Waiting for results

Hi everyone, I found a lump in my right breast on 14/10. Took myself straight off to the GP who referred me to our local breast clinic. I’m 31 with no family history so I honestly thought I would go and the consultant who who merrily send me on my way. Not quite the case- he said he wasn’t sure so sent me to ultrasound. At the ultrasound they found another lump (although more likely just a cyst) and a reactive lymph node. They took core biopsies on both and I have my results appointment on Wednesday morning. I’m not normally an anxious person but the wait is killing me. I’ve got two children age 9 and 7 and of course it’s half term this week so trying to keep as busy as possible so I don’t just sit and stare into space!
Have to say our local Breast clinic was fab when I was there last week and it was all run very swiftly but it’s obviously so tense in there.
My question is does abound else have any knowledge/experience of the ultrasound ratings? I got a copy of the letter sent to the GP which specifies how they rated the two lumps.
Any info greatly received- trying my best to stay clear of google as that can be scary!

Hi Taylor85,

I am so glad you have found us - it is a great place for asking questions, although very few of us are ‘medical’ people. There is so much support on this forum for you, no matter what the outcome is going to be.

You are very wise not to Google - as many reports are so out of date and can, for some, be very scary. When anxious one does not always read things properly or check then out. 

There are many publication on the main site, which can give you the answers you may be looking for. I keep my fingers crossed that you will not have to.

Unfortunately I cannot help with regards to ultrasound ratings and I hope someone sees this post, who can. The only thing I know, that if there is any doubt whatsoever they may call you back for a biopsy. Although it sounds scary - the biopsy may still come back clear. Which, I am sure, would be a great relief to you.

The next couple of weeks you may be very anxious with your feelings playing ‘roller coaster’ - most of us have gone through that. It is challenging to have to wait. Sometimes the mind wants to race ahead - what if…etc. - however, you can only cross a bridge, when you have actually arrived at it. I hope you find many distractions, especially with your children during the wait.

Keeping my fingers very firmly crossed for you.

Hugs

Sue x

Hi Sue, thanks so much for your reply. It’s nice to be able to vent a little. I’ve already had core biopsies done on both the lumps so results appointment is in the morning. I’ve absolutely been on a rollercoaster this last week and a bit and at time my mind has gotten totally carried away. However you are right, a bridge cannot be crossed until it is met and I need to remember that.
I didn’t sleep well at all last night and doubt I will tonight to be honest…absolutely dreading tomorrow but on the other hand at least if it is a horrible result I will know and then begin to deal with it all.
Thanks again for your support

Hi taylor85, the waiting is awful isn’t it? I am at the same stage in the process as yourself and get my results on Thursday. Like yourself I went to the hospital thinking that I would be sent on my way after a check from the doc. I am 39 with a 9yr old daughter, really don’t know what I’m going to.tell her if my results aren’t good. Will keep my fingers crossed for you tomorrow.

It’s horrendous and my thoughts are with you Grace22. I haven’t even contemplated what I would tell my kids. My husband is convinced it will all be ok and I’m trying to stay positive but there’s always a niggling feeling in the back of my mind and I most definitely have moments when I just break down and cry- one about an hour ago in fact. Just need to let it out when nobody is watching. Wishing you all the best for Thursday. I’m counting down the hours til my appointment

Hi Taylor and Grace,

good luck with those results xx

its the not knowing, that’s so scary isnt it?. Once you know either way, you can deal with it.

do let us know how it goes…thinking of you

Moijanxx

Hi- got my results this morning and sadly wasn’t the news I was hoping for. It’s grade 3 cancer. Had a monogram today and having follow up blood tests and MRI is on Monday. Will know more next Thursday after my follow up appointment but the initial plan looks like op to remove it then chemo. Not ideal but at least now I know and can deal with it. Good luck to Grace22- please don’t feel doscouraged by my outcome as I’m sure it’s not that way for everyone xxx

Hi taylor85. I’m really sorry to hear of your results today. Thinking of you and sending big hugs. I am worried about my possible result tomorrow but know that the only way forward is to face it head on. Xx

Thanks for all the info everyone. It’s been a hard day but I do feel better for knowing. I will have a look at those threads - all very helpful info, thanks.
Grace22 sending you loads of luck and well wishes for tomorrow, please let us know how you get on. It’s true- the waiting is the worst!

HI Taylor, I am so sorry it wasn’t better news for you today. I am sending you my very best wishes & a big hug. Be kind to yourself and try to live in the now. Although I know it easier said than done especially when you have young children. Have you ever looked at mindfulness? There is lots of information on the Internet. My husband swears by headspace, again lots of information available. Maybe something you can look at once your children are back at school. Anything I am sure will be a welcome diversion at the moment. Keep in touch with us all, you are in our thoughts and remember there are a lot of people here willing to support you. 

Thanks- this forum has been brilliant the last few days and I fully intend to take advantage of speaking with those who have gone through a similar experience.

Hi everyone, back from my appointment from hospital. Been confirmed as stage 1hormone + BC with lump measuring just under 2cm. Scheduled in for surgery on the 11th Nov in which they will remove the lump and and biopsy of lymph nodes and then will have a clearer picture of treatment from then on in. Have been told I will be getting radiation but not sure about chemo yet a still waiting on another test result to come back. Looks like I am going to be here on this forum for another while yet. Was surprisingly calm getting my results but so much information to take. BC nurse seems lovely and she also gave me a couple of story books for my little girl to help explain to her what going on. Xx

Thanks for your reply sue. I have been told that I will be having a lumpectomy on the 11th and also that I will begin taking tamoxifen. Everything seems to be happening so quickly. Thanks for the link to the publications, I will have a look. I am the type of person who likes to have all the information but i am trying to stay away from Google and be guided by the doctors and take things a week at a time. Xx

Hi Grace, I’m sorry you didn’t get better news today but you have come to the right place to get help and support as between us here we’ve dealt with pretty much everything! I got off pretty lightly with a grade 1 stage1 diagnosis and had Radiotheraphy and now take tamoxifen all of which was and is fine, As Sue says the full picture is only known for sure once it’s been removed and tested but you can only go with what you know so until your told different then don’t fret too much about what might be, the op is pretty straight forward and in many cases your out the same day, just try and take things a day at a time , it’s all doable and you will be amazed at how well you cope! Xx jo 

Sorry to hear your news Grace22, it sounds as if your treatment plan is well underway. I think once you know exactly the plan e.g dates etc you can come to terms with t all a little more, or so I hope. I still have a couple of tests to go before I will know exactly what is to come and I’m pretty anxious that they will find more or it will be worse when they do the MRI next week. My follow up appointment cannot come quick enough, to know that stage etc.
Again I’m so sorry to hear your news but perhaps seeing as we’ve been diagnosed within 24 hours of each other we can keep in touch and help each other through this?

Hi Taylor85,

Would love to keep in touch with you and hopefully we can support each other through our treatment. I was ok when I got the results, calm when telling immediate family but tonight I’ve been a bit overwhelmed with it all. Tried to read some of the books my BC nurse gave me but had to leave them for now. I hope that you can get some answers next week after your MRI.

Sending hugs,
Lesley

Hello everyone. Grace22 how are you getting on? I had my follow up today after MRI and more bloods and mammogram. Consultant has said he cannot be 100% sure until it’s removed but it looks as though it is stage 1. They are not entirely convinced by my lymph nodes so I’m getting another ultrasound and probably biopsy tomorrow. Still awaiting my HER2 test result which will determine whether it’s chemo before surgery or the other way around. Will also be having radiotherapy.
We told my children on Friday and it was by far the hardest thing to do but made a huge difference and I felt lighter for it after. They seem to be coping ok although my eldest has a wobble every now and again and they are both very affectionate at the moment. Hope everyone else is holding up ok.

Hi Taylor85. Glad to hear you got your MRI. I have been told that they think I am stage in also and I’m scheduled for my operation next Friday for removal. Telling your kids is so daunting isn’t it? I have to daughter age 9 and she seems to have taken it in her stride. I’m expecting a few wobbles though along the way though. One of the BC nurses at my hospital was previously a health visitor so we have arranged a couple of appointment for my daughter to go speak to her just to check that she OK. She a sensitive girl and a bit of a thinker so glad that this is available to us. I must say though like yourself I felt better for telling her. I haven’t had my HER2 results yet either, they did say I could call and they would tell me if I wanted before next Friday. How are you bearing up? Some days it feels like this is happening to someone else…?.
Sending hugs to everyone.
Xx