Waiting and driving myself insane

Hi all,

Even typing this I’m thinking I’m tempting fate :confused: I thought I was coping fairly well and didn’t wish to be a drama queen but it’s really getting to me.

I’m British but have now lived in Malta for 16 years.  We have an excellent NHS system here and the hospital is brilliant.  To cut a very long story short. I went for my annual smear about 5 weeks ago, my gyne chekced my breasts and said there was a mass in my left one.  She said given my age (42) and that I haven’t any family history it’s very likely just glandular and I’ve prpbably noticed when I breast fed my children that one was always more full (which is true).  She said that the Radiologist was due in and it would be a good idea to have a mammogram and take it from there. To cut a long story short, the Radiologist also did an Ultrasound and said that although very likely glandular (letter says 'scattered fibroglandular density (25-25% gladnular) no signs of neoplasia and BI-RADS-benign findings) he referred me to the breast clinic at hospital. I then had more imaging and another ultrasound (couldn’t be seen on that one) and then a stereo (I think they called it that) biopsy (that was on Monday). I now have a 2 week wait!?

I asked the Doctor at the hospital what did she think it was and I would rather know what she was thinking, she said that in her honest professional opinion she was 99% sure if was just glandular but given I hadn’t any previous mammogram images to refer to they want to be safe.

Any tips or guildance for me??

Hi

The waiting is the worst part, everyone of us that has found a lump or had a mamogram can testify to that I’m sure!  You can’t help but worry about what the results will be and what it will mean for you and your family.  Acknowledge your fear, say it out loud, but then try and get on with the everyday monotony of life, unfortunately there is nothing we can do to speed up time passing.  

Its lucky that the medical team seem to be very thorough in making sure you are ok, I hope you can take comfort in that as if you do need to go on and have treatment it bodes well :slight_smile:

Obviously I hope that your results come back clear, good luck and keep us posted.