71627members
375799posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLE: How long did you have breast discomfort?

40 REPLIES 40
eribon

Re: WLE: How long did you have breast discomfort?

Hi all, I had W.L.E in Nov 09 and then radiotherapy in Dec/Jan. Skin healed although dry and still walnut coloured even the large sore broken areas healed much quicker than I thought, but the nagging ache and pulling feeling is still there, saw consultant last month said normal and just to take care its the pec muscle. Due to have a mammorgram Nov, although I was diagonosed after routine mammorgram
Dcis no invasion but radiotherapy 25 sessons had high grade on report? feel I would like to have a permanent mammorgram to make sure othes are not developing a I mad? some people think so and tell me I am being silly and not to worry........

Ann_04

Hi Stephanie - So glad your appt went well. I also saw an accomplice. She told me that it can take up to two years to recover physically and mentally and that pains in the breast were normal, so no need to worry(!). She quickly examined me and said that most problems are discovered by the patient, not by mammograms or medical examinations and just to be vigilant. She said that most recurrences happen within the first two to five years, but more often in the first two years. I am due to have my first mammogram since surgery around September. I see the onc in October and then the surgeon six months after that.

Phillipa - my breast is still uncomfortable if I lie on that side and if I lift anything heavy, as I have said before. My op was last September, rads Dec/Jan. I just think this is normal now.

Ann x

mandeville

Hi All

My ops were November 09 with rads in Feb/March 2010 and recently I have found that my breast is a lot more painful (more painful than it was when I was having rad treatment, it feels more swollen than it was (almost like it does before a period?) I also find if I lay on it during the night it aches when I wake up. I'm putting it down to more driving as I am now back at work full time and lifting files etc, if it was lymphodaema (sorry about the spelling) what would the symptoms be - I didn't have anything removed from under my arm?

Phillippax

Lazydaisy1

Thanks Lulu for advice - will stop wittling now ( Bedfordshire phrase for being a right old pain in the ........) Sxx

Lulu34

hi lazy daisy my front and back margins werent clear either but they dont normally worry about these as its very rare to get rumours in your muscle (back margin on chest wall) or into the skin (front margin) and that the rads would zap those areas anyway.

i asked 2 or 3 different consultants and all said the same thing so im not worried about it.

as for the discomfort it could be a long wait for the rib and breast pains to diminish.... im almost 4 years past my first lot of treatment and still have boob pains on that side (and very annoying itch) and im 1 year past surgery and 6 months post chemo on the other side and have had rib pain for around 9 months but not as much boob pain but the occassional shooting one.

Lx

Lazydaisy1

hi Ann and everyone - just seen the surgeon ..... well the surgeons accomplice!! and he was sooooooo lovely . Wished I'd had him all the way through. I think he was of 'Middle Eastern descent' and around fiftyish but unlike his 'boss' he really inspired confidence in my prognosis. He said that the 'rib' pain would diminish with time and that all was well. The stabbing pains and swelling ( wasn't there today damn' would also slowly go just to be patient. So all in all everything is going to schedule.

Did ask him again about the lack of clearance near the chest wall and rib and he read through my notes and said there was no evidence of this and that I must have 'misunderstood'. As if! two doctors said this and I saw a letter on the computer stating that it was a cause for concern even my husband confirmed it as he has been in each time I've had a consultancy. Anyway you cannot fight the system so I'll monitor myself very carefully even if I am labeled a hypochondriac.

izzypal

Hello Ladies,
Went on twice sorry just having one of those days !!!

izzypal

Hello Ladies,
Went to the doctors today and she could not have been more helpful, makes a change!!
After checking out my op site she said that there are a couple of large lumps on the underside of the scar and still a lot of swelling ,don't know why. She gave me codeine,and said I should come back if it hasn't got any better in a few days,also have another app with her on 1st. July.
At least I felt that I had not turned into a whimp after all! She also said that she's still waiting for most of my results from the pathology dept.At least she knew why I was there today!

