Wait between first consultation and first round of Chemo

Hi there,

I live in the Middle East and have recently found out I have multi-centric Breast Cancer.

I had a mastectomy last thursday and they removed 4 tumours in the breast and 12 lymph nodes as it had spread there.

We have an appt tomorrow morning which will show the full histology report and the Dr can recommend the type of Chemo Treatment which he wants to start in 2-4 weeks.

He fully understands that we want to research London Hospitals or Cancer clinics because we would be closer to home and family could be with us for support during chemo and mind our twin babies.

We are searching blind though because although luckily our insurance covers a number of hospitals in london,

we don’t know if there is a waiting list or if we do decide to head to london we fly this weekend, have a consultation and find out there is a waiting time of 6 weeks or longer for chemo.

I don’t even know if that’s the way they do things first come first serve ?

Basically we are very lost in trying to make the best decision for us and our family for the next year.

I very much trust my doctor here but I want to make sure we are in the best place for support around chemo.

I would really appreciate your experiences.

Many thanks,

Lindy

Hi Lindy

I’m sorry to read you’re having such a tough time at the moment.  If need to talk anything through do give the BCC helpline a call on (+44) 2076 200 077.  Here you can share your questions and concerns with a memeber of staff who will offer you a listening eat as well as emotional support and pratical information.  Lines are usually open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm, although it will not be open on Saturday 15 May due a change over of the telephone system.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator