Waiting for biopsieresults.

Hi there,
im so glad to read so maney possitive ladies on this site. I am awaiting the results of a biopsie which was taken on the 14th…valentines day of all days!..my story started when the first sat of the New yesr i noticed a sore pach on my breast…on closer inspection i felt a lump…an all of a sudden large lump which seemed to appear from nowhere…of course on the monday i went straight to see my GP who informed me that it was nothing to worry about and that just incase he was going to refer me…during the next seven days my redness became more pronaounced and around the lump apeared a dark bruise…i reterned to the GP who just gave me antibiotics for infection and just said i was in the system…i was under the impression that in the uk yr supposed to be seen within 2 weeks with a noticible lump…3 weeks later on the 28th of Jan i had my first breast clinic appointment were the breast consultant said it was nothing…granted id had a mammagram and scan and nothing really showed up but the lump and the bruising were there so surely id have a biopsie…no…id have to wait 10 days to see another breast syrgen. So on the 14th i walked in…he had one look and took a circular piece of breast the size of a fifty pence away…
So hear i am waiting until the 26th of Feb for my results…cancer wasnt mentioned but i know it may well be…i dont know quite what to feel…and dont know how i will react should it be the big C xxx How did you ladies cope with the wait and if faced with bad news…how did you react?

Hi Melloney,

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. One thing I was told when I got my biopsy results was that although cancers “grow erratically” they are not growing constantly; I had an average cancer which has a growth cycle of about 100 days. This implies that the situation doesn’t change a huge amount in a month.

I had a number bad days (almost constant at the beginning) with sleepless nights, but I would urge you not to scour the internet to find answers, there is a lot of out of date and inaccurate information out there which will terrify you. Stick to this site and Macmillan, both of which are updated reguarly.

I found it useful to make lists of questions I wanted to know. Most were answered as a matter of course, but it felt as if I was in control of the situation by being proactive. Excerting some control over the situation is so important. I felt a bit shellshocked for the first few weeks as I had 3 weeks from first diagnosis to operation. I have been assured that there is nothing other than a space on the surgeons list for the speed of treatment, but the devil on my left shoulder still asks if I am sure I believe them!

I spend a lot of time reading posts on this site, but get such strength from the information and advice that people give. It helps to know that there are lots of other people out there who understand what is happening. You will feel angry, upset, furious, “why me” but will come round to a fighting spirit. The waiting is the worst. When you get your fill diagnosis and if needed treatment plan, you will feel much better,

Best of luck with your results, and remember we are all here to support each other through this.

hugs,
MM