Violently sick again after second FEC chemo

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should I ask for to help with the sickness I have after chemo?

four hours after I get the chemo I start vomiting violently and this continues for 12 hours. A single sip of water can set me off vomiting again. I then have very bad nausea for 4 days and then milder nausea for further 5 days. It’s not til about day about 10 or 11 I begin to feel okayish.

I get dexamethasone and granistron IV and then domperidone suppositories and buccastem but nothing seems to help. Also tried maxolon but that didn’t work.

Feeling so desperate. I’ve lost 1 stone in 5 weeks and getting so I can’t face the chemo.
Thanks Elinda x

you must phone your chemo unit before your next chemo and tell them so they can prepare in advance.The only drug I know that you havent mentioned is I think ondanestron[not sure of spelling].The other thing that I found helped was sucking small quantities of crushed ice during chemo.I was only sick once each time during the night following chemo.
Good Luck
Valx

Hi Elinda,

I was also very sick after my second FEC chemo and when I went back for the 3rd one I was given the anti sickness tablets called Emend and I never got sick again and I have just finished all six.

I tried so many things but that was the only thing that worked for me. You have to request it as I think it is quite an expensive tablet.

Good luck, I know what you went through and you don’t want it to happen on the 3rd FEC.

Foxy

Thanks to you both for the advice. Unfortunately, we don’t have a fixed chemo unit at our hospital and two nurses come in once a week to deliver the chemo - so getting to talk about things in advance isn’t an option. I have about 5 mintues with the consultant and will have to try to get him to prescribe Emend this time.
Elinda x

I couldnt keep down or even swallow anti sickness when i was FEC, it was so bad that if i looked at the packet i puked. The only thing that helped me (and helped alot) was supositories - they worked very well and i didnt have to swallow.

Hi there
I am sorry to hear you have had such a bad time. My experience was similar. I got a syringe driver fitted with anti-sickness drugs after my first FEC (dreadful) but I was still sick although not just so bad. The next four FEC were easier. I got a pair of those little travel sickness wrist bands and wore them pretty much all the time and I think that helped. I went completely off tea (which I love)but i took sips of wot water to which ginger had been added.
Hope this is some help. Hang in there!!
Love CC

Hi Ladies
Just had first fec on friday i also feel very sick but havent not yet been sick , finding it hard to eat before taking steriod anti sicks finish 2 day so hoping that means they think i will feel better heres wishing , at least children have gone away with naany and grandad id hate them to see my like this , oh the joys …
Lisa 39 years old in last month had right mast and lymps removed 15/16 pos and started chemo …
would love to hear from you all xxx

HI everyone

I had my first EC 12 days ago… i suffered quite alot with sickness, vomitted on the night of chemo then had a few bad days of the shakes as i was sensitive to the dex steroids and sickness pills!!

really not looking forward to the next dose, in fact i went through a phase of deciding whether i shoud have anymore… but of course i will, now i know that the sicky feeling goes away as quick as it came!

I’m 28 yrs old… grade 3 tumour, HER-2+ and hormone receptor +

em

Hi Em
I had mine 5 days ago and yes , yesterday I lay here crying telling myself I cant do this a second time , we both know we have to and will , its just not that easy taking it …
aLSO still feal sick not sure how ill get to hospital appoint 2 morro they have said it may be the injections im havin to give myself …
All I know is im doing and taking everything they have told me and still feel really ill …
Speak soon Lisa x

HI EVERYONE

Lisa I hope your feeling much better today, my sickness lasted 5 days although it felt much longer than that!!!

I cant believe I’ll be doing it all again this time next week… Ive decided to do everything i want to do this week with my children while i still feel ok! cos i just know next week i wont feel up to it!

Everyone keeps saying that it will be better next time as i know whats coming but somehow i dont believe that!!

Also my hair started falling out yesterday when i brushed it… didnt think it would affect me like it did, i did sit there pulling at it though stupidly! think ive got a few days with hair… great… just in time for easter wknd.

Em x