Thank you xxx

Re: Very large, hard mass found!

Fabulous news. X

Thank you xxx

Brilliant news, so pleased for you 🙂 xx

GOOD NEWS: I attended The Magnolia clinic today and was diagnosed with thickened breast tissue and a 2.5cm cyst which they aspirated whilst I was there. The clinic was absolutely fantastic, such a friendly and reassuring atmosphere. I just want to thank all you lovely ladies on here for all your kind words of support which you have offered me over the last four weeks. It has kept me going through some very dark moments and for that I am most grateful. All the very best to you all xxxxxx

Thank you so much fairyb for sharing that. TBH I've heard nothing but praise for them. I rang the centre this morning just to see if there'd been any cancelations and they were lovely. Unfortunately there wasn't any so I'll still have to wait until the 29th. As you'll be all to aware, it's the waiting that's unbearable. It's good to know that it has such an excellent reputation. I'm so pleased to hear that you had good news too. Thanks again xxxxx

Hi Macgirl
I've recently had an appointment at York magnolia centre. They were lovely. Such a relaxed atmosphere. Came away with good news and we were only the for 2 and half hours not the 5 they tell you to prepare for x

Thanks keeks, I just need to know what I'm dealing with. All the very best to you also xxx

Thanks Pat x

Hi macgirl59

glad to hear you got your appointment at last, my local hospital is 18 miles away but as I was picked up by screening I was called to a clinic 60 miles away, 

I'm glad I was, the clinic was as you described and I arrived just after 10am and was told before I left at 1pm that it 'seemed like a cancer' 

That's as much as they could tell me but the nurse said it was very small and very treatable.  Words we held onto like a mantra until I got the full results.  Much better than waiting to find  out. The waiting is the worse.

take care

keeks

Hello Macgirl59, just re read your post and discovered you were quoting a letter from another lady who had her rads at St James so please disregard my post as it's not really relavent to your current situation. Hope everything goes well for you, best wishes Pat x

Hello Macgirl59, I see from your last post that you are due to have your rads at St James, Leeds. I had my rads there just over a year ago and the team there are brilliant. Everyone from the radiographers down to the receptionists are lovely, cheerful, helpful and very supportive. The building itself is huge and the atrium is like an airport lounge complete with grand piano which I believe patients can play! You may read on the forum some reports of ladies being asked to undress in the room where the machine is, this was not the case at Jimmys. I was called from the waiting room and led to a private changing room where I stripped to the waist and put on one of the delightful hospital gowns. Once you are ready one of the radiographers comes to take you to the very large room where the machine is. They very carefully position you on the couch and only expose the area which is to be zapped, line you up with green lazer lines and your tattoos and put some additional markers on with a pen, these are easily removed in the shower. You are only alone for a couple of minutes while the actual zapping takes place. After one zapping the radiographers come back in and reposition you on the couch for the second zapping. It's all over in about 5 minutes and is really very doable. As I live just south of Huddersfield and had a long journey to make I asked if I could have early appointments ( usually just after 9am) and they were most accommodating. The first appointment I had (apart from the planning meeting ) lasted a little longer as one of the radiographers takes you into a side room and explains all about skin care. One tip I would give you is to well moisturise the area to be zapped each day for at least a couple of weeks before you start your rads, use whatever they suggest during rads then continue for a good few months afterwards as the "cooking" continues for a few weeks after active treatment. Hope this has helped and that everything goes well for you. Please feel free to ask me anything else you may like to know, but be reassured that the people I saw at St James were all lovely. Best wishes Pat x

Glad you finally got your appointment. Looks like you got a good clinic there x

Just found this write-up about the clinic I've been referred to. I feel very fortunate to have been referred here now and feel I have a fair idea of what to expect.

(EXERT FROM A MACMILLAN PATIENT)
" I read a post where the writer had said she got her diagnosis and had to wait for appointment for her operation. She had been waiting for a telephone call. I just want to say how grateful I am to the team at York District Hospital and the Magnolia Centre there. It is a one stop shop and is supported by York Against Cancer. You are sent there by your GP.

When you go there you wait a while in a large comfortable area which has a calm atmosphere.

A Nurse Practitioner investigates the cause of the problem (lump), a Consultant Surgeon is called and has a look / examination. You are sent back to the waiting area for a few minutes.

A nurse takes you for a mammogram. Back to waiting area.

