71628members
375801posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Windysarah

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Thanks HelHel, nice to hear from you. I didn't need to bother with the antacid in the end. the heartburn lasted maybe 4 hours and went away. I'll know what to do now though if it comes back.
i have felt very light headed too, kind of spaced out. The oncology nurse rang today and said she had heard of this a few times.
When is your next session, I lose track of everybody. Mine is 7 Feb.
Big hugs to all, especially Rubydoo, hope you are ok.
X
HelHel

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Oh Caroline - brave girl! I bet you had a good old boo. Let it all go and bet you felt better.
Hope you got lots hats lined up for the big chill we are about to get.
You look great btw.
H
x

Caroline60

Hi all, I have uploaded my new shaved head on to my profile picture. My hair is starting to fall out - I did cry like a baby but know its necessary.

Regards

Caroline

hugs to all.
HelHel

Hi SarahN
Hope you get this but there are lots of new posts to trawl thru. Hope you got your antacid from GP. My surgery v v good. I can write a note and hand it over, or I can call and speak to the practise manager or triage or ask for a call back from a Doc to get any new meds.
I did get my omeprazole from hosp tho thru onco. and it seems to have worked. I can taste things and my appetite doesnt seem to be too bad.
I'm also jittery, and my hands have been trembling and I feel a bit light headed. I think someone had posted this might be effect from steroids. I've taken my last today, so hopefully that feeling will pass.
I know how you feel about thinking there are other lovely ladies going through worse. It's so nice that we are all here to support each other - listen to rants and raves - share positive news - join together for the less positive news.
Wishing you well for your next cocktail session - I'll have a strawberry daquiri!
For you and everyone else too - mahoosive hugs!
x

Sandra51

Hello January Jems

Well bad news for me today... it seems I just havent healed from surgery that happened on the 27th November!!... 3 infections later and consultant now says I have a hole in the wound... so more surgery and until that happens chemo has been rebooked for the 11th Feb now :-((... I really shouldnt moan as I went for my echocardiogram appt this morning and thought I would pop in and see my BCN who got the consultant to see me.. so no appt and was seen within 15 minutes!!... had pysched myself up for next Tuesday as well x
Morwenna

Courage! Tomorrow wil be..... My hair is also coming out in handfuls today, my scalp feels sore, and my head and eyes ache. Oh yes, I have a sore throat too!!! (no fever)

To cap it all we found a water leak in the basement in the small hours of this morning, so we have turned the water off, and hubby is on the phone to plumbers and insurance as we speak! Sigh.

My next treatment is not until next Wednesday. Bear in mind that it seems each one can go differently, some better, some not so good, so maybe it won't be as bad as you fear! Hugs to all of us going through this!
tomorrow_will_

Hi jems, no 2 tomorrow, I'm feeling really down and fed up.Hair is coming out all over the place now, feel a bit like a Jack Russell moulting all over the place.....cold cap may not have worked for me, will persevere this time and see how itgoes.
JJenny ive had a sore throat too ! I finished up in chemo unit on day 7, Dr insisted on bloods but thankfully came back okok. was told I'd done the right thing by oncologist. Chemo brain... yes can't remember anything , can't even cook a mealand get it on the table , no such thing as eating together any more ...
Really dreading tomorrow and new round of side effects.
Good luck jems. Write soon.
xxx
jenny5931

hi jems
im day 10 after 1st fec-t do you have to stay in for the next 4 days im not sure now what nurse said "chemo brain" feel ok apart from sore throat and mouth but have checked this out with nurses on unit no tepreture.
jenny xx
chicita

Good luck Lynne we'll all be thinking about XXX
Red Admiral, It's the steroids that were making you feel hyper. If you mention it before the next chemo they should be able to give you something different. The back of my hand went almost totally black too. You need some arnica cream to take the bruising away quickly, I used this http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-gb/uk/our-brands/nelsons-arnicare/about-products/arnicare-product-range/arnicare-cooling-gel/ You can buy it in Boots. It's also really good if you get the fidgety/achy legs SE.
X Yvonne
Red_Admiral

