Waiting for surgery.

Hi, Im new here but wanted to see if anyone else is like me. Waiting for surgery and sentinal lymph node biopsy. Grade 2 invasive, hormone receptor positive; what a shock, felt nothing but routine screening showed lump. Im on a trial drug along with anastrazole till surgery, breast conserving, next Tuesday. On Monday they give the radioisotope and dye injection. Why do I still feel sore after three weeks since biopsy? Why do they not remove lympyh nodes at time of surgery instead of maybe having to go back again for further surgery? Is the cancer growing like mad now that its been interfered with? Anyone else thinking or feeling the same? 

Hi ,I had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy in June,I was diagnosed through routine mammogram too no lump.I was was worried about whether the biopsy would result in cancer cells being spread too so I looked into it and found there is no evidence that this can happen.I was sore from the biopsy for a few weeks too.I think they only remove the “sentinel nodes” for testing as removing all nodes is a much bigger operation with much longer recovery and potentially more side effects.There lots if ladies who have recently been diagnosed and some that are a bit further down the line talking in the “just diagnosed section” on the “just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand” if you want to join us.Always someone able to answer any questions you may have.Good luck.Jill.

We have all been there and know exactly how you feel.Days when you feel positive and days when fear creeps up and grabs you ,hard to share with people close to you as they are scared/upset too.

Hello my love, I think I am about where you are, had sentinel node biopsy and lumpectomy, but had no drugs yet, I know I am HER2 positive and I am also oestrogen receptor positive, I still feel sore, but that’s nothing compared to how I feel emotionally, apparently not everyone needs lymph node clearance, they just take the one nearest the breast, which is the sentinel node, if it’s there then they take them all. I don’t know if the cancer is growing like mad, I wish I did, my nurse has said she will give me results as soon as she knows, but it is the waiting game, which is horrible isn’t it, but you know what, we can do it, we really can get through this, a breast cancer survivor said to me once, put your faith in your doctors and your nurse because they will give you the information you need and put your faith in your family and friends because they will give you your strength to get through this, and remember we are all here to get each other through this. Keep fighting lass, x x

Hi Flower if you just click on their name icon it will let you add people as friends ,or follow them if you do it via your phone.

I agree ,it is very bizzare to want to have an operation ,but you are right, you just want it out.I thought many times ,how can there be anything sinister in there,I don’t even have a lump , weird bit thank God for mammograms eh?? Had my first session of radiotherapy today ,my boob is so hot could BBQ on it. !!

Good morning flower,
Yes I know how you feel up and down days I also was relieved to get it out, but I do know it’s fast growing and more likely to spread, I imagine all sorts of things, but someone on here said it doesn’t grow that fast, so I’m hanging onto that, I am 55 and my life was pretty good, was looking forward to my holiday in Sicily September but of course had to cancel, great job etc etc then wham, I am also trying to be brave/calm for my man and family, but really I am pretty much terrified but as you say knowing people are here for us all to share our fears, good luck with your surgery x x

Yes it’s back to normal ,but get toasted again tomorrow!I have 15 sessions thats the minimum number so I am thankful for that.Is your op Tuseday?

Flower I thought the initial biopsy was the worst part of all this… I was black & blue! never expected them to start cutting me when I was called back after mammogram … in total shock. I told the hospital they need to change the satndard letter to at least give us a clue this could happen on a recall. 

Good luck with the op, it will be fine I’m sure. A lot less bruising in my case… I had none after op! smooth scar that healed very quickly ready for radiotherapy a few weeks later. I finished it all last Friday so am getting my head around no more appointments.

You will feel better the more info you get. 

Sending love 

Lorna x

How are you Flower!

That’s good ,it does feel good to get the surgery out of the way and you won’t be sore for too long.I have had 6 sessions now,my boob is quite pink and it is a bit tiring with all the travelling and also quite boring ,but if it stops the bugger coming back !!!

How did you get on with your results Flower??