75.1K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want a laugh? ...... Dry sense of humour required!!!!

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Want a laugh? ...... Dry sense of humour required!!!!

I lost ALL my hair, and I mean all. except for a couple of patches on my shins. Oddly, now my hair is coming back - even my moustach, those patches have disappeared!!

What a great thread!
i had a couple of things said that made me laugh.
my 7 year old nephew, on being told the full truth by my brother ( on advice of Macmillan), including hair loss during chemo, said
"Wow, I can'believe my auntie is going to wear a wig. Cool! "
and an old friend from childhood days said
"i know you are going to lose your hair but I bet you never lose your moustache!"
Rachel

Marg and I were sitting in the Consultants office absolutely bewildered upset all the emotions you go through when the person you love most in the world has been battered by this horrible diagnosis, the consultant turned to Marg and said I am sorry to have to tell you as well that you will require a mastectomy , I said to the Doctor 'will you be doing the operation' whereupon a massive grin came on her face and she stuck out her hands which were shaking like mad and said 'old shaky hands will be doing it you will be fine ‘We both looked at each other and through tears laughed' We often tell that story to friends some are shocked some laugh.

First time I had seen these posts and they have made me smile - so thanks for the bump! I will add my own favourite 'smile time' and hope it comes across ok when written down.I visited my 83 year old mom and told her the news that I have bc. Two hours later I get a call at home and it went something like this:
mom: I've just spoken to Kerry, he is going to get you a cat, if you need one.
me: why would I need a cat? I've got two already
mom: but this is a cold one
me: ehhhh?
mom: yeah you put it on your head and it stops you loosing your hair.
me: (in fits of laughter by now cos the penny has dropped) - ah a cold CAP! (Kerry is a hairdresser!) but the idea of ladies sitting in the onc dept with cats on their heads still has me laughing out loud.

Hi ladies, I've had a right giggle reading these posts. Today I am day 6 after 2nd wle and said boob is rather swollen. I am on holiday in hastings and today I have gone out sporting the one swollen boob, one normal boob in a sundress look. Thankfully I'm not walking lopsided too. Sure I have had a few looks and a man in a van shouted at me ( not quite sure what, sure it was complimentary) but do I care, no way, wore a smile all day. Hope you all have a great visual image thats making you smile too!
Xxx

Round 4 of chemo (docetaxel) I ended up in hospital with a temp of 38.7c, mouth full of barbed wire, neutrophils 0. Gradually recovered, youngest daughter and friend came to take me home. Sitting in wheelchair waiting to go one of the nurses popped her head round my room door and said:
"Sorry to bother you, but do you have any hair conditioner with you?"
I turned my VERY bald head round to look at her and replied: "You are joking, aren't you?"
I thought it was hilarious as she had seen me all week and even came in to take my obs a few times. She was sooooo embarassed though and couldn't stop apologising.
finished chemo on May 23rd and now my hair is coming back.

reacting badly to the news the surgeon has just given me...Him, trying to grapple with a suitable analogy says "it's a bit like being on a helterskelter" I momentarily have a vision of hurtling uncontrolably downwards into blackness.. I look at him puzzled as he makes wavy motion with his hand...hmmm, Think he meant roller coaster.
and now I have helterskelter as an ear worm. Siouxieand banchees version.
Guest user
Not applicable

Oh, you have raised my spirits today! I have not seen this thread before and had a good giggle. You gotta laugh... x

Hi all
As I haven't been on for years I thought I would try and catch up with some old friends and am reading some of the old posts to remind myself of the login names ..... some of the things on this one are really quite funny so am bumping .....

big kiss XXX FizBix

My hubby and I were sitting in the waiting area nervously waiting for me to have my mastectomy, when I suddenly piped up 'you do realise that I won't be able to wear double-breasted jackets any more?'...then we both fell about laughing much to the horror of staff and patients.
Then 2 days after my mastectomy, still unable to wear a bra, a photographer phone up to say he had to take my photo for an article I wrote...mmm..now which is my best side?!
Went to a big dinner do, and I was there trying to get my boobs to look equal, and my prosthesis to sit in my strappy evening gown, when my OH half, turned to me and asked if his tie looked ok with his suit....as if I care!!! They just don't get it, do they?
On a more serious note, my OH is a total star, so I'm not really being horrid to him, it just struck me as funny at the time!
Best wishes to all those with their sense of humour still in tact after all they've gone thru'.
Jax

Guest user
Not applicable

This site has had me laughing a few times today and I really needed it. Thanx to all and Best Wishes LooLoo xx

Thanks everyone for making me smile! This is all new to me as I've only been diagnosed 2 weeks.Had a sentinel node biopsy on Tuesday and seeing the consultant for the results on Wed to see if its spread to the lymph nodes (fingers crossed),then on to the oncologist for my chemo timetable.
It feels like its happening to someone else and I know this is incredibly shallow but my 2 main concerns at the moment are losing my long hair and gaining weight....how vain is that?
Is life ever going to be "normal" again?
Take care everyone
Love Little H

... how to break bad news gently ... not ....

