What a journey!

Breast cancer - i am still struggling to say it! I was originally diagnosed at the end of Sept with DCIS and came to terms with it quite quickly - thinking once it was out - 3 weeks of radio and then enjoy xmas. I thought wrong - results showed invasive cancer and now i am back on 25th november for lymph node biopsy - i am now scared to hear the results as it feels like each stage is getting a little worse. I am trying to keep positive but find it difficult to talk with family afraid to upset them. Would like to talk on rhis site with people at the same point in their journey or those that have come through the other side x love ro all x

Hi maxy-moo

I’m sorry to read that you are having a pretty tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk to a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi MM, Right at the start I was told by BCN that it would be an unfolding story, and it was. Yes it does feel like news just keeps getting worse. This is a very common feeling shared by many women in our situation. The initial scans and biopsies, as good as they are, are not that sophisticated in definitively identifying size and grade etc. My lump went from being 17 mm to 35 mm! You are not alone. There does come a point where the unfolding story comes to a natural end and you and your team will know what you are dealing with and how to treat it, and then it’s just a case of gritting your teeth and, in my case, taking all the advice and treatment offered.

Hi Maxi-moo

I’m sorry to hear you are going through this difficult time. I was DX last November. Right from the start I knew it was invasive and that lymph nodes were involved. I had MX and sentinal node biopsy at same time. The lump was 36mm, grade 3, stage 2b. ER/PR positive, HER2 negative. Three lymph nodes removed with one containing cancer cells. Between February and May 2013 I had chemo and I’m now on a hormone tablet every day for at least five years. I’m coming up to my first annual mammogram in December, and I’m getting a bit twitchy, but there’s no reason why the results shouldn’t be ok.

I would encourage you to try and talk with your family - even if it initially upsets them. If you get some brochures about the type of cancer you have, and the treatment you will be having (your BCN should help here) and go through them with your family, it hopefully will reassure them that things aren’t as bad as they might seem.

I think it’s the word ‘invasive’ that worries people. But usually all this means is that it might be in the lymph nodes, which can be removed. 

Sending hugs and best wishes

poemsgalore xx

Thank you BF - yes you are right it ia an unfolding story i went from 24mm to 35mm but it has now been removed. At first i couldnt understand how it was invasive if it had been removed. Doing my research i now understand that it can carry through your bloodstream to lymph nodes. I feel veey lucky that they have caught it early and the prognosis is very good. I have fingers crossed that next biopsy on monday is clear and i can get on with rads. What stage are you now? Love and hugs x

Hi Maxy, I was also worried by the word invasive at first until the dr told me it just meant that the cells had the potential to spread but that doesn’t mean they have spread. Hope that helps! The waiting is definitely the worst bit. It’s much easier when you have your treatment plan. Best of luck! xxx

Sat in hospital waiting to go and have sentinal node checked. 5th on list so a long wait ahead x

Starting to feel nervous now - get results on tuesday from lymph node biopsy x x x

Hi All

Journey nearly at an end… results from lymph node biopsy was clear - yippee. So the cancer has not spread and I start radiotherapy in January to ensure it  stays away.

Have a lovely Christmas everyone, I know I will. Good luck to you all going through treatment.