What are my rights to my medical notes?

Hi - some of you may have seen my recent posts on Living With Breast Cancer, and my current problems with elevated white cells, low red cells, and Crohn’s strictures and inflammation. I am convinced, after having had Crohn’s for 40 yrs, that my current problems are not Crohn’s initiated as my current problems are not anything like previous flares. I am concerned about bc problems.

From May this year I have constantly lost weight, now down to 6st 10 lbs…dreadful lower abdominal pain as early as 4 am, only relieved by a bowel movement…ulcers in my oesophagus, significant inflammation in my terminal ileum. Hip pain, balance unstable, and vision problems. I am living on 4 bottles of Fortijuice a day, and small amounts of mashed potato, apple sauce etc. No solids.

Saw my gastro on 14th October…he told me I need a small bowel resection due to inflammation there, and stricturplasty on some narrowings in the small intestine that no meds can sort out. Fine… I asked for an urgent private appt with his designated surgeon, whom I met briefly at the Crohns/Colitis AGM in Plymouth in July, when my gastro introduced me to him, and pointedly said: “Liz, you will be seeing a lot of Mr. Dourie in the future!”. I made a swift retreat.

No action, so yesterday when I went for my normal monthly blood tests for methotrexate (which I have been on for 8 yrs, even before getting breast cancer 5 yrs ago) I asked my GP’s nurse if my gastro had written to my GP, as I had specifically asked to be copied. She got my computer notes up, my gastro had written to the gastro surgeon and copied my GP. I asked for a copy of the long letter and she said she couldn’t give it to me without the GP’s approval and said she would speak to him… a really lazy GP whom I have no confidence in whatsover, either for bc or Crohn’s. Living in such an isolated Fort in South East Cornwall, I really have no option, other than driving 12 miles to the nearest town, with no car parking, and I can’t walk far now.

When I got home I rang my IBD nurse and she said she would look into it. Today she rang me and said she cannot not only locate the letter from my gastro physician to the gastro surgeon, but can’t locate my file. I don’t believe it, unless they are utterly incompetent. She said she had been to see the gastro surgeon’s secretary today (a temporaray one as his permanent one has been off sick for ages - doesn’t surprise me with the current chaos in the NHS) and she will see the surgeon today and get me an appt urgently…if I don’t hear within 2-3 days I am to ring her back. She knows my blood tests are all out of range, has seen the MRI and CT scans and is really supportive.

I am upset, confused, and very worried as to what is going on. I don’t understand why no-one will give me a copy of my gastro’s recent letter to the surgeon. What are they hiding? The receptionist at the GP’s office yesterday said they and the nurses all had to go on a recent course relating to what they could, or could not, tell patients. Something about what Consultants tell GP’s and some patients may not be able to handle it. Yikes!!! I probably know more about Crohn’s and breast cancer than my useless GP…I just want to know what I am dealing with, and want it fixed pronto. Gastro said I cannot have the surgery done privately at the Nuffield in Plymouth as they don’t do “complicated surgery”.

Even with the smallest amount of food, I am in excruciating pain, so guess the mind comes into play, and I don’t even want to eat. I have spent a fortune this last month on size 8 clothes, and wonder now where I can get size 6!!

My gastro has said numerous times that he will not prescribe the newest anti-TNFa monoclonal drugs for Crohn’s as I have had breast cancer. But…has also told me many times that I am at risk for lymphoma due to long term methotrexate. Bit of a Catch 22.

How do I get access to this recent letter detailing my current situation? I do feel I can cope with anything medically, I just need to know. My gastro said I am looking at 7-10 days in hospital, then 6-8 weeks recovery and I need to make some domestic arrangements with our holiday apt here. My husband is 80 yrs old and can’t do it, but if I have enought warning, I can get some young women to handle that.

Anyone got some advice? Gratefully received as I am doing my nut!

Love,
Liz.

Liz, thinking of you… sorry, I don’t know any practical advice that might help, but am thinking of you and wish you didn’t have to cope with the totally unnecessary hassle about the referral letter, in addition to your day-to-day difficulties.

Really hoping you will get that appointment ASAP if you haven’t already by now… and that a treatment plan is devised that is realistic, doable, and above all, very effective!

Best wishes
Lindsey.

Liz - all my sympathy.

Just a thought… Have you considered trying your local CAB? Mine were such a help to me last year (although it wasn’t a medical issue that I needed advice on) and they also have quick access to expert legal opinion.

X

S

Hi friends…
at last some action! I rang the GP’s surgery this morning and insisted the nurse or receptionist speak to the GP and approves my having a copy of the letter. Success…the receptionist rang me back half an hour later and the letter is waiting for me to pick up in the morning.

An hour later the gastro surgeon’s private secretary at the Nuffield rang to sort out a consultation with him prior to surgery. First date they have is Nov 17th, but she said if they get a cancellation for next Monday she will call me.

It will be interesting to read the physician’s letter to the surgeon, and see what they have in store for me! The private secretary said there is a private ward at Derriford where I can not only have the major surgery, but an en suite room, and hopefully the food is better than that on the NHS wards. My major concern is getting proper sleep in a quiet environment…when I had my 2 breast cancer surgeries, there were 28 of us in the ward, the majority over 70 yrs, and the snoring, shouting, whistling etc. made it impossible to get a good night’s sleep.

Apologies for bothering you all…I was just so upset, after having been told months ago I need surgery, and nothing was done. Guess the stay in the private ward will be my Christmas present, as the secretary said she is sure I can have it done by then. will be a big dent in our savings, around £7,000 I think, but as I have not been able to get private medical insurance since dx with Crohn’s, guess I have saved a lot of money over the past 40 yrs.

Feeling darn good this evening…off to get a large glass of sparkling Pinot Grigio - how bad is that? Hopefully, after the surgery, I will not have to inject myself with weekly methotrexate, and can ditch the 9 different meds I take daily, just take the Femara. Then, to put on some weight and start eating normally.

Many thanks ladies for sharing and caring.

Liz.

Hi Liz,
maybe if you were to ring the surgeons sec to see if she has had the letter and if she says yes ask her to send you a copy. Sorry to hear you are having problems with the gp on top of all the other things we have to deal with it is just too much.
Hope you het it sorted soon.
Love Debsxxx

That’s great Liz - really pleased for you.

X

S

Glad it is sorted Liz our messages must have crossed