69087members
362921posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Highlighted

Welcome to everyone starting chemo in January.. we are now the "" January Jems""

Didnt think I would be posting in this section of the site.... had good news though... no spread to the lymph nodes :-)) ...it seems due to it being a high Grade 3 Im to start on chemo first... then Rads.. then Herceptin....dont think I took it all in to be honest... this part has always scared me as i associate it with Ca.. daft I know.. but loosing all family members to Ca.. it just scares me....so I think I will be dealing with it one day at a time... i should hear next week from my onc... get the ball rolling... any advice, tips, wigs etc would be grateful... thanks ladies xxx
1,243 REPLIES 1,243
Highlighted

Thanks Yvonne - it's good to know I'm not the only one who can't find her libido... and you know, I do give myself a break, having to go through chemo, but I do wonder and worry that I will ever find it again... it must be out there somewhere! My husband is adorable and helps me feel attractive and confident, but I would like to show him how much I love him... we used to be at it all the time... I don't expect to invent the Karma Sutra now, but just to have painless loving would be a start... I guess we will find our way forward... thanks again.... Joyce xx
Highlighted

Hi Joyce, I'd just finished the menopause when I found my lump. Its TN so not hormone related. Ive used Sensilube for years, I'm not sure who makes it but you can buy it in supermarkets. The BC has definitely brought us closer together but our sex life at the moment is non-existent. I'm just too breathless to even contemplate it but it's on the list of things to do once chemo is finished hope this helps
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Hi Ladies, hope you don't mind me posting on your thread but I may be able to offer some suggestions with regard to Joyce's "problem". At a recent BCC Life after Breast Cancer Course we were advised by a BC nurse that if we were ER+ and on hormone therapy then oestrogen rings or creams were not advised. I had used these creams in the past but obviously no more.
Have you tried the Yes range of moisturisers/lubricants? They are organic, so no nasty parabens, and I have found them to be very good (I tried Replens a few years ago and didn't like it at all). Their website is www.YesYesYes.org.
Hope this is of some help with a very common but little discussed problem.
Pat
Highlighted

Hi Ladies, Sorry Iv not been on here. I am soo tired but have tried to do something every day. Its day 13 after final chemo. My head is telling me to do things but my body will not let me. I sat with the fund raisers for South East London Breast Cancer Trust yesterday. The public respose was brilliant.
Highlighted

Ladies, this might be a difficult question, but it is something I have had on my mind for a couple of months now. My cancer was a result of hormonal changes (menopause) according to my Breast Consultant. I know many of you younger ladies have had a 'forced menopause' and that you have probably have had to deal with those side-effects almost instantly when you started chemo. Therefore any therapy with hormones e.g. HRT have to be ruled out completely.
Now that we are nearing the end, some of us will have to take anti-hormone meds long term. Now my problem is accepting that my libido has almost completely gone and will probably stay gone during the years that I am on the meds and also even trying to be loving for the sake of my husband is difficult because of discomfort (dryness). Now I have used Replens... which has not been that great. The ones that appear to really help do have a small level of hormones e.g. Estring (a ring which you insert and retain for 3 months) but have seen on the Internet that the amount of hormone is so small that it might not be harmful to us?
I'm not sure if this subject will be of interest to you and maybe I should consider putting this matter elsewhere on this website. I also apologise if anyone feels offended or uncomfortable with anything that I have written.
My husband and I have a wonderful relationship and everything we have been through recently has actually brought us even closer mentally. However, I miss the physical loving side of our relationship and will do all I can to get it back when I am through the poison. I would be interested in your thoughts. Joyce xx
Highlighted

