68003members
358072posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Highlighted

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

airline lady
hope you are enjoying your wine tonight and best of luck for monday. do let me know how you get on
julie
Highlighted

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Thanks for your welcome Rubydoo, these forums are so great - having all this support is just amazing.
I wanted to say to you red admiral that I am 38 too and I have had a bone scan. I had it after my surgery as it was all so quick, and they didn't have time to do it before hand, but I would defo find out why they haven't done one for you. Maybe they don't need to and if not, happy days.
Just been out to shop for my chemo supplies, lots of ginger and snacks...
Big hugs everyone xxx
Highlighted

Hey tomorrow another one for the TN gang... Im starting to feel like maybe we're a little more than 15%. It seems to be becoming a lot more common.
Thats great news that you should be all finished for your 60th. Now that'll be some party celebration and well deserved after the mammoth journey you will have just come through. Im hoping that my treatment will be finished the week before my 40th birthday at the end of June. I'm keeping my fingers crossed already. I wonder how many people get through treatment on time and without setbacks?
All ive been given is paracetemol for the first few days so thats quite unsettling hearing that they can mask other things. Ive heard it a few times now. I'll try and explain it to my onc but the language barrier is tough at times. He doesn't speak any English (i live in france) and i dont want to come across like i'm telling him what his job is, Or am i being paranoid? I do have a good ear thermometer so will keep on taking my temperature before i take any paracetemol. They treat everything in France with paracetemol... After my caesarian they gave me paracetemol as well. They're just not good for the stomach either. I think i'll try and mention it. Thanks for the info.
xx
Highlighted

Forgot to Merion.. My radiotherapy is booked for May 13th 3 weeks (not5 as previously told) x5 weekly. As long as chemo goes to plan....so that means should be done and dusted a week before 60th birthday !!!! PARTY PARTY PARTY...if I've got the engry .
xxx
Highlighted

Morning jems
not been on for a while...welcome all new jemsjems. Chiciita..will try your recipe thank for that.
Rubydoo....yep im tn too!! Wasn't told by surgeon or anything explained to me ...I found out by mistake on here!!!
Side effects have been not too bad, but had bad sore throat andhad to have blood test but was allowed homehome. My tip is as soon as you get any of the flu or cold like systems with or without temp phone . I did and although passed from out of hours...ring chemo unit...ring G.P he insisted on bloods. When I saw oncologist Thursday he said I done the right thing..if left could have meant a week insemi isolation.Ladies do not take paracetamol as this lowers temperature andcould mask any underlying condition. Its ok to take painkillers that don't contain paracetamol.
First week ... so tired... but this past week GREAT back to me pre chemo. Next week ...they'll be no stopping me. Straight aftafter chemo and for that week,I looked 100. I didn't recognize myself in the mirror...honestly..Lokk more like me now.
Second chemo Friday...here we go again!!!
Love to all. xxx
Highlighted

Hey Yvonne...
My fellow TN companion. I feel the same about being part of the norm... never have so far so why now I have BC! I see you live on a boat, thats a fab choice for a palace. I have many pals who live on boats and build boats and i've always had desire to do the same one day! What a beautiful lifestyle.
Ooh cheeky little ginger cakes sound delightful... and very easy to make so thats good for me! I'm off shopping today so will pick up the ingredients and have a go at them. Ive just had my first ginger tea... Not bad at all! I think they've overloaded it with sucrose so not brilliant but its a start on my, 'i really love ginger' campaign! Im not sure if its the same as ginger beer, but i managed to get hold of some ginger ale, the weaker relative so i may even try that today.
I think sharing recipes is a fab idea so if anyone else has found something that you cant live without while on chemo the i'd love to know more.
Me personally, well ive gone for what i used to cook for my mum when she had chemo which is macaroni cheese with mushroom and a little crispy bacon. My OH cooks a casserole dish of it and it does me the first few days of mini meals which has worked great for keeping the nausea at bay... Mini meals all the way for me. Macaroni cheese.. very simple;
2 x rashers bacon cooked crispy (fat cut off)
1 cup mushroom (diced and fried in low fat olive oil spray)
1 pint white sauce made with cornflour, skimmed milk and lots of lowfat cheese (emmental) grated in
wholewheat macaroni
Cook everything and then layer in a little casserole dish and bake in oven with lots of cracked black pepper and bit more cheese on top... yummy and very easy on the palette!
Enjoy xxx
Highlighted

Happy weekend Jems,
Rubydoo, I'm TN too. Never been "normal" so why was I surprised to find I was one of the "15%" BC patients with a TN tumour?
I made these little ginger & sultana cakes yesterday. Personally I can't taste the ginger as my taste buds are in hiding at the moment but husband says they are really tasty, oh & they're quite high in fibre too which can only help.
Little Ginger & Sultana cakes - makes 12
4oz soft butter
4oz brown sugar
5oz SR flour
2 eggs
1 heaped teaspoon ginger powder
2 tablespoons milk
8 oz sultanas

Whisk everything except the sultanas together in a large bowl.
Stir in the sultanas.
Drop mixture into 12 paper cases in a muffin tin & bake at Gas 4 for approx 25-30 mins.
Simple & delicious.
Enjoy!
Highlighted

Morning all...
Ive just stocked my cupboard with a range of gingery treats... im hopng the more i eat the more i'll get to love it! Thanks for the tip Yvonne.
Sarah the port was just a day procedure and its been great as ive very few decent veins in my arms so i think they made the decision based on that. Its a little stiff and sore after they put it in for a few days but i hardly notice its there now.
Rhondacat im so pleased to hear you're feelng better. Long may it last!
Welcome to the Jems Sue... Here's to sharing the load, the highs and lows, laughter and tears and the love and support to boost you when you need it most. We are quite a big group so know you have an army of Jems behind you.
Caroline i haven't heard a whisper of any trials but im HER- and everything else negative unfortuntately so maybe there's nothing for us TN folk at the moment. Is anyone else TN in the Jems?
Red Ad ive just completed FEC 1 and it was fine.. No nasty side effects to write about and i still functioned well for my little boy who's one, running everywhere and teething so im pleased I was able to function pretty much normally.
Christine my seroma has got worse since i had chemo... I had it drained when i got my port fitted and it was great but now its really sore again. Im seeing asomeone about it on Tuesday, im hoping they will drain it again.
Has anyone got nice plans for the weekend? Im hoping to get out for a nice walk round the lake this afternoon and take my little boy sledging... and maybe try a bit shopping later if the walk doesnt zap all my energy.
Happy weekend to all 🙂 ynne xxx
Highlighted

Aww I'm glad you got that sorted in the end. My first appointment isn't until 1pm on Monday so I know I'm going to be stressing all morning. I wish I had an early morning appointment. I'm concerned as I haven't had any bone scans or heart checks before starting the FEC I thought they did this as routine for everyone. I start herceptin and docetaxil at cycle 5 so I really hope they do tests before I start that. Is it because I'm 38 and they don't feel the tests necessary? I think I also mentioned in a previous post I asked about a PICC line and they won't fit one before treatment starts as that option is only a last resort if they can't find a vien. Perhaps my health authority are different. Here's hoping the snow goes away, they find a vien and I don't get bad SEs. Love to all xxx
Highlighted

Thanks Red Admiral & Dawn, I hope so too that I'm well enough for Tues! After waiting 9 hours for a Dr I begged the nurse to have another go at putting in the cannular for IV YAY it worked! I hardly slept all night Waiting on a Dr who never came! Grrr my time is diff than yours as I'm from Australia, my daughter found & signed me up on here & I'm so glad she did. I couldn't find a group like this here! Thanks for all your love & support! I hope Red Admiral your first round goes OK I found actually having the Chemo treatment not that bad, I worked my self up on the day & stressed big time, try not to do this as this is the easy part. I hope you don't get any nasty side effects! I seem to be taking the hard road.
love & hugs to you all Rhonda xoxo
Highlighted

Rhonda, sorry to hear you have been admitted to hospital, hope it's all sorted soon and that Tuesday's chemo can go ahead.
Dawn
xxx
Highlighted

Aww Rhonda hope you're ok. I start first of 4x FEC on Monday and I'm hoping the snow we have goes away, as I don't want any problems in getting there. So have you now been admitted for 5 days? This worries me as I'm a single mum don't know who will look after my son and it'll the pets if that happens to me. Wishing you better soon. I'm apprehensive I just want to get started it feels like ages ago since I saw the onclogist on New Year's Eve. Best wishes xxx
Highlighted

Thankyou to all gems for your support & hugs tonight I need them! They had to take out my IV as it looked Red, now they have attempted 6 times to find a good vein but can't, waiting for a Dr now to have a go. I'm very stressed out right now & over it all! Just hope my cells come back good enough so can have next chemo on Tues, they will make a desicion on Mon if it possible, I just want to get all this crap over & done! Love to you all & I pray you don't get this problem! I need a good stiff drink about now.
love Rhonda 🙂
Highlighted

Hi ruby, its the herceptin trial - im going to have herceptin. Im feeling much better today. I did not sleep in hospital so snoozed today. We are snowed in today - had a 10 minute walk to blow the cobwebs away.

Best wishes to all.
Highlighted

Hi Jan Jems,

Rhondacat - Think you must be leading the charge for us Jan Jems as you are 15 days post 1st chemo but sorry you have ended up in hospital. I am now 4 days post 1st chemo and feel very jaded, not sleeping very well and feeling the impact of 100% of the E in FEC, but okay. I am still on the pain killers for the seroma. It is as though it really is trying hard to clear up but the pockets keep opening back up - very sore. Then the PICC line area is very bruised from the 3 attempts to get it in, and the dressing feels very tight as I think it has swollen a bit so I am just keeping an eye at the moment. I wasn't given a choice re this - they do it for everyone at Northampton, and I think on balance I am still pleased to have had the PICC - we'll see.

Sounds as though injections, wigs, meds vary area to area. I am having 8 x white cell booster injections following FEC. Also, I have had my wig appointment at the hospital. The first wig (not National Health) is on them, but I don't know the cost as it is free to me. I have ordered a 'night cap' for £5 and another cap and scarf trim for £12 (for when we go out walking), and a wig care set of products for £15. When I go for the Oncology appointment on 31st I am going to have a 'No 2 cut' regardless of whether my hair has started falling out or not (but expect it will have) just so that I am taking charge of just one little thing in all this!

I know we are all very much feeling for each other which is really great. Hugs all round, Christine
Highlighted

Hi all you brave ladies - I'm starting chemo next wednesday and I've been reading all your posts for a couple of weeks, getting all the tips that are working for people. Just wanted to say good luck, and hang in there - we can all get through this, it'll be totally crap at times but we have to do it.
I'm getting FEC-T, 6 treatments like lots of you and I have to say that the waiting is tough, partly because it affects everyone so differently so you can't really prepare for it, just have to take what comes.
Sue xx
Highlighted

Hi, I agree with Chicita about the ginger remedy. Certainly helped me during pregnancy nausea.
The nurses have advised I get a port Lynne as I don't have enougveg pod veins. Was this painful?
Sorry to hear you are in hospital Rhondacat. Hope you get out before next treatment.
Sarah
Highlighted

Rubydoo,
Ginger is an old fashioned remedy for all kinds of sickness. It works particularly well with pregnancy & sea sickness & has worked well for me with the chemo too. I've been nibbling ginger biscuits whenever I felt it coming on plus I take one ginger capsule every morning (Holland & Barratt) and so far, touch wood, I've hardly felt nauseous at all.
Rhondacat,
Oh dear, and you were doing so well too. Hope you're soon feeling better & the hospital stay isn't too bad. Let us know how you're getting on. I'm now 7 days after 1st FEC and getting paranoid in case I catch anything, at least the weather is giving me an excuse to stay indoors and keep away from people.
Stay warm today Jems, here in Macclesfield the snow's coming down thick & fast, looks like we're in for a white-out.
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Airlinelady,
I was told it was OK to drink the night before chemo but not to have any for 48hrs after.
Hope this helps
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Rhondacat.... So sorry to hear you're not so good. Lets hope the antibiotics kick in fast and you'll be back home in your palace before you know it. In the meantime i'll say a little prayer for you and send you lots of strength and warm hugs to comfort you. Lynne xx
Highlighted

rhondacat.... So sorry to hear that. Thinking of you and please god you will be home soon. Big hug xxx
Highlighted

Good morning Rhondacat,
So sorry you that you are going through this terrible time. I really do hope that the antibiotics kick in and you are well enough to be back home soon. Great big hugs and will be thinking of you. keep us updated .
Love
Lee X
Highlighted

Hi all, I have had a setback today, 15 days since 1st FEC and got high temp 39 and shivers , I have been admitted to hospital with Neutropenia, drop in white blood cells just had a injection to boost bone marrow to make more cells so I can have more chemo! GREAT!!!!! I am having IV anti- biotics for 5 days! Hope you are all coping well with your treatments. My daughter came to the hospital today and shaved my head as my hair was falling out in chunks 😞
Highlighted

Hey Sarah well done you.... and even more so for managing fish and chips after it all! Thats definately a good sign in my eyes... You'll be on KFC tomorrow and breezing through this toxic haze. What is the general thing with the ginger biscuits, why are they recommended by so many? Why not rich tea or shortbread? Ive never been such a fan of ginger biscuits but if they've got hidden chemo soothing qualities then im prepared to give them another go. Ive been grazing on small portions of all sorts of tasty delights and i think the little and often is working well for me. Im at the end of day 3 and surviving ok after a ropey start this morn. No more antisickness tablets for tomorrow so little nervous and i think the wound where my port was fitted might be a bit infected so dressed it with an iodine dressing and fingers crossed it'll be alright in the morning.
Thats great news Caroline that you got sorted out.. Shame t took a couple of nights in hospital but you got the Emend so worth going in. You really will see a difference next time. Whats the persephone trial?
Goodnight to all our Jems... Sleep well
Lynne xxxx
Highlighted

Hi all and thanks Lynne and Lee for your kind words.
1st FEC went well, got home about 6 and had fish n chips. Takes a lot to spoil my appetite! Feel a little nauseous but have taken the second anti sickness tablet of the day and had a ginger biscuit. Hopefully this will help.
The cold cap was uncomfortable at the beginning and for the last half hour but was ok in between. Had it in for almost 4 hours. Feel tired but I reckon I would have done anyway after a day like today.
Hope everyone else is feeling ok
X
Highlighted

Hi ladies
Welcome to any new ladies x
For all those who have already started well done for getting this far and hanging in there. From what I've read most of you are coping really well and for those who are suffering with some of the side effects I'm sending big hugs xx
I'm very surprised at the difference in post chemo drugs that are prescribed even for those on the same chemo drugs.
Well I had my first FEC on Wednesday 9th January so am 8 days on now and I'm feeling relatively normal!! On the day of chemo I didn't leave the hospital until 7pm but felt no different to how I did when I arrived. The nausea set in about 9pm and I did wake at 2am and was sick 3 times but then felt fine. Didn't sleep too well that first night but have slept normally since. The following day I had steroids (Dexamethasome) to take for 2 days and 2 lots of anti sickness, Granisetron for 2 days and Domperidone for 4 days. From Thurs-Sun I felt nauseous, tired had a headache and was a little constipated. I also had the horrible taste in my mouth and the roof of my mouth still feela little rough. On the 5th day after the FEC (Sunday) the district nurse came round to inject me with Lenograstim and I have this done everyday for 6 days so last ones tomorrow. Since Sunday evening I have felt normal, no side effects except tiredness which is not what I expected at all, I expected the worse case for all the possible side effects so feel I have been let off very lightly but am aware this may not be the case for all future chemo.
I went to look at wigs yesterday and found one I liked, howvever it is not in a shop which accepts the voucher issued by the hospital and I don't have £180 to buy it outright. I've left it a bit late though as I know my hair could start to noticeably fall out in the next few days and I still need to sort out getting the voucher from the hospital and finding out if the 2 shops that accept the voucher stock the wig I have seen!!!! Time to pull my finger out!!
Good luck to all the ladies starting chemo in the next few days xxxx
Dawn
xx
Highlighted

sorry hit button twice while drinking beetroot juice - its yecky nice. but cold.
Highlighted

Hi ladies, thanks for all your support. Iv just been discharged from hospital today. Will be having Emend next chemo. Aldo had echo as i have opted into the Persephone Trial. Still some nausea - but not as bad as before - it comes in waves then goes again. In saying this - I am still upbeat and ready to face the next one. I know i can get through this. I know it will be tough - but life saving is my mantra.

Take Care ladies and thanks again for all your tips - especially re emend and ginger!!

Regards

Caroline
Highlighted

I love your response Handc and glad you are feeling okay - that really helps me alot. As for the wine, I will take a sip or two! Have a great day and all the best to all. Joyce x
Highlighted

Hope you don't mind if I just pop in and say hello! 2 years ago today I had my first chemotherapy (17 jan 2011). I had 3 FEC then 3 Tax (had white cell injections only on tax) then 12 months of herceptin.
Yes, i felt rough, mainly with sore mouth and fatigue BUT I loved having no hair (had different scarves to match what colour clothes i wore).
Now life is brilliant, my hair is shoulder length, my stamina is back (although this did take a while to return) , and the time has flown so quickly, its unbelievable that its 2 years ago.

Go, girls, go, you can all get through this, just remember to be kind to yourselves and listen to your body. If you need to stay in bed, do so. It took my illness to 1)get a tv in my bedroom 2) get hubby to buy a dishwasher!
Thinking of you all, January Jems
Truddles xxx

Highlighted

Quite a lot of positive posts - how lovely to see
I was so frightened of what would happen once chemo happened and so far not as bad as I feared (8 days on from 1st FEC). I am of course touching wood & crossing fingers as I type this.
Airlinelady - have a glass of wine if you fancy it! I joked with chemo nurses about a glass of wine to calm the nerves whilst they put in canula.... Their very sensible advise was it only takes an hour for a unit to leave the system, and as long as you are not drinking so much you are dehydrated, a glass or 2 won't do any harm. Lots of water day before and keep your arm warm helps
Good luck to all as we find our way x
Highlighted

I am due my first Chemo session on Monday - would like some wine on Sat night (like, 2 or 3 glasses), would this be okay? Had Sentinel Lymph node scan yesterday and portocath inserted. Feel rough today, but hoping to feel more 'with it' tomorrow. Good Luck to all. Joyce x
Highlighted

Hi Jems,
Had first FEC yesterday and can say it was not as bad as anticipated. Got back from hospital about 5 and even managed half a glass of red wine with my chicken pasta (how wise that is I dont know). I did have a glass of beetroot and apple juice as well (someone recommended the beetroot for constipation). I also drank lots of water before and after chemo. For ladies starting chemo soon, hope you feel as good as I do. Is this just a false feeling, does it wear off. Good luck today Sarah and Maggie. I wore mascara and even some sparkly eyeliner and wore my long hair down. I know it will fall out but just wanted to enjoy it while I have it.
Love and hugs to all the Jems, we will all get there together.
Lee X
Highlighted

Morning ladies... Day three of FEC 1 and feeling pretty ropey. Had whte blood cell injection last night and think it may be that as i was doing really well up until that.. Even went for a little walk yesterday. I knew i was going to hit a wall at some point and today is that day! Still i am able to type so shall keep trying to remember that the worse i feel the more good its doing!!
Christine sorry to hear youve had a sleepless night. ive not been given steroids so not facing that dilemma. I didnt sleep well last night but did get some sleep. Was going to get up and take some pain killers for the aches but just couldnt be bothered getting up so just tossed and turned until my little one woke us up this morning! Thankfully my OH who is my total saviour, got our son up and brought me everything i needed in bed, which is where i am now waiting for the weirdness to pass! I will be trying out the guiness though... Good tip!
Teal.. I cant really answer your question as haven't shaved mine off yet. When some of my headwear arrives next week hopefully we'll shave it off before it starts to fall out. I would prefer to do it on my own terms... even if the inevitable is only just around the corner!! How did you feel after you shaved it off?
Hugs to alll
Lynne xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi I had my 2nd FEC on 4th January and afterwards my hair was shedding loads, I had loads of bald patches appear so my husband shaved the lot off, since then it has been growing a little bit and am wondering if I should keep shaving it (it is only growing around the back) - Monk style! Also I notice a few spots on my head am thinking this is because I constantly wear a hat night and day, (I found it very hard being bald but also it is so cold). Thinking now I should let my hair get some fresh air so will go bald around the house hopefully now the spots will go! Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem thanks x
Highlighted

Just wanted to say to those of you waiting to start your chemo and are getting more worried about it all, I was just like you until it looked as though there was a danger for me that it wouldn't go ahead as planned. Then I REALLY worried!
Following my first FEC of FEC-T yesterday I spent the night wide awake because of the steroid tablets. When the district nurse came this morning for my injection she said to take the 'morning dose' early (7 ish) and the 'Lunch time dose' about 11.00 ish so as not to interfere with my night's sleep.
Sorry I was too late tonight to give my view on what to eat on the first day - so far from my perspective I am operating as normal.
With regard to the 'white cell and iron issue' a friend of mine who has just completed her chemo said that after being told she was 'border line with her blood results' on the first two rounds, she then took to having a pint of Guiness with black current (juice in first) for a 'Pink Guiness' to boost her iron on Day 10. After that her bloods were okay so I am giving it a go (I did this for the bloods taken for my first chemo cycle and the readings were good) Worth a try!
Best wishes all, Christine
Highlighted

Maggie, No you're not silly to wear mascara. I'm making a point to put full makeup on every day (don't normally wear much) especially on the days when I feel crap. Whatever makes you feel better is good.
The injections must be post code dependant as I asked about them and was told I wouldn't get any unless my white cells hit very low levels. But I wasn't offered the cold cap either as my onc says he doesn't think it's worth the extra discomfort as he hasn't seen any really reliable results, he says most of the ladies who've used it have lost their hair with FEC anyway. I hope for all you ladies trying it that he's wrong.
I had to phone the hospital help line today. I had awful pains in both legs and just couldn't stand still. The nurse on the phone was lovely, very mumsie and reassuring. She prescribed paracetemol but told me to make sure I took my temperature before taking it as it can mask any temp changes.
Hope you all sleep well tonight, sweet dreams
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Well here I go, I start chemo tomorrow and thankfully have picked up great tips from the lovely ladies on this site.
One very silly question in the scheme of things....do I dare to wear mascara through treatment 6 x fec.?
Said it was a silly question, because they might all fall out within 2 weeks, but if I was one of the lucky ones that didn't lose them, am I silly to wear it. Also trying cold cap to see if I can protect my hair.
Good luck to anyone starting soon
Maggie x
Highlighted

Hey Sarah
Just want to wish you good luck for tomorrow... I had my first FEC yesterday and im feeling good all things considered. You'll have taken a big step towards your recovery and i am sure you will feel better knowing the treatment has started! Mine too is precautionery but still I got nervous the night before... you will be fine! I think the build up and anticipation is worse than the actual thing itself!! Sending virtual hugs and strength... I will be thinking of you tomrrow... Stay strong and keep your little ones at the forefront of your mind and when you get scared remind yourself why you are doing it...
Hugs
Lynne xxxx
Highlighted

Hi, I haven't posted for a few weeks but I start the FEC of my Fec T + Herceptin tomorrow. I am starting to feel a little teary now as it's becoming all too real.
I know it's for the best but just feels odd going to hospital to make myself feel pants! All my cancer was removed by surgery so this is all precautionary to try and prevent recurrence.
Anyway I am trying the cold cap so am going to take a paracetamol beforehand and a blanket with me. Also a hat for afterwards because they slather your head in conditioner, pleasant!
My girls, 7 and 3, are both home poorly so I'm really hoping they are better for tomorrow, would hate not being able to look after them.
All the best to all.
Sarah
Highlighted

hi
think injections are post code lottery everyone in my area have them
jenny x
Highlighted

Hey Rhondacat
Sorry to hear you have headaches and sore scalp. It cant be nice seeing your hair fall out. You may feel better if you take control yourself and be brave and get it shaved off pronto. Im sure you will feel massively liberated that you made the choice before it made the choice for you. I plan to do mine next week, started FEC yesterday as i want to to be on my terms. Im quite looking forward to see what i look like au naturelle. Ive laughed with my dad, as I wear quite heavy set dark glasses and we think i may look like Harry Hill :-)... Its hard but im trying to stay upbeat as its just one of those things we just have to accept... Ive been looking for images of ladies with baldness to see what style of clothes work well... Not found so many but enjoying the prospect of spoiling myself with something new to compliment the new me... You should spoil yourself too 🙂
Good luck for tomorrow...let us know how you get on.
Lynne xxx
Highlighted

Hi Handc and jenny, thanks for the information about the wb cells injection. I am like you Handc, just one the day after each FEC but like you say its different for everyone. Sandra perhaps you already have a high white blood cell count prior to treatment which is why you dont need them. I got the letter about it after my first blood test with the oncol so i assume im low before i started. I thought t was going to make me feel ukky and having felt so good today wasnt looking forward to it but feelmmuch more relaxed about it now. Did you have pain relief for aches after it? Ive been given 1000mg paracetemol.
Handc i agree that eating little and often is definitely helping me so far. Its when you feel like least eating, ie when youve got the sea sickness ive found that is the best time to eat. It would be good to share our quick fix meal ideas as its not always easy to think what to eat but with an ideas list the you can just pick.
I can say for constipation what has always been a problem for me before BC so not looking forward to that but miso soup is a winner, every time. plus its extremely good for you as its a live culture. Here are some benefits below I didnt write these myself Bybthe way 🙂 just something ive copied from the miso website..
The 10 scientifically researched benefits of eating miso
1. Contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
2. Stimulates the secretion of digestive fluids in the stomach.
3. Restores beneficial probiotics to the intestines.
4. Aids on the digestion and assimilation of other foods in the intestines.
5. Is a good vegetable-quality source of B vitamins (especially B12).
6. Strengthens the quality of blood and lymph fluid.
7. Reduces risk for breast, prostate, lung and colon cancer
8. Protects against radiation due to dipilocolonic acid, an alkaloid that chelates heavy metals and discharges them from the body.
9. Strengthens the immune system and helps to lower LDL cholesterol
10. High in antioxidants that protects against free radicals.
There are many types you can get so if your not wanting to eat soya products you can get barley miso, brown rice miso and others. They taste a little bit like oxo and are lovely with egg noodles and the green stems off spring onion. Clearspring is a good make to try but all are good really. Its really easy to make just a teaspoon in a mug, add hot water and stir. If you fancy something easy they also do cuppa soups, but i can guarantee your constipation will be no more!
Hey Sarah well done for getting through the first week. Taxol is tough i believe but after tomorrow you'll have 2 under your belt So give yourself a big pat on the back and try spoil yourself. I will be thinking of you tomorrow, hope it goes well for you and sending virtual hugs.
Lynne xxx
Highlighted

Hi All, its day 14 since first FEC and my hair is falling out everywhere 😞 terrible headache & sore scalp! Think I will have to shave it off tomorrow!
Hope everyone is doing well! Hugs to all going through this too! xx
Highlighted

This is interesting... I havent been told about any injections?? hmmmm
Highlighted

Hi all, had an up and down week since my first Taxol last thurs. Some days better than others. Nurse could not get blood from my hickman line today but managed to get it from vein. Trouble is i know this will hurt later. Have to have anti biotics for some ukky spots that have developed, thank you chemo. Taxol x 2 tomorrow all being well.

Best wishes
Sarah66x

Highlighted

Interesting re white cell jabs.... I get just 1 approx 24 hours after chemo finishes, not 7
There are so many variations aren't there?
Highlighted

hi lynne
yes you have the injections for 7 days after each treatment ive had one yesterday and one today have not noticed any symtoms yet
jenny xx
Highlighted

LeeLaLoo - eat a liitle and often is what I was told
Also advised to eat something quite simple - I had a plain omelette I think
I haven't been sick at all, so hopefully you will be ok xx
Highlighted

Glad to see a few ladies doing OK with FEC.
I had first does last Wednesday and very limited nausea, no vomitting so pretty relieved.
Constipation has caused some problems, but in the grand scheme of things I can cope with that.
After 5 days the exhaustion set in but saw ONC yesterday and my white cell counts are way down low and so this is to be expected.
I had the white cell booster 24 hours after FEC too Rubydoo. No big deal and apparently my levels would be lower without it. I understand that I will have to have to have it each time (I'm not special, ONC says that is what they do)
Good luck gals x