72303members
378779posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What checks do they do when treatment has finished???

6 REPLIES 6
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: What checks do they do when treatment has finished???

I finished my chemo in April and had a double mastectomy in May. From the beginning there was the suggestion that I may have secondaries in the lungs but the shadows were too small to be able to tell. I had 3 CT scans, one after diaganosis, one in the middle of chemo and one at the end and neither of the latter two showed any differences. Two months after my treatment my oncologist suggested another one as they still weren't sure about the lungs. I had that scan last week. While I am worried that this scan may show something the other 3 did not (especially as I had a chest infection in July), at least I know they are still checking up on me.
The oncologist did say that if this scan shows no change I'll go on to 6 monthly check ups - presumably with occasional CT scans just to check.

cherub

An oncologist friend told me last year that tumour cells only get picked up on scans once they have formed something the size of the nail on your pinky; he assured me there was no scan they could give me at the moment that would find anything. Microscopic cells will not be detected. In my case the oncologists said they were not expecting to find anything else which was why I only had a chest x-ray before chemo. I had a lot of rads plus the heart x-rays for Herceptin and the oncs don't like giving unnecessary scans on account of all the extra radiation your body would receive from them. Of course, annual mammograms are x-rays as well.

Guest user
Not applicable

deleted

karen

Since I finished my treatment in 04, I have had a yearly Mammogram, for the first year I had 3 monthly check ups, then 6 monthly now annually......check - ups involve breast check, and chance to discuss any problems.......my health authority also doesn't do scans unless neccessary.

No your not being weird lolabelle...we would all like to be able to say we don't have cancer...I say I'm in remission....and yes every ache and pain is a worry..but you do eventually learn what to worry about and what not to.....[ not easy though ]!!

karen

Guest user
Not applicable

That seems so unfair - like i can't say 'i don't have cancer' without something to prove it otherwise i will go insane with worrying over every little ache and pain. I would lok into it privately but am not well off so can't afford it but i feel sick with worry without some sort of full body test....am i being wierd??

RoadRunner

I think that it depends on your health authority. Some people seem to get lots of scans etc while others get none. I had a chest x-ray on dx, and that's it so far. I will have a mammo later this week - 18 months after dx. Others seem to get them after 12 months. I know my health authority has a policy of not doing scans unless there are symptoms to suggest there may be spread.

Guest user
Not applicable

What checks do they do when treatment has finished???

When i finish my rads in a few weeks I will finally be done with all treatment. I have had sentinel removed followed by further node clearance as one had cancer in and then embarked on 3 FEC and then 3 TAx and like i said i have a few weeks left of chemo. The thing is wheni finishe they said they will do an MRI to my breasts but what about the rest of my body?? I can't explain how much i want a full body check and will pay privately if the NHS doesn't do this but i can't see why they wouldn't. They just said it wasn't their practice to do so.

Can anybody help with what i should do and what i should be entitled to??

I have grade 3 invasive with one node involved and I am triple negative...

Mel
x