71.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

rhondacat

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Hello to everyone here, 2 more days of feeling good, second last round on Tuesday! then I can say Wooohooo 1 to go....then crack open the Moët (when I feel good.)....Sarah I live in a small coastal tourist town in Western Australia. Hope everyone is coping with all the dreaded SE .I also have on dark nail polish & will be wearing the frozen gloves again this week, bad enough no hair, but please don't take my nails too! My eyelashes are now gone, eyebrows just hanging in.
Hugs Rhonda
Windysarah

Re: Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Man, today was tough! Funny head, funny coating in mouth and achy legs. Stayed in bed most of day which I hate with two young girls. Feel a bit better now, legs not so bad. Hope it's different tomorrow.
really hope you other gals are feeling ok.
Get the dark nail varnish on your hands and feet, apparently it helps not to have the sunlight hit the nail beds. God knows why.
Where are we all from anyway, thought it might be nice to say. I know we are a global group, I am from Sudbury in Suffolk!
Sarah x
peagreen

Hi everyone,
Sarah - I have had extremely flushed cheeks on some evenings (always evenings) with both FEC and now with Taxotere too.It feels uncomfortable, I look like a over-excited chipmunk, but it is bearable and it does pass. It's been worse in week 2 after treatment. Still can't quite believe how foul these powerful drugs can be but cling firmly to the hope that the ends definitely justify the means.
And if I feel bad from time to time, I check into Cybele's Blog - not only do I count my blessings but lose myself for a bit in her world - she sure can write! Her talent shines out from the page - I'm just sorry that she has to invest it in such miserable times . An extraordinary woman.
Good luck to all of us January debutantes - the end is in sight. Just two more sessions for me and for most of you too.
Yippeee!
Peagreen
rhondacat

Hi Jenny, in Australia they are prescription only, they are an anti - inflammatory I swear by them, great for any joint pain, there may be other types on the market. Only after 1 tablet I could feel the difference the next morning I took them for 2 days and all pain was gone! I do hope you get some relief. All these SE are crap! Love Rhonda xx
Irenee

Another week gone by and this time only one visit to hosp. and one visit to dr's. Just long for the days when I can go on holiday....(sigh)
Irenee

Sorry to read some of us 'Jems' are having pains...sorry Lee that your treatment is delayed..I'm sure you will be ok next time...I had my first good day in ages yesterday..I mean I actually had energy and did washing housework, cooking..but today it's snowing and I feel like laying in bed all day...xxxx
jenny5931

Hi
is CELEBREX an over the counter drug my pains are bad having a job to get out of bed had pains for 2 days now i wish it would go sorry to winge ive mananaged ok up to now .
jenny x
rhondacat

Hi to all Jems, after my Tax I had the bone pain but it was gone in 2 days I took a anti-inflammatory tablet for a couple days, not sure if this what stopped the pain or if it was only going to last that long, but I'm ready for this Tuesday for 2nd last round of poison, so will take CELEBREX (anti inflammatory med) the day before see if it happens again,will keep you posted if this works, also my fingernails were very tender! no hot Flushes Sarah. Love Rhonda not far to go now! xoxo
Windysarah

Has anyone had hot flushes to the face after Tax?
Caroline60

Hi Jenny, I took co codamol last night to ensure I did not have the pains. I slept well. My oncol - advised me the bone pain might start from day 3. Iv tried to manage this as best I can. I will do the same tonight.

Caroline xx
jenny5931

Hi
Hows everyone getting on with tax i have bad leg and bone pains feeling really low no sleeplast night hope it passes soon.
jenny x
Windysarah

Sorry you have been delayed Lee but as you say they know best. Still feel ok from yesterday a bit funny in the head but what's new there!
I persevered with cold cap after speaking with oncologist and I'm pleased I did. It is still falling out but as you can see I still have a coverage. Cold cap was horrible yesterday though and I nearly gave in. Only two more to go.
Love your pic Gay x
GBC

Last post made me realise I too still had hair in my photo - so here's me in my syrup. Actually it's not too far off the haircut I had a fortnight before starting chemo and I'll probably stay short in the future as everyone seems to like it. Met a lady last week who is six months on from finishing treatment and her hair was still VERY short so it looks as if we all need to be happy with a stylish cropped look to go with our Christmas party outfits! New earrings called for I think. Love to all.
Gay x
Leelaloo

