What do I do next?????

Hi all, I have just had my post op results. I am a 50 yr old woman (post menopausal, hysterectomy 3 yrs ago but ovaries left in). I am ER=, PR-, HER2 NEG. Invasive lump 10mm, DCIS 15mm with 2 clear nodes (only 2 taken for some reson - anyone know why??) My oncologist and surgeon have been excellent, but cannot poke me in right direction (or maybe they are and I can’t see the signs for worry) The oncologist said I have a 5% chance of it coming back without chemo, which goes down to 2 - 3% with the ravages of chemo!!! In her letter she said it was only a small chance of recurrence - but I am so scared that if I don’t take the chemo, it will return. Anyone else been in this situation??? Godd luck to all.

Hi
Sorry don’t know what to advise… So bumping for others to see.

Not in your situation, but I think I’d be thinking about what I’d feel like if it does recurr - will you kick yourself for not cutting those odds by the extra 2/3 %? Chemo’s no fun, but I think that’s the thought that would be driving me. Just my opinion!

Hi I am not in your situation. My lump was 9cm and had 9 nodes infected out of 24. I was advised that chemo would increase my chances of non occurance (and survival) by 20% so for me it was a no brainer (although at the time I didn’t think that 20% was very much) I was told that ladies even with 2/3% increase opt for Chemo.

Chemo is harsh and there are risks attached to it - but to be honest it is not that bad and quite ‘dooable’ as many people have said on this site. You get bad days of course but in the main as long as you have the support of a good chemo team you can manage your side effects well.

It is an individual choice I think and it is clearly up to you - I would suggest a meeting with your Onc and/or BCN to discuss. I think your age needs to be a factor too. (my view)

If I was in your position, having gone through 4 cycles of chemo (2 to go) I would opt for Chemo (belt and braces) if you have the choice. but as I said its individual and I am sure there will be others who may have the same (or different views)

whatever you decide good luck
xx

Hi all, I am due to start chemo on Tuesday. This is the 2nd time I’ve had breast cancer - the first was 9 years ago age 54. Then I had a lumpectomy/radiotherapy/tamoxifen and no lymph node involvement. This time both breats were ‘full of cancer’ and 4 out of 8 lymph nodes were positive. I am now 6/7 weeks post double mastectomy and even tho’ the oncologist said chemo would only extend life expectancy by 5 - 10% because of the lymph node involvement and the fact that it’s 2nd time round I think it’s worth a go (even tho’ I’m scared!). Hope this helps.
Loraine

Hello

I was in a similar situation to you (7mm, grade 2, no nodes) and i didn’t take the chemo. I now have a recurrence, but for various reasons, I don’t regret it at all, not least because as the cancer’s been dormant for more than 5 years the chemotherapy probably wouldn’t have killed it off anyway (it has to be active for the drugs to affect it).

I was given less than 1% increase to my 10-year survival rate with chemotherapy. If someone had given me a 2/3% benefit and I’d already had children at the time, I think I would have gone for it.

This time, the chemotherapy offers more than a 10% increase to my chances of survival - that is more than enough for me to say yes please.

Just another perspective. Best of luck with your decision. xx

Sorry you are in this situation. I have had 4 out of 6 cycles of chemo and it has been tough at times, but i would not change doing it whatsoever. I am 36, 17mm tumour, no nodes involved. I don’t know what increase percentage wise the chemo would statistically have helped me as i didn’t want the numbers at that stage as i would dwell too much on them. I just know that after my op, the onc said i had a good chance of being here in 10 years if i had no further treatment, but a very good chance if i did! However, from my very very first appointment, my mindset has been that if they can offer me anything that even increases my chances by even 0.00005%, then i want it, and i thanked my onc when he told me he was putting me on one of the strongest regimens there is ( 3 fec, 3 tax)…he said it was the first time anyone had thanked him for that!

My view is that 2 to 3 % is quite a lot. If i think of my class at school, it equates to approx one person from a class of 30 odd. Thats enough risk for me to grab it with both hands!