71692members
376052posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

sarah66

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Hi all had my first taxol and avastin today with my hickman line that bit was ok just a long time on the unit, tried the cold cap tolerated 45 mins but was then told i needed to wear it for another 2 hours !!! 45 mins was bad enough i jus wanted to rip it off my head. I have to have taxol weekly for 12 weeks so ub fortunately have decided not to continue with the cold cap, got really upset b ut it really was a struggle 😞

Feel a bit tired and woozy now, resting

Sarah66 x

tomorrow_will_

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

wellwell done Rose tick that first one off !!!
I also had headache immediately after and my sinus killed but i thought it was the cold cap. I felt quite sick all night but did sleep and i have taken kalms which seem to help. CCONSTIPATION omg how clever of you to think of taking meds beforebefore i had so much pain it woke me up!! Have managed to "go" since but from now on plenty of fruit and senoket.
Had a good day yesterday and evenput a wee bit of make up on, caught underground (only one stop) to the shopping centre, needless to say I am suffering today and meds have run out .
Washed my hair yesterday and ..... all ok at the moment but tingled a bit. I was so scared and cried , so dreading the 1st fall out. Once that happens i think I will have possibly faced everything and maybe will be ready for anything .....hope so.
Much love to all , good luck and god bless .xxxCox
Morwenna

(cont) ....
I didn't sleep too well, just feeling weird/wired, not sure which. Headache is all but gone, and I hardly feel a slight queasiness, but I guess I can probably take my a.m. drugs now. I'm a little burpy. I am going to take a laxative/stool softener as a pre-emptive strike.... these anti-nausea drugs are apparently instantly constipating, and I'd rather not go there! Does anyone else have Emend? My combo seems to working ok anyway!

So to sum up, I suppose we all worry about the first one, but mine was not at all a bad experience!

HUGS to all waiting and on treatment.

Rose xx
Morwenna

Well, first chemo (AC) done yesterday.
Port discussion still ongoing. A nurse told me yesterday that the wait-list is up to 5 weeks! She said the docs usually don't mention it unless you ask, it's normally the nurses pushing for it!

Anyway, she used a vein in my wrist I had never seen used before. I hate getting poked:(, but to be honest there was no issue getting the drugs in. The "A" is the red stuff ... Doxyrubicin?.... and that has to be infused by the nurse by 3 big syringes into the iv, where it is mixed with the saline as it goes in. She warned me it can irritate the vein, and I was to tell her if it was burning, stinging or painful in any way, and she would put it in slower. In fact, although I felt a slight sensation, hard to describe, there was really NO discomfort.

Then the "C", which all you FEC peeps are getting, was dripped into the saline iv over a period of 45 minutes. This can give you a "sinus headache", which I was told to again say if I felt anything, and the infusion could be slowed down to an hour or longer as required.

Girls on here have reported it hurts to use arm veins, and that their face/nose was painful, but I think you just have to tell them if you feel these sensations starting (DON'T WAIT TIL YOU HAVE PAIN as it is harder to get rid of than to prevent). If they don't offer this advice because they are busy/rushed, whatever, do be assertive and ask them to slow it down. My centre can treat over a hundred patients a day, and they managed to be kind and patient with me!

I did get a slight headache, which was somewhat bothersome by the time I got home, and lasted all evening despite paracetamol, so I think I will request an hour next time.
rhondacat

Hi, has anyone had a re-construction with tissue expanders in? I had mine in place at time same time as Masectomy 7 weeks ago, it is still very painful & burns & is extremely uncomfortable! Lots of sleepless night sitting upright! Would love to here if anyone else is feeling the same discomfort? I have been slowly having the saline 50ml at a time every 2 weeks. Thanks for any info.
Rhonda xx
Caroline60

Hi all, I have organised some complimentary therapies for myself via a local breast care charity - initially 2 reflexology and will be linking in to reiki - as I have used both in the past to destress me. Have also stocked up on beetroot juice - an have got the juicer out - + bought lots of ginger In anticipation of having a furry/ulcerated mouth - I have bought Biotene products via amazon. That said - I am really anxious about my chemo on the 15th and just want it to be over as I have to have herceptin and rads.
Anyway, hugs to all and keep well!

Regards
Caroline
rhondacat

Hi Christine, WOW 450 ml I feel your pain, most of mine were 230ml I now have gone 6 days without being drained a record and it is looking good, hope this is the end of it for us both, one less thing to worry about, I had a tissue expander in place with my Masectomy this still hurts quite badly and is extremely uncomfortable, especially trying to sleep. I hope it will be worth it in the long run after Chemo and get my new gel boob. I'm going to work today 1 week after chemo and feel good, no nausea and not taking any meds as they zonk you out to much. Love to all x Rhondax
Sandra51

I start my FEC on the 29th january..I work as a foster carer and havent as yet managed to tell our child what is going on... 1) the childs understanding of what is happening to me needs to be explained in a way that they fully understand. Meetings with childs social worker to discuss the right way to tell is underway... I think that I am more concerned for them as family chidlren have taken the news really well... any tips and ideas would be helpful xx
Catjuggler

Hi Jems
Thought I'd report that I had my first chemo yesterday (EC no F for me). I did think about what the dog does when we take him to the vets but decided that my husband shoving me onto the ward would be too undignified. As it turned out the whole process was quick and painless. My appointment was at9amand by11amI was at home waiting for the side effects to kick in. I did feel a bit queasy and tired but not nearly as bad as I'd expected. I drank lots of water and found that sips of ginger ale helped. I also felt much better after I had some pasta for tea. I slept fine apart from getting up at4amfor a slightly orange wee.
This morning I felt almost normal. My head was a bit fuzzy but this cleared when I went into the garden to feed the birds. I've done little jobs round the house and taken the dog out for an hour (which really helped). I've also done a fair bit of sitting/laying down. My only worry is that when I stop taking the steroids and sickness tablets all this might change!
Chicita - I must admit I feel the same way about the scarves and bandanas. I bought my wig from the hairdresser where my MIL got hers (she had chemo last year). The lady I saw gave me loads of time and she took pictures on my phone so that I could text them to my daughter for her opinion as she was rather inconsiderately in hospital having had a baby two days before. It was also useful to see the pictures rather than just looking in the mirror. I've also worn the wig already to go out for a meal as I thought I would feel more confident once I HAVE to wear it. And I Iove the jumper!
Lesley - I've found the same when I've mentioned working. I rang the doctor to renew my fit note and was told that one would ring me, which is what I wanted so I could discuss going into work when I felt well enough. No one rang, they just gave me a note saying that I wasn't fit to work. I'll just go see my new grandson instead!
Hope everything goes smoothly for what ever's coming up for everyone!
Jane x
jellytot83

Hi Jems,

I'm from the Julyers and just wanted to share my blog post with you which are my top tips for getting through chemo http://thelittlestjojo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/top-tips-for-getting-through-chemo.html

Lots of Love and luck and if any of you would like to ask me any questions, please feel free (I'm 29, mixed lobular & ductal, had FEC-T chemo, just had a WLE and SNB, need further WLE and then have radiotherapy planned).

Jelly xx
chicita

Hi Jems,
I've been for bloods and pre-treatment talk with the onc & BCN today. Bloods & heart scan were all OK so I start the 1st of 8 sessions FEC60 on Friday.
After seeing the doc I went to a Headstart session & was also booked to see the wig lady. I thought the woman in the Headstart room was extremely old fashioned & seemed to be very concerned that I wouldn't be able to afford the hats they had on display so she kept bringing me scarves & bandanas to try on which was definitely NOT what I wanted! I know lots of ladies wear them but to me a scarf just shouts cancer patient!! It upset me so much I ended up having a panic attack & had to cancel the wig lady. Instead I'm going to see a hairdresser/wig supplier tomorrow.
I'm off to try & register as a temporary patient with a local GP this afternoon. We're currently living 50 miles from our normal GP & the hospital said that was too far, in case I need out of hours treatment or a visit from the district nurse. We live on a boat & are normally continuously moving & getting a temporary GP can be a nightmare as they don't like the extra paperwork.
Do you like my new photo? I've bought myself a chemo jumper. It's for when I don't feel like smiling during the treatment and is going on the fire in celebration when the last session is finished
bye for now
good luck to anyone else starting treatment this week
Yvonne X
Moulton_Lady

Hi Rhondacat
It sounds as though you and I are very much in the same situation with regards to seroma. I had no idea that it would beging to turn hard either - I was really worried as to what was going on and shed a lot of tears, then REALLY surprised when I was told that it was on the turn. For the record I was told that it should not go back to a situation where it needed draining again but they could not be certain. I was having 400 - 450 mls drained at a time but then filling straight back up again. It will be interesting to see how we go on from here!