Hi jems,
Glad you okay Sarah, pizza sounds delicious. No they didnt do the chemo yesterday because infection is still luking. It has been put off until next Wednesday 27. Oh well they know best. Hope you okay with tax and get minimum SE's. Love your picture but how come you still have hair. I thought you had stopped using cold cap?
Lee X
loveisthedrug

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments about my poem and glad you like my name GBC hope everyone is in a good place today and hugs to all
Windysarah

All done. Did you get yours done Leelaloo? Feel ok at mo. unfortunately no fish n chips tonight but do have pizza so equally greasy and bad for me!
good luck with SE's everyone.
Leelaloo

Morning Jems,
What a lovely poem Flutterby, it certainly makes me think of Summer and cant wait to have me back. Keep the lovely poems coming. Well done Caroline on first Tax, hope you get minimal side effects. Good luck today to Sarah on your first Tax (and there was someone else was it you Irenee who is today as well). Sarah get fish n chips at the ready. Good luck Gay for next week. Wont it be lovely to have this all over with, I am so wrapped up with this cancer I think I have become very selfish it is very hard not to talk about it all the time and my poor OH must be sick of me going on. We were supposed to go to Lake District for a long cancer free weekend last Friday but was in hospital so couldnt go. On the plus side the hotel has kindly agreed to keep our booking open for 3 months so hopefully will make it up there soon.
Lee X
Irenee

Wonderful poem....this crappy C thiing is with me all the time...and like Rhonda says it will be so nice to get back to our old selfs again. xxx
rhondacat

Beautiful Poem flutterbybutterfly, I love it! It certainly will be nice to have our old selfs back & feel normal again! Xoxo & try to forget about that terrible C word.
Cheers Rhonda xx
GBC

Fantastic! What an absolutely perfect poem for right now. Well done to the beautifully named Flutterbybutterly.
Gx
loveisthedrug

Beautiful daffodils making me smile
My feathery friends come feed for a while
The sun is emitting a good healthy glow
And at this time no sign of snow
Spring is my favourite time of the year
The hope of new life makes gloom disappear
Can’t wait for the summer and all that it brings
Laughter and smiles and summery things
I’m going to look forward to having me back
To no more of this tiredness
And feeling like crap
I hope that my thoughts will not be of Big C
And then I’ll be able to shout I AM ME!
Caroline60

Hi Ladys 1st Tax done. I am still upbeat. I am also working from home - which is a god send as it keeping my mind actice and helps me to not think about the treatments. I am a complimentry therapy advocate and having reflexology, head massage and hypnotherapy. This has helped with the steriod induced cravings and helps with the toxicity.
Hugs to all. Keep well.
Morwenna

Oh Hi Sophie!

I have had four times AC chemo and will start my 12 weekly Paclitaxel in a couple of weeks. I was starting to think I was the only one not on the FEC-T regime!

When do you start Taxol? Let me know how you get on?

Rose xox
Guest user
Not applicable

EC x 1 Day 18
Hi Gay - I am a fellow Nordic walker - though not many hills in Richmond Park! - It is a fab form of excercise and really social too!
Good luck with the next stage of treatment - I go on to 12 x Taxol/Paclitaxel after 4 x EC ..... All the best Sophie x
rhondacat

Hi Gay, TAX isn't really much different, after the first week I was feeling OK and worked everyday, I'm have my 2 nd on 26th march then I can say woohoo only one left! This week I feel totally normal too & enjoying life! Good luck with your first next week, glad your getting out in the fresh air & enjoying your walks. Hugs to all Rhonda x
GBC

