1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting for results

hannah203

Re: Waiting for results

Hi Sally I'm glad the forum is helping. Are you happy not knowing what their concern is or would you rather know? I found it really helpful when I rang the breast care nurse and she talked through what they'd found on the initial scans xxx
Sally1963

Hi Hannah (and everyone else on this thread)

I found a lump last week in my right breast which was quite tender to the touch. I went to the GP just because I felt I should as its something unusual. The doc refered me straight away and I have been for my appointment today. Over the week in between the lump has shrunk a bit ( I thought) and was less painful so I convinced myself it was just a cyst and all would be fine.

However, today I had a mammogram, followed by ultrasound and was then told the lump is solid and I had to have a core biopsy taken. I get my results next Friday. There's been no indication from anyone about what it might be.
I'm so glad I found this forum, I've already felt reassured by yours and other people's comments on here. Thanks! 😊

Jobey68

Hi la la

They did in fact find a very small area of early breast cancer by sheer chance whilst taking a biopsy of what turned out to be a harmless fibrous lump so I had to have a lumpectomy and 2 nodes removed on 27th March and got the great news yesterday that nodes were clear and they only found a 4mm area of grade 1 which the surgeon was delighted with so am now having a few weeks of radiotherapy and am on Tamoxifen for 5 yrs, to say we are relieved is an understatement , it may not have been the total all clear we were all hoping for but to know they accidentally stumbled across something so early and have dealt with it I do feel on cloud 9 now after imagining the worst! Best of luck to you and please let me know how you get on , love Jo Xx
La-La

Hi Kim.. hopefully you have your results now and are all clear?
Trust me, if radiologist and consultant are all telling you they don't think you have anything to worry about you should believe them! I just had totally opposite experience today.. all made it very clear that there is something to worry about with my mam/ultrasound results. (Consult even made sure he told me the radiographer was 'very concerned' just in case finding 2 suspect masses and having core biopsies did not scare me enough!)
Now in that awful 'waiting room' til 21st April (2 weeks)

I hope all went well with yours Kim... do let me know.

Virtual hugs.
La-La
Bettiboop

Well, I am feeling so much chirpier today. I don't know why...just a total roller coaster of emotions. I feel I can face things today. I hope I feel the same way on Monday! It's been a hard few days, everyone says the waiting is the worst. It is certainly not easy. Hope everyone on here is feeling okay too. 😊 fingers crossed.
Bettiboop

Lucy, hannah203 and katejo. Thank you for your replies. The links to those pages were very informative. I am trying to focus on the positive by, my goodness, it is hard. I am usually such an upbeat person but I keep feeling so down this week. I know that if there is something there it is early so everything should be okay but aaaaaarrrrgggg......this is not easy. I do feel better knowing I am not the only one going through these feelngs and that it is perfectly normal to feel like this. It's strange because I wish Monday would hurry up and come around but on the other hand I don't want to it to be Monday either!,, ah well, I'll just have to face it when it comes. Thank you again.
katejo

Hello Bettiboop

Have just seen your message and felt I  had to say something. I am 52 and had my first mammogram earlier this month and I was also called back last week. I was really stressed about it. Fortunately mine wasn't a problem in the end and i didn't need a biopsy but I felt really uptight at the time. I really hope that you get a good result next week. It is horrible waiting.

hannah203

Hello Bettiboop

I am also waiting on test results from a biopsy. I have found this forum incredibly helpful, both for reassurance that usually it is not breast cancer, but also for helping me realise that at the end of the day they are testing for cancer, and when we get the results we will know one way or another. It is horrible waiting but keep posting on here as everyone is lovely and do help.
I phoned the breast care nurse today which spread some more light on the situation as she said that they had found calcifications in my breast which I didn't know previously.... these webpages explained everything for me: https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/benign-breast-conditions/breast-calcif...
http://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/diagnosing/causes-and-risk-factors/pre-cancerous...

It is normal to feel uptight - I have gone through just about every emotion and when I leave the house I just feel like I am in a dream world. I have gone from feeling totally devastated to feeling "I dont know why I am worrying so much", so every emotion is normal 🙂

Good luck bettiboop and let us know how you get on next monday 🙂

Lucy_BCC

Hi Bettiboop and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support here, our helpliners are on hand with further practical and emotional support for you so please feel free to call to talk any concerns through. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturday on 0808 800

Here's some information about calcifications on the BCC site which you may find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/benign-breast-conditions/breast-calcif...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Bettiboop

