WLE & SNB

Big day tomorrow. WLE & SNB , Im nervous but i can’t wait to get this cancer out. Then the wait to find out if its spread into the lymph nodes and what further treatment will I be having. |I know I’ll have rads but probs Chemo . To be honest Ive not waited long it just feels like forever, Just feels like I’m in stasis waiting for my life to start again.

hi hope you feel ok after your surgery the worst part for me after was my throat was sore the wounds were fine not painful just uuncomfortable Unfortunately it is waiting time again but it will soon pass cant tell you to stop worrying as that wont happen but whatever the outcome re-results it will be treated. i am just a bit further on and it does get easier first hurdle over with am thinking about you let me know how you are doing get plenty of rest Gill x

Well surgery went ok…Bit of a hiccup ended up being allergic to the dye for SNB typical lol. All done now though, my throat hurts more than my wounds though. Nevermind .
Its the waiting, another 2 weeks and I’ll have an idea of any spread and what the next stesp are. So fingers and toes crossed :smiley:

Hi pips64, lots of iced drinks and lollies or ice cream plus gargle with TCP. Tasts disgusting but where you had the tube down your throat it has left it bruised and sore. The TCP should be just a drop in some water and gargle. I had a really bad throat which hurt more than the op and took a week to go.
The waiting bit in between is the worse. I found that through each stage of diagnosis. I found that once I knew what I had I could deal with it and just wanted to get going getting the b----y cancer out. Just be aware as I had no idea this could happen, you might need to have another op to get clear margins. No one warned me this and whilst it was good news it had not spread to the nodes in my case I had to go back for second op( another sore throat) two weeks after.
Hopefully you won’t need to, but at least knowing this is quite normal ( a lot of ladies on this site have had too). I met two other ladies in hospital who also had to have further surgery and we have kept in touch since comparing how we are getting on.
Another tip I picked up is ask if you can have your path lab report as they don’t offer it and you can at least ask the nurses here on this site or your breast care nurse any questions and you know what you are dealing with. A whole lot of new medical jargon to understand!.
Take care of yourself a few treats and try and keep busy as that helps also. Two weeks seem a long way off and write down any possible questions ready and take someone with you as their ears will pick up on things you might miss. Katy.

Some top tips from Katykookabura there! Katy I am similar to you , I need a re-excision to get a wider margin on one side. pesky tumour all gone and all clear SNB (Thank you God ! ). I have to wait until 6th August for my next op ( 4 weeks) . They have kindly listed me for surgery at 7am, the day after my birthday to ensure I don’t have too much fun Lol ! Kathy xx

Hi Kathy, oh dear no drinking on your Birthday then? I know a lot of ladies reading this blog will be going through a lot more than I did but each one of us has a different cancer story to tell and whatever they find the initial fear is the same.
I have had a crap week as heard of a friend who had similar to me and her cancer has come back.
Saw my GP Tuesday as had reaction to rad treatment and been treated with high dose of steroids which has helped but still had poor lung function test. Apparently time is the healer and this does happen to some who have rad treatment just my luck!
The two ops did get all the tumour out and this delayed me starting the rad treatment so I just hope that the rad treatment and Anastrozole will kick the cancer into touch!.
I feel lucky though firstly because the mammogram picked it up no lump just a long thin line growing in a breast duct. The surgeon said it was a waste of time examining me as she would not feel anything. How scary was that? . I would never of found it myself .
Feel lucky too we live in the 21st century when cancer treatment has never been so good as it is now and new drugs and treatments being found all the time. So trying to be positive despite feeling a bit rough just now.
So onwards and upwards ! Take care Katy.

Hi Pips et all, know what you mean about that tube down you throat hurt to swallow for days after. Now I have to do it all again on the 6th August. Like Katy I also count my blessings, some of the ladies on here have been or are going through a lot worse then me. I have huge respect for them and their willingness to take the time to reassure and advise both me and others like me . Pips another thing that happened after surgery, about day 4 after surgery I had lots of lymph fluid building up under my SNB scar (saroma), had it drained once because it was causing me so must discomfort and looked like my scar would burst open. The BCN said it would only fill up again and days later it did. When I went for my results, she said just leave it. It needs to find new paths out and 3 weeks on she was right, can feel just a lump of scar tissue under both scars now and I am still a little swollen. Organise some treats , days out and a little pampering while waiting for your results. Hope all goes well for you , big hugs Kathy x

Hi Kathy

I’m going in for my second WLE tomorrow…also 4 weeks from when I had the first one. Like you, I’m just grateful that my SNB came back clear. Today’s my eldest daughter’s birthday too!
Good luck for tomorrow. xx

Good Luck tomorrow Maggie will be thinking of you x Happy birthday to your daughter too x
Love Maggie x

Well the results are in
IDC 25mm
No node involvement
grade 2
trip Neg

SO chemotherapy and Radiotherapy. Off to meet Onc next Wednesday

Hi Pips

It’s good that you had no node involvement but not so good that it’s triple negative. xx

Thanks Maggie. Second WLE a doddle after first one.

Hi Pipps, I hope you are OK ?. another week of waiting so try and keep positive and write your questions down before you go. Might be an idea to speak to your breast care nurse before or the nurses on this site, just so you can understand some of the terminology and what that means for you. It will be normal to have moments when you feel upset as I think all of us get those and I certainly did.
Do you have someone to go with you as another pair of ears and the support will be helpful. My hubby picked up things I did not and was able to help me clarify what was actually said. Take care of yourself, lots of treats help too!. Best wishes , Katy.

Yeah the triple neg part is worrying, I don’t have any node involvement which is great but still worried. BS did ssy reoccurrence usually within 3 yrs if going to happen. Also to see a geneticist as I’m 40 and trip neg early can be sign. So need relevant tests. Just hoping the chemotherapy will sort it and it won’t ve bsck. One day at a time x