What happens after 5years?

Hi everyone

I am so happy because I have just had my 5 year check and mamo and all is clear:) I cannot believe it has been 5 years and I am so happy that the rollercoaster has reached its five year milestone . What happens now? I know Tamoxifen finishes but what about mamos? I got a bit freaked out when they said we go back on th ethree year cycle and being the neurotic sort I kept thinking that waiting three years for a mamo is so long what if…you know the scenario …what is something appears and it is not picked up for three years.

Sorry to be stupid but although I am so happy that I have reached the 5 year goal I am also a little nervous of being out in the wide world again without my yearly checks.Anyone else felt like this?

Big hugs to everyone …this forum has been wonderful to me for the last five years. xx

Hi abcde

If you are over 50 then yes you would normally go on to three yearly screening. However when this happens may vary a bit across the country. Where I am even after treatment has finished you continue to have yearly mammos until ten years past diagnosis. Some places it’s 5 years, some only mammos every two yrs.

The risk of a second cancer is pretty small around 5%. And risk of recurrence will be dependent on the pathology of the cancer and your treatment. For some they will have a higher risk of a new cancer if the tumour was small and low grade or was DCIS for others then the risk of recurrence would be higher Eg where it was large high-grade with lots of nodes involved.

But the treatment you have had is to try and minimise the risk of both new or recurrent cancer and for the majority this is the case. With survival to ten years or more around 90%.

Most cancers take a long time to grow, many years so three yearly mammos would normally be fine and you should of course remain vigilant ( without being obsessive) about any changes in your breasts. Less than half of all breast cancers are picked up on screening most are picked up by the individual noticing symptoms. So be breast aware… TLC touch look check

Take care
Love Lulu xxx

On a similar note, what does happen when you stop the hormone treatment after 5 years? Have the cells just been kept at bay and then they going on their journey again? Are us hormone positives at more risk of recurrence once hormone treatment stops?

If you’ve gone past 5 years without a recurrence then chances are it won’t come back.

Its to starve any errant micro cancer cells that chemo?rads?surgery didnt get>

The first 2 years are the most critical, then 5. Not everyone has no probs past 5 years but most do, thats the benchmark xx

I was told by my Onc that the 5 years of Tamoxifen has about a 20 year effect on your body?? Hope that is true, as I’m starting mine soon! A x

Thanks everyone for your comments - it realy helped.
Hugs to you all. xx

I had my 5 year mammo and check up this morning[all ok thank God].My surgeon suggested I see him annually for a check up and move to 2 yearly mammos.I have my treatment privately and he did say that if I wished he would return me to NHS and 3 yearly mammos.Apparently it depends on age.I f you were under 50 at dx you stay on annual mammos[NHS] until you are 55.I am triple negative with no nodes involved and a grade 2 IDC I had chemo and rads post surgery but of course no tamoxifen.
It is possible to pay just for a mammo if you need extra reassurance.
valxx

I’m that pleased to read about ladies who’ve got to the 5 year mark. I was diagnosed Oct 2006 and am just waiting for my yearly mammo appointment to drop through the door, plus the check up appointment. I didn’t get a check up with a surgeon last year as my clinic said it wasn’t necessary for the year 4 ladies. To say I’m on pins at the moment is an understatement, everything is crossed.

It’s not being helped by the fact I suffered a very bas reaction to an insect bite on my leg whilst on holiday 2 weeks ago. Everything from my knee to my toes swelled to double the size and I had to get an emergency appointment with a GP in the next village to Center Parcs at Penrith. Ended up coming home early and spending the second week of my hol off my feet. I’m also having all the bloods done for thyroid, cholesterol etc on Monday as I’ve been dieting and exercising for a year but not losing weight. Fed up as I wanted to go back to my clinic with 2 stones off. Always something isn’t it? :frowning:

I was diagnosed in May 2006, I had a lump removal on my left breast. 6 months of Chemo (nodes an issue) 31 sessions of Radio. I went bald, and did not go the scarf route. I have been on Tamoxifen for 5 years and got my directions to come off it this month following a good mammogram. My take on all this is that whatever our cancer is it is different for each of us. I tried to maintain a positive can do attitude as I believe negativitiy aggravates side effects. I do believe in getting as much information as possible but do believe that while new meds/treatments come on stream they may not be the best for all. My employers helped me back with excellent ocupational health.I was back a month after last Radio, doing 2 hours a day and buiding on that. I am consious that my husband suffered perhaps more than I did, because he is a bystander and cannot help and when he came and sat with me during Chemo my wonderful Chemo nurse helped talk us through it and made a special effort for my husband…sometimes we focus on ourselves too much but we are doing it, our partners are scared for us. I was offered reconstruction but refused it, I see know benefit physically in it. The size and shape of my breast was the least of my worries. I even went topless on holiday in Turkey, because I felt so confident. Lavender always soothes and helps with sleep. I have lost 3 good friends to secondary cancer over last 5 years so each day for me is a bonus…looking forward but not planning, trying to continue my PhD. xxxx