Very sore underarm after WLE and Lymph node surgery , any advice ?

Hi
Had wle and 6 nodes removed 10 days ago , grape sized lump on scar under arm now and scar is turning hard … but skin is burning and tight underarm , very painful to move and touch . Does this go away , I’m doing exercises.
Xx

Hi Zena, I have exactly the same. I had mastectomy and lymph node removed last Monday and my underarm and the back of my arm burns and is so painful. If I forget for a second and try to use my arm the pain is excruciating. I certainly hope this settle’s. I am also doing the exercises. Best of luck with your treatment x

Hi Ladies

For me it did take a couple of weeks to settle, so early days yet. Also, its great that you are able to do the exercises, but don’t over do it.

Do you have follow up appointments soon with the surgeon? They will check it then.

Sending gentle hugs xx

Hi Sue, yes I have follow up appointment on 2nd August. I hope it has eased by then. I found by gently rubbing some moisturising cream in the area helps. X

Hi Neetie and Sue .
I think I over did it first few days as I felt so ok !
But now scar rock hard and yes the burning is excruciating, hard to not do stuff as 3 kids at home now …
Going to call surgeon today as my appointment not till 11/8 , that’s 4 weeks post surgery anyway !
Glad to hear it settled Sue xx
Neetie it’s driving me crazy as can’t get comfortable at all at night , and nerve pains shooting too .
Xxx

Hi Annie, thankyou for your reply. The worst pain is if forget and use my arm to lift myself, I then get an excruciating burning in the top of my arm. I could scream with the pain. I am gently massaging E45 cream into the scar. It does help as it eases the tightness. Get my results on 2nd August. Good luck with your rads. Nice to hear from you ? x

Hi all

Thanks for this thread.  I had SLNB 21st June so am now waiting for the results - I have an appointment on 7th August.  

I have been very lucky with my surgeon.  He came to see me after the op last week, and when I was admitted with sepsis last month.  It has however been a very slow process due mainly to all those Bank Holidays in April.  It took weeks to get started, I hope getting radiotherapy doesn’t get held up as much.

I have also been fortunate with the after effects from surgery as I am relatively pain-free and can move my arm without much trouble.  I took a quick look at my notes when they were left on the table (the top page was the surgery info) and I had only 2 lymph nodes removed.  However, I am being strict about taking the pain-killers every 4-6 hours.  The exercises are helping and encouraging me to keep moving.  I am getting ‘sofa sores’ from sitting too much all day :catwink:

BW 

Alison

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now