Waiting times

I have been recently diagnosed and have an appointment on Wednesday to discuss treatment. The rumour is only about a cm. I’m deeply anxious and just want to sleep all the time. I work nights and it’s absolutely taking all my energy. I wonder if anyone can give me an idea of waiting times for a lumpectomy and if radiation treatment after is a given or wether it will be tamoxifen only. Thanks in advance

Hiyer Suza,

So, are you at the stage of having been told the results of a needle biopsy? Or is that what you are hearing on wednesday along with the treatment plan? As you are talking about tamoxifen have you been told it is a hormone receptive cancer? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to establish how much they have told you yet about your diagnosis.

I’m afraid its impossible for us non-medical people to give an indication of a treatment plan, I wish we could as I know it would help you feel a bit more settled. Everybody’s treatment plan is so individual based on their cancer type and lots of other biopsy factors. Sometimes, also, the treatment plan can change slightly after the lumpectomy is done and the tumour fully biopsied. The time to lumpectomy varies from hospital to hospital, some people seem to have it quickly within two weeks or less, I think mine was nearly 3 weeks after diagnosis. I think sometimes it depends on their workload and cases, but they do want to get you in there as soon as they can for sure. One thing I can say, and this is just from my observations here, there majority of people have radiotherapy it seems.

I’m not sure this has helped you that much, but please do reply with any additional information and we will try to give you our annecdotal thoughts. I’m not surprised you are deeply anxious, it is a terribly distressing time where you are right now. In March of this year I was in the same position as you, my problem was lack of sleep…anxiety affects us all so differently doesnt it. We are really happy to help and chat, and reassure you that you will gradually feel better particularly after the horrid thing is removed !!!

Charys x

Hi and thanks for reply. I’ve hD a biopsy and they say it is cancer. Path lab results back on Wednesday to find out what kind and then treatment. Dr says it will def be lumpectomy and radiotherapy. Just hope I don’t have to wait to long for op as the waiting is the worst as you know x

hi suza,
This is always the worst part, it will get better when your treatment plan is finalised.
Timescales for surgery are not long once diagnosis is confirmed, mine was just over 2 weeks from initial diagnosis, the nhs is pretty good at dealing with this.
ann x

Thanks Ann. That’s put my mind at rest a bit. So many emotions