67930members
357670posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Highlighted

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Hi all, today has been a good day just feeling tired.
Caroline i only had an ecg when i had my meey with onc.
Soup and Doris Day dvd for me now. Whatever happened to Saturday nightnight.
xxx
Highlighted

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Hi Morwenna, it was an ECG - I was slightly conccerned as on my appointment it read echo.
Highlighted

Caroline, an ecg = electro-cardio-gram. Maybe you are meaning another sort of heart scan? I had a MUGA yesterday. This apparently gives a really detailed picture of how the ventricles are working, as some of the drugs can impair function unless closely monitored.I was supposed to have had an ecg as well, but ran out of day....

And Christine, yep, condoms WERE mentioned!! 😉
Highlighted

Hi Caroline,

I don't have a clue what they are going to be doing, or telling me at the pre-chemo assessment except a close friend told me we would be given a talk about condoms - now that really takes me back - three wise men came over the hill recently didn't they?

Regards, Christine
Highlighted

Hello Molton Lady, your post made me laugh.

Tomorrow Im glad things went well. Did the hosp give you an ecg or an echocardiogram on your pre assessment? I had an ecg, was told that I will not have an echo until i have herceptin.

Huggs to all.

Regards
Caroline xxx
Highlighted

Can I join the January Jem club?!
I started my first cycle of AC chemo yesterday after mastectomy on 29th Nov. I used the flipping freezing cold cap and am now looking for recommended shampoo and conditioner products. I'll get round to reading the previous 138 posts eventually and may find something in there but thought I'd say 'hello' first.
Tx
Highlighted

Hello January Jems.
Looks like there will be a few of us starting chemo on 15th - sorry yours has been delayed until then, Caroline, but it means we can compare like for like IF mine goes ahead! I am still having problems with the seroma (which sprang a leak 10 days ago despite draining), and the dreaded infection set in. I am now on antibiotics (Co-Amoxiclav 500/125) and touch wood, the redness is fading and the heat is going out of the the area around the mastectomy scar. So I will be going along for the pre-chemo assessment next Friday and hope they let me 'pass go' for 15th.
Our January Jems thread is really developing well but I am just so sorry that our numbers are clearly growing. It's great to know that we have this forum to share feelings as well as useful bits of information. Especially good that ladies from earlier threads are dropping in to give us such great encouragement.
I think at age 63 I must the the 'grandmother' of this forum. I have told my husband that between my false boob (and yes, ashamed to say, a few false teeth) by the time I get a wig there will be more of me on the dressing table when I go to bed, than in the bed!
Hang on in there, everyone. Big hugs all round, Christine x
Highlighted

Hi to everyone who offeed me their kind support, it really does help.
Well the chemo itself is not a problem everyone was great, the poor nurse was running her self ragged only 2 where on and they were running hours late , she was fantastic never stopped for tea break or lunch and didnt rush me when I asked questions.The cap is not too bad but I felt hindered by it also added hours on to the treatment time.what a waste if it doesn't work.
I started to feel sick 3 hours later and had a terrible headache felt like my sinus was playing with aching cheeks and teeth! couldn't take strong sickness tab as i felt so sick. I did get some sleep and this morning feel so mucnbetter have eaten and got the tablets down me yippee! just a wee bit tired.
Sandra i done a lot of preparing too ordered hats bandanas and a silk pillowcase. I'm still not certain if cap is worth the agro ithink ive made up my mind its not going to work, i was the only one wearing one the others just sat nice and comfortable with there nice wigs on. Waiting for this next leg is awful i nearly lost it and even had thoughts of not having it. I told my familt to hide my passport !It will come and go please god quickly and we will never have to pass this way again(another of my worries) one day at a time.
As for chemo brain I've already forgotten my daughter s name and have to stop to think.
love to all xxxPatxxx THANK YOU ALL
Highlighted

Hi guys, I thought I'd posted on this thread but can't seem to find it so apologies if I'm introducing myself twice! Technology not a strong point. Anyway, I'm starting chemo this month too - first session of FEC on Thursday and trying out the coldcap too. Hope you're all doing ok. x
Highlighted

Hello January Jems! Just popping in from the June 2011 chemo thread! It was such a support being in touch with others going through the same thing - I'd felt so isolated and scared until I found this forum. It was great to be able to talk openly about my fears and side effects with people who "got it". I always felt I had to put on a brave face around friends and family - and if I started talking about how scared I was they just passed me off with meaningless platitudes. They meant well - but just didn't know what to say.

Chemo, for me, was not NEARLY as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was like having a bad hangover for a few days every month - without the fun! With the support of my medical team and the wonderful ladies on here it seemed to zoom by. I then had surgery and radiotherapy and am off for my reconstruction in a couple of weeks (excited) but life feels good again! 2012 for me was the year of fun! I went on lots of holidays and made sure I spent loads of time with friends and family. Life does get good again.

I don't come on the forums often anymore. I used to try to, just to spread some positivity as there is alot of negativity on here (as people suffering are the people who need support - those of us doing well are off having a good time!). However, it got to the point where I was repeating myself over and over, so I decided to write it all in one place and start a blog called Chemo For Beginners - An A-Z of All Things "C" with my experience of chemo, tips to get through it, beauty tips, what radiotherapy is like and what to expect at the planning etc. It's a bit of a work in progress and I'm updating it weekly, but thought I would mention it in case it is of help to anyone.

Here's the Facebook link: www.facebook.com/chemoforbeginners
And here's the blog link: www.chemoforbeginners.com

Wishing you all the very best. You're one step closer to it all being over!

X

Highlighted

Hi Morwenna

I wish I could freak out now and again... then I might be able to understand why Im still feeling numb... I tried my scarves on last night with the husband.. and burst into tears!!!!... husband said he will love me however I look... he only has to give me a hug and Ive lost it... arrgghhh...trying my very best to get myself prepared and think Im doing well....apparently its the E in the FEC which has the potential to do damage.. I already have 2 stents inserted.. onc said they will probably have to take the E out and put something else in... baffling to me.. and I totally understand the bra thing....:-)) Im still uncomfy wearing mine... well its 5.30am here... slept a bit better.. going to make a cuppa tea now and sit and watch the sunrise while everyone else is sleeping// prefer this time of the day with my thoughts... hope all Jem ladies have a good day..much love to all xxxxx
Highlighted

Chicita, I don't actually start my chemo til next Weds. I don't know quite why I freaked out yesterday. I think I had just spent the whole day alone with my thoughts, and was just triggered by OH coming home late at night and telling me he can't come for my first treatment. I feel (relatively) fine today. I even wore my bra for most of the day! I don't know why I did that either! I think I was just determined to be more "normal" for a while!

I think that's the key. Our lives are being turned upside down, and any achievement, be it vaccuuming the house, wearing a bra or driving for the first time, although it is sore, makes us feel like we're not letting it tell us what we can and cannot do!

Sandra, I had a MUGA heart scan as well today. I think a few of these drugs potentially damage the heart, so they routinely test function before we start, both to get a baseline function test, and to make sure our hearts are strong enough.
They can stop or change the regime if it is having adverse effects, many of which are reversible once you come off the drug. Nothing to worry about, it just needs monitoring.
Highlighted

Well done Pat... Im yet to start.. gotta have an echocardigram on my heart first.. seems one of the drugs in the FEC will affect my heart :-(( in the meantime Ive been "preparing" myself... had my hair cut short... bought some scarves and bandanas.. talked with my kids about the cold cap and having a wig.. my son is for just letting things be ( think he doesnt want me to look very different) his words " why spend so much time in trying to look normal when u will look different anyways.. let us get used to that etc "...his way of coping.. daughter is all for anything I choose to do...just want to get started now but this hiccup has to be sorted out first...dont even know how im feeling to be honest... numb could sum it up!...trying to keep busy and all the family and friends around me but it just seem enough if that makes sense??.. still not sleeping well with this pain in my shouder.. keeps me awake..grrr... to all the Jems starting chemo.. chin up and battle on girls xxxx loadsa love n hugs xxxx
Highlighted

To our brave Jems paving the way for all us Jems to follow soon and starting chemo this week, Janan, Pat and Maggie (maybe more?) I really hope it went ok for you all, that you all coped and the experience wasnt too unleasant. I hope you are all feeling ok and not too many side effects. I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you all and pray that the days ahead pass smoothly, comfortably and you get some good rest. Stay strong and feel safe in the knowledge your all one down off the program! Big well done!
Love, light and hugs
Lynne xxx
Highlighted

Well done tomorrow - your post has given me some hope. Hope the tiredness is not too much.

Caroline xxx
Highlighted

Hi jems fitst one done ! what long day.Cold cap was not too bad honestly but adds hours on the treatment. I was only one trying itit, it is a palaver getting it on and sized seems my head is in between sizes so if i lose lots of hair will give it up and be shaved.
Really tired and feel sick could be 2 litre of water i drank.
Honestly jems not as bad as i thought.
will wrie whenim not so tired.
1 down 5 to go..
lots of love everyone
Pat xxx
Highlighted

Hi Morwenna,
By the time you read this you will have done your first chemo so can come back and tell all us ladies in waiting what to expect. I know what you mean about loosing it with your husband. I totally lost it with my daugher yesterday and now I feel bad about it.
I've given up trying to be brave and hide in the shower for a cry. If the tears want to come I just let them, don't care who sees. Tears are like a release valve for the stress and the more I held them back the more stressed I became.
My husband has been a bit over protective too which hasn't helped. He wouldn't let me do any hoovering but hasn't been able do it himself as often as needed which has been doing my head in. We live on a boat so the mud just gets walked in plus our dog moults like crazy! Anyway, as soon as he went out this morning I hoovered & dusted right through, took ages as I still have a stiff shoulder but boy did I feel better when it was done. It might seem like a trivial thing but I felt more normal again, if you know what I mean.
Yvonne X
Highlighted

Hi all, I went for my pre assessment today - everything went well until I was told the date of my chemo. I could not be fitted in next week so having it on the 15th. I know this does not sound a big deal - but I was so psyced for next week - I drove through the Kent countryside like a bat out of hell. I was so frustrated!!! I drove for 1 and 1/2 hours - then decided to go home as I ran out of steam. I am feeling better now - if a bit peed off.

Caroline
xxx
Highlighted

Thanks Ruby, its 1.50 am here, and I don't feel much like sleeping just now. Hubby is snoring his head off next to me. I don't know why I am so irritable with him just now. Just stressed out of my tree, I expect!
Hope all goes well for those starting chemo today, and in the next few days. It's easy to feel so alone with our feelings, but then you realise how many ladies are all going through the same experiences!

To be honest, I am not sure if it helps or not! But It's truly staggering!
(ok .... where are my ear plugs?.......)
Highlighted

Good morning Jems, just wanted to wish Pat and Maggie and all those starting chemo today the very best of luck... Sending you strength and good vibes that the day will pass smoothly and you cope well. When you wake tomorrow you will be a big step closer to beating this! Wil be thinking of you today...
Morwenna I'm sorry to hear your husband has to work on your first chemo. It's good he's going to ask for day off. is there someone else who can come with you if he can't? Remember you are the rodeo, you're the warrior and you're strong and you can do this! We are all here for you so you're never alone on this journey!
I hope the sun is shining on all the Jems today 🙂
Hugs to all x x x x
Highlighted

deleted double post
Highlighted

Well I just had a meltdown. My most major one (in front of a witness anyway). I usually only cry in the loo or the shower or when they've all gone out. My first chemo is next Wednesday, and husband comes home just now and tells me he is working Sun- Thursday next week. I said can't you change it, and he just said No I can't.
At which point I said, "I thought they said you could be fle-fle-flexible, and by the time I had that word out I was just sobbing and sobbing, about being frightened about chemo, and I'd lost my breast, and I was going to lose my hair, and being frightened about chemo and, and, and,....

And THEN he tells me I should be grateful they found it early enough to be able to do something about it! I could have clocked him!

I managed I think to sound suitably sarcastic as I retorted, Oh yes! I'm REALLY grateful!

He loves me, and he means well. But I am starting to feel like really the strength to do this has to come from me really. He's going to be working. Its just as well, cos I am not! I don't really need him to hold my hand all the time. ...... but just that first chemo....... anyway he's going to see if he can swap shifts. And I feel like a wuss.
Highlighted

Pat you will be brave my lovely, and when it's all over we will celebrate in style.
Will be thinking of you tomorrow, take care,
Maggie xx
Highlighted

First one tomorrow! Hope I can be brave. Will let you know how it goes. Chemoworld here i come.
lots of love
xxxPatxxx
Highlighted

Thinking of all you JANUARY JEMS .......some of you who are starting Chemo tomorrow. One thing I found really good on the Chemo Suite was chatting to other patients as like on here they all wanted to support the newbies. They come and chat to you and the volunteers come round with coffee, tea and biscuits. At least they did at my hospital in Derbyshire. Take a good book, your favourite magazine or some music to listen to . You can still have your mobile with you so you can just sit and relax in the nice comfy chair and text your friends with what is happening to you. Take a bottle of water and pretend it is Gin and Tonic !
I wish you all the very best, take good care of yourselves and you will be fine. Love and hugs Tracy xxx
Highlighted

I had my nuclear heart scan yesterday and it was OK. I had 2 injections half an hour apart and then 4 scans taking a minute each, followed by one that took 20 mins. The bed was so comfy I actually managed to fall asleep during that one.
While I was at the hospital I spoke to the wig lady, but I can't have a proper appointment to see her until I've got my wig prescription which I'll get next Weds. In the meantime she recommended this hairdresser in Manchester who stocks all the NHS wigs and I had a look at his website http://www.nickyoliver.com/CHEMOTHERAPY-ADVICE-.aspx
It's got some really good info & advice and I may even book an appointment to go there once I've got my prescription, could do with a bit of pampering

After my WLE I developed a large swelling that the Doc said was fluid and would be absorbed by my body in a couple of weeks. Well 6 weeks later it was still just as big and quite tender so I went back to the hospital AGAIN today to get it drained. It was just like having a breast cyst drained, and they got 50ml out! Watching on the monitor it was just like deflating a balloon and I'm much more comfortable now and both boobs are almost equal in size again.
No more needles or hospital appts until next week when chemo starts
Yvonne X
Highlighted

Hi all had my hickman line fitted today went ok just a long day at the hosp waiting around etc. Start 12 weekly Taxol & Avastin next thursday, will try the cold cap but have a wig on order too!!

Take care all
Sarah66xx

Highlighted

I went to my appointment to see some headwear today - they screamed cancer. They also were too big for my head and face - I was despondent. I took the opportunity to access the late night shopping in my area and bought 3 snoods - which my son told me looked really trendy. My tiny face and head are no longer overshadowed by a scarf or obvious headwear.

Caroline xxx
Highlighted

Hi Blue sky 19, what great news. I hope you have a great time with your sons tonight.

Hi tommorrow will be kinder, I have told my husband I would be going. I have spoken to my family as we will be staying with them. My home city is the City Of Culture 2013 and the hotels will be expensive - so tight wad me - has ensured we are staying with my family - our friends are coming with us - they have never been - so they are looking forward to it.

Caroline xxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies, I'm feeling a lot happier today. Got some good news, they have kept my bc at grade 1 following surgery (was told its likely to go up), it was 4cm and out of 20 nodes removed only 2 had cancer in them. As one of the lumps was in my lymph nodes I was expecting bad news on that bit. I see the oncologist on the 15th to sort out chemo. I will be celebrating with my 2 son's tonight. Feel so relieved can't stop smiling. xx
Highlighted

Hello Ladies! I start FEC-T on the 15th January after successful lumpectomy on a grade 3 invasive ductal tumour. No lymph nodes involved. Having a bone scan on the 9th January just because of some shoulder pain which wont clear off but I am not overly concerned about that at the moment.
Chemo terrfifies me as i suffer with anxiety and panic attacks so i have already built it up into this horrific monster!
Would love to make lots of new friends here who actually understand what its like. Family and friends mean well but sometimes its hard to keep smiling sweetly.
Lorna x
Highlighted

Good luck ladies, just popping in from the June 2012 chemo thread. All our ladies have finished chemo, some are just starting rads but we ALL survived.

It's tough at times and you will no doubt hate certain things about it, and it's not always feeling ill, sometimes it's the way you look, the way people treat you, the way you feel... Daft things will upset and you will experience very much inappropriate laughter...

Best advise from me, is take things as they come... Every one is different, every day can be different. If you need help...ask. Don't be a martyr to it, make it as easy on yourself as you can.

With the support you will get from the january jems you will pull each other through.

I started 5 th June and am starting back work end of the month. I don't look quite the same but have. Wee GI Jane look and eyelashes again, it does come back.

I wish you all the very best on your journey. Much love Eleanor xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies, I'm from the January 2012 thread and I just wanted to send you best wishes for your journey ahead. We were where you are now a year ago and we all got through it with the help and support from this forum.
For me the first chemo was the worst as I had no idea what to expect and my fear was far worse than the reality. I kept a diary throughout the 6 chemos of how I was feeling each day and there was a definite pattern so I knew which would be my good days and so I could plan to see friends etc.
If you have any questions please ask - I had 6 x FEC
Clare x

Highlighted

OK, we have a plan! I am starting chemo next Weds 9th Jan also.
Being triple negative, I'm going with 4 cycles AC (Doxorubicin/Cyclophosphamide), followed by12 cycles of Taxol, which will be administered weekly, so 6 months in all. Also I have signed up for a study to see if adding Herceptin into the mix will improve outcome. This is a randomised study of with vs without, so I guess I may not get the Hetceptin. I hope so though. I want to throw everything possible at this sucker to reduce my chance of dying in the next 5 years.

I am not finished with life yet! It feels bloody good to have the lines of battle drawn up!!!
Highlighted

Caroline ... golng home to Ireland.... sounds wonderful. My heart is in Ireland....
xxx
Highlighted

Hi Handc, Im in Bromley. IM her2 so chemo herceptin and rads for me also. On the 9th chemo - but could be moved to the 7th. Will find out on Friday of this week.
Highlighted

Dear all, good luck to those of you who are having chemo this week. Welcome to all newbies. I think we are all anxious about the chemo. i am totally freaked. My rads will be at Guys everthing else will be at my local hosp.
I am so determine to get through this. I promised myself I will go home to Ireland for a holiday in July. So hopefully my hair will grow back by then!! Im intending to go bald - I know I could not go through with the cold cap.

Take Care

Caroline xxx
Highlighted

Hi Jan Jems, Well I've been trying not to think about it over christmas & NY but the date has finally arrived and I've got the first of 8 FEC-T starting tomorrow so would really like to join you on this journey altho' I'm new to forums.
I had a WLE in Nov & full clearance & decided to wait til after Christmas for chemo, I'm glad I did because it's taken me longer than I expected to recover from surgery but I have small children & had non stop visitors in the hols so I'm now going to use this as an excuse to hibernate for a week as much as I can!
I've decided not to go for the cold cap, lots of reasons but if I'm going to lose my hair anyway I figured I'd cut the time the treatment takes. I've also always had long hair but I took the plunge before Christmas and had it cut short, it's the only time I've ever told my hairdresser to do whatever she likes and she wouldn't let me look til she'd finished and I love it. So maybe this is an excuse to reinvent myself - I've got a hair appt coming up and I'm tempted to go for something different again to confuse everyone.
Not looking forward to tomorrow but now just want to get it over with so I know what lies ahead, it all feels too surreal at the moment. Thank you for all the tips about coping with chemo, the nurse has gone through the side effects with me but it's so difficult to know what to prepare for and I don't feel prepared right now but it's really helpful having a checklist of things to try. Am dreading the nausea and sickness cos I really suffered when pregnant but they have reassured me they'll give me sth for it.
Ok well here goes, I guess I'll have a few answers the next time I'm here.....
Good luck everyone - it's going to be a challenging year ! xxxxx
Highlighted

Hello
Been resisting adding to this as makes it feels more real, but given loving the name and the image of Pac Men really appeals
Got my heart scan thing tomorrow and chemo starts next Wednesday 9th
I'm ER+ so 12 months of herceptin too
(have already had WLE)
Plus rads
2013 is going to be one hell of a year ....
I'm at Marsden in Surrey if anyone is local...
Highlighted

welcome Blue sky hopr you get good results good luck .
Dawn ...yes we have an excellent team.Have you been to the chemo unit ? it looks quite nicenice but i wasn't impressed with the head nurse,he just rattled on as if reading a script,never smiled once! maybe i got him on a bad day.
Feels strange just laid out my new stuff in bathroom ready for friday, hopefully wont need it. Going to get my bag ready tomorrow wonder if they have wi fi ? hope so.
Speak again soon.
xxx
Highlighted

welcome Blue Sky, good luck with your results tomorrow xxx

Pat, that's exactly the same nurse, surgeon and oncologist as me. I have found them all to be lovely people, couldn't have hoped for a better team of people. I know what you mean about being scared, I have so far coped really well but am now feeling very anxious and am becoming a bit snappy and short with people which I don' t mean to be. I think it's the not knowing how it will affect me that's making me anxious it's all ifs and maybe and until we actually get started you don't know how you will be. Right, enough of that, I'm starting to depress myself, happy face back on!!!

Dawn
xx
Highlighted

Hi to all January jems. I would like to join you all on this mad rollercoaster ride. I get my results from surgery tomorrow, had mx and full node clearance on 14\12\12, then it will be onto chemo for me, whoopee!!
Looking foward to giving and receiving support and keeping each other smiling as we tread this path together. May our side effects be mimimal and our sense of humour remain in place.
sending you all hugs
xxx
Highlighted

hi January jems
Dawn..thank you for trying to find a nearer one would really have thought king George or queens would have done this. I had a pre ass appointment on monday i wasn't given any meds either. I'm having chemo at k g and rads at queens.my surgeon was mr ***** nurse **** and onc dr *****.
As friday gets closer I'm getting more and more scared.
Good luck everyone.
xxx
Highlighted

morning all.
just wondered is it normal to have a pre treatment appointment and be given meds prior to first treatment. I have just phoned my nurse as I have not yet received a pre treatment appointment yet and she said that I don't need one for first treatment and just to turn up on the day(next Wednesday). Only meds I will be given will be anti anti sickness to take home after treatment and that pre treatment appointment will be before my 2nd cycle.

Pat, I phoned this morning to find out about a Headstrong service closer to home but the nearest is Guys or Southend.

Dawn
xx
Highlighted

Hi all, having the hickman line put in tomorrow then hopefully chemo next week , nearly 3 months after diagnosis,!!!

Need to get stuck in battling this now , love to all
Sarah66

Highlighted

Morwenna,
I LOVE you calling it the Mad Cow disease, the mad cow bit certainly applies to me anyway
I can't remember where I came across this, but I read on one of the forums one lady thinks of chemo as being like Pac Man going round her system gobbling up cancer cells. Now that's an image that's really stuck with me and that's how I'm going to visualise the chemo too. Only mine's going to be Super Pac Man because he's going to get every last one of them suckers! (told you I'm mad LOL )
x C
Highlighted

Ladies.. as i started this thread in the early hours of one of the mornings I couldnt sleep.. I love January Jems !!!!!... will change it immediately xxxx
Highlighted

Hi January Peeps

I wanted to share something with you all that is important in my life.

When I came to Canada from the UK I looked for a singing group to join because, a) I like to sing, and b) I thought it would be an excellent way to make friends with a common interest .... of course I never thought of joining a Cancer Community for that at the time!!

Anyhoo, I joined Rhythm of the Rockies Chorus (you can Google us), part of Sweet Adelines International, and it turned out to be all that I'd hoped, and a lot more actually than I ever could have expected!
As well as an absorbing and educational musical experience, I found myself with about 50 new friends. This group is a real sisterhood, more family than friends, some of them anyway.

I digress a little ... what I wanted to share with you was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-fbGubfxw
This is not my group actually, but another in our region, from Vancouver, British Columbia. The song which I believe should be our mantra here is "Warrior", which starts just at about 8.45 if you don't want to listen to the first part of the performance. Also, "Girl-child" which comes after it is quite perfect too!

Our group came first in our regional competition this year, so next November WE shall be competing in the Harmony Classic at International in Hawaii! By then I hope to be over this Mad Cow disease or whatever you may call it, and ready to sing with my sisters! ....... also, I've never been to Hawaii before! 😄
Highlighted

hi chic, the test is normal as are the taking of bloods + they send you home with prep meds - im having al done on friday of this week.

Regards

Carolinexx
Highlighted

Hello all, I am new to these forums but think they could be really useful. I have had quite an odd last three months and I don't think any of it has sunk in yet. I wonder if it ever will. Being only 32 I never thought this could ever happen to me.
I felt a lump in my right breast in September, got it checked by a doc beginning of October and was sent for scan, mammogram and a biopsy. The biopsy found non invasive DCIS (precancerous cells) and so I had a WLE on 6/11/12. The pathology results on this showed invasive cancer cells with an unhealthy margin around it. The cancer was grade 3 and measured about 25mm.
I was advised I could either have another WLE to remove the DCIS or a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I decided on the latter and this was done on 6/12/12. Almost 4 weeks on I still have a bit of pain and I am only just starting to drive but I have been told that all the cancer was removed with the initial WLE and nothing had spread to the nodes.
I do though have to 4-5 months of chemo every three weeks followed by Herceptin and 5 yrs of Tamoxifen. I have my initial consultation for this on 7/1. I don't think I'm too worried about losing my head hair, more my eyebrows etc. I am also dreading the knowing looks from people when out and about.
Like I said earlier I am struggling to acknowledge that this happening to me. I feel like I should have been sooo ecstatic when I was told the cancer was gone but I never really acknowledged I had it in the first place so this was difficult. I guess I'm just numb to the emotions, maybe this is a good thing?? This may be what is keeping me so strong. I have 2 young girls so I need to be!
Anyway, I enough about me, I would be interested to hear other people's opinions on cold caps as my hospital offers this.
Thanks and good luck to anyone starting treatment this month.
Sarah