6 months after finishing chemo it looks like i have a problem with the neutrofils in my blood .. the onc had to break it to me ....

.... on account of language issues the onc actually said "your neutrofil levels are too low but don´t worry too much they are currently above the level of spontaneous infection" .... lucky I just didn´t explode on the chair!

my appointment to see the haematologist is in Jan so I think I will last until then with any luck

keep smiling - what else can we do ?
love FB xx

Guest user
Not applicable

This thread has really cheered me up. I got my results today and I,ve gotta have more surgery and I was feeling really down. Thanks folks. xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

lol Ostrich!

Guest user
Not applicable

Whilst meeting with the Onc this week he explained that my tumour was strongly oestrogen and progesterone positive and recommended tamoxifen, he explained that it may well cause menopausal symptoms but that when I stop taking it I may go through the menopause for real as I am only 39. My poor OH looked quite pale at the thought of me going through the menopause twice and said "Can't she have HRT or something?". Bless, both me and the Onc had to explain to him that that would kinda defeat the point!

Guest user
Not applicable

While on lunch at work a colleague had brought in some fruit to share. She turned to me and asked if id like an apple or a pear. I would luuuve a pair i said much to everyones amusement.

Hi FB ,
Not the way you planned to celebrate!
Still its your body saying "wayhay ,back to normal!"
Congrats on reaching the end of treatment!
Dot
xx

well guys- you've got to laugh at this one .... today is the end of my treatment - i woke up in bed this mornig and thought "I feel awful!" ..... why .... because I have just started the biggest period!!! ... having not had one for over 6 months and having had a couple of mini-attempts over the last 3 weeks ....

who said the mind and body aren't connected .. ? .... i feel like i've been snitched on .... like my mind said "it's ok now - the treatment's over today .... she'll be up to it! " ......

i'm sure i will feel fabulous by the weekend!
love FB xx

Guest user
Not applicable

When I sat sobbing re the loss of my breast on my bed the day I came home from hospital my 10 year old daughter tried to comfort me by saying

"Its ok, its not like you and Daddy have sex". When I sniffed that in fact we do she replied "well not as often as Natalie (my 20 year old), you're older so you can't do it as much as her!"

She then went on to say, "At least you can walk into the bedroom and show Daddy your super new muscle boob!"

That made me laugh, I hadn't though of my new muscle boob as a unique selling point!

Guest user
Not applicable

Two days after my mastectomy and recon some company called me on my mobile regarding my previous fundraising through the race for life and future fundraising. Sat on my hospital bed with drains etc I said that it wasn't really a good time for me as I had just had a mastectomy for BC. I have never had someone try to get off the phone so quickly it was quite comical! I didn't mean to make her feel bad but I really didn't feel able to make it easy for her right then, naughty I know.

(Sadlt as companies grow and different departments or even companies deal with different areas there was no way this young lady on the end of the phone could handle what I said and offer to refer me to a support dept etc as I am sure her company were subbied out to make the calls).

Guest user
Not applicable

Had to laugh this morning - in the post I had a letter from my surgery asking me to go for a routine mammogram! First time ever! Bit late for that! Had bilateral mastectomy in July!

Guest user
Not applicable

Typical! Heaven help us! Take care, Carol x

Guest user
Not applicable

funny comment made by my OH while Iwas waiting to hear about op dates etc.making cup of tea at bedtime.Did I want full cup or just ahalf one???Have since had r
econ but can still laugh about it.Also my mum still thinks I am going to be at risk of falling over as one side is much smaller than the other.Hasnt happened yet!!!
doreen

Guest user
Not applicable

I am awaiting results, frightened n scared, in need of a laugh, thanks these postings made me giggle particularly westside sue and sunbeam

Guest user
Not applicable

My tumor was grade 3- my BF said- ' well, you always tried to get the best- even this you have to have a higher grade than other people!!'

Guest user
Not applicable

from a husband, such as i , it would be the first thing i would say ....made me laugh. thanks

Guest user
Not applicable

On the phone to my friend the other day we were discussing losing my hair.
I said i would look an odd bod when I do lose my hair what with me wearing glasses as well.
She replied "don't worry you'll look like an old man!"
I wouldn't mind but I'm female and only 33!!!!

