Waiting for tests

I had breast cancer last year and had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiotherapy, which finished just before Christmas. I have been waiting for my first mammogram since treatment, to show me that all signs of cancer had gone. I had the mammogram four weeks ago and the letter eventually came back saying no worrying features.  However in the meantime I have noticed another lump. I went back to the GP and she has referred me back to the breast care department again to get it checked out. Does anyone have experience of this? I am getting more and more worried about it as my appointment on Tuesday approaches. I would be very grateful to hear from anyone.

Hi purple49,

I had a very similar experience last year. I noticed a lump round about my lumpectomy scar, and ended up back at the breast clinic. It actually turned out to be the only bit of normal breast tissue that I had in that area. They carried out an ultrasound scan and there was nothing suspicious there. I still feel my breast is incredibly lumpy, but I’ve read on some posts on here that it’s a normal reaction to the rads for the breast tissue to harden. Makes it very difficult to decipher what’s normal and what’s not. I’m waiting for an elective double mastectomy because I can’t tell the difference, and I’m also going to have a private MRI scan done in the meantime. Hope that you have the same outcome as I had last year. Take care, Ann x

So glad to hear that! It’s so difficult to work out what’s going on after rads for some of us. But the main thing is that you’ve had it checked out and all’s well. So happy for you. Ann x x