Take care, everyone!
Christine
rhondacat

Hi Alison, Goos luck with your 1st chemo,I was terrified of having my first Fec but have to admit it really wasn't that bad! you mentioned working through your treatment, I had my first chemo one week ago today, I couldn't work for the first 5 days I was a total couch potato, but today I was back working in my busy retail store all day & hope I still feel well enough to continue until my next one on the 22nd Jan. love to all going through this! X
lesley60

Hi Clare I am so pleased I saw your comments,I am starting my chemo in Jan and the only thing keeping me positive is I am hoping to at least get to work on some days,but I must admit all the proffesionals I talk to about it seem to po po it, can you give me some tips on what you did,did you work in an office,did you isolate yourself,anything will do.
Thanks
jenny5931

hi
am starting fect-t on monday next and am really scared as am fairly new to nuneaton and dont know that many people and my partner works long hours.
i went to the hospital hairdressers yesterday to choose a wig first time ive really cried about all this but i was really upset even though ive gone through 2 ops without breaking down. my partner just said well you knew that ud lose your hair dont get me wrong he has been good but just does not get it.
jenny xx
Alison1961

Hi Everyone. Am starting my FEC chemo on 23rd January, having had a DIEP flap reconstruction at the end of November which went really well, removed the tumour and there was no spread to my lymph nodes. Am aiming to work through the chemo, have been reading through the posts and notice that those that have managed to work seem to work 2 out of the 3 weeks (thanks for those postings as it helps get your head around things). It's the unknown at this stage which feels daunting, and it is great to be able to post/chat with girls who have and are going though the same. The posts are invaluable.
Take care, everyone. Love Alison x
rhondacat

Thanks Cristine, for the info on your Seroma , I'm glad it's beginning to settle for you! I have been having mine drained every 3 or 4 days for 6 weeks now and also on anti-biotics now, as it got infected but just noticed mine is also hard & lumpy now and hasn't been drained for 6 day's still uncomfortable, but now I know from your post that I am also on the mend, I hadn't been told this! hope everyone is going well and handling life . 1 week today since 1st FEC feeling human again! Keep smiling x
tomorrow_will_

Good luck for tomorrow morwenna , I was so nrevous last week i wanted to run. Lets get this one ticked off and you will be on here giving all our new jems lots of advise. I went with my sister as my daughter was so stressed she was physically sick,seeing her sad face made me think f**k you cancer !!
Waiting to hear from you tomorrow telling us all it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be...Good luck and god bless xxx
Morwenna

Hi Caroline,

I am technically HER-2 negative, but actually my status is 1+,.so HER-2 low in reality.

This is a study which I think may just be in North America. They found that some HER-2 +ve ladies who did well on Herceptin actually had very low levels of the receptor, so they decided to run a study where it was given to some HER-2 low patients and compare their outcomes (recurrence) with a control group who do not receive the drug.

Unfortunately I have just been called to tell me that I have been randomly assigned to the group NOT getting Herceptin. I feel part disappointed and part relieved! At least I wont be getting injections for a year that might or might not help, and the good thing is that I will be closely followed for mets for the next ten years, by which time, recurrence is very unlikely as I am triple negative.

I do feel somewhat depressed though, and anxious about tomorrow's first treatment. I am getting a bit of a headache......... 😞
HelHel

Good luck with last one! and thanks for advice!
x

Jayne_m

Peppermint oil should be fine I guess, Peppermint tea is - let me know if it works! I have just had my last chemo so one more lot of SEs to get through 🙂

Jayne x
HelHel

Ah thanks Jayne!
Yes went from one extreme to the other overnight! It's like a pandoras box of alternative treats!!
God - glad can smile about it - wasnt smiling this time last week.
Just tried some peppermint oil rubbed into my tummy - now wonder if I should ask about that first?
Hel
x

Jayne_m

Hi HelHel

Sadly the bowels seem to veer from one extreme to another for me over the first two weeks then settle back to normal. Worth talking to your BCN for advice, I have been known to take senacot one week and imoium the next but only because I needed to go out and wasn't taking any risks - normally I avoid imodium as it is so strong.

I havent found a cure for bloated stomach but probaby due to the wind that chemo causes - I have had a few painful days but it seems to wear off.

Jayne x
HelHel

Jayne
This is a great help to me too. I'm still having indigestion at day 13. I will ask for something too.
I dont suppose you have any thoughts about loose bowels (sorry everyone, but have to ask)! And bloated stomach.
Tks
H
x

Jayne_m

Pumkin Alert

I suffered from constipation and now take Senacot on days 2 and 3 after chemo which seems to do the trick, you can get stronger stuff from the GP if you need it but dont leave it, it needs to shift....

For indigestion, I was prescribed Omeprazole which works brilliantly, just take one every morning and no side effects, they just nueteralise the acid caused by the chemo.

Remember that there are remedies for many of the side effects so don't suffer in silence, call your BCN.

Good luck with your treatments

Jayne x
Caroline60

Hi Morwenna, what trial are you on? Is it the Persephone? I am going into the unit tomorrow to ask exactly what I am going to have.

Tomorrow - big (((((hugs))))) morwenna molton lady and I will be joining you soon!!!
Regards
Caroline
tomorrow_will_

Hi jems, sorry not been on for bit feeling so tired and suffring wih a sor throat which im keeping an eye on. Had awful stomach pains last night and im constipated nothing is helping to move it!
My brother in law had a heart attack sunday so everythings up in the air, my poor sister seems to be living at the hospitals .
Hello to all our new jems and a great big GOOD LUCK to everyone having chemo this week.
God bless us allall
rhondacat.... i love a glass of wine but could not face i now !!!
xxx
Morwenna

I asked my onc about a port yesterday, and she hummed and ha'd and said she didn't think it was unreasonable, especially if I was selected to receive Herceptin on this trial. But there seems to be some problem getting them done; she said I "would hopefully" be able to get it done in time for my second treatment, but she did seem a little doubtful.
Perhaps if I tell the clinical trial doctor that I will drop out of the trial if they don't "port" me .....? I bet all the obstacles, whatever they are, would miraculously disappear!
Caroline60

Hi Christine, I am glad you are feeling better. My Chemo boat sails next Wednesday - I asked the nurses if i could have a picc line or other - but was told no - as they had no one to insert them. I advised them I would speak to the Oncologist. Not a peep from the nurse. I am having herceptin as well. It appeared to be a no for everything.
Moulton_Lady

Hello Jems,

I had a wound assessment this morning following infection and antibiotics. I was very worried because I felt that my seroma had 'turned to rock', creating a lot more discomfort. What it apparently means is that the seroma is beginning to settle, and 'solidify' which is the next stage so most likely will not need draining again, thank goodness. I was warned that it could still take a time for it all to be reabsorbed, but now that I know what is going on I am much happier. It does feel rather as though I have been pumped full of 'Polyfiller'!

So now I am on target for the Pre-Chemo Assessment this Friday, and first FEC-T on Tuesday, having had a PICC line inserted that morning. I will also be seeing the Wig Lady that morning and have just had my hair cut short in readiness for it all to fall out. I have the kindest hair dresser who has been added to my list of 'Angel Soldiers' - I started with my two daughters-in-law and a close friend, and now have an army!

Take care everyone,
Christine
Sandra51

Morwenna I had my hiar cut short last week... have a lovely mobile hairdresser who comes in.. and she said when I get my wig ( if I want one) she will cut and style it for me.... not made a decision about a wig at the moment... isnt it strange in my work life Im so organised and direct with decision making but my personal life im buggered since dx 🙂 xx
Sandra51

Phew... didnt think I would get butterflies over a phone call..... start chemo 29th January.. dont know how Im feeling right now so Im attacking the mountian of ironing!!!
rhondacat

Hi Girls, i had my Mastectomy on the 14 th Nov 12 followed by 18 Lymph nodes removed only one came back positive! i have had a lot of problems with Seroma & infection! I had my first FEC Chemo x 6 treatment on the 2nd Jan! first few days I was shattereon lots of symptoms dizzy, nausea, burning skin feeling, and yes I cried a lot! 6 days later & I'm feeling a lot better, starting to feel like eating again, still can't face a nice glass of wine 🙂 hopefully the worst is over until the next one on 22nd Jan. I work full time running my own business and found this very hard to do being so fatigued. My heart goes out to you all! We we all get through this, We just need to take one day at a time!
Morwenna

oh that sucks Caroline. I hate delays:(

Today was fine! I took the stairs to the 9 th floor to get my ecg done, so that was my exercise for today. Then I went visiting old colleagues as I used to work in that hospital. I popped into my current place of work and handed in my sick note for 8 months, feel so well today, it feels like I am playing hookey!! I met with my onc, and she has promised to try and get me a port put in for my second chemo, no time before we start.....
I had been worried about being unable to contact HR over the holiday period, re getting on short term disability when my paid leave runs out, but my manager called the appropriate person, and he has already emailed me all the forms I need, and is really encouraging.

Finally, I am going to see my hairdresser in little while to get my hair cut "really short", and I've booked an appointment for the end of next week for a wig consult, and arranged for my best buddy to come with me.

Altogether, I am having a great day! I feel positive and ready for battle. Bring it on!!! 🙂
Caroline60

Hi Morwenna, I hope all went well today. Good luck for Wednesday - I was meant to join you but chemo has been delayed as a result of staff shortages. Im not too sure why.

Morwenna

Thanks for asking Lynne, .... Yep, he managed to get the day off yesterday. He wasn't able to swap shifts though, so he will lose a day's pay, which I feel a bit bad about.

I have to see the onc today, and get my ecg done as chemo starts Wednesday, and I'm going on my own today as he has asked to be excused. He hates hospitals I think, seems to find them really stressful, whereas I've worked in them for ever, so don't feel so strange I guess, although I am not used to being the patient!!! 😮
HelHel

Well first proper day back at work today for me. I did go on Friday last but I think I must have been in a Chemo Fog! No idea what I did?!
I only work short hours, but still tired. Only 1-2 people know whats going on, so to everyone else, it's normal business and I'm just normal (ha ha) H.
Had to do a bit of running round from one dept to another, and this has worn me out!
Still nice to get back to some sort of normalacy even if just for a short while.
BTW - thought I would ask.......getting quite alot of gas (burps) and indigestion. On Epirubicin. Any others suffering the same?
H
x

Rubydoo

Welcome to Tiffany and Helhel, I haven't started my treatment yet and still waiting to see oncol, but surgeon said it would be sometime next week so hoping to get a call soon as I just want to get started. Waiting waiting waiting... I pray it's soon!
Sandra I'm sorry to hear you've got shoulder pain... I'd try and get it looked at as soon as possible as it will play on your mind until you do. Every little pain I have I think it's something else... It's frustrating how paranoid I've become since diagnosis!
Pat, glad to hear you've managed to eat ok... Tea with bread and marmite is the universal medicine I think... No cupboard should be without a jar of marmite! I'll be making sure I'm well stocked before is start. Any tips on what to buy to eat might be useful to share amongst our Jems... being in France I can't get many of the treats so if I know advance I can have them sent out.
Morwenna did your husband manage to get the day off for your treatment? I do hope so xx
For our brave Jems who've started treatment... Well done.. I hope the days ahead stay comfortable and easy for you.
Love to all the jems
Lynne xxx
Sandytoes

Hello! Oldtimer alert again!

Just wanted to say not to freak out too much when your hair does start to shed while using the cold cap. I lost alot of hair and almost gave up, but showed someone who'd used it successfully who persuaded me to keep going and I am so glad I did. I've met a few women who just had FEC who didn't even thin much - but I thinned alot and looked pretty rubbish for the whole time I was having chemo - but a month afterwards looked OK and was really thankful for the cap.

I know some of you have seen my blog - but there's tips and pics of me cold-capping here: http://chemoforbeginners.com/2012/11/20/keeping-hair-cold-capping/

x

Caroline60

HELHEL, welcome - you are in good company here - sorry your having a rotten time. I would phone bcn if you are have fluid. Take care and ((((hugs))))

Caroline
HelHel

Hi Tiff
Same with me. I cried for 10 mins and puffed like a demented steam engine! BCN said if I could tolerate first 10 mins, it would settle. I did and it did too. And next time, I'll take or ask for some pain relief before hand.
My BCN wet my hair first then sprayed with conditioner. No idea if this helps - time will tell.
I have noticed some hair loss already but I have alot of hair, so think I can get by with some loss.
I'm going to stick with it, but with a view to saying goodbye to cold cap if the loss gets too much and go brave without hair.
Good luck to you and hope you get on better next time round.
xx

Tiffany71

Thanks Sarah66, the cold cap was uncomfortable for the first 10-15 minutes but then either the paracetamol kicked in or it became more bearable. I wasn't bothered by it after about 30 minutes in and i had it on for 3hrs15mins. Next time I shall take paracetamol before I go in. I did have a mild dull headache the next morning, not sure if that was due to the cap or the meds but it wasn't too painful and was gone by the afternoon. I was prepared to try it and I was also prepared to take it off if it were too unbearable. I've already bought my wig so am prepared for hair loss and may find myself wearing it to disguise any thinning I may experience. Whatever the chemo throws at me, I'm ready! Now need to get some Simple shampoo and conditioner and a silk pillowcase!
It's worth trying... Good luck 🙂
Sandra51

sarah66

I have also changed to the simple products... soap and shampoo etc xx
tomorrow_will_

welcome HelHel, sounds like you are having a hard time, poor you. All the ladies on here will help you with anyhing you are worried about. I'm so sorry i can't help you with the fluid i never had this problem, but someone will be on here soon with advise .
Good luck and hugs xxx pat xxx
HelHel

Hi Ladies!
Can I join the JJ club please? (my first E cycle - no F & C, was just before New Year, so hope you allow me?!)
I've been having fluid build up on lung so few days after 1st cycle, I had 3rd drain to date, so that and chemo mix really put me on a downer.
I think fluid maybe building again, but actually feel better at day 10.
Nice to read all your posts, and good to know that we are force to be reckoned with!!
Go girls!
H
x

Morwenna

Thanks for the update Pat!

Hugs. xxx
tomorrow_will_

Welcome Tiffany, I had my first fec friday i also wore cold cap , i didn't find it painful while wearing it but after WOWmy head killed me as well as cheek bones and teeth. Nausea kicked in 3 hours later ugh! I found cap very restricting and quite envied the others sitting comfycomfy moving about easily and havind a much easier time, going to carry on but if hair falls out too much is it worth it ? Good luck.
Well Jems 1st day was not bad at all managed to eat which is a biggy for me as I've lost so much weight.
Only 3 hours of sleep to be awoken by bad pain up my..... will leave that to your imagination. Took meds and back to bed , no mass for me today. Slept until gone 12 !!! tea with bread and marmite 2nd lot of meds and apart from a wee bit tired GREAT. So far day 2 good .
Ladies we can do this ...Speak soon.....xxx Pat
Sandra51

Morning Jem ladies!!!

When I started this post I certainly didnt anticipate the number of ladies joining 🙂 it is lovely knowing that we are all at different stages of our treatment. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a problem Ive been having... just before I had my WLE & SNB I told my consultant that for a couple of months before I had been having constant persistant pain in my right shoulder blade which spread round to my right boob.. sharp shooting pains... I still have it now.. my GP upped my morphne dosage and my BCN asked me if I had been referred for a bone scan.. I am now getting concerned cos at first I thought it might have been pain from the surgery but I had it before surgeery??

Im so doped up on medicationn from other ailments I dont know what is masking what!!.. do I call my bcn and ask her if anything can be suggested.. this pain knocks me off my feet when it happens.. thanks ladies for listening to my rant this sunday morning xxx
sarah66

Hi tiffany71 i have got some simple shampoo & conditioner from the pound shop in readinness for the cold cap, start my chemo this thurs. I have a bou of 11 and a girl of 16 , i am 46. how was the cold cap i am planning to try this . Has chemo in 2008 and lost my hair so thought i would try to keep it this time. How long before and after treatment do you have to wear it??

Best wishes Sarah66x

Caroline60

Thanks tomorrow, I hope you feel much better tomorrow. I am watching ripper street with my oh. Its s***.

Regards