Yes Men......maybe he thought now you have your comfy shoes you could manage it.....second thoughts no you're right he just hasn't got a clue.

Guest user
Not applicable

Bald as a coot during chemotherapy and packing for our holiday.

OH says "don't worry about packing shampoo - I'll just use yours"

"D'oh Einstein - I'm using SOAP right now!"

_______

Good style oedema during tax - barely able to walk

"Do you fancy a walk around the local area?"
"D'oh - have you SEEN these ankles?"

MEN - HONESTLY

Guest user
Not applicable

after going through 5months of chemo in a bid to shrink the tumor and conserve my breast - i have quite small breasts - i found out the other day that im probably going to need a bilateral mastectomy. like any one would be i was pretty devestated at the news, but being only 24 and single i was particularly shocked and upset. after a while i sorted my self out and the doctor went out of the room to get something. my mum, who had come to the appontment with me, looks at me all concerned and says "are you okay?". "well" i reply, "if i have to have a double mastectomy im getting a f**king boob job".

Guest user
Not applicable

When I was first diagnosed, it was a terrible shock and my husband and I walked back to the car in silence. It must be said at this point that I am rather overweight and have been for many years! When we got in, I wailed "What are we going to do?" "We are going to fight this, together" said Mr Strong. Then he looked me up and down and said "Let's face it, love. You're not exactly wasting away, are you?" At that point, the tears turned to laughter and he kept me laughing all the way through my treatment.

A friend of mine had a cut and blow dry done by my daughter and she said "It must be great having a hairdresser in the family" I replied "It would if I had hair" people get so embarassed when they say the wrong thing, I have a good laugh, it's good to think they have actually forgotten what you are going through.

Guest user
Not applicable

This is an old thread re awoken and I am so glad! What a laugh! The things people say intentionally or not can be soooo funny!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

I was diagnosed late in November 2007 and had to tell my sons, who were both at uni, on the phone that i would have to have a mastectomy and that it was scheduled for either 24 or 27 december.... there was a small pause and he went... hmm i wondered what to get you for Christmas but i'd never have thought of that!

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm a 34 b cup so when I told my friend I had a 2.2cm tumour (they thought it was bigger than it actually was) to be removed along with margins he said 'jeepers love - if they take all of that then it's nearly your whole tit!'

love him

Guest user
Not applicable

On a different note,
I recently was diagnosed with a kidney tumour, and the day before my biopsy, my 76 year old dad came out with
What time is your autopsy tomorrow?

Happy to report i have since had my biopsy and had a nephrectomy. Have managed to avoid the autopsy table as yet. You gotta laugh!!
xxxx

Only a man could come out with that !!

Onto a different scenario - many years ago my friend was giving birth to her first child in full labour and her hubby walks in in a right state - he said there's no toilet paper !!!! xxx

The day after I had my mastectomy a friend phoned my husband to ask how I was and he replied "It's definately a big weight off her shoulders" (I was a 38D) I don't know how I would have managed without his humour at times.

Guest user
Not applicable

LOL! You sure you didn't borrow my hubby for the day?

When I came out of hospital after WLE, I had filmstar quantites of flowers sent to me...to the point where the biscuit jar os acting as a vase.

'It's not as if we have any big jugs we could use,' I lamented.

and the reply came...

'You've still got one right there!'

Guest user
Not applicable

Love it!!

Guest user
Not applicable

that's chuckler ...at a distance!!

hope things are going well with whichever option you chose.

There are 'buddies' with the breast care support phoneline that are great for chatting and listening.... makes it easier....I dont have an OH but I do have a daughter and she doesn't like me talking about it either...my 'cancer buddy' has been a rock during my op and will be a great support when I get some 'big' results next week.

good luck
suex

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks so much for sharing that....really funny! And great that you can laugh about it.....
Jo
xxx

LOL Fiz

good 1!!!

XXX Fiona

Want a laugh? ...... Dry sense of humour required!!!!

Picture the scene ...

Having been diagnosed on the 19th Nov and operated on on 26th Novmeber I have some but not all of my test results.

I know that my lymph node is clear but don't know what type of chemo and haven't had it confirmed yet that the surgeoan took enough out - although he felt it went very well.

My husband hates talking about it - it upsets him terribly.

What happened ...
My husband and I are waiting for a checkup and having a nice coffee in a coffee bar and he suddenly asked me about what the options are and so I explained what I'd learned on here and said what I thought my preference might be but said I was a bit confused as I've never got on with hormone treatement so really wasn't sure.

So I said to him "What do you think?"

What do you think he said ? (answer below)

"I'm going to the toilet"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!