WLE and bruising

How much bruising is normal and what’s the difference between bruise and haematoma? I have a black and purple bruise about 5 inches square - I have large breasts but it’s covering most of the underside of my breast - - it’s not hot so am assuming it’s ok … But just a bit worried … Also the fitness cert from hospitals suggests I go back to work on 29th - op was on 22nd … Seems quite soon … I thought I had been told 2 weeks no driving by nurse … Am waiting for nurse to call back but wondered if anyone had advice …

Hi there, I had bilateral WLE 10 months ago and had a lot of bruising afterwards, in fact my consultant apologised to me about it when I went back two weeks later, even though it was fading a bit by then! Both my boobs were black & blue to start with then gravity took over and it showed more on the undersides before eventually disappearing. My understanding of a haematoma is that it is more of a bulge or swelling filled with blood rather than a flat bruise but if you worried then of course you should ask your nurse. I was given the standard 2 week fit for work certificate by the hospital too but my GP was happy to extend it for me. In the end I went back after three weeks although I wasn’t up to much to start with to be honest. We are all different though so I would advise you to do whatever feels right for you. Take care  Sue x

Thanks Sue … Nurse did not call back yet but I am sure it’s just a bruise … The incision ((and bruise) is on the underside so can only see it in the mirror! Just as well! I was shocked he only gave sick note for bare 7 days but I have told work not to expect to see me until at least 8/2 …

Just in case anyone else reads this thread my GP recommended arnica for the bruise - obviously not any use on area under dressing but may be helpful for those with extensive bruising …

Just to day3 months on still faint bruins but also lump deep inside which doctor says is residue of haematoma

Hi just to say that I was sorry to see that you are faced with more surgery … And I wish you all the very best … It’s 3 months on for me now no tamoxifen for me but stopped HRT so going thro menopause … But I think I got off very lightly despite the bruising and soreness that remains … Take care and keep positive