73.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting for op ! Not feeling very with it !

118 REPLIES 118
Fuertelover

Re: Waiting for op ! Not feeling very with it ! April 12th

Just to say to those worried about their op tomorrow, the lead up is much worse, especially as I was last on the list, try & be first ! Had been fasting since 6 pm on the Sunday & went down starving &dehydrated after 4pm, I just wanted to have it done, a quick chat before going in & you don't remember anything else, until you are wheeled back to the ward! Luckily I didn't have any adverse reactions & although I had been meant to stay overnight, I chose to come home to my own bed......lovely !

I am now 8 days after & slowly getting back to normal, luckily very little pain & I have done exercises since first day.

I hope everything goes well for all on tomorrows list, hugs for you all

Diane x

Hoarder

Re: Waiting for op ! Not feeling very with it !

my op is 12th April, feeling anxious, best wishes
Hoarder

Hi my op is 12th April too,  anxious !!

Rooty

Optimissy64 - I decided to take it at night as well for similar reasons. i did the same thing with my HRT and that worked really well for me. So far i have noticed on waking that i have a very dry mouth, dry eyes and some pricky skin and mild stiffness.I also started using Relens yesterday as I realised that vaginal dryness was happening. That may be related to me having to come off HRT when I was diagnosed, or the Anastrozole kicking in quickly. I didn't have it before HRT but the Replens will hopefully do the trick.

Debbie61 - Thank you so much, I really needed to hear that today. I'm OK, I just walked my dogs and did some other errands and now I'm back home and having a rest. I want so much to be allowed to just carry on doing the things that I know are good for me - walking, cooking, seeing friends and so on. I"ve always been interested in fashion and beauty and find it helps to put my lipstick on and my favourite perfume and dress in a way that reminds me I am still Ruth on the inside. 

Debbie61

Ps. I take mine with my breakfast. Oh, and I did have hot flushes but they seem to have calmed down now.

Debbie61

Hi Rooty. I have now been on daily anastrazole for a year. Like you I read all the negative comments about all the terrible side effects and absolutely dreaded taking it. A year on and yes, I am bit stiffer in my joints, especially first thing, but I soon loosen up and really it's not that bad. No other side effects. I have also heard that the brand makes a difference - I use one called Accord. Hope that helps. Debbie x

Optimissy64

Thanks for the feedback Rooty - so glad it was useful. I take my tablet just before bed and I find that works for me, as during the hours when the dose would be most "active" I'm asleep anyway, but that may just be my theory but it works for me. Maybe persevere with the dreaded little tablet for a bit to see if things settle down? So sorry to hear you have other problems re your partner's condition - really adds to the S**t that breast cancer dishes out. Take care of yourself and "one day at a time" - cliche, but noneless true. XXX

Rooty

Iladybowler

I have decided to just wait and if I notice the effects intensifying give my BC nurse a ring. I'm having a word with myself to not panic and just give my body a chance to get used to it. 

Fun is definitely still firmly on the agenda here as well. Humour is one of the things that attracted me to my partner in thee first place and it has already seen us through some tough times in the past. When one of us is having a tough day at the moment we let them be sad or grumpy and it tends to pass more quickly that way. We are far more likely to be looking for fun or laughing at ourselves than anything else though. I don't like the phrase "positive thinking" but our mindset tends to be about noticing the ways we are lucky. 

ladybowler
Community Champion

DIane

No we dont have family around us, my mum is elderly and does not live here. To be honest as long as he can stay at this stage for as long as possible, but as you say we do have fun as well 🙂

Fuertelover

Hi Helena

It must be very difficult for both of you, do you have family around? My mother always used to say, "No fun in getting old". It is harder, but we do have fun as well!

Will wait to see my next step at my appt onApril 19th.

Diane xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Ruth

As it is only another 4/5 days do you think it might be worth just staying on it until your planning appointment otherwise you might confuse your body, I would just give your bcn a quick call.you

Thank you so much, we are just getting on with things, although it is difficult sometimes he is still coming to terms with it and is now housebound, but hey ho you have to make the best of everything really.

