WLE or Mastectomy?

Does anyone who has had a WLE followed by radiotherapy for high grade DCIS think they might have opted for a mastectomy if they had known the recurrence risk was as high as 15% ( some reports say as high as 19% ) half of which could be invasive whereas with a mastectomy the risk of recurrence is as low as 2%? I know a WLE is given when the DCIS is small and is not widespread and the mastectomy has to be given for various other reasons and might be refused if the surgeon doesn’t think it’s necessary in your case. I think I would have preferred to have the different grades of DCIS explained to me and their prognosis when initially  diagnosed instead of being led to believe  DCIS was nothing much to worry about.

Hi 76Ag I have not had treatment yet but I asked should I have a mastectomy and get it over with but my nurse said treatment is discussed by the team (MTP) and if anyone thought a mastectomy was the treatment needed then that is what I would be having. I am just trusting the professionals but I do know what you mean about reducing the risk. Have you had your WLE and radiotherapy?

Thank you 76Ag. I just want to get it done now. My consultant who is lovely, was a bit like yours giving me my results but my BCN has gone through everything with me so I do know that I have high grade DCIS and what they may find when they check it out after the op. This forum has helped immensely with understanding this diagnosis and how everyone is affected by it. I hope you are coping ok with the radium and thank you for your reassurance about the op. I will let you know how I get on x

Ali49 Ali49 Member
11:34 PM
Op all done and everyone was excellent from start to finish. Didn’t see a doctor afterwards so just have my follow up apt in 2 weeks now. After all the worry about having general anaesthetic it was fine.

Hi Ali49. Glad everything went well with your op and you found you had been worrying needlessly about the anaesthetic. Hope your results in two weeks are good. Let us know.
Agnes

Hi  I agree with you the the hardest thing about all of this is the waiting. I waited 2 weeks after my biopsies for results but then only a week and a bit for my op. I am now waiting another 2 weeks for the results from the op and praying that they will be good. I think I am so relieved that the op was okay so I am trying to stay in the day and not jump ahead. Also since this diagnosis EVERYTHING I read and see seems to be about BC! Or is it just me? I hope your wait is not much l9nger xx

A week after WLE surgery and had more pain today than I’ve had all week. Apart from paracetamol the day after the op I have not needed anything. Is this pain because it’s healing? Is it feeling coming back? It is a week and a half before go back so I am just wondering has anyone else experienced this? Thanks x