I hope everyone is having a good day today,

Best Wishes,

Isabelle xxx

Lazydaisy1

Hi Anne - hope all went well - thinking of you and loads of positive thoughts winging their way to you - Stephanie xx

RECS

I'm with Sandra on this one - rant away and load up on pain killers - there are no prizes for heroics !

Seriously go easy on yourself. My SNB and WLE scars both would have healed by now if it wasn't for chemo and rads but the SNB is always gonna take time cause of where it is - your arm moves all the time even when you think you are just sitting on the couch and movement doesn't help it. Neither does keeping it immobile right enough !!

A tip from me is that after surgery I found it useful to sleep with a pillow underneath my sore side if you know what I mean - that way I couldn't roll over in the night onto my sore arm cause the pillow was in the way . I don't need it now but you are only 3 weeks out so it might help.

Hug xx

sandra4

Hi Isabelle,
Got that rant out of the way!! Lol
Just thought l would try and make you feel better!.............
Having had a lump. and aux clearance in March
A clearer margin in April
And a Mastectomy in May.
For all three ops l only had painkillers for the first day, and only because the hospital insisted! My surgeon said he was surprised l hadn't needed more, but as l explained to him........no sense no feelings! Lol
If you need tablets, then you take them, why on earth should you suffer when there is no need! we are all different, you do what suits you.
As for OH, well we know about these farmers, no pain no gain! tell him where he can shove his thoughts, and tell that prize bull to keep out of the way, while he does so!
Good luck with your GP, hope she remembers you!
Hugs
Sandra xxx

izzypal

Hello Ladies,
Many thanks you have put my mind at rest, so perhaps I'm not really just a whimp after all, didn't get much sleep with it last night.
I've just spoken to a friend on the phone, she had crystals which were benign removed some years ago and when I mentioned that I was still having some pain she implied that I am just soft and that she didn't take any pain relief after a couple of days, don't some people just p--s you off, then again she is superwoman at work!
Also my OH thinks I should be ok by now and shouldn't need any tablets. Mind you he is a farmer and if it was one of his prize bulls or cows he would I think show more concern for them, if you haven't got four legs and a tail round here you just have to get on with it!!!
Sorry to have a rant, going to see my GP this morning so i'll see what she has to say, last time I saw her she didn't even know I had bc!

Best Wishes to you all and thank you,

Isabelle xxx

RECS

Ladies hate to break this to you but I had my WLE and SNB in September last year and still feel tender/sore.

My SNB scar is sore pretty much all the time but is healing well and my breast is just tender so if for example someone gives me a hug that is too enthusiastic I can really jump with pain.

All of which I am assured is normal and it is healing well.

At least surgery is over, good luck and take care xxx

ickleme123

Morning Ladies,
I too had a WLE & Sentinal node biopsy 3 weeks ago, at hospital this afternoon for results of op and to be referred to onc (i hope), I too am having quite alot of pain, dont take pain killers every day,just when needed but I too thought I would be over this by now and thought I was a wimp too Isabelle, but maybe not if I'm not the only one
Tracey
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

izzypal

Hello Ladies,
I had a WLE and SNB three weeks ago and am waiting for appointment with onc to see about starting rads in a few weeks time.
I thought I would feel much better by now and was feeling a bit of a whimp as I am still getting quite a bit of pain on my op site, it sounds like some people do get ongoing pain for some time. Am I being too soft or is it quite normal to still have to take pain relief at this time?

Best Wishes

Isabelle xxx

cleesyB

Hi Ladies

Just found this thread after posting another about exactly the same problem. Much more reasurred now I have read all your posts. I am due for a prosthesis fitting on the 8th June (finished rads just over 3 weeks ago and boob has been quite 'active' - far worse than it was post surgeries so I have been a little worried). Will get it all checked at hospital appointment though. Thanks all for reasurring me a bit although the prospect that this could be long term is not a very pleasant one - still better than bc though :).

Leigh x

Ann_04

Lazydaisy1 - My appt is Tuesday. Perhaps we can compare notes.

Ann x

Lazydaisy1

Ummmmmmmm just wondering if I have anything to worry about! I also get really sore and achy around ribs near rads / surgery area - finished rads in Feb 10 don't have it all the time but quite frequently and get really sore at times. Seeing surgeon on Wednesday but really don't want to seem a hypochondriac as he said when I was first diagnosed that I'd think every ache and pain would be cancer.

mandeville

Thanks Ann I appreciate that.

The photo was taken in the Maldives I am very very lucky and have been there three times, I did have a photo of me on the forum taken when the snow was on the ground, but I reckoned that a sunny photo was much more cheerful.

phillippa x

Ann_04

Phillipa - My appt with the surgeon is next week and I shall ask him.

I love your photo, by the way.

Ann x

mandeville

It just seems to be there when I over do things and like today when I have stayed at work for longer than I have been.

I have another appointment to see the oncologist at the start of August for a check up so if I'm still feeling it I'll ask him. I was told by another cancer patient that rad side effects can be with you for years...what joy!!

Phillippa x

Ann_04

Cathy - What was your other thread called?

Ann x

Ann_04

I don't get stabbing pains, it's more of an ache if I do anything mildly strenuous.

Phillipa - I find I can ache anywhere if I do anything strenuous, like gardening. I think it is the low oestrogen. If it has gone now, it is probably nothing to worry about. It has just turned our bodies into those of 80 year olds!

Ann x

Reanne

Hi
I started a similar thread yesterday as I had a WLE (very small area compared to most, I am told) and rads April 2008. Hurt a bit during rads, then nothing much. Recently, it has been really painful with the stabbing type of pains. It comes and goes which makes me hopeful nothing sinister and I can't really identify where exactly the pain is coming from.

mandeville

Hi Ladies

Have any of you noticed any aches and pains in your back and ribs after doing anything strenuous? I did my first bit of manual labour at the weekend (up a ladder trying to help other half stick down the felt on the shed roof!) and my back and arm ached all the rest of the afternoon. It's gone off now but it worried me a bit afterwards.

Phillippa x

Lulu34

stabbing pains are usually as a result of radiation therapy, however approx 25% of women will continue have breast pain (not the stabbing type) beyond 1 year from surgery and about 5% will continue to have pain at 5 years.

if your worried get it checked but once you know what it is then you tend to relax a bit, but if you get any new symptoms always mention it and get it checked out first....

i have pain (and a very annoying itch) in my right breast from WLE 4 years ago and milder tenderness (but no itch thank god) in my left breast which is 1 year from WLE.

Lx

lah60

Hi

I still get pains and discomfort 14 months after surgery and a year after rads finished. My surgeon told me it can take a year for everything to settle down - especially after rads.

I have developed mild lymphodema in the breast but not where I get the stabbing pains.

Lynn

Philidel

Following on from a couple of comments about how long it takes for breast tissue to recover from rads...
I have an appointment to see my surgeon in July as I have an area of fibrosis & a skin adhesion where the tumour was (apparently just bad luck on my part) and I can have some corrective surgery. However, this can't be until at least a year after I finished rads because the blood vessels need at least that time to recover.

Eliza

My surgery was late Nov 08 and I finished rads in March 09. I still get the occasional stabbing pains, which started after rads, but much less frequently now. I also get occasional itching, Finty, and for no obvious reason. Like you, Ann, I find that if I do anything particularly strenuous I get discomfort at the surgery site. It happens if I've pushed my mother in her wheelchair for any distance - especially if we've gone uphill.

I've had my 1 year mammogram (in November) and I took painkillers before it. It was not a pleasant experience but in the end it wasn't as bad as I had feared.

Eliza xx

Lazydaisy1

Thanks Eva - Nichole I didn't realise that either !

