Waiting for biopsy results

hello, this is my first post so really unsure where to start. I felt a lump in my breast 5 weeks ago, went to the doctor, he wasnt concerned but I paid to see a private consultant for a second opinion, i had an ultrasound and both consultants said they weren’t worried but to have a core biopsy as its protocol. I had my biopsy tuesday and awaiting the results. Again I was told it looked fine and again I was told it looks ok not worry. I can’t stop thinking something is wrong. My son turned 1 on Wednesday and all I can think is I won’t see him grow up. I’m only 30. My husband has been fantastic. Can anyone else tell me what they were told, whether its normal to be told not to worry? I get my results 15th August, I’m so scared. Any help and advise would be great. The lump was completely round and had no funny edges xxx

Hi Nat, try not to worry too much, I know much easier said than done. The majority of breast lumps turn out NOT to be breast cancer. Your consultants are the experts and I’m sure they wouldn’t have said that they weren’t worried if they had thought that anything wasn’t right. They had to do a biopsy because that’s the only way to know for sure what they are dealing with - they need to grow the tissue sample in the lab and then examine it microscopically before they can tell what it is. Even if it does turn out to be BC, and more likely than not it won’t, the treatments have come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years and it is definitely treatable. You are in a very scary place at the moment, and we’ve all been there, as you don’t yet know what you are facing, if anything. It’s like being on a rudderless ship on a very stormy sea, you are completely out of control and won’t really regain any measure of that control until you have your results. In the mean time try to keep yourself busy and don’t google, you’ll only get out of date or plain inaccurate information, your imagination will run riot and you’ll scare yourself to death. Stay on this site or MacMillan, let us know how you get on, and if you do have to join our exclusive but very friendly club you’ll get lots of help and support from us. Sending you ((big hugs)) take care, Pat x

Hi Nat, sorry you are going through this stressful time. As Pat says the majority of lumps turn out not to be cancer. You seemed to have tackled it quickly by going private and they have been thorough so at least no hanging about waiting to be seen, etc.
The period of time needed for your results to be ready is due to the process they examine the tissue in histology and it seems to be a standard period of time for everyone. Stick on this site and try not to bog yourself down guessing what it is etc.
Try and keep busy if possible as I did, as it makes the time go quicker! . Let us know how it goes, best wishes, Kathy.

Hi Nat, sorry you are going through this stressful time. As Pat says the majority of lumps turn out not to be cancer. You seemed to have tackled it quickly by going private and they have been thorough so at least no hanging about waiting to be seen, etc.
The period of time needed for your results to be ready is due to the process they examine the tissue in histology and it seems to be a standard period of time for everyone. Stick on this site and try not to bog yourself down guessing what it is etc.
Try and keep busy if possible as I did, as it makes the time go quicker! . Let us know how it goes, best wishes, Kathy.

Hi Pat, thank you very much for your reply. How long do the results normally take? Radiologist told me 7 days but then the day after my biopsy a letter was sent for an appointment. Can they don’t tell you over the phone if its good news? Sorry for so many questions x

Ah thanks Kathy xx

I think the doctors have a pretty good idea once the biopsy is taken if its cancer, mine told me straight away and said well it will need to come out but obviously they have to send it for testing as this is protocol. So take some reassurance and great that you have be vigilant in following up your concerns. X

Carrie35 hope you don’t mind me asking but did you suspect something was wrong or was it a shock x

Hi Nat, my first breast clinic appointment was Jan 8th when I had a clinical exam by the consultant who sent me upstairs for a mammogram and ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a small lump, the sonographer showed me it on the screen and said she thought it looked to be less than 1cm , by this time I knew in my own mind that with my age (61) it was likely to be cancer. I then had a biopsy taken using ultrasound to guide the needle, all this was done on the same morning. Exactly a week later I went back to see the consultant who confirmed it was BC and offered me the choice of a mastectomy or a lumpectomy, I chose the lumpectomy as the survival stas are the same for both ops. I had my op and a sentinal node biopsy done 6 days later in day surgery. I got my path results and treatment plan at an appointment with the BC nurse a week later, I think I saw her and not the consultant as my treatment was to be rads and hormone therapy for 5 years, so quite minimal really. I know a few women who have had their results over the phone but I believe this to be rare and they won’t do it if it’s not good news as they obviously don’t know how people are going to react. Hope this answers your questions, best of luck Pat x

hi Pat thank you for your message, so you’ve been diagnosed quite recently? You sound like a really strong lady and I appreciate you responding to me, guess I’m just asking for help and I genuinely don’t know what to expect? I’m going to call my consultant tomorrow to see when my results are back and if I can see her sooner, can’t wait another 11 days it’s driving me wild, everyone says well it can’t be serious if they aren’t seeing you till then but it’s just standard I think. Oh well fingers crossed xx

Hi Nat, I’m not really that strong, just been there and am coming out the other side. Most days I’m fine and have come to terms with the ‘new’ me, but I do have the odd wobble and occasional meltdown for no apparent reason e.g. suddenly became very tearful whilst in the supermarket with OH the other day- no idea why! Good luck with your results, Pat x

Hi Nat. I know this is a very hard time for you but please be assured that the majority of breast lumps aren’t cancerous. The bs, us people (sorry dont know proper name!) do scans and breast biopsies all the time and have a pretty good idea what they’re looking at. I had four biopsies and was told there and then to expect the worse, three of the lumps were BC but one was just fatty tissue. So I would feel assured that if they’ve told you not to worry there’s a good chance it’s nothing sinister.
Good luck and as others have said keep busy and think positive (And don’t Google!!)
Emma x

Hi Emma thank you for your reply. I have called and left a message for the hospital to call me back, I’ve explained I want to know when my results are due in as I cannot wait until 15th. Feels like I’m going crazy! How are you coping x

Hi Everyone, had a call today from the bcn to tell me my biopsy results are fine and ill still see my private consultant to get the sign off. Thank you for your kind words and support xxx

Nat thanks for posting your good news on here. You did everything right getting your lump checked out. There are lots of young women who visit the Breast Cancer care site especially when they are in that worrying, waiting stage. Your posts will help and reassure them that getting lumps checked out can have good outcomes.After all the turmoill of the past few weeks , I hope you can have a family treat to celebrate your son’s 1st birthday and your good news. Kathy x