Waiting times

Hi ladies,
I had DCIS 3 years ago, and had mastectomy. Just before Easter I found a lump in the other breast, and saw my GP the week after Easter. She said it was probably a cyst, but referred me to the hospital I attend for check-ups. After 2 weeks I rang them as I had heard nothing. I was told that the doctors had only just finished “grading” my case, agreed it was urgent, and gave me an appointment in 3 weeks time! So this is how they get good waiting list times, they wait a couple of weeks before putting you on the list…! When I rang one of the Breast Care nurses there she said I should have rung them straight away to start with, but my GP hadn’t suggested that. The BC nurse still couldn’t get me an earlier appointment.
Luckily I am (pretty) sure it is just a cyst, otherwise I would be totally neurotic by now, and still have 2 weeks to wait. Haven’t told OH or anyone else yet as I don’t want them all fretting unnecessarily.
Anyone else had similar reasons for delay in appointment time?
Silversue.

Sorry to hear that you have such a long wait. When I saw my GP he too was sure my lump was a cyst but as I had a family history (Nana had a breast off in her 40s) he was keen to refer me. I asked how long the waiting list was and mentioned that I had private medical insurance and he told me if I had it use it! I was seen my GP on Monday and at Breast clinic on Thursday… in fact the whole thing from finding the lump to surgery was 22 days. Someone who works with my friend had been referred on the NHS and she was told they were behind and the wait was 4-6 weeks depending on degree of urgancy.

Luckily for her she was seen 3 weeks later and hers was just a cyst.

Hello ladies.

just been ranting in my own thread about waiting times. I’m now 5 weeks in to the lump to surgery trip. It seems like everything takes 7-10 days here in bristol - my gp to Breast clinic appt took 7 days, FNA at that showed C4 cells but needed a core biopsy to confirm diagnosis. that took 10 days then there were a further 10 days to next consultant appt.Now waiting for MRI scan which should be Fri (9 days )but it seems no one has booked it, so without that next cons appt (7 days from MRI) is pointless. THEN cons. has to discuss and plan what to do (she says that with DCIS high grade over a 40mm area and with boobs that are only a C cup I’ll need a mastectomy). Apparently I’m looking towards end of MAY before surgery.

So I wish I had private medical insurance!!! But my own moral standing has never allowed me to do that, so tough, eh!!

Hope the wait isn’t too painful silversue! good luck
Td x

Hi Ladies
I have sort have been diagnosed yesterday. My core biopsy was inconclusive, so my consultant took a sample of my nipple under local yesterday. They finally told me that I have calcifications 18mm in size, which suggest Grade 1 invasive, which is treatable with a masectomy (all based on her experience). However, because the tests are inconclusive, she took the additional nipple tissue. The reason for the 7 day waits seem to be around the fact that my consultant only does her surgery once a week. However, she is lovely, and has said that she will see me in a few days, as soon as it is back. The tissue itself has to sit in some fluid for 24 hours before they can even look at it.
Im terrified, and I trust my consultant implicitly. My Mother cried with me.
I have the option to go private since my employer have an insurance policy that allows me to do so. I have used it once before 4 years ago when I had a cyst, and felt a bit naughty because it was nothing as it turned out. It was the same consultant as I am seeing on the nhs. This time, it was something to worry about. However, I dont know if there are any reasons to go private anyway. I dont know what to think at the moment. Im doped up on diazapam, and feeling sick - even before the treatment.
I have a DD cup - but its still a masectomy for me, simply because it is behind the nipple - ‘like taking the top of an egg’ was the expression she used, which cant be done.
Lisa x