Hello....I've never used a forum before but thought I could do with getting some things out of my head! I have not long turned 51 and went for my first mammogram. No problem I thought. Anyway, I got a letter two weeks later asking me to attend a breast screening clinic on Monday past. I went with my husband and the nurse told me I had calcifications. I had never heard of them. I then got a few more mammograms and had a look at the X-rays and saw about seven little dots together. I then had a core biopsy. They left a titanium marker in place. I don't go back to the clinic until next Monday for results and just feel a bit uptight. I just wanted to get that all out my head.
pandorra1

Kim68, I  know it's so very hard, but keep telling that horrible little thing in your brain to clear off and only positive thoughts are allowed in. It's normal what you are going through and I am sure you have read all the other similar posts, however it's still so crappy to experience. You are not alone, we are all here and in the meantime deep breaths and positive thinking. Lol xxxxxx

pandorra1

Great news sunflower 57, so pleased for you. My news was similar to you, told all clear , rads and drug.  Did they not mention the need for drug to you. I  see my onc. On 11th  march so will hopefully know more.  Sharon is starting a thread for all new rad ladies, keep in touch. Lol xxxxxxxx

Jobey68

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and looking for some support to help me through the next few days until I receive my results on Thursday. I had a biopsy taken on on Thursday after being referred to my breast clinic when I saw my doctor about a lump the week before, the lump I was worried about they were not and neither showed up on Mammmogram or Ultrasound but unfortunately something else did which is what they are testing,mi was told by the radiologist the more he looked at it the less worried he was and when I went back in to see the Dr afterwards she said she wasn't overly worried and would be surprised if it was anything serious,Inspite of all this I am going out of my mind and cannot eat, sleep or function due to the fear of it all at the minute, my husband is helping me cling On to my sanity but only by a thread!
jules_66

Hi Sunflower57. That's fantastic news, so pleased for you. Take care xxx
Sunflower57

Hi All I've been advised Lymph Nodes clear, no Chemo or Hormone Therapy. Will start Radiotherapy in about 5-6 weeks time. Have to see the Oncologist & Radiotherapist to discuss treatment plan. We are so relieved.
jules_66

Having a major meltdown now the time has come to leave for hospital. Daft really as this is only a repeat of the biopsies done 3 weeks ago (plus wire thingy). Think its the thought of waiting again for results, def the worst part. On a plus side bruising finally gone this morning so I have had a few hours normal coloured!! Hope everyone else is doing OK xxx

Sunflower57

Hi Jules Yes the waiting is hard. I'm fortunate to have had many friends visit but I'm getting a bit fed up of answering their questions about how / what / why. I shouldn't moan as it's lovely that they want to visit me.
My boss visited yesterday too. No pressure to return to work until I'm ready & we had 2 games of Rummikub
Hubby has been away all this week, so the evenings drag.
jules_66

Hi Sunflower57. Isn't the waiting so hard? Hope you are doing OK and the 6th brings you good news. This forum has been just fantastic with people who know exactly what you are feeling and going through. Hugs to you. Jules x
Sunflower57

Hi I waiting for results too Have to go back on 6 March. I live in Dymchurch Kent.
Karen50

The fact your other biopsies have shown nothing untoward hopefully indicates that the new ones won't either and that its all precautionary but of course you will still worry. Let's just be thankful that we have the nhs and that this appears to be an area of healthcare where we're not on a waiting list for months. There's a part of me thinks I'd rather not know but that's obviously stupid and that whatever needs dealing with, they deal with it as quickly as possible (still feels like a lifetime though!). Lots of love xx
jules_66

BC nurse phoned to give me appointment for repeat biopsies and calcification procedure, Tues 3rd at 3pm. She told me they continue to test and check until everything matches! Guess I will have to wait another 2 weeks after that for results. Going to try and stay positive and keep busy, this waiting malarky sure sucks! 

jules_66

Hi Karen. Thanks for the lovely message. Had a lovely time with my friend and felt better for it. Got back to a message from nurse asking me to call her back. She us now in clinic so have to wait for her to ring me. Eek what now? Xx
Karen50

hi Jules, I have no idea if its normal procedure but despite the good news, its totally understandable that youre feeling the way you feel. In effect youre still waiting for results and all this waiting really takes its toll, its draining!!! Hope the coffee and girly chat helps, but try to focus on the good news too. fingers crossed for you all the waY XX

jules_66

Morning to my lovely new friends. Help! Having had the phone call I got yday pm saying biopsies of both lump and node showed nothing significant I expected to be elated and relieved. Instead I hardly slept and feel awful this am. I keep asking myself why they want to repeat the biopsies, does anyone know if this is standard practice. I always knew regardless of result the calcification had to be looked at in detail so wasn't surprised to hear this needed testing. Am I being paranoid or do you think there is still cause for concern? Not sure if some of what I'm feeling is down to the stress over the past 2 weeks. I think I should be jumping for joy and not being so negative. When so many of you have not had good news this may seem really selfish and I feel bad feeling and thinking as I do. Am off to meet my best friend for coffee and the hope she sorts me out!!! Xxx

