Waiting for results of Needle biopsy!

On Tuesday I had a needle biopsy of a lump. The consultant said I needed to return within 2 weeks for the results. He also gave me the numbers for the breast care nurses. Is that routine they give the numbers or is itbecause he knows something I don’t? Is it normal to feel a bit lost whilst waiting for these waiting results?

Hi RMF and welcome to the BCC forums

Whilst you await from your fellow users please feel free to call our helpliners for further support and a listening ear on 0808 800 6000, lines are open today 10-2 and during the week 9-5.

Take care

Lucy

Thankyou Lucy. I’m not a talker but I’m sure if I need to I will. Thanks for letting me know the number in case.

Its normal to be given contact details of the breast care nurse because when you are waiting two weeks for the results it will seem like for ever and you may want to talk to someone.

They are very good and much easier to talk to than the docs .

Hopr thinks go ok for you

The waiting is terrible. ‘Lost’ does not begin to describe how I felt waiting for my needle biopsy results. Try not to overthink. The lump is what it is, you can’t change it, and no amount of worrying will make any difference. Be reassured by the fact that most lumps are NOT cancer, and even if it is, you are on the road to getting it dealt with and out of your system. At your biopsy results consultation, you will be given a treatment plan, so you will know what you’ve got to do, which makes coping so much easier than the awful unknown!

A valuable piece of advice I was given on here is DON’T GOOGLE you’ll scare yourself half to death, a lot of information on the internet is either wrong or out of date, or both. Stick to Breast Cancer Care or Macmillan websites or other reputable ones!

I found it helpful to tell family, colleagues and friends what was happening as I had tremendous support from them, (and it saved having to drop the shock all at once when the biopsy results were not what I wanted to hear!)

I was diagnosed in February/March and I’m now back at work and starting to get life back to normal. It’s been a rough ride, at times, but the worst part was definitely that initial waiting for results!!

Good luck. Don’t forget to post on here, to let us know your results so we can celebrate with you, or support you through the next stages!

Thanks everyone, glad its not just be over the waiting feeling. I have already used google and you are right it is scary so I shall now leave well alone. Will let you know how it turns out and good luck everyone. X

Since I had the biopsy I have had terrible chest cramps so I’m presuming it’s probably anxiety. Did anyone else have this?

I found a lump in my breast but didn’t worry, since most of the information in the media tell you that most lumps, in fact 8 out of 10 are benign. Thinking it would just be fatty tissue, I was horrified when the hospital consultant said he was almost sure it was cancer. I had an ultra sound which showed a 38mm mass. They did a needle biopsy and deep core biopsy’s. Within an hour it was confirmed that it was a carcinoma, this was on the 2nd August.
Tell me I am not the only one who thought the world had come to an end.
The seven days wait for the results of the core biopsy’s to confirm which type and how aggressive it was must have been the worst week of my life.
On the 9th of August a second visit to hospital and after a mammogram, the consultant said the results were that the cancer wasn’t aggressive and it hadn’t spread to my lymph nodes, he also said it was hormone receptive. (feeling a little better)
I had three options, 1 - a full mastectomy, 2 - because of the size, he wasn’t sure but thought I might just be suitable for a lumpectomy, or 3 - anti-oestrogen medication - Letrozole to try to shrink the tumour before surgery. After surgery there would be 3 or 4 weeks of radiotherapy and Letrozole tablets for five years.
I opted for option 3, but I am now worried in case the tablets don’t work and it spreads.
I don’t know anyone who has had breast cancer so can’t ask about their experiences.
I have never had an op before and I am really frightened. I also have COPD and I am on permanent steroids.
I have read all the information which has made it worse, reading about dye, wire, drains, radiotherapy, heart damage.
Can someone who has been through this reassure me.

Hi Wyn,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site who I am sure will be along shortly to give you that support.

To help you along I have put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications you might find helpful, also there’s our freefone helpline where the staff are only a phone call away to answer your questions and to offer that listening ear you sometimes need. Lines are open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2 0808 800 6000.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Is there anyone you could ask to go with you? I found that really helpful. I wasn’t sure whether we would be going out to celebrate the good news or whether she would take notes of all that was said and give me a big hug outside and make sure I got home safely. It turned out to be the 2nd version and I was so glad she was there. But I would have wanted someone there to celebrate too.
I totally agree with the advice not to google. There are too many unknowns to make any sense of what is online. And the helpline on this site is so great - if you have any questions ask them not Dr Google (who woud be struck off in most parts of the world)

Thank you for your reply.
Wyn

Had results today after me having to chase them up. Good news for me however I haven’t been told what the lump is. I have asked to meet with the consultant to discuss the pros and cons of having the lump removed. Any advice from anyone please?

My situation was a big shock. Went for test in Feb/March and everything was clear u couldn’t believe how happy I was. Then I returned to hospital for what I thought was a follow up and a close down. The dr didn’t like feel and gave me a biopsy there and then. Ouch was the word and a swear word. After a wk of waiting ,he then said it was suspicious. MY jaw dropped. That was back in July. I then been to hospital what feels like none stop. I had 2 local biopsies which didn’t hurt or bruise half as much. Dr said lymph nodes clear but boob something there. Returned back on the Monday to be told by surgeon. Lumpectomy 13/8/12. Recovered well movement good returned to work at home aones few hours in office. Which kept me sane waiting to heal and next treatment plan
Month on next hurdle
All I can say is that after I was given all clear they didnt remove lump and said if it changes or boths u return. I didn’t real check as machines said no so keep an eye. I found it in Dec last year and it was removed August this year. This breast cancer is so sly and can be hidden know ur bumps