Lovely to hear from you again Jan. Treatment has dragged on for a few of us, I've still got 2 left even though I was one of the first of our group to start. Hopefully you'll soon be feeling more like your old self.
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Hi All, firstly Morwenna glad you are starting to feel a little better Physically & mentally, it's been a hard road we have all travelled, some worse than others, also happy your feeling a lot better too Joyce, the teary eyes lasted with me for about a month after chemo finished, also feel for anyone going through chemo, as we now know how crap it really is. Congrats Irenee on your last one, this is a relief. Had my last trip to the ONC & surgeon this week, neither want to see me now for 1 yr. I should be jumping for joy, but it's hard to get over all that has happened. Jan so sorry you have been having such a tough time, but at least the chemo is over with, hopefully the SE get better for you. My boobs are still quite tender & a bit uncomfortable, making it hard to sleep, but time will heal this. I am happy with the result achieved with my implant & lift even though still a little bruised & swollen, my daughter thinks they look a bit too Perky LOL my hubby thinks they look good considering what I've been through. What to do now, life after treatment, no more appts to keep track of or travelling, as It was a 4 hr round trip for all my appts. I have a wedding to look forward to next weekend, even though I hate going to things like this where some people havent seen me in a while, I still feel very consious of wearing a wig, or (dead raccoon) as I call it. Oh well after a few champers I won't stress over this LOL... I started to use my FAST shampoo & Cond this week, will let you know if I think it's working, its meant to grow hair 1 inch a month, willing to try anything, I still have old man fuzz on my head 😞 love to you all. Rhonda xoxo
Highlighted

Hi Jems
I have been following your posts but haven't posted myself for ages as the chemo caught up with me too and I couldn't handle much anymore. Side effects totally got to me and ended up having blood transfusions to boost me back up. Still I've finished chemo now, had no. 8 last week and whilst that was a relief, I feel as if my world has fallen apart since. Don't know if it 's just the build up of it all since the begnning of Jan, hormones or what but I can't wait til I get through the next few weeks and side effects fade a bit. Starting radiotherapy end of this month.
Gay - in answer to your question from yonks ago, yes I am at the RBH and they have been really fab. couldn't have wished for better treatment.
Thinking of you all and hoping for better times ahead for us all as we stagger to the end of this stage in our lives.
Janxx
Highlighted

Thanks both :- )
That photo is mercifully fuzzy, taken with my phone. I took quite a few before I had one I was happy with. How vain is that?!! 😉

I second partying. I've got my appt for next week's chemo, so I guess everything's ok to go ahead. Feeling reasonably cheerful but a bit lazy today. It's really warm outdoors. Debating on joining the "community walk" this afternoon. We walk for about an hour at a fair pace. Not sure I can be bothered with it, but I didn't do any exercise yesterday, so I probably should try at least! 😉

PS. I've had various rashes to hands and face on taxane too Joyce. I wondered if it was a Sun reaction so I got some spf 60 facial sunscreen. Hasn't happened again, but maybe just coincidence, who knows?
Highlighted

Good advice Joyce...I sorta partied this afternoon..well ok then.. a gentle tea dance..but I really enjoyed it and the wig stayed in place. Glad you have cheered up Morwenna...I burnt my hand on mx/anc side and was very worried but so far it is ok.
Had my line taken out on Weds...so for time being I am free of treatment. I am getting stronger and hope I can find the old me again...although this time I'm not going to get so stressed ,,, and take lots of time to rest.
Good luck to all of you on the Tax treatment and those having rads...journeys end is in sight. Enjoy holidays if you are going on them. You made me laugh Chicita about the 'Fester bros'. Take care everyone. Irenee
Highlighted

Glad you are feeling better Morwenna. I have to say that you look really good in your photo. I had hair down to my waist when I was diagnosed and had NEVER had even a short hairstyle. I do accept my baldness, my head and face shape is not as nice as yours but I feel comfortable and confident in my own skin. one neighbour who didn't know I was ill thought I had shaved my head 'for fashion'.. that made me smile...
This third taxotere has been much kinder than the last two, not sure why. I have developed sore, teary, puffy eyes this time and have bright red rashes on my cheekbones, but apart from that I feel okay really.
I feel so much better now that I am coming to the end of this horrible road - one more to go. I have never felt so ill in my life and I will always have empathy for anyone embarking on this journey.
Take care all you Ladies out there and don't party too hard this weekend - actually, sod it, party as hard as you want to, just take care of yourself, be kind to yourself and enjoy the little things in life - whatever they may be... Joyce xx
Highlighted

Here's another one to stow away on a canal boat to France!

I'm feeling way better now. Tummy has settled down and I got some zip back! It's weird, if I feel unwell physically, my mental status goes all to pot, and everything looks dire and black. Now I'm feeling better in my body my mood is much improved too!

I've been pottering in the garden, tidying up stuff, and yesterday some unknown minibeast has bitten me on the wrist on my Mx/ANC side, which is a bit of a concern, as my wrist and hand is quite swollen now! This is not an unusual reaction for me, but a concern re developing lymphedema of course. I've taken oral antihistamines, and applied a steroid ointment and antibiotic ointment, and I'm dithering about what to do about it. Of course it is the weekend coming up so if it does develop cellulitis and need antibiotics I'll be stuck! 😞

Oh goodie! Another thing to worry about! The stupid robin btw is sitting on the OTHER nest today. She is really starting to annoy me! 😞
Highlighted

Hi Chicita, you are very welcome to join the June Jewels for some company during the rest of your treatment. Just a thought! Xx
Highlighted

Love your new photo Rose. It's been so hot here the past few days I've been going commando inside the boat. Still can't pluck up enough courage to go out like that though. Husband went to the barber's this morning and came back having had a no2 all over. This was after me jokingly telling him he was starting to look like his dad, who had the worst comb-over you ever saw. We now look like the uncle fester twins
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Gay - any chance of being a stow-away? That sounds wonderful. We plan on taking our boat to France and stay over there for a couple of years.
Sarah - have a wonderful time, have a couple of sangrias for me
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Hey all! I'm en route to the airport for a week in Spain!
Wishing you all the best in the time I'm gone xx
Highlighted

Oh so sorry Yvonne that your chemo is dragging on and on. Try and keep positive and as cheerful as one can be when having poison pumped into you regularly.
Had my first rads today. Easy peasy compared to chemo but 5 wks of 2hr round trip each day and wearing a high-neck top for 7 wks to avoid any sun on chest and sternum area. Hey go - still easier than chemo!
just arranged to spend a week on my sister's Dutch barge cruising gently to Macon area in France as soon as rads finish in July. Can't wait.
Still got watery eyes, aches in leg muscles and dodgy toe nails but beginning to see light at end of tunnel and have arranged to have eyebrow tattoos in 2 wks. Now really need to put myself back together after all this BC treatment. Oh yes I have started training for 400kms cycle ride in Cuba in October to raise money for Women V Cancer charities inc Breast Cancer Care. I have raised £4000 so far with my daughter. Fingers crossed I'm fit enough. Gay x
Highlighted

Hello ladies,
Chemo postponed again as neuts too low. Only one out of six has gone to plan and I'm now almost two months behind the rest of you.
I hope you are all OK although there are very few still posting here. How many of you have started/finished rads? Any tips?
x Yvonne
Highlighted

Hi
back from first rads, it was ok it only lasts about a minute each position so 2 minutes the rest of time is positioning you on table.
the traveling must be the hardest bit if its a long way to the hospital.
jenny xx
Highlighted

I'm going to a look good feel better session this afternoon. I don't feel too good but I'm not cancelling it, the waiting list is about 3 months and I've already had to cancel an earlier session.
Hope everyone is ok. Glad your onc was sympathetic Rose, you'll feel better after the ultrasound
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Sending a gentle hug to you Morwenna...it must be very hard having to wait for appointments again...but look on the bright side it surely is highly unlikely to be anything sinister. Don't worry about treatment being delayed the important thing is your health. Have you tried anti-depressants? I couldn't have got through without mine.
Take time out for you and have lots of nice treats. Love Irenee xx
Highlighted

Hi all the Jems.
Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement. I don't feel anybody else really understands what's going on.

My oncologist totally got it though. She could feel my lumpiness, and while she obviously thinks it will be due to fibrocystic changes, she has agreed that I should have an ultrasound to make sure.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, she also feels my current side effects are unacceptable, and so she has cancelled this week's treatment, and ordered a stool sample to rule out c.diff infection, sorry - TMI??

While it'll be nice to have a week to recover for a while, I'm kinda bummed at delaying the END of all this.

Now I must wait patiently for my various appointments to come through.

Oh she has also spoken with my dentist and persuaded him I'm not fit to undergo dental work at this point! LOL. He didn't believe me, I was surprised to hear, and tried to persuade me that drilling out a 35 yr old filling and repairing the broken tooth wasn't "THAT invasive!" 🙂
Highlighted

Hi Gay, if you just google FAST by NISIM Shampoo & Conditioner you will find heaps of sights on it & where to buy, it's worth a go!
Thanks Lee for your kind words, but when you have your own business you feel obligated to be open no matter how you feel. The Docetaxel really got to me on the last round, with terrible bone aches swollen ankles and legs, fluid retention, but this has settled down now, I still have a little bit of bone pain, but now don't know if this is left over from Chemo or the hormone drug Femara I'm on for 5 years??.. My eyes are jot as watery now either, hopefully this bloody poison is getting out of me. Love & hugs Rhonda
Highlighted

Hi Jems,
Hope everything went okay for you today Morwenna, winging positive thoughts your way. Chemo every week must be tiring and hard to deal with (big hugs), as you can see we are all thinking of you. Yvonne good luck for Friday and then only one to go. Rhonda you are an inspiration, op Monday and back at work Friday, certainly one strong lady. I started rads today, it went okay but for some reason I felt really panicky about it. I have developed peripheral neuropathy in my feet and they are swollen along with ankles and legs. The onc said today that it is from the taxotere and hopefully will improve. Has anyone else got this, it is really painful and hard to wear shoes. Anyway I shouldnt moan as some on here have it a lot worse. Take care Jems and as Sarah says stay strong.
Love Lee
Highlighted

My thoughts are with you Morwenna and I hope like all the other ladies that everything goes well for you. xxx
My son in laws aunt has flown over from the States and she is 83. She has had a very bad year losing a husband and son within months of each other. We thought she was very brave to travel alone but she said it was well worth it.
My computor has been playing up 😞 hope this manages to get through.
keep on keeping on girls xxx
Highlighted

Well said Gay, Rhonda, Yvonne and Joyce before me. i can't really say much more Morwenna but just hope you're feeling brighter today. I too would try and make the trip if it was me. An 8 hour flight will feel like nothing compared to the joy of seeing your family, I'm sure.

Keep strong everyone x
Highlighted

Morwenna we are all thinking of you and totally understand. Really hope you can find the energy/strength to visit your family as I'm sure you will benefit from being with people who love you and will be so happy to be with you. I think we are all absolutely fed up to the back teeth having to tell everybody how we are feeling all the time (and making light of it all!) let alone actually coping with it all physically. Stay strong - you have been such a support to so many people. Everything crossed for the lump question mark over things? I thought I had one in my chest wall but Onc said it was part of damaged pectoral muscle. Still worrying slightly though.
On the hair side of things I bumped into my wig lady (who sorts out wigs, hair cuts etc. on a voluntary basis at our hospital for all cancer patients) and she has advised that I shave the current crop of bum fluff off my head allowing the stronger hair to grow through. So I think we'll do that this week (hard as it will be to say goodbye to what is a a rather pathetic hairy smattering on my head but it's all I've got at the moment). I would definitely fall for the sales blurb for growing hair faster - where did you get the FAST stuff Rhonda? Going to ring the eyebrow tatoo lady too this week as I can't stand drawing them on any longer.
Five weeks rads start on Wednesday which I am actually looking forward to as it feels as if it takes me another step closer to the end of another stage of the BC journey.
Love to all you wonderful girls and thank you for being who you are and being there for everyone on this thread. You have been part of a great team that none of us really wanted to be picked for!?!!?
Gay x
Highlighted

Thanks Morwenna, I felt so sad reading your post, come on girl your a fighter, you can do this not long now, I'm feeling positive for you about you thinking you feel a lump, how can any cancer have a chance to grow, we are barely alive ourselves let alone cancer survive.. I think you should go back to the UK too, be with your family. My hair too is definitely old man hair, used to be blonde, now it's dare I say Grey white Brown.... Ordered some shampoo & Cond. today called FAST guaranteed to grow hair 1 inch a month, haha yes I'm gullible & willing to try anything. Yay for you Joyce 1 chemo to go and surgery coming soon, what are you having? Expander?? & Why one at a time, can't you have them done together? Sorry Yvonne your back in hospital that seroma is a bitch I had it for such a long time, and all the draining has left me with painfull knotted & corded tissue damage in my underarm. Hope you can have FEC on Fri. I know that we have all put on a brave face through this nightmare, but we know we are falling apart inside, none of us let on how we are really feeling, and do people want to hear the truth of how we are honestly doing, we don't want to scare them. No one unless they have been down the Masectomy Chemo road would understand how traumatic all the SE are! You hang in there Morwenna you are beautiful & strong & you can kick this Cancers Ass. We are all with you. Love & hugs everyone Rhonda xoxo
Highlighted

Morwenna you've always been so upbeat and inspiring so it's no wonder you're feeling a bit down now you've found another lump. I don't know about you but I'm sick of people telling me how strong I've been and how well I'm coping. That's only the brave face we put on for others! If I were you I'd do as Joyce said and come visit your parents and let them give you some much needed TLC. It might be a long flight but the break and change of scenery will do you good and you've also got the reassurance that the NHS is here if you need it.
I'm back at the hospital in the morning to get another seroma drained and then it's FEC no7 on Friday providing bloods are OK
Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure that with so much chemo poison in your system no new tumours would stand a chance of developing.
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Oh Morwenna, stay focused.. you are getting there. I guess your weekly Tax is catching up with you with the layering of SE's. I had my third Taxotere last Thursday and am getting into a roll of pain and tiredness now and all the other things you describe, but if I can get through the next 5 days, I will be okay and with one more session to go in 3 weeks, I feel like I can really do this. From all you have said in your posts, you have been one of the most active, pro-active, positive and upbeat members of the gang here. I wish I could send you some strength after all the encouragement you have given to others.
Personally, I think you should fly when you are feeling up to it. The flight will be around 7.5 hrs - 8 hrs? You could take some meds and try to sleep. Atleast you will be with family when you arrive and the NHS will always look after you if you need anything. Think of all the lovely Brit food ythat you can catch up on!! I used to live in the US on the East and West Coasts and know what it's like to be an Expat missing home. I wish I could visit as I have some wonderful friends there who are like family, but I don't think my insurance would cover me at the moment.
If you are flying BA out of Heathrow, then pm me and I will do what I can to help you get a good seat. I don't know anyone at Air Canada though!!
Rhonda Girl, you are amazing - I too hope to have perky boobs again - one at a time! My surgery will be 4 weeks after my last chemo and then rads after that.
Love to all, Joyce xx
Highlighted

Glad everything went well Rhonda. You sound like you're doing amazingly well!

Jenny, I start my radiation on July 15, so let us know how it goes. I don't know who else is doing it, but I figure you might be the first! I have quite a lot of "old man's" white hair on my head, but scalp still clearly visible. I think I glared at somebody yesterday who remarked "I do like your hair!" 😉

I have three more weeks of chemo, and I'm not doing so well now. Upset tummy, bordering diarrhea since last Tuesday, feeling very tired and quite wobbly at times, my nails are painful, and my toes/feet are quite numb/tingly. I had a tooth fall apart last Monday, just to complete my joy, and on Thursday I decided I had a new lump or lumps in my right breast!

I'm still stressing at the thought of trying to fly back to the UK between chemo and rads, although my parents say they quite understand, and they think its be better if I wait until I feel well and strong enough.

Beam me up, Scotty. I'm not sure I can take much more of this!
Highlighted

Glad to help Irenee, I definitely had to have a lift in my good boob it looked ridiculous also, one sitting straight out & the other hanging very low LOL I am recovering well thankyou, it was only a bit sore first couple of days, but now it's 6 days past surgery, a little uncomfortable but not painfull.
I'm a perky boob Gran :-)How's everyone else doing? Love checking up on you all here! xoxo
Highlighted

Thanks Rhonda...Your info. has helped a lot. I know I will need them both doing as I am so lopsided it is ridiculous. My surgeon said he would do it for me but he wanted me to have my treatment first. I think I am going to go for it
Wishing you a speedy recovery and well done for going back to work. Love and hugs Ireneexxx
Highlighted

Hi Irenee, when I had the Masectomy in left breast back in November the surgeon put in place a temporary skin expander in place, which I have been having pumped up every 3 or 4 weeks with saline until it stretched the skin to the size roughly that I wanted as before just a little smaller, which is now about a 34 C/D cup. The expander has been quite uncomfortable all these months but well worth it, the operation was about 2 hours to replace the left one with a gel implant, and I had a breast lift on the right ( my good boob ) to make it a bit more perky & give them some symmetry, it would have looked funny one old saggy one & the other upright LOL... They are still heavily bandaged so haven't seen the final look, the bandages and strapping come off next Friday, can't wait to check them out! kino don't expect them to look wonderful, but better than nothing as its not like going and getting a boob job! It is a long process but I think for me it will be well worth it in the long run! I have a swimwear & fashion boutique and love wearing bathers & fashion clothing, so could not see myself living without a breast! But understand that some of you may not want to go down this path, I have a friend that had a double masectomy & chose to have nothing done! The after surgery is not that bad, uncomfortable but not much pain, I think I'm hardened up to pain as I have been in it for months now, mentally & physically, I say be brave & go for it. If you want to know any more just ask, happy to share my experience...Surgery was on Monday I'm back at work today Friday...Hugs Rhonda xx
Highlighted

I hope I am brave enough to have a reconstruction Rhonda...Can I ask how long the operation took? and did you have both of them done? Know how you feel about the hair Jenny ...mine is white fuzz and I asked the district nurse about it and she said just be patient it will come back to normal. My eyeborow and eyelids are very sparse and I just look ill.
Hope you are all doing as best as can be xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi
Has anyone started rads yet? i start next week and not looking orward to it. Im feeling down fed up of it all, still feel tired and listless.
Hows things on the hair front i can feel hair if i run my hands over legs eyelids etc but not see it yet on my head is white fuzz yuck im fed up of looking like this.
jenny xx
Highlighted

Thanks Irenee, last Chemo really knocked me around too, it took at least 5 weeks to feel a bit better, still have aching bones, my eyes have finally stopped tearing up. Glad you are starting to feel stronger, I think this will take us all a while to get over, it doesn't just come good when Chemo finishes. Joyce we will all win this battle, and your last chemo will be here before you know it! Look forward to hearing that all us Jems are all finished with this dreadfull poison. Hang in there, love & hugs Rhonda xoxo
Highlighted

Sorry to hear you have been in hosp. Caroline. Hope you are feeling better now. A holiday will do you good. Glad all went well Rhonda. Well done Joyce for insisting on an echo-gram. Nice to know all is well.
I am now fifteen days from last chemo and I am feeling stronger. (Chemo No. 6 knocked me for six...so tired). Looking fwd. to holiday with OH who has been brilliant through all this turmoil.
Like Joyce says we will win this fight...we have to. x
Highlighted

Thanks Sarah, Yvonne, Morwenna & all for your well wishes, back home now taking a couple of days off from work, recovering from my op, had quite a bit of pain yesterday, but not as bad today, can't really see what he's done to me as I'm heavily bandaged up, and these don't come off for 10 days, so will have to be patient & wait, but I can feel the re-construction one is soft now, not like the hard coconut that sat there for the last 7 months, anything has to be better than that! I do hope you are all OK. Love to all of you. Rhonda x
Highlighted

I insisted on an echo-gram, had one today and my heart and liver are strong... to be honest I was worried after being beaten up so badly by Taxotere (paxlitel)... but now I feel like a Lioness... I have two more chemos to go. It might not be pretty but I WILL win this fight.. I have to.. we all have to...hugs and kisses to all of you... Joyce xx
Highlighted

I insisted on an echo-gram, had one today and my heart and liver are strong... to be honest I was worried after being beaten up so badly by Taxotere (paxlitel)... but now I feel like a Lioness... I have two more chemos to go. It might not be pretty but I WILL win this fight.. I have to.. we all have to...hugs and kisses to all of you... Joyce xx
Highlighted

Just to explain, my name has changed to windysarah from Nippress as the moderators didn't like me using my name.
Hope all is well with you all.
Highlighted

Thanks Sarah, appreciated. I want to book a break away for my husbands birthday plus we really need a break from this journey. I have had enough emotionally and physically.