Cocolily

It's done ... Xxx
Karen50

Yes go ahead. Good idea x at least we can out everything in one place x
Cocolily

Shall I start a new thread "diagnosed in February " and if you all join as we are still posting in awaiting results xx
Karen50

great new jules x dont feel guilty at all! It must be very reassuring for other new members to know thats its not always bad news. Fingers crossed further tests come back good x I got my appointment today to see the surgeon (thinks thats who I was told id see) and thats on Monday so not too long to wait. At the moment I guess Im planning to work until my op although I will give myself a couple of days off before just to get the house clean, clear the ironing etc and just get myself feeling 'ready'. I thought I was coping well but driving into work today, I was fine and then the tears just started. Then once I arrived my mate asked how I was today and that was it...meltdown. A few people noticed and asked if I was ok and there is going to be an office team meeting tomorrow so Ive asked my boss to tell everyone together (im not in tomorrow). Saves me having to explain why I might need the odd 10 minutes out every now and again. Unlike you two Im quite looking forward to being off lol And the people that already know keep bringing me bags of chocolate! At this rate I'll be too fat for them to operate 🙂 I think meeting up after is a great idea. Im already thinking of having a big party once its over and I hopefully get the all clear. And youre all invited x

jules_66

Thank you ladies, big hugs to you both xx
Cocolily

I am also pleased for you ... Yay xxxx
Restless

I am so pleased for you Jules. You shouldn't feel guilty, it is good to see others getting the all clear, we don't need more club members! Hope all remains positive for you and that you can get some sleep now. Keep in touch x
jules_66

Fingers not working! Nodes show nothing. Phone tomorrow with appointment! 🙂 x
jules_66

Hi all. I've just had a phone call from the hospital to say lump and node so nothing untoward. The nurse said the result surprised them all! Not completely there yet as got to have repeat biopsies and the calcification closely examined but to me the news so far is just fantastic. Will get a phone call tomorrow with spots and when results are back I will go back to hospital to discuss and sort any treatment needed. Am very conscious that many of you would have loved to hear this for yourselves and I do feel guilty about saying mine is good (so far). I cannot tell you how much this forum has kept me sane the last 13 days, thank you all. Will update you once I know more. Love and hugs all xxxx

Cocolily

Jules
I am still sore under my arm and boob nearly 2 weeks on .. Good luck with your results x
jules_66

Morning all. I had given my job up just a few days before I found the lump as had decided to retrain but have put everything on hold until I get results. Spoke to the Breast Care nurse yday who was brilliant. My results (if back) will be reviewed at MDT today but no results will be given by phone. Appt Fri unless they want me to have further tests first in which case I won't know results until after that. Not sure I can cope with waiting even longer to know. 13 days on and I'm still v sore and bruised after biopsy and in lot of pain in shoulder and underarm which I didn't have before, hoping that's down to stress and nothing else! Keep strong lovely ladies 🙂 xx
Restless

Hi Alison, yes it is sad finishing work, I love my job, and the thought of being off for a while is difficult, but we will get back! I can understand your worries about spread, I feel the same, but hopefully will feel better after op and once we know how many lymph nodes are involved. My lump is also still sore from biopsy, I think that's normal as it will be bruised. Would be great to meet up when we are all recovered x
Cocolily

Maybe when we are all better we could meet in a central location like london for tea / wine / anything xxx
Cocolily

Hi. Finish work on Wednesday .. A bit sad !! But looking forward to focusing on myself rather then work ... Seem to getcmire upset now it's sunk in .. Keep thinking its spread and an making a conscious effect not to say this to family and friends as don't want to freak them out .. Op next week .. Pre op tests on Thursday .. I feel great support on this group just knowing we are all in the same journey .. Ps anyone's boob seem more sore since biopsy .. And had a few skin tags pop up in funny places ! Might be stress !!!
Restless

Hi all, went in to work too Karen. Felt need to keep busy in the morning. Managed to clear my desk and starting to hand stuff over in preparation for being off. All my colleagues have been fantastic. It's strange though isn't it? You don't want to talk about it all the time, but if you don't, it's like there's an elephant in the room! Spent the afternoon being battered and bruised with needles again, then the MRI, lying on my front with my boobs dangling, can think of better ways to spend an afternoon, but it's fast becoming the new norm! Seeing the surgeon Friday and hoping for all results and a treatment plan. Onwards and upwards!
Karen50