Helena 🙂 xx

Rooty

Ladybowler, thank you. Yes, I'm similar with medication. I am going to give it a few more days with the Anastrozole and try not to panic. I have my radiotherapy planning appointment next week and might wait until then before making any decisions.
Thank you, and best wishes to you and your husband as well.
Ruth
Rooty

I didn't have the blue dye either. Some definite nipple soreness here after a few days. I found after the op that pain and numbness moved around my breast every few days. For a few days my nipple felt very electrified, then the pain moved to my scar and so on. All very normal apparently and at no point has it been unbearable. I have found that keeping up with paracetamol every few hours plus switching round support bras to find the best one for any particular day has worked well. Had my operation on March 13th and the pain is starting to dull and settle now. Rest loads as well as that definitely helped me with soreness. 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Rooty

I think the early weeks and months when you are starting a new medication is always the worst as you are trying to get used to 1) taking a tablet which I have always found difficult as I even only take a headache tablet if I really need it and 2) it is at a time when we are trying to get used to what is happening to us. 

I have read on here that some women have found problems and when they have changed the brand of the tablet it has helped, It may be worth giving your bcn a call and ask her advise, she will be able to check with the team.

I am sorry to hear about your partner I agree it does add to the sense of things not being real, sending my best wishes to him .  My partner was diagnosed with MS 18 months ago and is now housebound, so it does add to the mix doesnt it?

Helena

Rooty

@Optimissy64 I wanted to say that actually seeing someone say that they had very few problems with it all was hugely helpful for me. I think I have had very similar treatment as yourself and many others i.e. Lumpectomy and node removal followed by radiotherapy (soon) and Anastrozole which I've just started. I got quite panicky last night after reading so many awful things about Anastrozole and didn't sleep well. I'm trying not to overly focus on how it might be affecting me and I think it might help to just remember that it affects everyone differently. Reading your posts gave me some encouragement in that so thank you xx
Fuertelover

Yes, I still can't get my head around it all & like you it is good to know that I am not the only one. Today, still quite sore under my arm, but not around the nipple, where the maincut is meant to be. I am lucky that I don't appear to have any blue dye!

I am sure we will accept what is going on soon.

Rooty

@ladybowler and @Fuertelover My partner is on the waiting list for a kidney transplant, he will be starting home dialysis around the time I will hopefully be finishing all my treatment (except for Anastrozole). I think that really added to the sense of unrealness about the whole thing. Life is a sod sometimes isn't it. Good to know we're not the only ones. Xx
Rooty

Fuertelover, I had very similar feelings and am at a similar stage in treatment to you having had my op about 4 weeks ago. I still have that unreal feeling, having it about radiotherapy at the moment and at time still can't get my head round the fact I have breast cancer. It comes and goes though, and I just keep trying to remind myself that I'm not the only one, and that it's ok to have good and bad days. Take care x
Rooty

I'm interested to see on here that some of you chose to wait before starting your Anastrozole tablets until after the radiotherapy. I've only taken Anastrozole for two days and am already experiencing a very noticeable drying out effect. My eyes and mouth feel very dry and there is definite vaginal dryness. Given that we have to keep really hydrated for the radiotherapy I'm wondering whether to postpone taking any more until after my 15 sessions are completed. I have my planning meeting with the radiotherapy team next Wednesday and might ask them. 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

I drove myself,  I actually was able to work and do my rads as they were planned to be early afternoon on the 3 mornings that I was allowed to work, that cut the journey there down quite a bit as I was already half way there and on the other two days I went with whatever time they put me in.

The thing to do is to make sure that you drink plenty of fluids, they told me 2 litres a day, this is to counteract the dehydration that comes with the rads, but you are a littlel way off that yet so just concentrate on getting over your op for now.

Helena xxx

Fuertelover

Yes, I was told probably 15 & like you it will be the journey that will be the problem, although not sure how tired you are after them & whether you are able to drive! Did you drive yourself? Xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

I am fine.   I had 20 session of radiotherapy which completed in Jan of this year.  I am now on tamoxifen for 5 years, all in all I have been extremely lucky and I am eternally grateful for that.  The radiotherapy itself was not too bad, it was more the travelliing to/from the daily apts that got to me, I do not like being controlled in that way

Well we are always there beside you all the way my dear xxxx

Fuertelover

How are you now? Can't remember if you were going to have RT, blame the anaesthetic!

