What am I?!

Hello Lovelies,

Just a quickie - I’m going away at Easter and have just looked at an insurance website and got stumped on the first question about medical condition.

‘Do you have a medical condition to declare?’

• DO I??

Sure, I’m on Tam for the next 4 years, but I see this as a precaution rather than a ‘condition’.

Brief history of me: dx Nov 10, chemo, mx + recon, rads - all finished early October.

So do I? Do I have a ‘condition’? It might sound a bit 'tic but I really don’t know how to describe myself (no comments from the cheap seats please!).

What would you do?

xx

BC is something you’d have to mention. There will be certain questions they will ask which will affect their “risk”. One of those would be about medication you are taking. It’s best to tell the insurance companies everything. If they don’t consider the information you tell them a “risk” then it won’t alter the premium. It’s unlikely, but if you developed a reaction to tamoxifen for example that stopped you going away, or happened whilst you were away and you hadn’t told them, you wouldn’t be covered.
Hope you have a good holiday! x

I’d agree - tell them or they’ll use it as an excuse should you need to claim.

Dx

I agree.

If you dig down in the small print you will probably find a definition of condition: likely to be something you have seen a doctor for in the last 2 (or 5) years, or having ongoing treatment for, or attending follow-ups for.

As others have said if you do not disclose it your insurance will not be valid.

Totally agree with DJ007. Given that insurance companies try to wriggle out of paying out for claim if they possibly can, if you fail to mention BC and then have to make a claim you probably wouldn’t receive a penny.

I went on holiday last year a couple of months after mx and recon. had just started taking Tamoxifen. The insurance company were going to load the premium to cover breast cancer but I was able to opt out of that cover. We were only going for a week and couldn’t see what could happen in that time that would neccesitate needing it to be covered.

They told me the premium alters depending on which country you are visiting. I used Insure and Go and would definately recommend them. You can fill in the details online or get the phone number and give them a ring. They were very helpful.