Hope all is well with everyone.
Highlighted

I did write a longer post but its not been posted. Basically, for Caroline, Freedom Insure did the job for me re travel insurance. They specialise in people with medical conditions. You can get quotes online x
Highlighted

We're all thinking of you tomorrow Rhonda! Hope all goes well with your op!!

I'm still hemming and ha-ing about traveling to the UK between chemo and rads. I just know that I'll be traveling at the weekend after my last treatment, and that is the worst time for me. I just know I'm going to burst into tears every time I see anyone who hasn't seen me since this started, which is everyone in the UK - all of my family and friends. Much as I want to see them all, especially Mum and Dad, the very thought makes me feel emotional!

Everyone's going to want to "celebrate" the end of chemo, but its not like we are looking forward to something pleasant to happen, its just that something god-awful is going to stop! and I know we won't automatically feel "fine" once we're done, just exhausted and beaten to a crisp! (Am I mixing my metaphors? Never mind)

Like you Yvonne, if I have a day that isn't unmitigatedly awful, then it is a "good" day. My hubby drove me out to a lovely garden centre in the country, and the sun was warm, and the flowers were gorgeous, and we had a yummy lunch and drove home. Now I'm bushed! But it was a good day, and that's what counts!

Wishing all of you more good days than bad ones!!! xxx
Highlighted

Caroline, sorry to hear you've had a tough time.
Re travel insurance I used Freedom, they specialise in people with medical conditions and mine was relatively cheap. £90 odd For a week in Spain. The web address is www.freedominsure.co.uk and you can get quotes online.
Hope this helps,
sarah
Highlighted

Rhonda - good luck for tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you
Gay - nice to see you back. Take it easy and build your strength up again slowly. My BCN told me not to expect miracles as the SE's ,especially the fatigue, are going to hang around for a few months. Can't wait till my chemo is finished. I still have another 2 FEC to go. Haven't discussed rads with the onc yet but I'm not 100% that I want them, might keep them in reserve in case the BC Beastie comes back.
We've been to the pub this afternoon, sat in the sun in the beer garden. It was lovely to get out. I've been a bit house (boat) bound this past week as the weather has been so dreadful.
X Yvonne
Highlighted

Hi Caroline,

I can't help with the insurance, but I wanted to commiserate over your having been in hospitalized, and struggling with the Paclitaxel.

I have had eight now, and really beginning to feel it, with some tingling/numbness in feet more than hands, and fatigue increasing, especially in days 3-5. That doesn't leave many "good" days in the week. I think my last four will be the hardest and I'm really struggling with the thought that I might not be fit for a 9 hour flight "home" in day 3 after my final treatment.

I feel so weak and feeble these days, I'm an emotional wreck and cannot decide on the simplest things. I waste so much time just sitting about!
Highlighted

Hi ladies have not been on for a while. Have been in and out of hospital, I was very ill to say the least. My weekly chemo was delayed this time so lasy one on Tuesday 28th. Iv got a sore mouth and im now permanently fatigued and can not do too mucH. Radiotherapy also delayed until 14th of June. Iv really struggled after Paclitaxel no 4 and 5.
I have not read all of the thread but would appreciate it if someone could recommend a good holiday medical insurance company.

Kind regards
Highlighted

Hi Gay, just wanted to say the not quite right feeling will change soon hopefully. It seemed to take longer to get over the last chemo for me too but I'm now 3 1/2 weeks post last chemo and have to say I feel quite normal now. Just starting the weight loss adventure! I put just over a stone on so will be dieting and starting to exercise a little, taking it slow at first.
I too can't wait for my lashes to reappear, feel and look so bare without them.
Sarah