I just feel relieved that the tumour has gone, support from here & friends & family has really helped.

Dianex

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

Yay, great to hear from you and that everything went well.  Now is the time to rest remember you have had an aneasthetic so it will affect you for several days.  Make sure you just do the basic exercises for the first week.

You had the same op as me.

Sending you a very gentle hug

Helena xxx

Fuertelover

You obviously had a bigger op, I haven't got a drain, that must be difficult. Let me know how your check up goes, sending positive thoughts! Xxx
LinRowan

Wow Diane, that was a long day for you! I'm so glad to hear it all went well. Here's hoping your recovery continues smoothly.

Best wishes

Lin

Over70

Welcome to a few days of sitting around. I am in week 2 now , had my drain out yesterday and have just tried the " more advanced" exercises. Thought the others were easy, definitely work to be done now.

Look forward to following your progress. 

I am back for 2 week check on Thursday. Back to the waiting game but first hurdle is accomplished for us both.

x

Fuertelover

Thank you for your caring messages, very welcome.All went well, it says it was  a wide local excision of breast. Sampling axillary nodes (Sentinel) on right side. The worst part was all the waiting, both from the diagnosis to op ,then the fasting from my cheese & tomatoes on toast at 6.00pm Sunday to 4.00pm when I had the op. Made sure I drank lots of water & came home about 10.30pm!

Woken by daughter phoning at 9.15 am this morning! Feel okay, bit woozy, but walking well.

Just like to thank everyone for their helpful replies.

Now to get washed & sit down.........not very good at that & been given all my exercises!

Dianexxxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

Hope everything went well today and that you are not in too much pain this evening, get plenty of rest now.

Sending you a very gentle hug

Helena xxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Good luck today Fuertelover.
ann-m
Community Champion

hi fuertelover, I was told by my onc to start the tablets after rads, advice does differ a bit on this, so I just did what I was told!

Like you, Optimissy, I did not find this forum until after surgery as I had a google aversion at the time & just went by what the team told me. I think it is important to bear in mind that problems will understandably be reported on forums as well as providing valuable advice & support. I remember feeling a lot more anxious about starting tamoxifen having read the experiences on here, but all's been well so far. Problems are not necessarily inevitable. 

ann x

Optimissy64

Fuertelover

I was given my prescription for the tablets at my radiotherapy planning session by the oncologist and told i could take them straight way and throughout the rads. However after a few days thought i decided i didn't want to risk 2 lots of possible side effects so I decided to delay taking them until after rads, so took the first one the evening of the last rads session, so about 9 weeks on from surgery. When I saw the oncologist after the rads just for a follow-up i confessed, and he said it was fine to take them either concurrently or after the rads. Phew! Probably should have asked at the time he gave them to me but you can't think of everything.......Yes, this forum is useful, though i didn't find it until after my operation so just went through all the diagnostics and surgery without being too worried - I think i might have worried MORE if I'd read too much about other peoples' experiences to be honest - it can be a bit of a mixed blessing if you read threads that are not relevant to your own experience and I try not to. Glad you are finding it helpful anyway. x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

I was given my prescription when I saw my Oncologist six weeks after my op, he went through everything to do with the radiotherapy treament I was to have.  He said I could start taking them straight away, I was starting rads 4 weeks later or I could wait til then.  I looked at the packet for a week and then decided that I would take the bull by the horns and start them, that was 4 months ago.

Helena xx

Fuertelover

Hi Helena & Optimissy

I am way passed menopause, 73 two weeks ago! My mother had osteoporosis , so when I was sixty or so had bone density done & it was getting a bit low, they put me on those tablets that you had to stay upright for 45 minutes, but they made me ill, consequently I found out I am lactose intolerant & most tablets contain lactose.

my daughter studied nutrition & recommended Bone Support by Cytoplan & thankfully my bone density has stayed stable ever since.

How soon after op did you start on medication? I am so glad I found this forum !💕

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fuertelover

I am on Tamoxifen even though I am post menopausal at 58 years old, but I have osteoporsis in the spine, it was quite amazing I had a bone density test done in August last year as my mum has it and also because I was born with Spina Bifida it was considered a good idea for my bone density to be checked.  As it turned out because of the osteoporosis, which is mild as I understand it, my oncologist out me on tamoxifen rather than the letrozole I would have had being post menopausal, because it is apparently kinder to the bones.

