71628members
375801posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Rubydoo

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Morning Jems
Day two of FEC and its going well so far, hope im Not speaking to hastily. Christine we have started together on the same day and so has Caroline too. I hope you are feeling better today Caroline and got some better anti sickness drugs? Ive been thinking of you and sending big get well wishes to you! I can only describe my experience as a bit of a hangover with heavy head, bit of sea sickness and occasional need to lie down. Ive got up today aft a good night sleep... My one year old only woke us twice with teething which is good as he has 4 molars coming through poor little thing, but otherwise I slept well. This morning ive hoovered, done some paperwork a load of washing and now sitting down for mid morning snack of weetabix with green tea and catching up on BCC before my litle one wakes up. I am having an injection tonight for white blood cells which is apparently going to make me feel quite bad, does anyone know anything about this??
Good luck for today Lee you will be fine... I feel so much better now the killer drugs are starting their rampage!!!
Hugs to all
Lynne xxx
Leelaloo

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Morning Jems,
Well done Christine, first one now done. I just wanted to ask, I am having first FEC today (am nervous ). Is it okay to eat a meal tonight if I feel okay or will it make me sick?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Lee X
Moulton_Lady

Hello Jems,
I also thankfully had the first FEC part of the chemo yesterday. I had a scare because the Oncologist wanted me to have a Heart Echo test first and I worried about the implication for the chemo if they found anything - but they didn'd
tand all went ahead but not without some drama. It took 2 hours and 3 attempts in the morning for the PICC line to be inserted as my veins kept going into spasm so I ended up with an arm that felt as though it had been squashed in a vice! A microwave wheat pad has neatly dealt with the pain, along with some Cocodamol.

Further to my earlier post about paracetamol and the risk of masking temperature, I was told yesterday to take my temp before taking pain killers containing paracetamol, and if I had any problems and needed to contact the hospital, just to let them know what I took and when. I was also told to get into the habit of taking my temperature so that we could see roughly what it should be if there were no problems.

With regard to the FEC, I am going to touch wood when I say this but I am fine so far. My only problem is that I have been wide awake all night, having not slept the previous night! Just a bit of a woozy headache.

Best wishes all round, Christine
Janijan

Like most of you I never thought I'd be here! I was diagnosed with biopsy results last Friday after finding a lump just before Christmas. I had a clear routine mammogram last summer. I am having a bone scan and PICC fitted on Friday and start FEC on Tuesday. Talk about shock! They say its growing too fast to have a mammogram now, that will be after chemo.
Anyone else doing it this way round?
There seem to be some awful experiences of FEC. Any tips on how to avoid piles and everything else?
chascat

Caroline, I was violently sick all night after FEC 1, my onc prescribed Aprepitant (Emend) and I wasn't sick again, although had moments of nausea. I do know some oncs won't prescribe due to cost, I didn't have to ask, my onc gave it to me it's soon as she knew i'd suffered prolonged sickness, please push for it if it isn't offered, you shouldn't have to suffer any more than is absolutely necessary x

chicita

Hi Caroline,
I hope by now you're feeling a bit better. Have you got any ginger biscuits you can nibble on? I found they helped a lot as they boost your blood sugar level which can get very low if you keep throwing up. The ginger is a traditional remedy for sickness & nausea too. If you go to the hospital they can give you an injection to stop the vomiting or they can send out the district nurse to do it.
X Yvonne
Caroline60

Thanks Lynne, I will push for Emend. I am still not feeling great and have phoned the ward. They advised me to take the other anti sickness tablet and wait for 1 hour. If still not feeling well I have to go to hospital. Oh joy!!!
Rubydoo

Hi Caroline... Im so sorry to hear your struggling with sickness. I would speak to our BCN and say the meds aren't working. Ive seen post on this site in the December thread (Cybele) you need to say, you need something stronger and you should get Emend. You should not have to suffer sickness!! Its just not fair on top of everything else. Im not sure about the other sickness pills but can guarantee the Emend is working fine so push hard to get it. Good luck... You probably cant think of anything worse but eating a little often may help to combat the nausea... I saw that on here too. Ah i hope you get sorted really soon.
Gentle hugs...
LynneXx
Caroline60

Hi all, I need a bit of advice. I have been violently sick had taken 2 anti sickness tabs 1 hour beforehand. I have now taken the prescribed other anti sickness meds. Is the sickness normal. I have been given the cheaper anti sickness meds and not Emend.

