cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing

40 REPLIES 40
SueW

Re: Washing

omg i had tears rolling down my eyes at some of these antics ... I consider myself fortunate that i have a shower proof dressing so have showered x x  good luck ladies and thank goodness my laptop does not have smellavision x

Colette29

Kmk66

Haha these stories of washing traumas are making me lol! 

I had used wipes and shallow baths and like you Jo I'd had enough and took the main dressing off after 5 days. But by day 3 post surgery I wanted to wash my hair, mum came round and I asked her to help me. There I was kneeing on the floor over the bath and explained to mum that the shower over the bath was a little fierce and when she was shampooing me to push the knob down on the bath tap so the water didn't come out the shower head. Firstly she only got the left side of my hair wet, and shampooed!! She then went on to completely wash the bathroom, me and her down as she didn't push the button down on the tap and the shower hose just snaked everywhere ........we were drenched!  with a soaking bathroom, soaking clothes and half a head shampooed, she dried my hair and I looked like flipping worzel!! At the offer to striaighten it, it was a quick NO!....... I didn't fancy "burnt" ears to add to my stress! Childhood traumas had come flooding back lol. Thank the Lord I no longer wear my hair in bunches as I dread to think 😱😱😱

On a diversion

Thank you both very much.  I think I'm just to have slightly hairy pits for a few weeks until chemo unless it really bothers me as the scar is still uncomfortable.  My husband remembered the nurse had said it was ok to shave as long as you use a new blade (eg disposable razor) every time and avoid any wounds.  So good to use deodorant (stick) again. It's the small things!!! 

Anita

Yes I should have added that although I'm numb under my arm I haven't got a scar there so it's easier to shave without doing any harm X

Jobey68

I started shaving mine again very carefully once my dressings were off, I think it depends on where your nodes were removed from and obviously how many you had taken out, my two were in the crease of my arm so could shave ok, used a gentle roll on for a while too xx 

Anita

Yes I did ask about that & I did ask my two friends who've been through this & to be honest I didn't get a difinitive answer. I use a disposable razor which I think is not recommended especially if your under arm is a bit numb - as mine is. But to be honest I've gone back to that after several weeks of not shaving at all. Someone suggested using hair removal cream but I've never tried that. I think you just have to be careful not to nick the skin in case of infection. I bet that's been a lot of help!!!!

On a diversion

Thank you Charys, I think you're right she did! I was in hospital then and woozy on oromorph so had totally forgotten! I will look back! 

Charys
Community Champion

Sorry not sure about the shaving thing, I think Anita asked this question last week though? I use an epilator myself and have done forever, so it isn't painful at all for me, but not sure it's a good idea for first timers to do this in such a sensitive area after surgery. 

On a diversion

Charys, Amazing what we can do! After both my ops the dressings were removed after 10 days, both healing well. Worth keeping them dry xx 

Has anyone got any advice about armpit hair removal please? Even though the chemo means this won't be something I have to be concerned about for much longer, I'm wondering whether to leave it (there's not much) or what to do, not sure it's safe to shave? 

Charys
Community Champion

I have discovered......you can lie in a bath on your side......with the associated node removal  arm supporting the breast with surgery. You can successfully keep your boob and under arm dressing dry and above water whilst most of the rest of you has a soak. Ok, it's not the most comfortable of things, but with your head rested on the bath back and your back up against the side of the bath ....you ALMOST get a feeling of normality. 😊 Mind a word of warning, if you lack flexibility then be prepared for assistance back up again. Lol

Jobey68

😂😂😂😂

Charys
Community Champion

Yeah, maybe it's a good sign that he got it so wrong lol

Jobey68

Haha Bless him! I guess they are not really very experienced at putting bras on 😝😝

Jobey68

It's amazing how many funny moments you can find, once the shock settles down your sense of humour returns! 🤗🤗

Charys
Community Champion

Yesterday my (unlike yours Jobey) non practical husband helped me change my sports bra. I wondered why he found it so hard to do, I looked in the mirror and the whole thing was inside out with labels poking out and the back part with the hooks and eyes, on the tightest setting, sticking out by a few inches ! He looked so proud as well lol

Charys
Community Champion

Hey that's a good idea isn't it.....to raise money and cheer people up....humour is a great healer. Funny anecdotes ...of which I bet there are loads everyone on here could think of. 

Anita

I think we ought to write a book between us Jobey68 - the funny side of breast cancer. I remember at my pre op app with BCN she said ' we have to warn you to tell friends & family that some people have a reaction to the blue dye injected before the op & your face may look a bit blue'. I started laughing & said ' you mean I might look like a smurf'. Luckily I didn't have that but when I told the friend who was picking me up she said ' well with that, the green stockings you've got to wear just make sure you colour coordinate your clothes!' X

Jobey68

If anyone stumbled upon this thread what would they think!? Carrier bags, cling film and baby wipes!! 😂😂

Jobey68

I must Add he's a builder so very practical, he said "it's ok I've sorted your showering problems"  as he came in the bathroom with a Carrier bag and a roll of masking tape!! Bloody hilarious! 😜

Jobey68

Anita it made us lol I Can tell you! Hubby said he will never get the image of me taped up with an Asda carrier bag in the shower out of his head!!! 😂😂

Charys
Community Champion

Wahha......glad you stopped me before I tried cling film......it had also occurred to me as a possibility earlier lol got the baby wipes ladies....flipping excellent!!! See this is the sort of stuff the nurses don't tell you, practical differences. 

On a diversion

Oh yes I used baby wipes the first day after op and then if I felt pongy during the day after washing.  My underarm is still healing so it is a good idea to take wipes with me where I go, hadn't thought of that before and will also give 'Hello Vera' a go, thanks for the tip xx

Bottyboo

Also quite a way into my wound issues I was fed up of sink washing but was told not to shower. Tried cling film. Didn't work. Luckily tried it just before a dressing get change. To be fair these were allevyn dressings by then
Bottyboo

I forgot about baby wipes! Years ago I had a phone call from my mother in law. Would I be able to take some baby wipes round to my brother in law (nearer to us than anyone else) as he was flat out in bed with a bad back and couldn't shower or bath. He needed to wash his front bottom! Slightly panicked as worried he might need help 😲 as she indicated, due to my disabled son, I was used to these issues. I just dumped them, made him some lunch and a drink and left quickly!!
Kim555pink

Charys, that idea came from my daughter going to many music festivals - needing to stay fresh and being unable to shower!! Xxx
Charys
Community Champion

Thank you so much for replying. The baby wipes is a truly excellent idea....on the case x

Kim555pink

This takes me make to December when I came out of hospital with dressings and a drain following my masectomy and reconstruction. I used to have shallow baths and washed my top half with a flannel. I also used to wipe under my arm with baby wipes whenever I felt sweaty. Because I had lymph nodes removed, I was unable to wear deodorant to begin with. I have since found that Aloe Vera gelly is a very effective deodorant! I've been using it for months now and it's got be through the non- showering days of chemotherapy (when I've just not felt up to it). Obviously it hasnt had the test of a full day at work - or a hot summers day!! But it's been such a relief to find something gentle in my poor armpits!
Sending you all loads of good luck with your recovery after your operations and any next steps 🙂
Xxx
Charys
Community Champion

I want 5 days !!!!!

Charys
Community Champion

I feel a bit better. Pain definitely improved , sore throat gone and ears not painful. God I sound like a right hypochondriac.....lol....and I'm not really. It's nearly been 48 hours now, so guess I can sign all those legal documents that have been heaping up since Tuesday lol.... and I can go behind locked doors in a short while 😉😊😉😊

Anita

Oh Jobey68 that has made me laugh the image of your husband hosing you down! Xx

Anita

My dressing was removed after 5 days. I was told to make an appointment with nurse at my GP's practice. How are you feeling today?

Charys
Community Champion

Oh Jobey, I so wish mine said to remove at day 5, but clear as day it says wait till you come back on Tuesday. I don't follow rules, I am a rule breaker usually.....

Charys
Community Champion

BOttyboo, you see I am wondering if they are shower proof actually. The discharge tick sheet indicated they might be and then there was a hand written note at the bottom saying Not to get wet. I reckon they just try to be very firm with people so that they don't take risks,  and then  have them back to have dressings changed. So, hold on is this clear dressing square thing breathable then, like that sealed thin plastic they put bread in at the supermarket ....with lots of weeny holes in it? Oh who knows, oh well onwards and upwards to a cleaner day. 

Jobey68

I did Indeedy!! 😜 My discharge notes said dressing could be removed after 5-7 days so I was right there on the dot of 5!! All very neat and tidy thankfully but made hubby look first 🙈 We don't use flannels normally just had a random few under bathroom sink so no your not odd!! 😜 

Charys
Community Champion

Thanks ladies, all good advice. I shall be  having a second attempt today and utilise your suggestions one by one........Jobey did you just take your dressings off yourself you naughty thing ? I think I am going to have permanently corrugated skin, as clear the square clear boundary was put on with my lying down and of course as soon as you are up, us slightly older ladies with larger chests have gravity issues, so I have hundreds of little stretched lines .( like when your sock too causes pressure round your ankle after you take it off ) this probably made no sense at all lol I apologise for that fact in advance. Anyway, 7 days seems such a long time for a dressing removal....I want to see what's going on. THe nurse said to let them know if any issues with the wound, then when I said how was I meant to know with an inch deep huge piece of green gauze covering everything she  looked a bit like she was thrown off her discharge speech. Err.......'you ll feel ill and have a temperature' . Oh ok I wait until I have a proper infection LOLOLOL  

I will need to get myself out today then, I don't own flannels , is that abnormal I have assorted other washy things but no flannels ? Yesterday I had to use a tea towel. Lol

Jobey68

Charys I showered with the help of hubby, he taped a carrier bag over my dressings and hosed me down! It was a quick flannel under affected armpit but never felt properly clean, would tell people to keep to the left of me as mine was right side!!  It gave us a good laugh 😂 My dressings were off by day 5 as they were driving me nuts!! 

Bottyboo

I echo the other 2 ladies. Although certain dressing are supposed to be shower proof you can't be a 100% certain. I just had all over washes at the sink and greasy hair! X
Anita

Charys I did exactly the same as On A Diversion & I have to admit I didn't smell as sweet as a daisy for a few days but at the end of the day it is only a few days. Try living with a peg on your nose & standing several feet away from anybody!!! Anita xx

On a diversion

Hi, I washed using a flannel and the sink for the first couple of days avoiding the dressings then after that either sat in a shallow bath and used the flannel or showered very, very carefully. X

Charys
Community Champion

Washing

ok you pros, tell me how on earth this is done? Lumpectomy yesterday, sentinel node removal, pain leaving it hard to utilise right arm, dressings on both breast and underarm which I am NOT allowed to get wet. I smell of hospital and antiseptic, and shower every day and not enjoying the experience of feeling unclean. How does one achieve this, just stand in a shower and direct away From one arm ? Forget it and deal with nothing for a few days 😞? Flannel kind of swatted around a bit? Enlighten me someone please ...........X