Waiting for surgery and terrified

Hi

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with multifocal invasive ductal carcinoma. I was offered a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. I have opted for bi-lateral as a preventative measure. I am completely terrified. I am more worried about the surgery and post-operative pain, than the actual cancer. I am 45 and feel like someone has swept the ground from beneath my feet. I also can’t get bad images of scarring out of my head. Has anyone else experienced this? I know I should be focusing on the positives but I can’t. I was hoping the hospital could put me in touch with someone who had also been through a bi-lateral LD flap, but there isn’t time. I have surgery on 15th March and the waiting is hell. Any advice would be welcomed.

Hi Jac65

Waiting is terrifying and we’ve all been there. I am 41 and had LD flap surgery on my left breast, although not a bi-lateral one. Since I had that surgery my mum was diagnosed with BC which means all the women in my family have had BC right back to my great grandmother, and part of me wishes I’d also had your operation.

I’m sure someone will be along soon who have had this done, but I just wanted to let you know that I am delighted with the results of my surgery. I have a short scar across my back which is covered by my bra strap and thin and fading fast scars from where my nipple was down the front of my new breast and one underneath which you cannot see at all. The surgery was long nearly 6 hours and I was very uncomfortable for about a week, I also had a small implant. Once the drains were out and I was at home I recovered very quickly and by 4 weeks was feeling good and back to work after 6 weeks. My new breast did feel like a lump of clay and felt very heavy, but this feeling has gone now (3 months on) and although it feels harder than my natural one it is a lovely shape and just the right size. I have full movement in my arm, although it does feel a little tight and have slight numbing down my arm but this is easing all the time.

I asked my surgeon for pictures of his work beforehand and he was happy to show me work he had done because I had no idea what I was in for. This might help you feel better about what it actually will look like after surgery. I was told that it would never be like my original, but to be honest I’ve always hated my large breasts so I’m pleased about how it looks! I will need a reduction in my left breast at a later date.

Sorry for waffling on - I hope this helps you a little. The macmillan leaflet on reconstruction also has photographs of pre and post surgery breasts.

All the very very best

Keep us posted

Rachelxx

Hi Jacq
Im waitng for a recon, but as part of my 'planning’for it, I was put in touch with a BCC volunteer via this site who was very helpful and answered all my questions. I also have a friend who had the same op you are-she showed me the results and beleive me, they were fabulous! So neat and shapely.
There are also websites with pics, but Id suggest you ask someone else to look for you first-some are not so pretty.
Best of luck
Cathie

I had the same diagnosis last year, a large multifocal area of invasive cancer. I was told my only option was a mx and was offered an immediate reconstruction. I was 41 when this happened last year. I am very glad I did this and feel the result is very good. I had a skin sparing mx and ld flap reconstruction with a small saline implant. The scar on my back is bigger and more diagonal that I thought, but at the front I have a circular scar approximately the same place and size of my nipple. This will be made into a nipple at a later date. It is slighty smaller than my other breast and surgeon was going to do a reduction and uplift onthat one, but I have since found out I am BRCA2 so will be having another mx and ld flap reconstruction in May.
I had very little pain after the surgery and have got full movement in my arm. Rads has not shrunk it or caused any other problems, which is the reason some surgeons give for not doing an immediate reconstruction. It looks like a breast but obviously does not feel like a breast, which takes some getting used too. I don’t regret my decision as after all my treatment, I’m not sure I would want to go for further major surgery if not necessary. I beleive that a better cosmetic result is often achieved if done straight away and obviously you only have 1 major op and general anaesthetic rather than 2.
good luck with your surgery. The waiting is definitely the worst part.

I’ve just done a google for images of “ld flap” (careful with google though, don’t go mad!) and I’m SO impressed at what I found. A couple of pictures on there were so good I had to look really carefully to spot which side was the reconstruction!

Be aware, there were also pictures of cars and handbags (no, I have no idea either!) and pics where the back skin has been used to repair other areas not associated with breast reconstruction, so like I said, be careful of doing too much googling and don’t be too shocked at some of the pictures a bit futher down as they aren’t pics of the procedure you’re investigating.

Hi jacq65

Welcome to the BCC forums. As well as the support you are receiving from the other forum users I have put for you below the link to the area of the website where you can watch an animation of the various different types of reconstruction which I hope you find useful, I’ve also put the link to our leaflet on reconstruction.

Animation:
breastcancercare.org.uk/brea … ted-guide/

Reconstruction:
breastcancercare.org.uk/sear … ionId/107/

Also, if you want to talk things through with someone please do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000. Here you can share any concerns you may have with a trained member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information. The lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 9 to 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Thank you Sam, that was just what I hoped you mods would do!