Regards

Caroline
jenny5931

hi
yes im ok so far hope it stays that way
jenny x
jenny5931

hi
yes im ok so far hope it stays that way
jenny x
Caroline60

Hi all, first chemo over. I feel wrecked.
HJU63

Hello Sarah, sorry to hear of your bc diagnosis. Welcome to the reluctant and bumpy bc journey.
I live near Coventry and am being treated at UHCW. There is another thread called "anyone local" where a small number of us in C&W talk, you may want to have a look.
I know what you mean about children being your strength - although mine are older they were the first thing I thought of at diagnosis and I am determined to see them grow into great adults.
Helen

HaloB

Not sure whether I will begin treatment in January (find out thursday hopefully) but here goes ........
Hello,

I was diagnosed with BC on November 15th 2012, 1.3mm tumour in left breast, ER+, Grade 3, no Lymph NI. This cancer arrived (thought by docs) due to damage caused by previous radiotherapy i had 18 years ago for non hodgkins lymphoma (from which i recovered well), had a left mastectomy on 19th December 2012 and am due to start chemo in a few weeks EEK- in one way chemo doesnt feel as horrific to me as as it might do to someone who hasnt been through it before, on the other hand I know what's coming!! I have been reading all of your posts the last few weeks and have related so much to what some of you have said, however i don't know where to begin posting so thought I would just post an introduction as a starting point.
Im 37, married to a lovely husband and we have two beautiful children 5yrs and 1yr old, they have been and are my absolute strength and inspiration to kick this thing into touch! I feel confident about treatment and getting through this but I'm terrified about the future, i.e learning to live with this again, possibility of reoccurance or other cancers. I would love to hear from anyone, in particular mums, anyone who has had BC as a result of previous cancer treatments or anyone who lives in the Coventry&Warwickshire area.
Keep Strong
Sarah x
Rubydoo

Lovely Jems... Had first FEC today and feeling not too bad so far. Had Emend so sickness fine, bit of a headache, wrestless legs and bit woozy off the little anxiety pill they gave me at lunch time so all in all... Ok!
Big hugs to Caroline... Thinking of you and keeping tight hold of your hand. Hope it wasnt as scary as you thought?!
Day 2 to Melissa... Loved your email last night... Your an angel... Hope your ok and SE non existant 🙂 xx
Kelkel im so sorry you've had another setback with fliud... I would feel rotten about it too so i'll pray that you find the strength to deal with these obstacles and OVERCOME them promptly... Big hugs xx
Lisaloo I definitely think the anticipation of 1st is so much worse than the actual doing it.... You will be fine and i will we thinking of you all day! I can keep you posted a day earlier on whats happening for you to prepare for the following day 🙂 x x
Wendy great tips on the pineapple , i have some that i make for my little boy so will tuck into them when needed. I also have mango, blueberry and apple, and blueberry and pear so if they work too. I'l add them to the list.
Well done Neadl for tackling your first TAC, you got to have some gusto to deal with that (ive got mine after FEC!) I'd say try a 5 minute walk from your house if you can manage it... Lots of people say the fresh air and exercise combo will really help your head and SE's so get them boots on and find someone to walk with you. If you start slow and short, then build up slowly... Hope you feel better soon.
They dont give steroids here in France so interested to see how i get on. I have Emend for tomorrow, paracetemol, mouthwash, magnesium vitamins and have white blood cell boost injection tomorrow night which will make me feel quite crap. But for drugs.... thats it! Does anyone elso have different to that? Im triple negative...
Strength, light, love and laughter to all the Jems... United we stand against this nasty pIece of work!!!
Lynne x x x
Airlinelady

I will start my chemo next Monday - having a portocath inserted tomorrow and hope I will be well enough to come home afterwards. Thank you for everything ladies, you are helping me through this challenge in my life. Going to buy a few crazy wigs from Ebay and keep my fingers crossed! Jx
Neadi

Hi guys! Started first TAC chemo last Thursday (10th) and have been feeling pretty awful ever since. On Friday I had to rung hospital to fax down stronger anti nausea meds and yesterday (Monday ) was the first day I felt well enough to just get out of bed. I really want to go out for a walk and get some air, but I just feel so so wiped! It's really put me off wanting to go back for round 2. Do you guys have any hints or things I should ask docs next time so this doesn't happen next time??

Xx
Leelaloo

Thanks for that Wendy,
Think I will go and stock up with some today.
Leex
PS Hope you feel okay today Jenny
Wendy56

Jenny

Well done that's one ticked off

Wendy
Wendy56

Leelaloo pineapple is good for sore mouths and also helping with nasty furry mouth while on chemo. It's worth a try think it helps most people but have it before things get too bad.

Wendy
jenny5931

hi
had my first fec yesterday it was easier then i thought but have not slept well as had a dull headache so lets see what today brings good luck to anyone starting today
love
jenny x
Leelaloo

Good morning January Jems,

Hope all went well on Monday for you Stormdancer and Tiggsy. Good luck today to Caroline and Lynne will be thinking of you. Am starting first FEC tomorrow. Having 3 FEC and then 3 TAX. Is pineapple supposed to help when you have chemo, what is it for?
Good luck everyone
Lee X
HelHel

Supposed to be on 2nd cycle this Thurs but fluid building again on lung, so another drain first on Thurs, then Chemo pushed back to next Monday.
Last drain was traumatic - think I reacted badly to the Oramorph. Will be given Diazipam instead.
Not feeling in the best of spirits tonight.
H
x

Caroline60

Hi Lynne, thank you for this - Im eager to get this started and finished. Im stocked up on pineapples for juicing and iceing and eating. Good luck for tommorow.

Regards
Rubydoo

Hey Caroline
I am also starting my FEC tomorrow so we can do it together. This is the start of really getting stuck into seeing this off once and for all. Please try not to be scared I will be holding your hand every step of the way. Ive seen the chemo lounge before and its not a scary place.. its serene and there's an unspoken unity and feeling of respect, support and admiration for all of us who are going through the same thing. Ive only seen it with my mum but tomorrow it will be me... Talking with others who truly understand... In the hands of the angels my mum would say, the BCN's. The first one is never as bad as you expect and try to focus on what its doing to the C, an thats kicking it out, not the SE if you can.
On a good positive note i got an ALL CLEAR today from my bone scan yay im so chuffed. Ive got my fighting spirit back after i found myself rudely back in the waitIng room when I thought that I was clear after i got my pathology results back. Hey ho now i know i can beat this nasty piece of sh£t so roll on with the chemo!
Big hugs for tomorrow Caroline... We CAN do this!!
Lynne xxx
Caroline60

Hi ladies, I have my first FEC tomorrow. I did have a good old cry today. I am really frightened. I have not been on here for the past 4 days as I decided to take a nice trip to York and then Norfolk. My legs are walked off me!!!

I hope you are all ok?

Caroline
butterfly7

Good luck today Tiggsy and StormDancer xxx
StormDancer

Hi all I had my mx late December and starting chemo tomorrow, I am the pregnant one so getting a bit nervous now and hoping there won't be too much snow in the morning xxx
rhondacat

Hi All, first Fec was only 12 day's ago, woke this morning with a headache & tender scalp! What I have been dreading, well another thing anyway my hair has started to fall out already, I honestly thought it would last a bit longer than that! lucky I have my wig already, but still not looking forward to having to wear it! 😞
HelHel

Hi Jayne
Been trying the peppermint oil (in a carrier oil). It feels very soothing to rub into my tummy, and the smell is nice.
It does seem to do something, and that maybe more to do with the circular clockwise movements. It's what I used to do to my little girl when she was a baby to ease colic - and I guess it has the same effect..............
H

HelHel

Hi Tiggsy
Welcome to the group!
Yep - all that you are feeling is totally normal! For me, all the lead up to day it felt like it was happening to someone else. I was so disconnected from it all, talk about head in the sand.
Best of luck for you tomorrow. Spect you know but keep fluids topped up and you may want to start having something for constipation.
If you having cold cap - take something warm to keep snuggled in.
Everyone here will wish you well.
Air hugs!
x

Tiggsy24

Hello all, just wanted to say hello to all other January chemo beginners/January Jems....

I'm starting my 1st cycle of FEC tomorrow (Monday 14th) and starting to feel nervous, anxious and just generally strange all rolled into one... a totally normal feeling I'm sure off!

Hope your all having a lovely weekend 🙂

xxx

chicita

Welcome Red Admiral,
Sorry you find yourself here but you've come to a good place full of lovely ladies offering all sorts of advice & understanding.
I'd get some Dulcolax in ready and maybe take it on the first night. If you took it the night before and it hadn't worked by the time your chemo started but then suddenly decided to work you might be in an uncomfortable spot. You'll be hooked up to a drip so a dash to the loo would be inconvenient to say the least
My veins are rubbish too but the nurses who do the bloods and administer the chemo are experts at finding them so I wouldn't worry too much about a PICC line yet. They put a heat pad on my hand for 5 mins to help the vein surface and the nurse got it first time without any pain. It might help if you wear a glove while you're waiting too.
best of luck, let us know how you get on.
Yvonne XX
Red_Admiral

Hi all, I start FEC on 21 Jan for 4 cycles then docetaxil for another 4 and herceptin for a year. I had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy back on 5 December, margins and nodes were clear. I'm glad I've found this thread as a lot of you have put my mind at ease the whole thing has been making me apprehensive. Got my wig sorted out on Friday. I did ask about a picc line at my hospital but they persuaded me to see what it's like on first attempt before I go down that road. It just worries me as when I had my lumpectomy putting the cannula in was awful they couldn't find my veins and I cried - lots. I then woke to find 5 holes in my hand where she had obviously tried to find other veins when I was asleep, I was black and blue. I hope I don't have the same problem on first day of treatment. is it a good idea to take dulcolax before I start treatment to avoid being constipated? And hints/tips would be appreciated x
butterfly7

That should have read ' my nans way of looking after me' not mans as I don't have one of them lol xx
butterfly7

hi ladies,
It's been a while as my internet has been down. I have been thinking of all of you, especially those who started treatment in the last week. I think I have now caught up with everyones posts. Welcome to all those who have recently joined this thread and good luck.

Well I had my first FEC on Wed 9th, eventually. Due to staff shortages and staff not being able to find my consent form I was there for 3 hours before treatment even started and at one point was told I would have to come back the next day!! But luckily consent form was found (where it was supposed to be) and drugs were administered. I was nervous and apprehensive but due to the loveliness of the nursing staff the process wasn't as bad as I expected. I also had my mum and grandparents for company which helped take my mind off things.

Came away from the hospital feeling pretty much how I did when I arrived which was surprising, not sure how I expected to feel but don't think it was quite so normal!! I felt so well that we managed a big shop round the local Asda (my man's way of looking after me). Started to feel a bit nauseous as the evening went on and had a restless sleep that night and was sick in the early hours of Thurs morning, but felt fine afterwards. Don't think it was solely down to the treatment, more a mixture of a long day, adrenaline and eating late that evening.

It's now day 4 since treatment and I'm feeling better than I expected, I'm sleeping well at night, feeling tired and nauseous throughout the day and have dozed off on the sofa a few times which is unlike me. I'm still managing the school run and trying to keep things as normal as I can for my children. Right now just taking each day at a time.

Everyone else seems to be coping brilliantly too, we can all get through this together.

Dawn
xxx
*Pat, I didn't get offered any refreshments. Maybe next time lol xxx
chicita

Hi Jems,
Well it's now C1 + 2 days so I thought I'd give you a little update.
I'm on FEC60 so that's quite a bit weaker than the full dose.
The first night I had awful nausea and threw up a couple of times but after a very disturbed night I woke feeling quite good and have stayed that way. The steroid pills have made me a bit hyper but in a good way I think. They made me a bit giddy, like a happy pill? I've now finished taking them & the strong anti-nausea pills and just have the weaker anti-nausea ones (metoclopramide 10mg). I'm taking them half an hour before meals which is what I used to do when I was pregnant & had mega sickness for the whole pregnancy. It seems to be working and I'm eating normally again.
The main problem I've had has been the constipation but by taking Fybogel since the day before chemo & a Dulcolax tablet last night that's sorted itself out now too.
The onc registrar warned me about the SE which can give you very sore hands & feet so I've been plastering both with emolient moisturiser. I get Cetraben on prescription for ezcema but you can buy it very cheaply in the chemist & I've found it's much better than E45. I'm very much one for prevention rather than cure as you can probably tell, and have been using arnica cream on my hand to reduce the bruising from the canula in the hope that they'll be able to use the same vein again next time as my veins are really crap.
I appreciate that my chemo isn't as strong as most of you are having so my SE's will be less too, but I must stress I feel way better at the moment than I ever thought I would, so I hope it's the same for you ladies who have your chemo this coming week. The fear of what was going to happen was definitely the worst thing, next time it'll be easier.
Hugs to you all
X Yvonne
lesleythom

I'd like to say hi to other January chemo beginners. I was diagnosed with a stage II metaplastic fairly small lump in late November, then had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy about a month ago. Margins and lymph clear, which is a good start.
I started chemo (FEC) a couple of days ago. Have been taking the additional meds and so far little nausea (which I am terrified of!), but feel tired, a bit breathless and very fuzzy headed.
Sandra51

Hi Christine

I'm glad that you have mentioned paracetomal.. I am on codeine/para for other ailments etc... i have also got to have an echogram cos of having 2 stents inserted 4 years ago.. my ECG were ok but I guess they are double checking... I am on a lot of medication and i asked my onc if chemo is going to affect anything that I take... she did tell me that I will be taking loads more meds on top of what I take now.. grrrrr I start FEC on the 29th January so have started to prepare myself xx good luck Jems xxx
Rubydoo

Hi Christine
Thats really intersting what you say about paracetemol as they prescribe 1000mg every 6 hours here and not much else... Even during chemo. I will definitely ask about that.
I did have full ANC but because I have a one year old boy (he's quite big for his age) who needs changing, play, putting to bed daily etc etc there is quite a lot of strain on my arm which is why I got seroma... Ive just over done it. At first i was doing fine with the exercises but A few days a go it swelled up red and very sore so had it drained when they put the PICC in. The PICC procedue is fine, its just after it is painful across the back of my shoulder and pulls when I pick my little one up (Mine is on my chest where he rests his head). Im just frustrated that it was my right arm for ANC and I was getting used to using my left and now my left is weaker than my weak right. I believe the stiffness only lasts a few days so by tomorrow im hoping to feel better. I feel so limited and Im not used to that... I suppose there's lots of things now that we could take for granted that will need more care.
Do you get over to see your friend? France is great until something like this happens and then you need family and friends... Skype and phonecalls just doesn't do the same as a big hug when you really need one!!
big hugs
Lynne xx
Moulton_Lady

Hi Rubydoo,
I am guessing you had lymph node clearance because you, like me, have a seroma. Try not to worry too much about the bone scan - my understanding is that if there was any sign of cancer in the lymph nodes the bone scan is a 'routine' part of the investigation. For the record, I had 23 lymph nodes with cancer (out of the 24 removed) and my bone scan and CT scan were both clear.

I am having a PICC line put in on Tuesday - why is yours causing a problem?

Where in France do you live? My dearest friend who also has breast cancer lives near Bordeaux.

Kind regards, Christine
Moulton_Lady

Hi Jems,

Warning given to me re taking PARACETAMOL whilst undergoing chemo!!!!!!!

I had my Pre-Chemo Assessment yesterday which included ECG and bloods. But one of the things that came up in the discussion was the fact that I am still taking quite a few pain tablets because of my seroma pain (although the seroma is much better) namely Cocodamol which are a mix of paracetamol and codiene. When I asked if it was okay to continue with these I was told that paracetamol lowers the temperature. This could apparently mask a developing problem with the chemo so I was told to stick to codiene as a pain killer. I was surprised to get this advice because I had just had a medication review with my GP in readiness for starting chemo, and have Cocodamol on my repeat prescription! You may get different advice to me but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

As more Jems commence chemo it is beginning to sound as though the anticipation is worse than the event. Hope SE's are small for all - I start on Tuesday but have just been told I have got to have a heart echo done - not sure why because the ECG was okay. Thankfully they are not going to hold up chemo for this to be done.

Take care all, Christine
Rubydoo

Hi Jems
Well what a posse we are turning out to be... Ive only been away a few days and we have so many new members. Welcome to you all and here's to walking united on this difficult journey ahead of us all. Big hugs to everyone starting treatment this week ive tried to memorise names but we are such a big marching army my head not in best place to remember so i do apogise. My dad arrived on Monday and ive been enjoying spending time with him So nit had much chance to log in.
I went in to have my port fitted yesterday and to have my ecg only to get to the end of the day to be told i needed a bone scan!!! NOT what I was expecting at all after having had CT scan last month and got pathology results back beginning of Jan. ive mentally prepared myself for where iam now and nobody said anything about a bone scan. I feel like im going backwards... im the lowest ive been... Cant even pick up my son cos both my arms are out of action with seroma and now the extremely painful PICC! I had my oncol appointment today ready to start chemo next week and they've brought the scan forward but haven't given me much reassurance and said if results turn out positive for bone mets it will change my treatment which is due to start Tuesday. Now ive really got THE FEAR! Have they forgotten to do the test before now? God only knows buts its really rubbish. It doesnt make any sense having the bone scan so late when ive had all my scans, ops etc last month. Yes i am grateful they have got the appointment changed to Monday... But still!!
Im finding being here in France increasing More lonely and frustrating as i haven't understood one appointment so far. The translator that was arranged for yesterday got stuck in the blizzard (my journey there is a whole other nightmare of a story) so he didnt turn up and we did the ususal pretending to understand we understand. We get by on understand 10 words out of a paragraph. So got lots of prescriptions i dont really know what for. i do know im on FEC and Taxotere. If any of you have any info then i'd appreciate it... I not only feel like im in the dark woods... Im now feel blindfolded and hands tied behind my back:-( how can i feel in control again... I need to be strong for my treatment....
I really am sorry for moaning but not sure where else to turn, my husband is amazing but he's dealing with so much and don't want him to see me struggling.. this is the one place i knowwhere people truly understand...
Lynne xxx
Morwenna

Day 3 post AC 1 : Not a great night. Woke up feeling shaky and nauseous. Tea toast and drugs administered. Now feel sad. Feel like a cancer patient.
This too will pass ........ I expect.
chicita

Hi Jems,
Well I didn't run away and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. It was defininitely a case of fear of the unknown being worse than reality, next time it'll be a breeze.
The unit had lots of bays each with 3 or 4 chairs so it didn't look like a ward at all which was great. My appointment was for 8.30 and we were out by 9.40. I had a trainee nurse and a supervising sister who sat with us all the time, they were both lovely and told me what everything was as they were doing it. I had a saline drip through a canula in my hand and the 3 different chemicals were then fed into the canula one after the other. The E was first and I didn't feel anything at all apart from it was cold. The F & C both made me feel a bit woozy, like a double vodka down in one (not that I drink vodka). My only problem was they made me really cold and a bit shivery so next time I'm taking a blanket.
I had a shot of steroid and anti-sickness stuff through the canula and came away with steroid & anti-sickness tabs (Metoclopramide Hydrochloride 10mg) and a bottle of mouthwash.
SE's so far? a bit of a headache but nothing a paracetemol won't shift (probably just the stress), a bit of nausea so I popped a pill and a mouth that feels like the bottom of a budgie's cage so I'm sucking mint imperials. I'm keeping up with the Fybogel too as I really don't want to get constipated in case that kicks off my IBS.
1 down only 7 to go
Hugs to everyone
X Yvonne
cath78

Hi chiquita how are you feeling i started my first FEC on the 8th Jan so only two days before you I havent been too bad just the windy thing which i think chemo gives you anyways.
Morwenna

I heard about the cold cap, first via my sister in law in the UK, who decided not to use it, and then on this site. I thought it sounded like medieval torture, and that was before I was diagnosed on my own account!

When I found out it was happening to me, I'd already decided it was a stressor I could do without. I have for a long time worn my hair short, so maybe its not such a big deal for me.

I was talking today to somebody here in Calgary, a nurse actually, who is starting chemo on the 29th, and she is dreading losing her hair, so I asked if she was considering the cold cap, and she hadn't heard if it. It struck me then that we had never heard any mentions of it at any of my appointments.

So I don't know if we can even use it here. It probably is something one would have to pay for oneself. I know it costs something like $1500 in the US. Canada healthcare covers many of the essentials, but there are a lot of things we do have to pay for. I also think that in a unit where they are treating often over a hundred patients a dayas ours does, the staff might be less than happy about the extra time it takes!

Just rambling Rose this evening! 🙂
tomorrow_will_

Hi yvonne had my first chemo a week ago so im a week ahead of you. What can i tell you...well the actual chemo unitunit was nothing like a hospital ward at all even down to the reception area. A lovely man kept coming round asking if we wanted hot or cold drinks and when he saw me wearing the cold cap he realized i was there for a long time and asked if i wanted a sandwich.
The time went really fast and the staff where lovely even though short staffed.
I was terrified and also wanted to run away my daughter had sobbed and was physically sick so armed with the knowledge that cancer had done this to my beautiful teenage daughter i tried my hardest to go fight that bastard.
Good luck , it will be fine .
Let the jems know how it goes.
God bless xxx
chicita

I start FEC tomorrow and I'm a bit aprehensive to say the least. I have a real hospital phobia after having to stay for 3 months when I was pregnant with no.1 child and think I may just get to the ward and then loose it & bottle out. When I told the BCN yesterday she told me to mention it to the ward reception and they could arrange for me to have some form of complimentary therapy to help keep me calm. Husband has said he'll stand right behind me so I can't turn round and run away. I'm sure my fear of the hospital is worse than my fear of the FEC, it might have helped if we could have had a look round yesterday but they were very busy.
I'm going to take Morwenna's advice and have a couple of Fybogel drinks tonight to try and ward off the constipation.
On a good point I got my wig today. We went to Nicky Oliver's hairdressers in Manchester & they were wonderful. Nicky himself spent 2 & a half hours helping us choose a wig and then cutting it to make it look better. He then cut my hair into almost the same style so the transition to the wig should be fairly un-noticeable. I'd definitely recommend him to anyone in the Manchester area. He made me feel so good, like a woman not a cancer patient.
Is anyone else having their first FEC tomorrow?
XXX Yvonne
tomorrow_will_

Hi Sarah sending you a big big hug, you are a star and well done.
Lots of love
Pat
xxx