WLA v Mastectomy? any advice please

Dear All

I am in a total quandary , saw my consultant again yesterday I have an IDC in my left breast which is small 10mm and low grade found in 1 biopsy site, 2nd biopsy clear and 3rd showed Atypical ductal hyperplasia which I know is benign but can also be an early warning sign.  I have been given 2 choices:  a WLA plus another deep biopsy during the op as they have spotted another area of calcification and sentinel node biopsy followed by 4 weeks radiotherapy then 5 years of Tamoxifen OR nipple sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (implant and mesh type), SNLB, Tamoxifen but no radiotherapy.  I really wish that the consultant hadn’t given me two options then it would be decided!

Radiotherapy concerns me as the left breast will be the target I am worried about the risk to my heart a small risk I know, also the nearest Radiotherapy department is a 90 mile round trip ( i am trying very hard not to let this cloud my judgement)

I know my cancer is very small and low grade but I am so worried that with so many areas of calcification there may be other dangers lurking if i just have the WLA, but at the same time I don’t know how I would feel if I have an MX and then found out the cancer was isolated to the one 10mm area.  I need to decide by Monday and whilst initially erring on the side of the MX I am now undecided and utterly confused.

If anyone has any thoughts or I advice I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Thank you Sue x

Hi Sue.  Yes that’s a big quandary to be in.

I was originally told I’d have to choose as well and I thought I’d go down the MX route.  After I’d had my MRI scan, the choice was taken away from me and I had to have an MX - I was relieved.  To be honest I’ve such small boobs that if I’d just have had a lumpectomy, I probably would have been almost totally flat anyway.

I think you’ve got to ask yourself if you went for the WLA, would you be happy to have a further operation IF they found something else in the pathology after the surgery?  Once you’ve had the MX, you can’t reverse it  - but (and you’d have to ask your surgeon), you can have further surgery after the WLA if needed.

The distance to your Radiotherapy Department IS a consideration, of course and I think that’s not silly to factor it in to your decision.

I know which option I would choose but it’s not my decision.  I’m sorry you’ve been put in this position.  I’m sure others will be along later.  

Good luck.  :)

Seren xx

Hi

I had a mastectomy a week ago due to a few areas of DCIS in breast. I had an mri which showed up an area in opposite side of breast that they were 80 percent positive was DCIS also but said there was a chance of it being just normal tissue. They offered to biopsy but I made decision to not have biopsy and go for mastectomy plus sentinel node removal. Waiting for results next Thursday. I felt better knowing that all had been taken away but this is only my opinion as I Couldn t live with the anxiety. Do what is right for you and we re here to support xxx

Hi sue, I am in a similar  position as I have dcis with  idc (15mm) in the same area and calcification in 2 other areas which haven’t changed since the initial mammogram last summer and weren’t a concern to the radiologists before finding the idc.  My consultant preferred option is for lumpectomy followed by rads if nothing changes when the patholgy comes through afterwards but he will do mastectomy if I want although  he’s not keen. I have had one area of calcification biopsied today (couldn’t get it last time and can’t get to the other), surgery date is 24 so need to make a decision.  Initially I was heading for me but after Mondays consultation leaning towards WLE, I just don’t know what to do!  Best of luck deciding x

Thank you ladies still undecided but I know I have to make a decision very soon! I am erring on the side of a mastectomy with imediate construction just to get rid of the bast*** cancer if only 10mm but what about the other areas of concern? This really is Hobson’s choice

xx

Just want to Say to all you lovely ladies - you are amazing!! You are all going through hell and yet take the time to give amazing support xxxx

Hi ladies 

well it’s been a pretty traumatic weekend I don’t think I have ever spent so much time researching anything! My decision is made I am going to call my BCN tomorrow and opt for the Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. Who knows what is the right decision but at least it is my decision. Surgery should be on 23rd March now just hoping lymph nodes will be OK as I think radiotherapy with a implant reconstruction could end up being a bit of a disaster! Anyway hope you are all OK and have had a good weekend? Love to you all and thanks again for your support xx

Hi Sue.  Just seen your thread and I know you have made your decision, but thought I might be able to reassure you re an mx.  I had a soft tissue sarcoma dx in my breast October 2015.  Only option for me was a radical mx with removal of the pec muscle on my dominant side.  Physically, I have recovered well, was doing household stuff within a week (mostly to give some structure to my day), walking the dog (but not driving or in charge of the lead) in under a week and back at the gym 3 weeks to the day post op.  Obviously, with a recon you will need to take it much slower in your recovery.  Have a look at lizoriordan.co.uk (a blog by a breast surgeon who has bc) as she had a recon with strattice.  Her surgeon told her not to lift anything heavier than a wine glass!

I will not be having a recon because of the type of cancer and the risk that a recon could mask a recurrence.  I have adapted OK to having a DD and less than zero on the other side…Obviously, I would prefer to never have had cancer or an mx, but I tend to think of it as an amputation; seems less ‘emotionally loaded’.  With a prosthetic, no-one who doesn’t know can tell the difference, even at the gym.

I’m currently 9 rads into a course of 33 and the travelling has been the biggest issue as the hospital is located in a city and the journey can vary between 40 mins and 90 mins each way.  Before you make a decision, sound out friends and family about a driving rota or look into patient transport options.  Even though you have to be in the car/vehicle, at least you are not concentrating as a driver would.  I found the first week quite draining as it was all so new, but once my team started being a little bit cheeky with me I settled into it.  I’d much rather be doing something else, but it is do-able.

Wishing you well with your choices, surgery and ongoing treatment.  Hugs, Tat xx

Also want to add that all you lovely ladies are ‘awesome’ this forum is currently my lifeline your helpful, honest and kind comments are keeping me sane. THANK YOU everyone xxxx