This is the first time I have ever used an online forum - thank you all for your advice and support
Jacq

Hi all, I am schedluled for my WLE and SNB on Tuesday. I have had my pre op assessment, and I am now more worried thatn I was before!

Firstly my blood pressure was high, so they took it again later, after about 5 attempts they finally got a reading 131/95 (still in the high region I think). Then they informed me that they think I may have a slight heart murmur and I need to have an echocardiogram. I finally get my head around all this and am calm, when I receive a phone call from the hospital at 6pm today asking me to go in and meet my anaesthetist at 5.15pm on Monday evening. This has done nothing to calm my nerves, I am now feeling that there must be something seriously risky about me having a general anaesthetic!!! Why can’t I have a local !

TJR, please don’t fret about getting a phone call. You got a phone call to meet the anaesthetist because a letter wouldn’t have got to you on time, so nothing extraordinary. I’ve had loads of appointments and that kind of thing by phone which I actually find quite reassuring because it makes sure I definitely know when I’m expected to be somewhere.

I suspect you might be one of the first ones in for surgery on Tuesday, so a meeting on the Monday evening gives the anaesthetist the chance to chat with you, reassure you, find out how you might have coped with any previous anaesthetics, advise you about eating and drinking before anaesthetics etc.

Blood pressure often goes through the roof when you’re stressed, and there’s not much that’s more stressful than being in a hospital arranging for surgery! From what I know (I’m not medically trained) your BP’s a bit on the high end, but it depends what’s normal for you. The anaesthetist will talk to you about it, and you can ask more questions about the echocardiogram and heart murmurs.

Hope that helps, and best of luck for Tuesday.

CM
x

Thank you so much ChoccieMuffin, I feel a lot better having read your post. I had convinced myself the anaesthetist was going to tell me I had a low percentage of making it through the surgery!

I am usually one of the most practical people I know…but I was really freaked out earlier.

I am now much calmer and will “get a grip” lol.

I will try and post on Monday night to update…it may even help someone else.

Thanks again.

Tracey

Hi Tracey, I had WLE and SNB a few weeks back. I also hated the idea of surgery and was worried at the who’d process. In fact it was a day surgery and I felt good even the next day. A bit sore and bruised but otherwise fine. It is such a scary time but it will be over soon. As CM says the anaesthetist just goes through and asks you a few more questions than they do in Pre-op to decide what mix of drugs is best for you. I am always sick so he talked through whether or not to give me morphine and anti-sickness so they probably just want to make sure there is time to do that before your operation x

HI, I had a mastectomy and lymph node sweep at the age of 41. I had mine after chemo, and I did not have recon immed. That I am glad about. I felt the actual mastectomy was a walk in the park. I got rid of my cancer. The post op pain was next to nothing I couldnt believe it. Yes you are uncomfortable but I had more pain from the lymph node sweep and even that wasnt too much pain. I agreed with my team in not having the recon immediately. Skin reacts differently to th rads and the whole treatment. I have had no problems with my mastectomy nor waiting for my recon. Everyones bodies are unique and although we can share information and similarities with treatments pain etc the bottom line is, your body is diferent and reacts differently to mine.
My scar healed beautifully and I am waiting for my recon DIEP. It is frighening waiting for the op, but as my youngest son said to me I dont know why anyone would want to cry about getting cancer removed from them. Such words for someone so young! thought a mastectomy was going to be unbelievably painful, the truth is its the emotional scars that are worst or so I believe.
Interstingly lots of women I have spoken to (sorry to those males who have had a mastectomy but I have not met or spoken to you) seem to have handled the mastectomy worst if at the start of the treatment rather than later on. That said again, we are all individuals.

You will be in the right place to obtain both physical as well as emotional help. You will be fine and although you have a short wait, your almost there.

Best of luck to you, we are very lucky in this country to get this wonderful treatment available to us freely.

Thinking of you

JO xx

PS: I have noted a famous poem here for you: Author unknown:

Don’t Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don’t you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don’t give up though the pace seems slow–
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor’s cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out–
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit–
It’s when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Thank you to everyone who put my mind at rest regarding my WLE and SNB. I had the operation this morning and was discharged this evening. Not taken any painkillers yet, but it is just starting to become painful so will take one soon before having a nice long sleep…which will be my second today if you count the anaesthetic :slight_smile:

Next appointment will be Wednesday 9th March to see the consultanta again for results and checking of wound.

Tracey xx

Well done, tjr, I hope you had a very good sleep. Keep taking the painkillers if you need to.