Lazydaisy1

Hi Ann - oh so slowly - went out for a walk around the local RSPB lodge , wanted to put myself into a bit of a training prog. well at least to give myself a benchmark for how fit ( or not) I am and really over did it - stupid , very stupid 3k and a slow incline was a step too far brought back all the memories not a good place to be. Really a bit skittish about any permanent lung damage ( really thinking some old Anglo Saxon words right now). Come so far since dx and stuff it up - really thinking it's my own fault because if I'd read the signs on the Saturday and Sunday I might not be in this pickle now. Honestly Ann it makes the Cancer recede into the distance !! sorry for winging that will teach you !! Stephanie XX

Ann_04

Hi lazydaisy. How are you now, after your episode? My appt with my surgeon is also on 9th June.

eva-nicole - Yes, it is when I carry heavy things or have gone a bit over the top with the pruning. It then lasts for a couple of days. Interesting what you were told about rads.

Ann xx

Lazydaisy1

Hi Ann and Eva my 'timeline' is close to yours op Nov. 10 and yes I also get tenderness , itching plus stabbing pains all around the boob. I still am of the opinion that Tamox. is still in my system . Do get v. tender around node site and often cannot lay on that side at night.
seeing surgeon on June 9th so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say. Abit 'Jack the Lad ' so don't hold out for any help - nice piece of surgery though! Did think once I'D healed all this would be over but it is dragging on a bit. Sx

eva_nicole

i stil get breast pain- stabbing type, and achy. I had my surgeries in Sept/Oct last year, then FEC, and rads March/April this year.

i find it worse if i try to carry anything too heavy- like a full watering can. Was told by the rads team that breast tissue takes ages to recover from surgery/rads
eva

Ann_04

Thanks, ladies. I don't get stabbing pains, it is more of an ache (which may be due to rads) and also tenderness when I lie on my side, as that was where the lump was.

I have always found mammograms excruciatingly painful and I am no wimp. I put it down to being on HRT and was hoping that they may not be as bad since stopping. My first one since dx will be around Aug/Sept, so I shall find out then.

I have just returned from my GP, who carries out minor surgery. I had a lipoma (fatty lump) removed from my hip. Piece of cake, compared with my WLE/SNB!!!

Ann xx

carmcg1

oh no, im going for my first mammo next Tuesday and I have been having nightmares about it, my bad boob is so tender and sore and the thought of it being clamped in that bloody machine just scares me, totally dreading the whole experience and doesnt help that 1st June when I get it done was when I was diagnosed last year!!! how thoughtful of them to invite me for my mammo on that date as if I needed reminding!!!!

Carol xx

lolly73

Hi Ann

I had wle in feb 08 and rads in april/may 08. I still get stabbing pains from the rads and that breast is much more tender than the other one, still cant lye on front. I think its more from rads than the surgery and bcn says it may always be tender. Annual mammo on that breast is hell!

Obviously everyone is different so hopefully yours may not last too long.

Lauren

Philidel

I'm 14 months on from surgery and though I don't have discomfort as such, I still have odd sensations from the nerve re-attachment from lymph node removal. There's a patch on my boob that registers touch at the back of my armpit, where it's almost completely numb. How wierd is that!
Plus I still get a little cracking of the nipple from the radiotherapy if I forget to moisturise.
I guess all these things take a while to settle.

SuziD

My timeline was very similar and I'm fine but I do have small boobs, small lump (9mm) and wear an exceptionally rigid sports bra but run and horse ride fine.

finty

I don;t think it is unusual - I still get occasional stabbing pains from WLE last November, and occasional itching. The itch worries me as that was my original symptom, but I have had various scans for other issues and they are all clear. It's odd isn't it - to go on for so long?

Ann_04

WLE: How long did you have breast discomfort?

I had a WLE and SNB last September and then rads last Dec/Jan. Everything appears to have healed up well but I still get breast discomfort from the surgery, especially if I do anything strenuous. I would have thought it would be ok by now. Did anyone else have this problem?

I am seeing my surgeon for a follow-up appt in June and will ask. I am not suggesting there is anything wrong as such, but I just wondered if I am unusual.

Ann x