Waiting for MRI scan & core biopsy results

Hello, I’m new here. I had all my tests done yesterday (mammogram, ultrasound & core biopsy) and at the end of the appointment the consultant told me he was fairly certain that I have breast cancer. I have to wait a week for the results (think this will be the longest week ever.) In the meantime I will have an MRI scan. I was wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation as me. Are they doing an MRI to see if it had spread anywhere else? I know I should’ve asked at my appointment but I was in such a state of shock I didn’t really take it in and now I’m lying awake at 4am with questions going round in my head. I am 35yrs old & have a 5yr old daughter. I don’t know how I’m going to get through this week of waiting.

Hi Twinks77

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, it sounds like you’re going through a pretty worrying and difficult time at the moment. I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their support and understanding.

In the meantime it might be helfpul for you to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff. Here you can ask the questions you have and share your concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Twinks77
Sorry that you have had to joint this forum but there is so much support on here and everyone has or is going through something similar to you. I had a MRI scan as well after my mammogram, scan and biopsy. I think it is just an extra check which in a way I think is good that they are being so thorough and dont miss anything. I know that the waiting is the hardest it really was for me. My way of getting through it was to try and keep busy and I am sure your little daughter will do that for you. My friend at work who has just been through this said to me to try and keep everything as normal as you can, I know that this is easier said than done, but you will definately get through this. Just remember you will get all the support and hugs on here that you need.
Thinking of you.
Lee X

Hey Twinks i am sorry that you have had to join us on here, but can reassure you whatever your needs this group is amazing for giving support and plenty of hugs when you need them most. The waiting is the worst part of this journey that you have found yourself on. I too had my mammogram and ultrasound and was told they had found something suspicious that needed further investigation… I waited a week for my biopsy, then waited a week for the results which confirmed what I didnt want to hear. After that i had my MRI and that is a precautionery measure, they are being thorough, to make sure it hasn’t spread… T doesnt automatically mean hat they know it has spread. It will give you peace of mind that you’ve had a full mot. My MRI was clear and most are clear… The waiting room is tough, it gives you sleeplesS night and endless hours of worry because you just dont know… Its the not knowing that is so hard and i really feel for you… Sending you. Big hugs right now! Sorry my typing is a bit all overnplace as im on day three of chemo so head a bit fuzzy but coping ok. Once you know, and it may all be clear… You can moveforward from the waiting and hopefully be getting on with your life having received great news… If its not the best news then we are here to talk to you, support you, listen and care… When do you get the results? Keep yourself as busy as possible… ITs better for your head and the time will pass easier… Be kind to yourself, treat yourself and surround yourself with the people who you love most… Remember you may be all clear… You will get through this!
Lynne xxx

Thank you so much, your messages have been a great comfort to me. I get my results next Weds, hopefully they can squeeze the MRI in before then as I can’t handle anymore waiting, it’s so horrible. I’m trying to stay positive but feel like I’m in a daze, it all seems to have happened so quickly. I am particularly struggling with spending time with my little girl, I can’t look at her without feeling like I’ve let her down. I feel so awful that she may very well be the kid at school with ‘the mum who has cancer’ it’s just awful. I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through Lynne, but glad that you are coping ok with it all. its very encouraging to me.
xxx

Hi

The waiting is the hardest part, I had the same has you and tmen a breast MRI, an MRI can show up a lot of false positive results, so when I had mine they thought there was another area, so that had to be biopsied, which thankfully turned out to be breast tissue, it made the difference of lumpectomy or mastectomy.

good luck, things do get better once you know all your rresults

Hi x I was like you on the 11th Dec & it was so hard not knowing & things always seem worse at 2am when your the only one awake !! It was the longest week in the world & even though I didn’t get the result I was hoping for somehow you cope & deal with it & the not knowing was the worst bit . Like you I have a 6 year old & it’s very hard not to show your worry however I found my patience levels were a bit thinner than normal … It was as though my stress levels were full up & any slightest extra bit of stress put me over ! I found getting a walk in the park or beach helped plus I had Christmas to take my mind off things
keep going , keep busy & keep active so it helps you sleep , don’t google for information & most of all good luck xx

Well I had my results today. Grade 2. The MRI was clear thank goodness, the consultant is very hopeful that no lymph nodes are affected bit won’t know for sure until after surgery (scheduled for Weds). Have opted for a lumpectomy on advice of surgeon & breast care nurse (seeing a different consultant on Fri just for a third opinion!)
I feel better now that I know, even though the news wasn’t great, it was probably the best I could’ve hoped for given the circumstances.
I am not sure yet whether I will definitely be having chemo before radiation. That is probably the bit I’m most dreading. one step at a time though I guess.
i am determined to remain resolutely positive! Would welcome any comments/advice from anyone who’s been there already. Especially what helped you to keep your spirits up. I am having my first ever session of reiki tomorrow, thought I’d give it a go. And a spa day and massage with the girls on Saturday. Figured I have an excuse to spoil myself a bit now!
xxx