cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vitamin D

14 REPLIES 14
MonicaS

Re: Vitamin D

I hope you ladiies are stilI looking at this thread, because I need some help.  I've been on Anastrazole for 3 years, and had problems with joint and muscle pains, but over the last 2 weeks I've been waking up about 4am with a headache and nausea.  I don't know if you can develop new side effects 3 years down the road. 

I can get rid of the headache but the nausea is harder to get rid of.  I've had IBS for ages and I wondered if it has to do with that, but I've never had nausea with it before.  I've just found this thread and I'm wondering if it's got something to do with Vit D - I had no idea it could cause problems. At the moment I'm taking Vit D and Magnesium tablets, both are 100% RDA. 

Does any of this sound familiar? It's doing my head, and my stomach, in.

MonicaS

nursemakeyouwel

I am on tamox having been diagnosed 2 yrs ago aged41. I was recently found to have low vit d, and never knew it was linked to breast cancer! MyGP said because my calcium levels are ok she couldn't prescribe anything as the prescribable tablets all contain calcium. I found a brilliant product available online from Amazon or Holland and barrat which contains high dose vit d, it's called d-lux and comes as a spray which you spray under your tongue. It comes in 1000, 3000 ( which I use), and 6000 iu strengths. you can save quite a lot by bulk buying too.
I am pleased that this is something I am doing that may also help reduce recurrence! X
chrisalex

I have tried several chewable adcal tabs but they all made me retch - ugh.  I am n ow on the ones you swallow which are easier to take.  Reading this thread I hope that they contain enough Vit D.  Good luck

Chris

Rattles

Hello Ladies,

Thanks for those suggestions. I will persevere and let you know how I get on.  X

Angie55

Hi Rattles

I am taking Adcal 3 and Anastrozole tablets for a month now. I had mouth ulcers and constipation, bit I wasn't sure which tablet was giving me the problem elderly lady friend told me to take Cranberry Juice and Fresh Orange Juice, so I thought I would give it a try. It seems to have worked for me that might be because I have only had the problem for the last month, but it might be worth giving it a try.

Take Care

Angie. X

Penny47

Rattles have you tried any over the counter stuff?  My tablets are not strong in Vit D which may be a blessing; hoping to increase the amount slowly so as not to upset the system.  PS I had constipation with those calcichew tablets as well.  And I was drinking over 2ltrs of water a day AND working out 2-3 times a week and walking 2-3 miles a day.  So you are not alone!

Rattles

Am so embarrassed to share this Penny, I know my GP thinks I'm a hypochondriac. But here goes.........the chewable tablets give me constipation, which wrecks my guts, even if I drink loads -water obviously! In the end, they haven't even worked.

The vit D on its own gives me diarrhea, which would make a pleasant change except for the terrible tummy ache which kept me awake most of the night!!

At the moment, taking the drops ( for children) every other day, but wondering if I can maybe pay for vit D injection as too nervous to go back to go back to GP again.

I used to be 'healthy' but as much as I'm so glad to have had treatment, its really taken its toll. I should change may avator to 'Moaning Minnie' ….…

Any tips or advice would be very gratefully received?

xxxxx

PS maybe they could prescribe a week in the sun!!!!

Penny47

Rattles- how do you mean problems taking the tablets?  My problems with the chewable calcium tablets was constipation.  A year on after chemo my guts still aven't settled down so I am taking an over the counter product with Vit D and Calcium, but half the RDA of calcium so I know I'm going to have to go back to it sooner or later.  Not sure what the answer is - GP seems to feel I should take the tablets and regularly dose myself with laxatives, which seems a bit stupid to me if I can find a way around it.  My diet has all the recommended daily amounts but not sure the food we eat has as much goodness in it as it is supposed to.

Rattles

Im very interested in whether there is a link between low Vit D and breast cancer as had low levels at time of first diagnosis, and recurrence.

I was on Ad cal and vit d combined, chewable tablet but a recent blood test showed low vit  D. My GP advised that the vit D with the Ad cal is to help calcium absorption. She prescribed a new Vit D tablet but it really gave me bad tummy ache so I'm now trying some drops instead.

Two points- if you are on Ad cal and Vit D, and you are concerned about Vit D, I'd go back and check with GP.

Also, any body else had problems taking the tablets, and if so, have you managed to come across a better way of tolerating it?

Thanks, Rattles 

Magical_Moon

Thanks for the links.
I switched from Tamoxifen to Anastrozole two weeks ago.
I saw my BCN last week and she is writing to my GP to ask him to prescribe me calcium and Vitamin D. Also to fix me up with a DEXA scan.
Wondering why my oncologist didn't include these recommendations in her letter to my GP when I saw her two weeks ago.
M x
Penny47

Here's a table which is similar to the ones in the Holick Book; http://www.gbhealthwatch.com/Nutrient-VitaminD-Overview.php

UV ratings for your area can be found on the BBC weather pages- just enter your postcode and the site should take you to the page for your area.

Penny47

Such good news...seems a good study.  Why aren't Vitamin D levels routinely tested for at dx and why isn't it prescribed more widely?  I was so concerned about my low levels (detected only when I was struggling with the chewable calcium tablets) I bought this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Vitamin-Solution-Strategy-Problems/dp/0452296889/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=... Despite its American slant, I learned so much from it; for example which months you can get Vitamin D from the sun's rays (April-Sept in most of UK), and much more.  I'm not usually a health book freak but this one really spoke to me.

A thought: There seems to be a higher rate of cancer in shift workers for do regular night duty. There also seems to be a lower level fo Vitamin D among night workers.  Could this mean that to survive BC I need to give up night shifts?  Well, I'm not waiting around for Science, I just stopped doing it.  I had no energy from the hormone tablets anyway.  Good luck to all of us on Vitamin D!

poemsgalore

That is good news Maire, thank you for sharing it. Like Angie, I'm on Anastrazole and Adcal D3. I'm sure many of us will be pleased to read this item.

poemsgalore xx

Angie55

Hi
Thanks for the link about vitamin D makes interesting reading. I was put on Anastrozole and Adcal 3 which is a calcium/vitamin D supplement 3 week's ago.
Angie. X