What happens at first genetic testing appointment

Hi, I go for my first appointment on Thursday and wondering what to expect.  What happens after the first appointment. I am planning to go on my own. Any experiences would be appreciated as getting a little stressed.

Hi

I don’t know if it works the same for everyone but I can tell you what happened when I went for my first genetics appt - we went through any relevant family history (so its useful to get as much info together as you can beforehand) and discussed my medical symptoms and the consultant agreed genetic testing was appropriate, tho she did stress it would still have to be ok’d by a sort of committee. I had blood taken and then it was just a case of waiting for the results. In my case it took approx 3 months but I don’t know if that was specific to my condition and whether other tests may be a bit quicker? I got the results at a second appointment where we then discussed the implications for my future health and immediate family members.

Hope that helps a bit, do ask if you want to know anything else and good luck for your appointment x

Hi Lizred, just got back and you were right my appointment went the same as yours except I don’t need to go through a committee it was agreed to do the testing. It will take 3 months.  I thought it would just be for BRCA which takes 6-8 weeks but shockingly she told me due to history on both my parents side she was checking for 8 different mutations eeek. She said enjoy Christmas and don’t worry - easier said than done.

thanks for replying, just got the wait now.

Hi!

I have a question. My wife’s familly has a long cancer history in her familly. Now she is pregnant. Pay by phone We will have a girl. When can we make genetc tests to baby?

Thank you!