Good luck rubydoo you're in my thoughts xxx I'm on day 4 after first fec feeling not that great today. Yesterday I felt like I had taken some speed or something I was flying round the house cleaning everything with antibacterial wipes. I'm so paranoid about getting ill. Now im paying the price I finished the steriods yesterday and now feel absolutely shattered so I've decided to have a bed day today and just chill out an watch tv. At least I know the house is clean for now. My thoughts are with all of you at your different stages. Does anyone else have a really painful hand where the chemo went in, the back of my hand is bruised and is so blinking painful, I have to be really carefull drying my hands after washing as its agony. Take care all, much love xxx
rhondacat

Thinking of you Rubydoo & pray I everything is Ok it's normal to have the chest pain from the anxiety, I have Valium for such days, & take one before chemo just to relax me to go in, I don't need them often but it's good to have on hand for the rough days. ask for something, as it is too much to deal with.
Hugs Rhonda.
Morwenna

So sorry to hear you are having a tough time Lynne. I logged on to have a moan cos I was sitting here crying about my hair which has decided it is going to start coming out today after all!

Now I feel kinda foolish! I hope you are doing ok!!

For everyone else out there, NEVER be tempted to ignore a symptom like chest pain, or sudden onset of shortness of breath. DON'T wait to see if it will go away on its own. The consequences could be extremely serious! Don't hang about, take yourself directly to hospital.
Windysarah

Thinking of you Rubydoo x
tomorrow_will_

Good luck Rubydoo we are all thinking of you . Big hugs . God bless xxx
Airlinelady

Good Luck Rubydoo... stay calm and focused.. I know you must be worried, but we are all with you... Jx
Suesnow

Hi Jems
Just got my first FEC today and so far feeling ok thankfully. It's so good to read all your posts - just hoping everybody feels as well as they possibly can. Feeling for all of us going through this.
Big hugs to all
Sue xx
Rubydoo

One way ticket to hospital... Something has shown up in my bloods.. CT scan first thing!! Lets hope its just a runaway lentil from last nights dinner!! Thanks Yvonne I'm going to get started on that right away, chest feels like its imploding... Will you Keep your fingers crossed for me Jems, your support is such a lifeline at times like this... Big hugs and Love to all xxxx
Windysarah

Thanks chicita, you're a big help.
chicita

Hi Jems, hope you're all coping with the snow & keeping warm & cosy.
Airline Lady, if you can go to a Headstart session they sell false fringes which you attach to your hat with velcro. I bought one for £6 but don't know how that compares to shopping online.
Sarahnippress, you should be able to get a telephone consultation with your GP. Just tell the recptionist you're having chemo and don't want to catch anything from the waiting room.
Lynne, hope you're feeling better by now. I used to have terrible anxiety attacks, aren't they scarey? Have you tried deep breathing, it really helped me. I've cut & pasted some info below. I do this every night to relax & get to sleep quickly.
Deep Breathing Exercises
Feeling stressed out? Ready to relax? Try these great Deep Breathing Exercises. Sure to become an important part of your health and wellness routine. Easy to do before bedtime (lying down) to promote better sleep, or before public speaking (sitting up).
Step 1. Adjust your posture. Sit up straight. Don't arch your back.
Step 2. Exhale through your mouth. Make sure you exhale completely.
Step 3. Place hands on stomach, above waist area. Keep hands in place to guide breathing.
Step 4. Inhale slowly through your nose, pushing hands out with your stomach. Hold breath for two (2) to five (5) seconds, or whatever you can manage.
Step 5. Exhale slowly, through mouth, feeling your hands move on your stomach. Make sure you get all the air out during this slow exhale.
Step 6. Repeat several times, until you feel relaxed and calm.
X Yvonne
Leelaloo

Oh Lynne,

You poor thing, you certainly dont need this extra stress and worry right now on tope of everything. Everything crossed it is not a blood clot and you get good news. Big gentle hug to you.
Love
Lee X
Rubydoo