I was told the same as Optimissy about oestrogen being in our fat, I too never knew about that, it is amazing what you find out in this journey.

Sending you a big squishy hug for tomorrow, Helena xxx

Optimissy64

Hi Fuertelover  Anastrozole is the hormone treatment for ER+ ladies who are post-menopausal -( I'm 65). I think Tamoxifen and other things are for ER+ ladies who are pre- or peri-menopausal (though not sure if that is exactly right - maybe others could correct if not right). Not sure how old you are? Anastrozole  is sometimes called Arimedex. The idea is that it stops your fat cells producing oestrogen (no, I didn't know this still happened after the menopause either!) even though ovaries have long since stopped doing this, and as my type of cancer likes oestrogen, it means that any cells floating about, or in the future, won't have such a good chance of developing into new tumours. Apologies for any typos or garbled info - I've just got in from a lovely outdoor session with neighbours in the village involving guitars and wine and singing and much laughter - quite impromptu and very lovely. I'm a bit tiddly and I felt like a student again, and it reinforced for me that there is still so much life after breast cancer, however long I have got - hopefully a lot of years -  but even if not so many, I aim to enjoy them all.

Hic!  Not long till your lump has gone. XXX Big Hug.

Fuertelover

Thank you, hopefully I will progress smoothly through! Excuse my ignorance, but what is Anastozole, only heard of tamoxifen? Hopefully if I do as I am told it should go well !

Optimissy64

Yep, had 15 sessions that started 6 weeks after the lumpectomy and node removal I had on Dec 12th , and finished Rads 10 Feb. That was all fine too - no redness, swelling or much, if any, tiredness. I feel a bit diffident about posting that I had no problems with any of it, as I know some people do struggle with some difficult issues, and our bodies are all different, so it's a bit of a Catch 22 - do I refrain from posting so as not to seem to be having too easy a time of it when others are suffering, or do I post from time to time to reassure people going throught the same course of treatment? I usually opt for the latter, but not too often - also I don't want to tempt fate and have a megga set-back just when I think it's all over!!!!!! Now been on Anastozole for last 7 weeks - so far so good, apart from one day of very unexpected bad back-pain but all OK at the moment...............I feel like the "Optimist who fell 10 stories - he dropped like a falling star - and as he passed each window, he cried "all right so far...." (Spike Miiligan???)

Sorry you won't be able to have a cuppa after, which is my drug of choice! Maybe take a herbal teabag in with you!  Let us know how it all goes. 

Fuertelover

Thanks optimissy, I will have to make do with water, but probably grateful for that, as I am lactose intolerant & can't have ordinary milk, but will also be starving! I hope I have your. Absence of pain. Are you having radiotherapy? Xx
Fuertelover

Must be at least 20 secs long, let's get hugging!xxx

Optimissy64

Good luck tomorrow Fuertelover. I had the same as you are having back in December and this time tomorrow yours will be done and dusted, and if you are anything like me you'll be demanding a cuppa around this time tomorrow, or sooner depending on you op time. "Maybe just start with water..." the nurse said! So I had the water to keep her happy and then asked for a cuppa and got one. Sandwich followed an hour or so later - don't they realise we've been starved since crack of dawn on operation day ! 😉 I didn't get offered morphine - boo- but the paracetamol and Ibupfofin combo worked just fine and I was surprised at the absence of pain - really thought it would be much worse than it actually was. All the best.xxxxxx

Lane

Hugging is good for you ,this forum is great for supporting each other as we have been through it or going through it xx
Fuertelover

We all need hugs, don't think my husband & I have ever hugged as much as we have the last few weeks💗
Raitchr

Hugs to us all ♡

lilneenz

❤❤❤
Fuertelover

I agree,everyone needs as much support as they can get, here's to all💕💕
Jill1998
Community Champion

What a good saying Helena!!!
Lane

Yes we are every single one of us xx here's to us all 💗💗💗💗💗
Fuertelover

With you there!
ladybowler
Community Champion

I have posted this before it is the words on the front of a card that my best friend sent me when I was feeling a bit low after my op

You are Stronger than you think

and Braver than you feel

Helena xxx