How's everyone today? Went into work today and it felt a bit like a big white elephant came with me but everyone was lovely. Felt ok all day but had a little cry once the kids were in bed. Really hoping I get my surgeons appt asap now. Hope everyone is holding up xx
jules_66

This post was primarily for you Alison xx
jules_66

Thinking of you, keep strong, we are all in this together xxx
jules_66

Thanks Sharon. This forum is my lifeline at the moment (well and the wine!) Let's hope Friday is a good day for us both xxx
Cocolily

Yes my operation is the 5th March and results from the L nodes on the 18th. The waiting for results is definately the hardest just want to start the treatment. I am scared it has travelled further but trying to not think about it. Getting more and more upset thinking it had sunk in now x
Restless

Hi Jules, as Karen said, the wait for the results was the longest in my life. I will be thinking of you Friday as I will be getting my MRI and second lymph node biopsy results then, so we will be results comrades. I also found the wait for results really hard, definitely drank more wine and had many sleepless nights. Unfortunately I don't feel that has changed much since, as I am having to have more investigations, so I will soon be buying shares in a well known online wine merchant!! It's not the answer, but it helps! We are all going through this together, it really helps knowing you are all out there somewhere x
jules_66

Thank you so much Karen. The whole thing is just so surreal but the support on here is amazing. Everyone knows just what I'm feeling as they sadly have been or are going through it too. Wine intake has definitely gone up and I guess will continue to do so  this week:) Hugs to you too xxx

Karen50

can I just add that this forum is great. Ive only been on here for about a week and the support and understanding has been so helpful. Youre never alone on here. The ladies on here will understand like nobody else can x

Karen50

Hi Jules, sorry you've been having such a hard time. Its certainly not easy! Thankfully I only had to wait a week but that was also the longest week of my life. I drank lots of wine (as did quite a few others by the sound of it!). I cried a lot and kind of just floated through my days with this constant nagging voice in my head. I also imagined every worst case scenario known to man. Everyone copes differently but its absolutely normal that you feel the way you do. Im sure we all wish there was a fast forward button somewhere we could all press and just find out asap. friday will come, sooner than you think and I hope fyou get a good result. In the meantime, if you need to cry do it, if you need to shout do it..whatever it takes. Big hugs xx

jules_66

Hi all. I know you are ahead of me in this process but can I ask how you got through the waiting for results. I'm a total mess and can't think about anything else. I already have a chronic bowel syndrome which has gone into complete overdrive so feel rubbish with that too. Feel so stressed and anxious and honestly don't know how I'm going to hold it together until results on Friday, it will have been the longest 15 days I've ever known. Desperate to keep it from the family til I know for sure but getting in such a state about how I will break it and the effecr it will have on them. Love to you all xx

Karen50

hi Alison and Sharon, Im ok I think! Had a wobbly day yesterday but thankfully the last 2 nights Ive slept for hours. I think the week of waiting for the results took its toll as I have just been feeling completely exhausted. Not sure how restful the sleep has been as Ive still woken up tired. Im also a calm, great in a crisis drama kind of person but I'm also a terrible worrier and Im definitely a glass half empty person which really isnt helping. My friends and family are being amazing. My boss at work is already talking about getting a rota together for people to help me at home with the kids etc lol She's either going to mother me or smother me, one way or the other! And its great but at the same time I dont want to be the centre of attention...I dont want people treating me with kid gloves and have to think about what they say to me. Im losing a boob, Im not losing my sense of humour (yet anyway!). My mother in law is on the phone e ery hour asking how I am. I sound ungrateful but its so early I just need for it to sink in before I can be around anyone making polite conversation. From what Ive been told I wont need chemo or rads and nobodys said anything about hr receptor thingys to me. So much jargon to learn! I have posted in the 'recently diagnosed' board but am on this one still. I was reading about what to take into hospital and what to expect and now Im worried about things like getting around with drains hanging out of every orifice. Im going to go through it all again and make lots of notes. If I know what to expect then hopefully I'll deal with it all better. So far they havent seen anything in my l nodes but was told they'll check them again during the op? I suppose once I see my surgeon I'll have a much clearer picture of exactly what happens next. I just want it over with now. So far indications are that i can have an immediate reconstruction and hopefully a reduction on the other one (yay!! a freebie boob job lol). Always wanted one but could never afford it 🙂 I really hope you both get good results when your next lot of results are back, I'll be keeping everything crossed for you both and saying a little prayer for you both. I know we dont know each other but Im glad youre both with me (well not glad but..you know what i mean) lots of love xx