Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vitamins and Breast Cancer

17 REPLIES 17
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Vitamins and Breast Cancer

Hi Christine

Read that you can now buy fresh in U.K. Tesco was mentioned but it may be a case of looking around.

Norma

Guest user
Not applicable

I looked this up because I am redoing my garden in edible ornamentals. According to the books Plants for A Future, which goes into great detail about the food potential of just about any perrennial with any potential, Lycium barbarum is a big plant, spreading through suckers to over 4 metres if allowed. Slugs love the new growth. Also the author has never seen fruits in Britain bigger than 1 cm across, although elsewhere they may grow twice as big. The yields were described as 'usually small.' The author, Ken Fern, is an expert in potentially edible and useful plants, so I would value his opinion.

On the plus side, the plant itself tolerates coastal conditions and is useful for hedging.

I am stuck with a privet hedge which provides absolutely nothing of value (and I am sure is why I have so many snails, it's a snail hotel). A Goji would undoubtedly be preferable.

Guest user
Not applicable

It will be great if they have!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Phoebe

Well I hope it berries too. Just ordering 3 plants out of the Telegraph. They state that each plant should produce 1 kg of fruit in 2nd year! Also says easy to grown in any soil and temperature, so maybe it's been refined? Well I'll give it a whirl and see.

Norma x

Guest user
Not applicable

Re goji berry growing in the UK - Lycium barbarum is a relative of the potato and the tomato. It is also known as the Duke of Argyll's Tea Plant, and we grew one for 35 years. Not once in that time did I see it berry. It may well mean that England is too warm and wet for it, or that you need more than one bush. Be warned that it can cover 8-10 feet of ground and check carefully when you buy your plants that they will be guaranteed to berry.

Guest user
Not applicable

Don't take any supplements with added iron - tumours like iron.

Dietary iron is ok so eat your greens!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey girls

Check out Goji berries, full of everything good and easy to grow, I am sending for some plants!. Load of good things in the papers recently. Check it out on the web!

Love to all

Norma

Guest user
Not applicable

There is another thread about apricot kernels, in Alternative/Complementary. They contain cyanide, are potentially dangerous, but some people swear by them. Another term to search for is laetrile.

Guest user
Not applicable

hi i have heard apricot kernels are good it was on a talk in radio show and this lady refused radiotherapy as family and friend had side effects and she took apricot kernels and she no longer needed treatment anyone else heard this...
juliex

Guest user
Not applicable

I've been taking the vitamin supplements recommended by the Penny Brohn Centre (formerly Bristol Cancer Care) since July. There's loads of useful info on their website. Of course it's hard to quantify how well they work, but I have healed really well since my surgery on 17 Sept: mastectomy with saline expander (will eventually have DIEP reconstruction) and a reduction on the unaffected breast.

Deborah x

Guest user
Not applicable

You can get rosehip supplements in tablet form.

Guest user
Not applicable

whatever happened to rose hip syrup? My Mum used to keep all the grandkds supplied from her garden.

Guest user
Not applicable

Don't talk to me about berries! Well blackberries growing everywhere in profusion this year. Someone should tell Sainsburys'. I picked up a pack last week of ordinary blackberries and they wanted £2.49 and there were 20 berries- I kid you not! So lets get picking!

Norma x

Guest user
Not applicable

The vitamin C in champers is more than in any other drink which is ZERO and less probably than in a tomato pip so don't go overboard!

Best not to supplement C with tablets - there's evidence that vitamin C concentrated in supplements instead of being an antil-oxidant combines with fats which stay in the stomach wall after a meal and are oxidants! Just eat plenty of vit. C rich foods or juices. There's heaps in parsley if you can get any nice fresh leaves and in umpteen other herbs fruits and veggies, from coriander to chilis, from potatoes to pumpkins etc. explore the fruit and veggies and juices you like using the calculator I gave you the link to above and enjoy!
I'm glad you like the otherwise useless information - useless, that is, if people don't want it! Yes I'm a mine of it....I've decided to start a blog to put it out there where people can find it as I have the time and inclination. I'm also healthily sceptical and filter out a lot of junk. Found another guy today, in practice for 35 years, advocating a product from shark's liver i.e. you have to kill sharks to get it - when it's also available from 4 different families of plants and our bodies also make it ourselves - he's put a fancy label on it and sells it along with shark cartilage - get this... given it a really fancy scientific name: Cart4! This is an alternative to bovine cartilage - at least the cows are going to be slaughtered anyway and their cartilage used to make hamburgers, hot dogs, pet foods etc. I'm off to buy some berries!
Wishing you well,
Jenny

DruChurch

Oooh, Vitamin C in champagne, that's the best news I've had all day!!

You are a fountain of knowledge Jenny, do you do something medical for a living, you should be a breast care adviser without doubt, at the very least, you are amazing.

Dru xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jenny
You are so helpful as usual, so thanks for the info will check it out. Champagne may be a rather expensive way to get the Vitamin C. Wonder if it's OK to supplement these with the tablets .

Thanks again Jenny

Norma x

Guest user
Not applicable

There's lots of research about this and folic acid is one reason why berry fruits (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries - if it's got berry in the name...) are so effective at helping to prevent BC. B6 helps with the assimilation of other nutrients such as iron as well as being beneficial in its own right. Check out the fruit and veg. sources of these ingredients here: http://www.wcrfhealthcheck.org/calculators/index.lasso It also has a calculator for nutrients in drinks from alcohol to coffee to juices. Of all the alcoholic drinks listed, only champagne contains vitamin C!
Hope that helps.
wishing you well,
Jenny

Guest user
Not applicable

Vitamins and Breast Cancer

Has anyone heard or read of Vitamin B6 and Folic acid being a help in preventing Breast Cancer?