Hope everyone is doing OK and that all our first time tax-ers are coping with new drug and SEs. For anyone popping in to January Jems posts who perhaps haven't started chemo yet I want to be really positive and encouraging and say that for me this chemo lark is "do-able".
I'm Day 14 after 3rd FEC and feeling really good. Actually I would go as far as to say completely normal. I've just got back from a hilly Nordic walk (you know those silly looking people striding out with walking poles) and now planning to go on longer, tougher walk on Thursday as it felt so good. I know that after next treatment (1st Tax on 27 March) I'll get all the horrible toxic, wired, woozy, menopausal flushes feelings back and not be quite so chipper, but I feel really lucky to have 10 really good days out of the 21 so far and that keeps me going. I really hope everyone else gets the same amount of up days as me and that they continue with the Taxotere. Watch this space!
Thinking of you all. Gay x
Caroline60

Dear all, iv just had my 1st herceptin today. Will be having 1st Tax tomorrow. Im ever hopeful the side effects are less than i had on FEC. Im exausted thinking about it. But i know it will be no 4 of six chemo..

Caroline x
Windysarah

Good for you Jenny, well done.
I asked nurse about not being given steroids and apparently I will have IV steroids half hour before Tax starts.
All the best to everyone starting again this week. I'm weds.
Sarah
jenny5931

Hi
Just back from first tax it was ok dont know what se yet will post when i do but no reaction to it and oh and me had a nice late lunch after treatment and a lovely spritzer.
jenny
rhondacat

Thanks Lee, I have 5 adorable grandkids that keep me smiling every day, I was scared also of changing from FEC new side effects To worry about, had sore ankles on day 3 & sore fingernail beds but went away after taking a anti-inflammatory tab for 2 days! SE SE not really worse just diff, have 2nd round next Tuesday ATM I feel good. good luck for Wed, it will be OK love heaps Rhonda xxx
Leelaloo

PS Love your picture Rhonda, grandaughter looks adorable. Lee X
Leelaloo

Morning Jems,
I have just read the all the posts from Jems (Rhonda, Peagreen and KG) who have had their first tax cyle and the SE's sound horrible. Is it worse than FEC? I should be having first Tax on Wednesday if bloods okay. Had injection in stomach in hospital on Thursday as bloods were bit low. I am now very scared (which I know is silly after what we have all been through), I gues it is just the unknown again.
Take care all Jems.
Lee X
peagreen

Have followed the January thread but have not contributed bar one opinion on constipation - I was always a classy old bird! My three FEC cycles were practically S/E free and I felt unblievably lucky if a little anxious (was it working?). Have been cold-capping and still have (thinner) hair which is now well into Crusty mode as was advised by a nurse to leave it alone as much as poss - no washing, and minimum brushing. Somehow natural oils come into play and I wear it up in a clip and try to persuade myself into believing that it's not too bad. When things are going well it feels almost smug to dwell on it when others are suffering such awful side effects even though the whole thing is a roulette wheel of hit and miss.
But chickens like to come home to roost and mine are now well perched as Taxotere takes its toll. Ist cycle was last Monday and I was fine for 3 days then felt as if I had been run over by a steam roller. Am now weak as a kitten, ache all over and the mouth is so dry and sore and tastes of ashes. Stomach cramps and queasiness too. Sleep is patchy and temper is vile - feel so cross that I have finally succumbed which is ridiculous I know. Also find that the OH makes me feel guilty for being ill. He doesn't intend to - it's just me being over sensitive again. Do any of you find this? Ginger beer is helping (not the guilt feelings!) but am holding off the Tramadol as it causes constipation and I've had quite enough of that for one lifetime! Oh and I had the steroids the day before treatment too - was told it was to help ward of allergic reactions.
Am so full of admiration for anyone going through this toxic hell and for coping with it so well. This thread has been amazingly helpful and reassuring for me and I have learnt so much. Thank you all for being out there.

Peagreen
rhondacat

New profile pic when i was in hospital, with my adorable granddaughter Sabine! She went out in sympathy & wore a headscarf LOL I'm wearing a fringe bang & cap, my home look when not wearing the wig! Cheers Rhonda thought I'd put a face to a name 🙂
rhondacat

Hi, Lee sorry you have been in hospital on IV I spent a week on IV after first FEC . Hope your bloods are ok for Wed. We don't want delays just want this crap over with.welcome back KG I had bad ankle pain & sore fingernails on day 3 after TAX (docetaxol) I just took a anti-inflammatory CELEBREX for 2 days & pain is gone, I will be prepared for the next one now! Sarah & anyone else starting Tax it's the go double steroids, I think because there is more chance to get a allergic reaction from it, my first one they put in over 3 hours, the next 2 they said it would be quicker like 1 hour seeing I tolerated it OK. Today is day 12 & I'm feeling really quite good.Thanks Gay my thrush cleared after a couple of day's with Nilstat Drops. When I had my Masectomy I had a skin expander put in, only one more lot of 50ml of saline to go in this week & I've grown a new nice D cup Booby 🙂 it is looking good, dont think I will worry about a nipple as that is extra surgery later on, 6 weeks after chemo they will replace this hard uncomfortable expander with a gel implant & lift my old boob up to match! YAY all over, except the 5 yrs on Femara, not looking forward to that as I've read a lot of bad reviews on it. Then a few weeks later a holiday in BALI...HOPE everyone that's starting TAX have minimal SE. Stay strong I know it's damn tough, I still have tearfull days. Love hugs blessings to all. Cheers too with a glas of wine. Rhonda xoxo
jenny5931

Hi
Yes ive got steroids to take day before tax double the old dose as well dont know why
jenny x
GBC

Hi girls - sorry I have been in Derbyshire visiting my mother-in-law and didn't manage to post anything via my i-phone. And now I have forgotten what I wanted to say! Actually the worst SE this time (3rd FEC) seems to be chemo brain. I really have felt in a fog and when I went to the Look Good Feel Better on Tuesday I was not sure I should have been let loose in London as I even struggled to cross the road! So glad I went though and highly recommend to everyone. I loved the make-up advice and the goody bag of products and it was so lovely to meet the other girls (all ages from 30 to 70 I think). We didn't discuss our diagnosis or treatment or even what type of cancer but had a bit of a laugh about hair loss and wrinkles and felt very relaxed and comfortable taking off hats and wigs to do our own makeover. Highly recommended Chicita if you can book for another one.
Sorry to hear all about your SEs on Tax Rhondacat, mouth thrush sounds horrid, try and keep your chin up (not sure that will help the symptoms though!!!)
Jenny hope you are not worring too much about Tax on Monday. Good luck. Do let us know how it all goes. I spoke to BC nurse on Wednesday when I eventually got my real false breast (as oppose to the kapok-stuffed softie) and she said Tax shouldn't be worse than FEC just different. I guess its having just got used to what FEC throws at us we have to go into the unknown with a whole load of different SEs and drugs.
I am sorry to hear how hard some of you are finding the chemo, I'm in a good patch at the moment (day 11 after poison pumping) so rather like childbirth I have forgotten the pain of the first week or so and I'm feeling really positive and excited about getting to the end of treatment. Then it suddenly hits me that there is still quite a long way to go. I have also definitely decided to go for tummy tuck/left breast reconstruction operation as soon as I can. BCN said best outcome is when operation is about a year after end of treatment so summer 2014 is the date I am aiming for. Is anyone else thinking about reconstruction?
Sorry if I ramble on, I don't seem to have the hang of short, snappy posts. I'm going to try it though. Watch this space!
love Gay x
Windysarah

A lot of people seem to have had steroids to take for the day before Tax. Is this the same for all of you as it wasn't mentioned for me??
KG0

Hey guys, I've not posted since my original post before starting in Jan but have been reading. Saw the thread was a bit quiet so thought I'd chip in! I've just had my 4th chemo (1st tax) and am excited to only have 2 more to go. Feeling a bit rough with the massive steroid highs & crashes of Tax but that will hopefully pass tomorrow once I stop the steroids. How have you guys found the pains on Tax & what meds have you taken? Any other SEs to be aware of? Thanks & hope you're all doing ok x
Irenee

Sorry to hear you have been so poorly Lee xx .....sending hugs to you and everyone. It does seem like we have all hit a rough patch and my heart goes out to you ladies who have had to go hospital etc. It is a crap journey we are on so let's hold hands and keep going xxxx
Leelaloo