Hi Jems
Well back from the Dr's after being sent for immediate blood test.. Hope Dr is being overly cautious and just ruling out , 'a pulmonary embolism' !!!! I told him about the out of the blue panic attack i had and he didnt offer any meds for easing the anxiety which after you have been told you may have a blood clot on your lungs, would have been really useful. Been lay down since trying to remain calm as breathing is becoming very difficult as anxiety is increasing as the day progresses! Apparently a blood clot can happen after surgery and is not uncommon ive been told. it is apparently relatively easy to treat but its just another thing on top of everything else we have to cope with. Im feeling close to chucking myself in a skip. I will get results by end of day, so praying for a course of antibiotics for infection or some anti anxiety meds and preferably not a one way ticket to hospital for lung scans and more anxiety! Whichever it is i just dont want my chemo to be delayed. Just when you think you are doing ok eh.... Bam... Back down you go! I hate this effing disease its just so relentless! 😞 xx
Leelaloo

Hi Jems,
Havent posted on here for a while but have kept reading the posts. I am on day 8 after first FEC. I think that I have been sooooo lucky with SE after reading what other jems have been through. I was given Emend to take an hour before first chemo and then for two days afterwards as well as Domperidone and Dexamethasone. I took the third steriod tablet no later than 3.00 and I never had any problems with sleeping. I cant really say I have had any too bad SE and have not really felt very sick. My second FEC is on 6 February and I hope that I get the Emend again as I think that this is the key for no nausea. My hair is still intact, am really dreading it falling out. Im not really sure when I should get it cut short. I just wondered if any other Jems had invasive lobular cancer as that is what I have (Grade 3).
Take care all you lovely brave Jems.
Big hugs
LeeX
tomorrow_will_

Hi jems
actually slept last night...hooray!
I think I got off lightly first fec compared to some of you brave ladies.Hope this doesn't mean 2nd one will be a bad one. Hair still coming out and hurts but have stopped crying for the time being.
My nerves are playing me up and considering going to see dr. Would that be my gp or chemo dr?
Friday willcome and go and then number 2 will be ticked off...4 more then.
Ive got really forgetful...my answer to eveything is ....I dont remember...and I really dont.
Jems love to you all .Each and every one of you. Sorry I haven't named people ....I don't remember!!!
xxx Pat xxx
rhondacat

Hi all Gems, Rubydoo I hope you are feeling much better, thanks yes I'm home feeling so much better this 2nd round, first round we are guinea pigs, the Dr doesn't really know how your body will react to it! So 2nd round I have been so much better, higher dose of Dexamethasone and Nexium for the terrible burning stomach & heartburn, I am not a zombie this time, feeling good a little fatigue but no nausea at all. well done Airlinelady sounds like your 1st round has gone well! Pat I locked myself in the bathroom & cried lots too when I first looked in the mirror and seen my bald head, i am starting to accept what is, but still not happy with it, I am wearing my wig daily now everyone says it looks good! At home just wearing a beanie type cap. Good luck Suziepuzie with your treatment next week.
you are all in my thoughts, sorry for not mentioning all but know i am thinking of all the Gems on here.We are all very brave women & we will get through this crap time. Cheers Rhonda
suziepuzie

Hello just to say I think I may be a January Jem as hopefully starting chemo Monday or Tuesday next week. Went for my pre-chemo session today but my groshong line installation was booked in for the day after first session of chemo! so just waiting for the oncology nurse to confirm installation date and my chemo date! Good luck to you all though.
tomorrow_will_

Hi jems,
well 2nd fec on Friday nerves have set in and haven't slept for 2nights. Have had all sorts of side effects including scabs up nose, ulcers in eyes, blurred vision and now ive got haemoroids lovely. Hair started to come out yesterday and i must admit icried all day. Will carry on with cold cap but dont have much faith in it. Hope im wrong.
Good luck to all you lovely ladies.
Pat xxx
Rubydoo

Hey Airlinelady... I. Sorry i missed you from my message... I started typing probably about 2 hours ago before your message came through... Well done for getting through your first chemo. you sound like you're managing really well... Long may it last! I found eating little and often fought of the nausea and ate quite a lot. Keep that glass of wine in your sights, its well worth the wait!!
Hope you sleep well tonight.
Lynne xx
Rubydoo

Good evening Jems...
I hope you are all well whatever stage you are at in your treatments... Onegirl welcome to the the Jems i am sorry you have to join us but be reassured we are one mighty posse of determined ladies and we will support you whenever you need... I have had a lot of support from our group and never feel alone knowing there is always someone here I can rant to.
For all those Jems who haven't signed in for a while... Welcome back! Sarah and Morwenna more and more TN amongst us Jems. It seems there may be more of us TN in the Jems than not! Quite a strange coincidence... But also quite comforting that no one needs to feel in a minority in our group. Morwenna I have also had a few chest problems with my first FEC, intermittent pains that may be an infection after surgery, feels a bit sore like an infection so off to see DR for my weekly paranoia visit tomorrow... Ive never been so hung up on my ailments before its quite annoying that BC makes you so much more aware of EVERY ache and pain. I also had a little panic attack over the weekend which is totally not surprising, but it did come as a surprise at the time as I dont feel anxious so I suppose chest pain could be anxiety... Oh the joys of feeling like my body is a bag of rusty old nuts and bolts which quite frankly I feel like chucking in the skip 🙂
Helhel, Red Admiral and Onegirl I hope all your treatments went ok yesterday and youre all resting well with not too many side effects... sending big virtual hugs. I hope the days ahead run quickly and you're soon out of the foggy toxic cloud xx
Yvonne I live by Mont Blanc up in the mountains... Its beautiful and very snowy at the moment. Sometimes i have to pinch myself to remind me that i actually live here! We found ourselves here by chance when we were travelling and that was 3 years ago. As beautiful as it is I do feel quite out on a limb at times and miss home and family very much, especially now I have my son and also since ive been Dx... Still I would never grumble as I do feel blessed to have had this opportunity.
Rhondacat I hope you're relaxing at home and are recovering well with your family looking after you. Im really pleased you managed to have the next treatment on time... Another one down!
Well my wig has finally arrived... I had to order off the internet so it was a bit of a wild card. I went for long like my usual style but with a fringe so as not too see wig line... I haven't named her yet Im still just staring at her on the stand and waiting for inspiration! Its very nice, real hair, the extra long fringe needs trimming above my nose haha... but mostly it looks great with my beanie so as its so cold here until April/May I can get away with my hat so im relatively ok with it. My bandana's also arrived frm Annabandana and they're quite nice. Easy to put on and soft material so would recommend them as they are relatively cheap. Ive also found another site, http://www.randrconfidence.co.uk/Lua_-_Corsage_Chiffon.html and they have some lovely, pretty designs for headwear so check them out if you haven't already. They are a little more expensive but very feminine and not the run of the mill designs. Im definitely going to treat myself to at least one reallly stylish head wear. I have to admit Ive shed a few tears the last few days thinking about the head shaving at the weekend... Im sure i'll be fine and the thought of it is a lot worse than the actual doing... I hope!?!
Ok so I waffle on too much every time I come on here... Its just so lovely to be able to chat with people who do understand!
Bedtime is calling... sleep tight Jems
Lynne xxx
Janan8

Hi Jan Jems
Just received hats etc from www.hats4heads.co.uk & annabandana and I'm really thrilled with them - makes the thought of losing your hair more bearable. However clumps coming out as I tried them on.
Helhel hope you're still doing ok - I was told to expect 30% hairloss in the first cycle even with the cold cap but then it reduces, so it should get better for you.
I'm also on omeprazole which really helps and was told beforehand it was a good idea to help with the side effects of the steroids.
Sarahnippress - I was told by my GP to do everything over the phone as far as poss and haven't had any probs with getting repeat prescriptions or new drugs etc.
I'm in for round 2 tomorrow - please please let them give me some different anti -sickness drugs this time!
Good luck everyone
Janxx
Airlinelady

Ding! Ding! Round one......Well I had my first chemo yesterday and stayed overnight, slept on and off, woke up and felt like crap, but ever since I got home today, I have felt very good, eaten well and almost, best of all my bowels have been brilliant. I have focused extremely closely on eating and drinking things that make you go 'ooh'... Looking forward to a glass of wine in a couple of days and getting a close cropped hair style in a few days. Declined the cold cap. Keep on trucking ladies, maybe the steroids I have been given has made me feel okay and maybe I will have more highs and lows, but I have found this site invaluable for friendly information and tips and some of you have really made me laugh! I had an idea about buying a false 'fringe' and sewing it into a hat, I know they sell them online, but they are a bit pricey.. Good Luck Girls! Jx
Red_Admiral

Hi onegirl I think I replied to you last week, I'm 38 and are having 4 Fec, 4 docetaxil and herceptin and tamoxifen. I had my first yesterday too. After my fear of them not finding a vein, I was right and so now they have definitely said I can have a PICC line fitted before next session. We managed to get a vein second time round but it wasn't very good so took ages to administer. I was violently sick last night and was awake for ages. Thankfully today that's settled down I feel very strange but certainly no sickness feeling anymore. I'm just wide awake!!! My hospital gave me a big bag of meds which was great, the omeprazole they have said I will have to take throughout treatment, I have domperidone for sickness and ondansetron, dexamethasone steroids to take for 3 days and laxative pills. I was very pleased that it was already prepared and so far so good. Fingers crossed this will be manageable. Hope everyone else is doing ok and staying strong. I have to soldier on as its just my son and i so I need to be looking after him, so far I feel tired but still managing to get his meals for him. Hugs to all xxx
onegirlinabigw

Hi everyone!
I posted on here on Sunday but I don't think it worked for some reason.
I had my first chemo yesterday. FEC-T treatment and I'm using the cold cap. The cold cap really hurt the crown of my head about 45minutes in. I took some painkillers and it settled down again. I was feeling queasy when I got home yesterday but I'm feeling pretty much OK today. Been out for a lovely pub lunch with my hubby and I'm not just waiting for the district nurse to come out and give me that injection to boost my bone marrow.
I had a right skin saving mastecomny with an LD reconstruction on 11th December. I had 17 lymph nodes out and 5 had cancer so I'll be having radiotherapy after the chemo. I'll also be having herceptin and tamoxifen so I've got a bit to go yet before I can get back to "normality".
Turned 29 on Friday and this all came as a big surprise as I've got no family history of breast cancer. My hubby, family & friends and being so supportive so I know I can get through everything that is happening at the moment.
Windysarah

Thanks Yvonne. What's the procedure with gettin drugs, do you have to see the GP or can you just call and ask? Don't reckon I would get an appointment any time soon!
chicita

Hi Sarahnippress,
The heartburn is easily cured. Ask your GP for Omeprazole 20mg capsules. You only take one a day & it stopped my heartburn straight away.
X Yvonne
Windysarah

Well done with the cold cap HelHel. I think thinning is expected isn't it and the nurse will have good experience of what is a lot and not a lot.
I have a really giddy feeling today, a mildly drunk feeling. Does anyone else experience this? Also terrible heartburn this morning with belches. Do you think this is acid stomach that you mention HelHel?
I thought I'd been doing well so far, really didn't want to turn for the worst 😞 although I know others have had it a lot harder so will not complain.
sarah66

hi all i am TN too. This is my second trip down this road. Had 6 X FEC in 2008, WLE & Rads. Now having Taxol weekly for 12 weeks and Avastin also. Due 3rd one this thurs. Have recurrance and ? small secondary on lung? as we did not biopsy as too close to heart valves so presume and treat as spread. Have two children 11 & 16 and work for the NHS mental health nurse. Currently on sick at present.

Tried the cold cap and really wanted to do it having lost my hair before but decided that doing it weekly was just too much!. Got some nasty spots and ended up with antibiotics the first week , have some wobbly days, taste has gone and mouth and tongue is a little sore, need strong flavours!.

Trying to sort out a wig at momment ? how long the hair will last , i know it was gone by the 3rd FEC previously .
Got a lady from Macmillan seeing me on fri to see if there are any benefits i can claim as my pay will reduce to half soon so that will be a struggle!!! can but try .

Best wishes to all xx
Sarah66

Morwenna

(cont)
All in all, I feel pre-tty good about things, though I was a little wobbly towards the end of the first week, at the thought of having to do this over and over, but mainly cos I didnt know if/when the nausea would ease. My main complaints now are rather sore tongue, bad taste in my mouth which is somewhat affecting what/how I eat. NOTHING tastes good to drink. I struggle with sufficient hydration, but as others have said, this is do-able.

Onward sister Jems!!!
Morwenna

Well hello everybody! I haven't really been on here much since my first chemo on Jan 9th, and I just had about 140 new posts to trawl through!

Well Lynne, I'm also in the triple negative club! Yey us!! Is anybody else having AC, or are you all on FEC??

I got Dexamethasone (steroid) and Emend and also Ondansetron all for three days, plus another anti-sickness med, Metoclopramide to take as needed. Here in Canada we have to pay for the SE drugs, so cost was not a barrier as far as prescribing goes, and my insurance pays most of it, thankfully!

So really the first few days were fairly well controlled, and it was the next few days I almost felt more miserable. In all, I feel the nausea lasted a good week. I have also been slightly breathless on exertion, and have a tendency to overdo things one day and feel wiped the next! I am trying to walk every day, and went snowshoeing the first weekend! I have had sciatic pain ever since, and even had an ultrasound to rule out dvt! I'm ok with it being sciatica though. I can cope with that, and it is improving. Last Saturday I even performed in a musical show with my singing group!!

Hair-wise, no sign of moulting yet, but I got a buzz cut just before starting treatment. Two friends took me to choose a wig last Friday, which was fun, and this morning I found I could pull my leg hairs out with no resistance using just my fingers. Hey maybe my head hair WON'T start falling out in two days time as expected ..... just my legs!!! 🙂
rhondacat

Hi all, my cell count came good, and I got my 2nd FEC in hospital, Dr changed some of my meds so hopefully won't be so whacked out this time. 4 hours after chemo I felt 100 yrs old, feeling better this morning just fatigued. I hope Red Admiral you have gone well with your first and side effects are not to bad! Yvonne my scalp was also sensitive and tingling a few days before it started to come out, when it was coming out in bigger chunks I just got my daughter to shave it off and then it felt much better, even though this is a very emotional thing for us girls, the next day it hit me when I looked in the mirror I did have a good bawl. I'm home today from hospital YAY
Sending hugs To everyone on here just so many of us here to mention names but you are all in my thoughts.
Blessing to all love Rhonda xoxo
HelHel

Hi Sarah & Yvonne
Thank you both for your comments and help.
Went in today with my mind (nearly made up) not to continue with cold cap. BCN said my thinning wasnt bad by her experience and thought I might benefit from giving it another go - so I did. She also said the shedding should slow down now too.
Flipping hope so, coz washed my hair prior to chemo and coz I was being so gentle I create a matted mass of shedded hair that I had to get DP to tease out for me. Completely blocked the plug hole. Arrgghhhhh!
Cold cap wasnt so bad today - took some paracetamol in advance and was mentally prepared for it. Passed the 10 minute mark and settled down. Chin strap annoying tho! Not tingling but sensitive scalp where its thinning most.
Taste buds arrived back last week, only to make a sharp exit in the next few days. I've been given something to address the acid stomach - maybe that will help? Will wait and see, but sticking to bland basic and small meals as and when I fancy.
I'm not near a HeadStart centre. Checked today, Maggies in Oxford is my nearest but still 45 mins away. Not up to long journeys. I did order some pre tied scarves from Hats4heads and a couple of night bonnets from Ebay earlier today, just in case....
Have been vegging out on the sofa since I got home, and feeling tired now, so off to bed soon.
Good luck Sarah for the 7th and to you Yvonne - although not sure where you are on treatment.
(Please please please nausea witch - dont visit me tonight!)
Tired hugs to you both
H
x

chicita

HelHel,
Have a look at this site http://www.suburbanturban.co.uk/
They have some lovely hats. I tried several styles on at the Headstart dept at my hospital and was spoilt for choice. I particularly liked "Selina". They're a bit more expensive than scarves and bandanas but would be great for work.
Good luck with C2.
Was your scalp tingling before your hair started shedding? Mine's doing that especially at night but no shedding as yet.
X Yvonne
Windysarah

Sorry to hear you are losing your hair even with cold cap Helhel. I am using the cap too and it was pretty tough for 4 hours. Let me know if you do try again. I have my 2nd FEC on 7/2/13.
I have lost my taste buds
HelHel

Hi Jems
Its the night before 2nd cycle. Butterflies are starting. Wonder when I should take my Senakot? Think I left it a tad late first time round.
Athough I'm having cold cap, in the last few days I have seen so much hair loss. I am being gentle with it, but standing over the loo, and running my palms over hair, I can fill the bowl! I'm thinking of jacking cold cap and going for the buzz cut. I cant stand picking up my hairs from every surface in the house.
Any recommedations on scarves/head coverings etc? I'm not fussed about getting a wig. I will be sad to say goodbye to my hair though.
Only a few people at work know what's going on with me, but I guess no hair will be a big advertisement.
Good luck to anyone else having their cocktail tomorrow.
Be thinking of you all
Hugs
H
x

Red_Admiral

Good luck onegirl, I'm starting tomorrow too, 1pm slot. Here's hoping I get one last good nights sleep. Good luck to all of us starting tomorrow. Hugs to all xx
Janan8

Hi January Jems!
Well I haven't been able to log on since before I started Chemo on 3rd Jan and I've just caught up with all your posts - I can't believe there are so many of us but hang on in there! It's been really good to read how everyone is getting on and I'm sorry that it's been a rough ride so far for quite a few of us. Rhondacat - I hope you are on the mend again by now, what a shock that must have been for you! Thank you to everyone who's been through this and posted as well, I'm going to look up all the info later but it's good to know you can get through.
I think the 15% for TN is on its way up too as I am also TN and waiting for genetic testing, but will face that when the time comes. So I had my 1st FEC on 3rd Jan and if you're starting this week, the anticipation is definitely worse than having the chemo administered. It was fairly straightforward and relatively quick. However the nausea started to kick in about 4pm and despite taking the anti-sickness tabs, by 7.30 I was being sick, that just got worse until eventually at midnight my husband was at the hospital collecting Buccastem which thankfully stopped it dead. They did warn me about sickness as I had bad pregnancy sickness all the way through but this was much more violent. Then I had a reaction to one of the drugs I was given and the nausea just continued until Day 10. I seemed to be on a hotline to the hospital for the 1st week and just felt so dreadful, couldn't eat much. But then at day 10 the nausea stopped and although my tongue felt like sandpaper and mouth was sore and the tiredness is definitely getting worse, I can cope with all that as long as I'm not being sick. Apparently I will be getting different meds next time - I think Emend was mentioned - is that in tablet form to take away? I think I'm having something an hour before chemo as well next time round - I hope so because I can't do this again if the sickness carries on. It's the main reason I didn't have any more children, mind you 3 is probably enough!
I couldn't bear the smell or taste of alcohol for the first couple of weeks, I'm glad to say I can now so am enjoying the odd glass of wine although was a bit worried my liver already has enough work to do, but it does help to feel more normal. It's interesting there's such a variation in getting injections. I had injections for 5 days from the Mon following chemo and it was fine. First night I had incredible pain going through arms and back and into my head overnight which I put down to the injection but I didn't have it again so perhaps not.
Well done to those of you trying the cold cap. I couldn't face it and my hair has just started falling out yesterday, although only a small amount so far. I have a friend who has used the cold cap through 4 cycles and it's worked really well for her so if you can bear it, I think it is worth it. I'm waiting for a bit more to fall out before I shave it all off but I agree that it's probably better to take charge, I think it will be too distressing to let it go too gradually. I'm going back in for a wig fitting at the hosp before my next chemo on Weds but I've also found alot of stuff online which I hope you might find helpful if you haven't got anything yet.
www.mynewhair.org has lots of info and a link to wig suppliers.
I looked at Banbury Postiche and they have a sale on until 31st Jan and a really good selection, which worked out cheaper than the NHS prescrition.
I've also ordered stuff from www.annabandana.co.uk and they have a great selection at really good prices. I was pleased with the quality. Finally have just got some hats from www.hats4heads.co.uk they haven't arrived yet but look good on the website and much more reasonably priced than some others.
I'm not looking forward to losing my hair, I had it cut short before Christmas having always had long hair but love the new style. However I've decided it's the one part I can have fun with and my children aren't looking forward to having a bald mum so hopefully it will help them too.
Love to you all and good luck if you're having chemo this week.
Love Janxxx
chicita

Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone starting FEC tomorrow the best of luck. It won't be as bad as you've been imagining, honest.
I'm now 9 days after the first dose and my main complaint is that my taste buds seem to have died. I can taste strong foods like curry but not much else & I LOVE my food. It's making cooking a bit awkward too as I have to get husband to taste everything to make sure I'm not over seasoning it. I can't even taste the strong coffee I need first thing in the morning to make me human. I hope this passes soon but if that's the worst SE the chemo throws at me then I can cope & will think myself very lucky.

Which part of France do you live in Lynne? We used to holiday there every year when the kids were little and are planning a holiday for later this year, once I've finished the chemo & rads.
Bye for now, am off to finish cooking the Sunday roast, let's hope I can taste it!
X Yvonne
Suesnow

By the way - is anyone on the anti nausea drug Emend? it's supposed to be the best but the NHS doesn't want to give it out as it's more expensive! I asked my onc for it and he told me that I would be able to get it if i was really sick and the usual anti sickness drugs didn't work.
Suesnow

Good luck for tomorrow Onegirl - I hope it all goes well for you. I'm starting mine on Wed and although I'm dreading it, it waiting for it is terrible too.
Rubydoo that's great news that you're up and about, gives us some hope that it's not all doom and gloom. I've been trying to make the most of my last weekend of freedom for a while, out for a nice walk in the forest with the dog and finally getting to see The Hobbit tonight! i was in having surgery when it was released and then my OH took a bad flu and was left with a perforated ear drum, so heading out now at last.
Night ladies xx
Rubydoo

Day 6 after first FEC and im feeling good! I even took myself out shopping this morning, the first time in quite a long time and it felt amazing. Almost like im back to normal and it had all been just a nasty nightmare... The reality is still there but it felt great to be out and independent again! After shopping we all went for a nice walk and then we came home to make our first snowman for our little boy... All in all... A lovely Sunday!
Hope everyone else has had a little sunshine this weekend?
For those starting/having treament this week.... big hugs.. I hope it goes well for you!
Enjoy your Sunday evening Jems 🙂
Lynne xxx
onegirlinabigw

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad that I've found this forum!

I'm starting chemo tomorrow. I was diagnosed in November and had a right skin saving mastecomy on 11th December with an LD reconstrution. I also had my lymph nodes removed. My tumour was 2.4cms, stage 1 with pre-cancerous cells on the outside and my margins were clear. 17 nodes were removed and 5 were cancerous.

I'll be on the FEC-T chemo followed by radiotherapy, herceptin and tamoxifen (those probably aren't spelt right). I'm going to be giving the cold cap a go but have a wig ready in case too much hair comes out. I also have a portacath in my chest on the left side. I'm getting some ph neutral shampoo tomorrow (most likely Simple stuff) and have got some ginger things in the house already - tea and ginger to eat etc.

I'm in the hospital at 9:30 tomorrow morning. Getting quite worried but I'll just see how it goes.