Nurse comes back takes you for Ultrasound where biopsy is taken (ok the sound of the spring makes you jump) - you go back and wait a little while with a cup of tea/coffee whatever brought by the nurse.

Then you go and see the Consultant Surgeon again. She gave me my results and told me there and then when she would do my operation - I think it was about a week later (so much has happened since then I can't quite remember).

The thing which I have just realised after reading the worried posts from other people is - I was examined, tested, probable results told me and a plan, including the date of my operation given to me in one morning session at hospital.

I wasn't sitting at home wondering and worrying when I would get the telephone call telling me when my op would be after my diagnosis because I was told straight away.

My BCN is just a phone call away. If she isn't available, the other BCNs in the team are there, read my notes and offer help, guidance and support.

I have been so lucky with the way my care team have looked after me when the news of my diagnosis just floored me.

My RADS are going to be at the Yorkshire Cancer Centre, Bexley Wing, St. James Hospital Leeds - a different hospital, but my BCN has made sure that the radiotherapy nurses know I am scared silly about being zapped and they will support me the best way they can.

I would say, given the opportunity to choose where your care is provided, if you live in the area ask to go to York Magnolia Centre."

Wish I could thank this lady x

FURTHER UPDATE: Well following my letter and conversation with the lady at the NHS booking service I rang the BCC helpline to get some advice and prospective on my situation. The lady I spoke to couldn't have been more helpful and advised me to ring my GP to see if the process could be speeded up. I rang my GP's surgery and the very nice receptionist said she would get my GP to ring me ASAP. In the meantime I received a call from the outpatients dept. offering me an appointment for 29th of April at a hospital 50 miles away! My heart sank but I accepted the appointment anyway. To her credit my GP returned my call and was very sympathetic but in formed me that she was very relieved that I'd got an appointment so quickly as after my consultation with her, one of her colleagues had told her there was an 18 week waiting list. As it stands my appointment is still outside current guidelines. Any thoughts or advice at this time would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks very much. I do hope things go well for you too. Big cyber hugs xxx

Ah Macgirl, i have no advice, but i so feel for you, my whole experince started with my GP on th 28th Mar ... & i'll get my results from biopsy on the 16th Apr ... and believe me, that's been longer than i would wish on anyone, so you really have my sympathy ... i hope you can get something sorted as the waiting is just horrendous. Big hugs sweetie xx

UPDATE: I received a letter this morning for the NHS booking service but when I logged on there were no appointments available. I rang the number and was told that they would email the clinic, who, would then send me an appointment. I was told I should hear from them by 23rd April; another two weeks! The waiting is unbearable. Does anyone know if this happens a lot? I'd be interested to hear what you other ladies have experienced. I don't like having to chase up and nag people but I have an awful feeling I'm going to have to. I'm Getting more worried by the minute. Outwardly to the world and my family I'm very calm about this but inside I'm consumed with fear and dread 😞

Thank you Sam x

Hi Macgirl59

It sounds like you're having a pretty tough time at the moment, I'm sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their experiences and knowledge.  In the meantime if you need to talk things through do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share your feelings and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Thanks any way. Just writing it down has helped x

Hi. I feel for you and hope you dont have to wait long. Sorry i have no advice to offer other than try not to worry x

Very large, hard mass found!

Hi

I've just turned 40 and I have a history of fibrocystic breast disease. Last Thursday I found a very large, firm mass in the upper part of my right breast. It's totally different to the other cysts that I have found and quite tender too. I went to see my GP straight away who told me the mass is very mobile and I have no lymph node swelling in my arm pit. She went on to say she that she thought it was a very large cyst which, if it was a cyst, would need aspirating. She then said she would refer me without delay given my history. I can't believe that I have not felt this lump before now given its size. To me it seems very deep within my breast, I can literally grab hold of it and it's the size of a tangerine which slips and slides about. Has anyone had a similar experience to this? Despite what the doctor said she did also add that she thought it was very big and I'm now very worried about a possible BC diagnosis. Outwardly there is nothing to see, no discharge, no puckering or rash, in fact given its size I can't believe you can't actually see the mass (C/D cup so boobs not massive). Although very breast aware given my experiences over the last 8 years I can't help beating myself up, I just keep asking myself 'How can I have missed this?' I know it's the same for everyone but waiting for the referral is unbearable. Thanks for reading everyone.

Sending positive vibes to all who are in the same boat x