Morning Jems,
Hope everyone okay as it is very quiet. Good luck for monday jenny. I have been in hospital as my temperature went up to 38.9 and felt very unwell. I had to have lung xray and it seems have infection. I have been on constant IV antibiotics. Let out yesterday afternoon on parole (yippee). The antibiotics really hurt my arm and it is red and swollen where the cannular (dont know how to spell it) was. Dont know whether will be able to be poisoned on Wednesday will have to wait for bloods on Tuesday. The things we have to put up with. Anyway hope all Jems are okay and have good weekend.
Lee X
Leelaloo

PS Irenee hope you feel better today. FEC 3 has been worst for me too.
Lee X
Irenee

Hi everyone...sending hugs and best wishes to all. I am finding it very hard today, no energy..lack of sleep and the hairloss really getting me down. The diistrict nurse came in to clean my line today which saves me a long journey to the hosp. This 3rd round FEC has hit me hard...Love to all and keep going ..We will get there. xxxx
Windysarah

Hi, I'm still here too! Not much news except I've just had my first bloods taken from port, that was fine. Seeing onc in a few minutes. Going to ask her about recurrence probabilities as that's been in my mind the last few days. I want to know if my being HER2 positive makes me more susceptible.
I have had a good week but not looking forward to first Tax on Weds. Then herceptin on Thursday. Blurgh.
X
rhondacat

Hi Jenny I'm still here yes everyone is quiet, Good luck with your TAX I had the same but diff name, it is called Docetaxol but same thing, there are diff side effects, but I think lethargy & wooziness isn't quite as bad! My fingernails really ached after 3 days and got sore ankles but took some anti-inflammatory tabs & that fixed it! My lashes are almost gone too, eyebrows are clinging on, I was teary this morning noticing no more lashes, I really hate this hairloss. Please let this be all over I!ve had enough now.Its been a nightmare for 5 months now mentally I can't take too much more.
Hugs everyone come back & tell us how your doing. love Rhonda xoxo
jenny5931

Hi All
Where is everyone im quite worried as this seemed an active forum when it started and now two days without a post is everyone ok?.
I start tax on monday am nervous as its the unknown again no more can i say FEC FEC FEC.
my eyebrows and lashs are going now and i find this worse then losing my hair.
keep posting
jenny x
rhondacat

Hi To Everyone, Sorry Morweena you are having so many problems, as if the crappy SE of Chemo isn't enough, hoping all works out good for you! I have to have Femara for 5 yes after chemo , this is for women post-Menapause, Tamoxifen is for pre-Menapause! Gone GOTH painted my fingernails black, to try to keep them, they were painful from day 3, for 3 days after Docetaxol. day 6 today feel a lot better not as weary, mouth feels very dry and metallic realised I've got mouth thrush, yay I'm determined to experience every SE possible! Hope everyone else here is doing OK.
Love heaps Rhonda xoxo
jenny5931

Hi Morwenna
I understand now mines ER so thats why im not getting it hope all goes well for you tomorrow
jenny x
Morwenna

I was booked on a look good feel better workshop last Tuesday, but missed it as I was at the hospital, having my Deep Vein Thrombosis diagnosed.

I have just rebooked for April 9, so fingers crossed.

My onc told me today she wants a CT scan to rule out pulmonary embolism (clot in lung), and she is threatening to have my port removed as this is a risk factor also for dvt.

Well the bloody thing didn't even work properly last round, so we'll see what happens tomorrow with AC4, my last, thank goodness!! After that I still have to have 12 infusions of Paclitaxel (Taxol), so I'd still like to be able to use the port if we can!
Morwenna

Hi Jenny,

The pathology/histology reports after surgery and/or biopsy should have given you a positive or negative status regarding Estrogen and Progesterone receptors in the tumour cells, and also a thing called HER_2 (ummm Human Epidermal Growth Hormone Receptors ... or something like that).

If your HER_2 status is positive it means the tumour will respond to Herceptin, which is given in conjunction with the normal chemo FEC-T or whatever, but carries on for a year, as far as I aware. If your tumour is ER/PR positive then it will respond to Tamoxifen, but I think that treatment is for 5 years!

Those of us who are "triple negative" have tumours which don't respond to either of the above treatments, which is why I am a little cloudy on the details!! But our tumours are usually strongly responsive to chemo drugs, so that's the route we go!