Very very unhappy!

I am not a happy bunny at the moment on 31st jan was told surgeon did not get clear margins so would need re-excision and was given 20th Feb which I was ok with. I have had an issue with swelling and have been back to the hospital twice on the last visit I advised my BCN I had not had my pre-op assessment which should have been done phone on 4th Feb BCN said she would chase it up, finally get a call on 13th.
Well I’m due for surgery 20th and have not had written confirmation that a bed is reserved for me, I called BCN today and left a message asking to be called back, no one has contacted me I rung 3 times and no one is returning my calls. I dont know whether i’m going in on 20th or not. I feel so frustrated I don’t know what the hell to do. I will try calling again tomorrow but if i get voice message then i bloody stuck. My partner needs to make arrangements to take time out of work. I feel totally frustated and let down i could scream!!!

Hello Lyn1957,

Your hospital should have a PALS phone number. Give them a ring, have a good whine and let them chase it up for you. After almost two weeks’ trying to get through to my medical team, I did this and had a phone call from my surgeon the same day. Good luck!

Margaret

I am due to have a second WLE on 22nd. I have had a confirmation letter telling me what time to arrive etc. but no word about any pre-op assessment. I asked my BCN who told me they often do pre-ops for “seconds” in the ward on the morning of the op. However, you should have had a confirmation letter. Is there any way you can contact the nurse in charge in the day surgery department, or even your surgeon’s secretary? Your GP may also be able to sort it out. Failing that, can you get to the hospital in person and demand to see someone?

I’m not surprised you are angry. I would be fuming.

I think you should name and shame your hospital if they are treating you like this!

I am very lucky to be tucked right between Preston Royal and Chorley Hospital and I seem to have the best team going. If I have any concerns all I have to do is ring my BCN or my consultant’s secretary and it’s sorted!

If you have surgery booked for the 20th then ring through to the pre-op department in the morning and voice your doubts - they should be able to reasure you.

Good luck xx