable

Vein pain and hard lump in forearm??

I'm on my 3rd round of 6 FEC, my arm is tender and I can't straighten my forearm it feels tight today half way up my forearm I've found a hard lump, is this normal with vein pain or something I should be concerned about! I've had such a bad time of FEC Im hoping this not another problem I seem to collect a different problem with each round!