What happens when you have a CT scan

8 REPLIES 8
Gilliancw

Re: What happens when you have a CT scan

Thank you for your replies I don't feel so worried now
xx

meggy

The thing that I wasn't expecting was sitting in the waiting room for an hour & half drinking/sipping the litre of contrast medium (tho tastless it wasn't nice to have to drink so much fluid). I also wasn't expecting to have the cannula & injection. Otherwise it was fine!
Good luck with it.
Maggyx

meggy

The thing that I wasn't expecting was sitting in the waiting room for an hour & half drinking/sipping the litre of contrast medium (tho tastless it wasn't nice to have to drink so much fluid). I also wasn't expecting to have the cannula & injection. Otherwise it was fine!
Good luck with it.
Maggyx

ChristineP

Hi Gillian,
as Sdfmeg says - it is not confined - you will be lying on a table and this table will move to position the parts of your body that need to be scanned through this large doughnut shaped ring. You will hear some whirring from things in that doughnut, but it is not very noisy.

I found this bit shows a good picture and it explains a bit what goes on.
http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/c/ctscan
You may be able to keep your clothes on, or otherwise they give you a gown to wear (and you still have your underwear on) - In that case there will be a changing room. Sometimes they ask you to put your arms up like in the picture, depending on what they want to scan. You have to lie very still. There will be people monitoring you from behind a window. The machine may tell you to breath in and lay still, and it tells you when to breathe out again and relax. This may happen a few times, while they take the pictures. I just closed my eyes and thought of nice things, and followed the breathing instructions as if I was in a yoga class
Just a tip - you are usually allowed to keep your shoes on, but I liked to take mine off, as I found it more comfortable to lie on the bench with my shoes off (otherwise my feet kept falling to the side). Perhaps this is just me - but it did help me feel a bit more in control.
They may also inject you with a dye to help making the pictures. As sdfmeg said, this may give you a feeling of 'warmth', or rather it makes you feel like you have wee'ed yourself. I thought they where joking when they told me this. But then when it came to that very moment, it was quite an odd sensation, and I really thought I was the first one who had actually wet themselves big time.... So embarrassing.... But phew, when I got up, I was not wet at all so if this happens to you, not too worry, just smile.
Another useful thing to know is that after the scan you may a bit wobbly. So don't get up too quickly from that bed. I have had a few scans so far, and find they usually let you sit somewhere for about ten minutes while they wait for you to calm down, with a button to press if you need help. In my case the dye was through an IV thing in my arm, so that is also why I had to wait, as they had to take that out.
Well, I hope this helps a bit, good luck - and once you have had yours just add it to the list of little victories - well done
wishing you the very best

christine

ChristineP

Hi Gillian,
as Sdfmeg says - it is not confined - you will be lying on a table and this table will move to position the parts of your body that need to be scanned through this large doughnut shaped ring. You will hear some whirring from things in that doughnut, but it is not very noisy.

I found this bit shows a good picture and it explains a bit what goes on.
http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/c/ctscan
You may be able to keep your clothes on, or otherwise they give you a gown to wear (and you still have your underwear on) - In that case there will be a changing room. Sometimes they ask you to put your arms up like in the picture, depending on what they want to scan. You have to lie very still. There will be people monitoring you from behind a window. The machine may tell you to breath in and lay still, and it tells you when to breathe out again and relax. This may happen a few times, while they take the pictures. I just closed my eyes and thought of nice things, and followed the breathing instructions as if I was in a yoga class 🙂
Just a tip - you are usually allowed to keep your shoes on, but I liked to take mine off, as I found it more comfortable to lie on the bench with my shoes off (otherwise my feet kept falling to the side). Perhaps this is just me - but it did help me feel a bit more in control.
They may also inject you with a dye to help making the pictures. As sdfmeg said, this may give you a feeling of 'warmth', or rather it makes you feel like you have wee'ed yourself. I thought they where joking when they told me this. But then when it came to that very moment, it was quite an odd sensation, and I really thought I was the first one who had actually wet themselves big time.... So embarrassing.... But phew, when I got up, I was not wet at all 🙂 so if this happens to you, not too worry, just smile.
Another useful thing to know is that after the scan you may a bit wobbly. So don't get up too quickly from that bed. I have had a few scans so far, and find they usually let you sit somewhere for about ten minutes while they wait for you to calm down, with a button to press if you need help. In my case the dye was through an IV thing in my arm, so that is also why I had to wait, as they had to take that out.
Well, I hope this helps a bit, good luck - and once you have had yours just add it to the list of little victories - well done
wishing you the very best

christine

Gilliancw

Thank you for the advice
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

It's not confined - just like lying on a bed and having a large polo mint pass over you. If you wear nothing containing metal, they should allow you in fully clothed. (Didn't know this first time round, but I did second time). Apart from that, the main problem I had was they told me I "would feel warm". I actually thought I had wet myself first time round, and was mortified. Second time round, I knew what to expect and it was OK. Just a few seconds when your nether regions feel very warm - like passing water, but you won't have.
Gilliancw

Bump

Gilliancw

What happens when you have a CT scan

Hi
I'm due to have a CT scan to check my blood vessels in my stomach before I have a DIEP reconstruction.
can anyone tell me what happens? will my whole body be inside, I don't like confined spaces.
i would appreciate any advice.
Gillian xx