71597members
375653posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What advice were you given about fresh DIEP scar treatment?

12 REPLIES 12
Diana

Re: What advice were you given about fresh DIEP scar treatment?

hi Imlauder,

It seems that my breast flap wound does not heal as good as my tummy's wound. Not sure if others' are the same. I was told that after 6 weeks you can try to stand up straight to reduce the hunch.

lmlauder

I had a tram nearly 6 weeks ago, I have a small leak in my breast, which Im going to the hospital to see about today. The other wound is progressing though I still have dressings on. I will need to get the E45 back on to help.
My tummy is very tight and I have to hunch some of the time, wearing girdle 24/7

Louise xx

Diana

Hi sjp348,

Sorry to hear that your tummy is distended. Did you ask the BC nurse or your doc for any advice? I hope it would settle soon. Did you have TRAMP or DIEP? My tummy is OK, just very tight. Not sure if any one else have similar problem. I still hunch a little but able to walk around the house freely and do small chores. I also have the girdle and bras on 24/7.

Diana

Hi Annie,

I am surprised to hear that you have no tape on your scar. Great to hear you heal so well. I also have transparent wound spray on all the scars. I saw my breast consultant last week she said that taping the scar prevent the scars from over healing or raised scars. My armpit is still a little swollen and stiff, I am sure it would go away. the plastic registra told me not to raise my left arm for another 4 weeks, because a vein had been harvested from my arm to connect the flap.

Not sure how every one's flap turned out to be. Mine is lumpy and hard on the left side just under the armpit, there is small skin dent on the cleavage. I have been massaging it gently and it seems a little softer now.

My path report was good. Despite the fact the DCIS has become a little invasive, I was told that I do not need chemo or radio therapy, just tamoxifen for 5 years. Good luck with your chemo and enjoy the half term break.
Lots of love.

sjp348

hi misspiggy
i keep same tape on mon thru fri and remain tape free at the weekends, not sure why but i doing what i am told, all scars healing nicely just trying to reduce the size of my distended stomach before i hit the shops for some new knickers.

Sarah (sjp348)

AnnieH

I had SSM and DIEP and ax clearance on 23 Sept and I had no dressings or tape on any of my scars - underarm, boob, tummy or bellybutton! I had a type of clear 'glue' sprayed on to all mine at time of surgery, and was told just to shower and wash them every day. The glue started peeling off after about a week to 10 days after, leaving dried up scabs behind. All my stiches are internal dissolvable, and 4 weeks on my scars are thin pink lines and are not at all raised.

After all the glue was off I massaged them with E45 twice a day, just to help with the itching, and for the last week I have been using Bio oil twice a day. Saw my PS last Fri and he is so happy not seeing me again for 3 months!

I was told to wear the sports bra and girdle 24/7 for 3 months but dont think I will be able to do it for that long - girdle causes major indigestion!

Misspiggy - I cant find the thread we were last on how did your path report go? I saw my BCN or tues and she said its not lymphodema, just post-op swelling,
and the pain in my arm is cording just carry on with exercises!

I am going to try and have a really good half term week with my kids, as I am starting first chemo on 5 Nov.

Love anne x

Maggierg

So much different advice given. I had my dressings changed at a dressing clinic once, a week after discharge, and when I returned a week later they were taken off and I was told to massage E45 cream (not bio-oil yet) three times a day indefinitely. They are looking good but I am still having to wear the girdle and bra 24/7. Can stop this at six week mark which is next week. Can't wait to be free again!

Good luck with your scars to you all.

mummyv

It's more of the massage and rubbing the scar that does the good. But any moisturiser will do, just get the blood circulating around the scar and get rubbing!!

Diana

Interesting how everyone is advised differently. I am sure changing the micropore tape each day will not be good. I spoke to my PS registra who told me this morning not to change the tape daily. It is confusing, the nurse told me one thing then the doctor said differently.

SJP348 does your tape stays unchanged from Monday to Friday then? My abdominal scar seems to heal fine, it looks deep pink and slightly raised. My breast flap scar does not look good, it looks deep pink, raw with pale edge, I re-tape it this morning after massaging creme de la mere (present from my daughter 🙂 )

Question is; how often do you have to change the micropore tape and how long we must keep this tape on?

I am so pleased for Kelley and Susyh that your scars are healing well. Well done.

I saw at internet that silicon gel is good for the scar healing too. Not sure if anyone has tried this.

susyh

I also had recon 3 wks today but i had the back flap and i must say im impressed with it so far .
my clinic told me not to use oils etc. my new breast is looking good and the scab is due to drop off
hope yours are as good as mine
sue

Kelley

I was told to do nothing while the wounds were healing. No dressing was put on, the wounds were covered by a large, thick piece of wadding which was not attached and just lifted when being checked. When i was mobile I had a piece of loose mess tubing holding the gauze in place until it was healed. I was then advised to put steri-strips or micropore along the wounds. This worked really well and my scars have faded nicely apart from one or two little areas.

sjp348

hi i also had surgery on 8th oct and instruction from my consultant was that after 2 weeks i should remove all the tapes on a friday and rub all scars with vit e or bi oil for the following 2 days and then re tape myself on the monday following a shower, this should be continued until i see him again at 6 weeks. my scars all seem to be healing really well and this is without moisturising. no mention was made of taping tightly but i was told to use micropore tape. if you are taking the scabs off it maybe because you are remoiving the tapes too often?

question for you how distended is your stomach? mine feels like someone has pumped me full of air and i cant now seem to fit in to all of my clothes!!

Diana

What advice were you given about fresh DIEP scar treatment?

I wonder what kind of advice were you each given on how to treat the new DIEP stiches/scar? I had SSM on my left breast followed by DIEP on 8th October. The first wound dressing change was on 20th Oct.

The nurse told me to rub Vit E oil deeply each day on those scars to promote healing, then to tightly tape the scars with multiporous tapes to prevent raised scar. I was told to tape the scars for 10 weeks until they issue different scar tape.

To rub the Vit E you need to remove the tape first. Each day when I remove the sticky multiporous tape, I notice the newly formed scabs were also lifted off or stuck to the tapes, exposing raw scars. Surely this is not good as each time the scar try to heal, the newly formed scab is peeled off, exposing us to infection hazzard.

How were you advised on your scar treatment? Were you given special scar tape?
How long do you have to keep the scar tape on?