cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens at the first scan?

6 REPLIES 6
husband1001

Re: What happens at the first scan?

Thank you everybody for your very kind advice.

The appointment has come through for next week - in the letter it says that my wife can bring a friend or relative and that feedback will be provided on the day. So that is all good. We will go together and we are just keeping everything crossed that all is OK. 

Dan 

Kittkatt

Hi Dan,

The bottom line is what does your wife want?  I know everyone was very uncomfortable with my need to go to appointments alone but I knew if it was bad news (which it was from very first appointment but all turned out really well in the end) then I would need time to process it alone.  We are all different and although I have a lovely supportive husband I am also a very private person and going it alone was right for me. 

As everyone has said, there is every chance the news will be good for your wife but good for you finding this forum.

Hugs,

Kitt

x

Jobey68

Yes Dan she will need you with her, my husband came to every appointment and I think I would have done a runner on day one without him! You won't be able to go in for mammogram or scan  but knowing you are outside waiting will be a great help to her 😊 You will be involved in any discussions with consultant and while she's having a physical exam so your presence will be very much needed 😊

Weeannie1

Hi Dan,

I can only reiterate what Cs66 has already said about going with your wife. I too went on my own and ended up having to phone my husband to come to the clinic when my diagnosis was made. Everyone else at the clinic had a partner or friend with them. I had a mammogram and ultrasound followed by FNA and then core biopsys. In the clinic at my hospital, there are pathologists who attend and take fine needle aspirations ( FNA) of the lump and can tell you if it's cancerous or not that day. They can't give a definitive diagnosis because they need to take core biopsys to do that, but at least I knew one way or the other at my clinic appointment. As I've already said, the chances are that it'll be nothing, but at least you'll be there to support your wife whatever the outcome. I hope with all my heart that it does turn out to be nothing at all. 

Sissylw1980

Yes dan, you should definitely go with her, my husband was with me for mine, it's nice to have someone there for support. Sissy xx
Cs66

Hi dan, I was trying to be brave and went on my own to my appointment. Big mistake! Everyone else was there with partners. They may do mammograms then ultrasound and if necessary biopsies. You won't get a definite diagnosis but will come away knowing if it's clear or whether they need to investigate further. Hope that helps. Some clinics font do all this at once do you may have to go back if you need biopsies etc. your wife will need you. I wish I had taken my husband xx
husband1001

What happens at the first scan?

My lovely wife has found a lump been referred for a scan at our local clinic. Just waiting for the appointment to come through.

I am unsure whether it would be normal for husbands to go along to this appointment or not? I would want to be with my wife if the results of the scan (whether good news or bad) are given on the day. But if it is the case that the scan is done and no feedback is ever given at that stage then maybe it would be appropriate for me not to go to the scan but be there to hold her hand when the results come back at a later date?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan