cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is it that makes you tired?

28 REPLIES 28
vertangie

Re: What is it that makes you tired?

helios does the radium in case you wanted to know, it's not widely available.

vertangie

You might like to know that you can also get a homeopathic of Radium which is especially for radiotherapy side effects, It's also known as xray. You should see the size of the bottle mum sent me.. enough to dose everyone doing treatment at carlisle for a year... shame my onc thinks it's a load of ****. But hey I don't need him to believe in it do I 😉

palomino98

Yes, it's 30C rhus tox in the veterinary box, together with good old arnica and ruta grav... amongst others. Arnica is the only one I've ever used on the human contingent, though, the others have only ever helped old ponies or retrievers! I'll explore this much further, I'm mad not to have considered it earlier!

Thanks Ann, nice to hear from you. I had 7 months chemo, Epi-CMF, and found the CMF harder, though it's usually Epi that causes more trouble. Used the cold cap and kept my hair, so quite lucky. Yours was a shorter but harsher programme I think? Laid low with appalling diarrhoea after each CMF cycle, also broke a rib in August - opposite side to the surgery, luckily - when my old pony tripped over with me, probably because my excess two stone is too much for him. The recon has healed well although weight gain has been a strain for the abdominal scar. I missed my summer appt with the plastic surgeon, too embarrassed to present this fat middle for inspection. Rads in November, rather dreading it, and Tamoxifen starts then too. My onc said it can cause brittle bones so try to ensure that I fall onto the 'good' side...

I'm about half an hour from the hospital, parking is a nightmare so I'll use the Park & Ride bus. Onc said expect to be there for an hour each time and they'll tell me the full procedure at the planning appt. I'd thought rads took just minutes.

Are you finding the tiredness actually makes you sleep, or just slow and ragged-feeling? Even after so many months, some mornings it's 11am before I've had breakfast, showered and dressed, but my sleep is badly disrupted, last night I slept from about 3am to 4.30, then 8.30 to 10am. This is typical for a few nights, then I'll have 14 hours unbroken sleep and feel terribly disoriented next day. My youngest started 6th form college this term and gets herself up for the bus, so not having the school run has removed the need for any routine at all. Tiredness is a way of life now, I really can't imagine ever getting up to go to work again though I'm expected back asap after rads - not sure how soon to expect though.

AnnaG

Hi ladies,

I was interested to read that some of you have general aches and pains whilst doing rads. I wondered what was going on with me this week! My hips, knees,back and wrists are stiff and aching. I didn't read about that side effect in the leaflet I was given, so thought it was because i have a cold this week.

Lynn, so good to see you back on here. How have you been with the chemo? I think you must have had a lot of sessions? The last time I read a post from you, you were having trouble with healing of wounds after recon. has that settled now? Hope to hear you are doing well now. The rads aren't bad, it's just the daily trek to the hospital and the tiredness. You can't get much done with your day!! it's lovely to have your appetite back after chemo, and to be sleeping better.

Best wishes,
Ann G xx

vertangie

palomino98: dosage strength matters too but the general homeopathic philosophy is regular dosing until symptoms subside... of course what regular is is another matter 😉

but good question, I assumed 30c as that's generally the dose for physical ailments unless very acute and sudden in which case it's typically 200 (like the helios first aid kit)

that's why it's best to have a homeopath at hand unless you are one or have already been down that remedy road before. eg we have RAR, (rhus tox, arnica, ruta) on hand in our hiking first aid kit as it deals with deep strain, bruising, muscle damage and tendon damage, basically what you need to get of the mountain without calling mountain rescue.

Ideal for boisterous border collies that just of stiles too 😉

palomino98

PinkyAnn, how much rhus tox do you take? I had an old pony on 3 tablets, 3 times daily, for arthritis and it made a noticeable difference.

I will have 15 rads in Nov, last chemo (Epi-CMF) is next week, and have been told not to use a public swimming pool this side of Easter. Not sure why the prospect of rads scares me more than surgery and chemo did, and not only the thought of travelling to hospital every day!

vertangie

Thanks for that Ann.

I've been recommended to try using the homeopathic burns cream but I'll mention that to my mum (my homeopath). She was going to send up the burns tincture so I can apply it neat along with pure aloe vera (I have a huge plant of which a fair amount it going to be sacrificed 😉

PinkyAnn

Hi, ladies. I completed 25 rads today (yippee!!). I, too had that non-negotiable tiredness which meant that when I needed to sllep, I HAD to. I even had to have a snooze on the way to college last week. (I was going in after a rads session.) I think it's all the healing work the body is doing 'behind the scenes' that makes us so tired - like how tiring it is after surgery, for example. All through treatment, I have been sleeping when I need to but the up-side is I've been really quite perky the rest of the time.

As for supps, lots of stuff, but I think the coenzyme Q-10 helps.

I've been looked after by a homeopath and she recommended Seven Cream, which I used on 'days off' and she also prescribed rhus tox for the all-over aching. I still ache all over but it's not so painfully debilitating now and at least my hands work better. Very pleased with the cream as the staff at the hosp were v impressed with my skin.

ann
x

Anita67

Hi Ann

You can use the 99.9% aloe vera gel from Holland and Barret but still use your aqueous cream too.

I had 15 + 5 boosters and unfortunately underneath my boob did split the sunday before I went away on the following friday. I have a large bust and the split did get worse on holiday. I struggled to keep it dry due to sweat and did not swim in the pool or the sea. I ensured that the wound was cleaned every day and as dry as possible. The area did pong quite bad and I thought that I would have to get it sorted on my return, but today it has dried up very nicely and looks like it will heal well. I will re-assess it on monday when the docs are open.

The only advice is to make sure if you do split that it is completely healed before you consider going in the pool with the chemicals.

Keep lathering on the cream and good luck for the rest of your treatment.

Good luck to all starting/mid-way/finishing their treatment.

Anita

AnnaG

Hi ladies,

Thanks for your advice. I'm taking Co-enzyme Q, so hoping that is helping. Travelling is making me tired, I think. I get home from the hospital and promptly fall asleep for about an hour and a half!

I'm half-way through my 20 rads now, and just starting to suffer with skin irritation and redness. I've been told to only use aqueous cream. Shall I ask if I can also use aloe vera gel?

How is every one getting on who has finished their treatment and been on holiday?

I can't wait to get back in a swimming pool, it will be bliss!

Ann G

redders

Hi Vertangie!
Only just saw your post as my computer has been playing up. I take Co-enzyme Q10 anyway and have been for about 8 months, but I understand it will help with rads tiredness even if you only start the week before rads sessions begin.

Anita67

Hi Ann

I started rads 3 weeks after last TAX as needed to fit them in before going on my hols (booked prior to dx). To be honest it took me a week to recover from TAX but I know this is fairly quick compared to some ladies on here. My side effects never included headaches, just had tax mouth, tiredness and pains in legs for a couple of hours (which were manageable) and by day 7 had cleared up.

Don't worry about the rads as they are a whole lot easier than chemo. Just the travel to the hospital is a pain in the butt. I have to go to a hospital approx 10 miles away but it only takes 20mins on the motorway. I also use hospital transport and therfore have a driver.

As for the milk thistle - have you still got the number for your chemo suite? Maybe one of the nurses could advise you.

Go and see your doctor and get a prescription for OMEPRAZOLE 20mg once a day and that will sort out your heartburn. They usually give you a 28 day course and this should help you a lot.

My nails are ok but have 'ridged' quite badly but I haven't lost any (yet!!)

If you have any worries about rads - the radiologists will be able to help and advise you. Mine are lovely and will answer what they can and if the can't they will get hold of my onc who will!

Hope everything goes well for you and keep us posted

Anita xxx

crispy

Hi Ann

The advice I was given was hang the healthy eating but get the carbs in. it does help you feel as if you have more energy.

There is time when you've got through treatment to sort out the healthy eating.

Lv Crispy

AnnaG

Hi Fizbix,

Did you feel you had recovered from your TAX before you started the rads?

I'm still feeling the effects and worrying that I'm not going to cope with it very well. For one thing, my appetite is so poor, I'm not able to build myself up like I was hoping to this week. Any suggestions? I'm trying to eat healthily, no junk.

Has anyone used Milk Thistle to help their liver to recover? My friend has bought me some tablets, but I'm unsure whether to take them now or not.

Ann xx

FizBix

Hi everyone

Hope I haven't set everyone off panicking ... just like chemo we are all different

Judging by how we all walk out of radio I would say I am one of the worst affected where I am ....you may be fine

Must be honest - it does go SO MUCH quicker than chemo - especially if you don't have 33 !

Putting it into perspective - OH is looking pretty pooped and he's not even having it!

Just think you have to be prepared to rest if you need to

good luck
love FB xx

AnnaG

Hi Anita,

How long after your last TAX was it before you felt "normal".

I'm still getting a funny feeling in my temples,which I've had with the TAX each time, my nailbeds are still sore,and digestion not right. Heartburn, mostly. Thank God I didn't have four lots! I do hope I'm going to be ok when I start my rads!

Best wishes,

Ann

Anita67

Hi Ann

I have had 12 sessions so far and haven't exprienced any exhaustion up to now. I sailed through FEC but found TAX slightly harder, taking a bit more time to recover. I am 5 weeks post last TAX and feel ok.

Like chemo, radio will take its toll on each of us differently. I personally would go for the weekend away and if you need to have a 'power' nap - then have one!

Anita

AnnaG

Hi ladies,

I'm getting worried that having rads in 11 days' time is really going to zonk me. The reason is, I'm on day 23 after my last TAX, and I'm still very tired ( have to sleep a couple of hours each afternoon ), don't feel like doing much, still have a funny taste in my mouth and am having trouble digesting my food ( I've not got much appetite ).

I did struggle with the TAX, after sailing through the FEC pretty much. I'm taking vit C and ImmuneACE and Co-Q and drinking lots of water. I wonder if my poor liver is struggling to recover? We are supposed to be going away to Norfolk for a week on Saturday, for a welcome break after everything, before I start my 20 rads, but I'm beginning to worry that the travelling is going to knock me for six, and I'll end up feeling worse.

Have others felt tired in week four after chemo has finished? I sort of feel a bit ill and queasy at times, this week. I've had a bit of a cold, I should add.

Advice welcome!

Ann xx

FizBix

...... I have to say Mildred that I have been smiling at your first post on this ....

..... because I used to think in exactly the same way as you! ... and i thought that as i don;t burn in the sun it would be easy peasy!!! ha ha blooming ha!

I had to drag myself out of radio today - i was extra popped - think it's beacuse i didn't have time for a decent nap yesterday - so heavens knows what I'll be like tomorrow as today i was even busier - i only had an hour and i needed about 4!!!!

Had an odd thought today ..... I really really hate being in electrical shops - Ijust get desperate to get out - when all the TV's ar on it jus makes me feel awful - partly the flashing I suppose ..... anyone esle?? In case you were wondering I have never tried living under a pylon .....

As a totally unrelated aside I hate bookshops becasue of the smell - ink makes me sneeze - reading a fresh newspper makes me sneeze! ... or it did pre-cehemo anyway!

ranting on and ging to bed - night noght sleep tight -love FB xx

vertangie

Do you mind me asking how long you've been taking the coQ10 redders? I've taken it in the past and am going to start on it as soon as the 3 weeks past my last chemo have past which will only be 1 week before my rads start. Did you start on it specifically for the rads or were you using it anyway?

Cheers

Angie

redders

Hi!
I have just finished 25 sessions of rads and have not felt tired at all and drove myself 12 miles each way every day - but then I didn't have chemo so I'm sure that makes a difference. I take a supplement called Co-enzyme Q10 and have read on the net that 2 hospitals in the North are now giving it to rads patients as a trial to see if it helps with fatigue - so maybe that made a difference with me as I take it anyway.

jennyimmy

Hi, I finished my rads two weeks ago and even though my skin didn't break down during the radiotherapy it is now very red and sore. The skin has also peeled and bled but as long as I keep putting the cream on it seems to heal up very quickly. I was very tired during the radiotherapy and was signed off work for four weeks. Do you know that you can get your petrol paid if you drive yourself to the hospital.

Jen xx

Mildred1602

Dear All

Thanks for the info on your experiences. I guess it'll be like chemo - we all respond differently & I'll have to wait & see how it effects me.

I have a radiotherapy planning appointment on Friday so hopefully things will come clearer then.

Mildred

FizBix

Hi Mildred

It totally zonks me - like you I thought it would be easy - and it is for some people

I am just so dog tired i have to sleep for 1- 4 hours . I take as long as I need.

It's only the days I have radio - the weekends I just need a little nap

I am driven there and driven back - the whole thing takes 3 hours including lunch

If I try and carry on without resting I feel very sick

Good luck anyway - you will probably be fine! I found TAX a doddle compared to most people.

Good luck
love FB xx

lilacblushes

Hi Mildred

I can't say what it is that makes you tired during rads but it does happen. I didn't have chemo and had 29 sessions in total including 4 boosters but I was able to work throughout, I got my appointments for late on in the afternoon and worked from 8am to 2.30ish each day, went to rads (about 45-90 mins journey each way depending on traffic) then came home afterwards. Towards the end I did find some days I needed to go lie down for half an hour or so ... personally I think the travelling was a factor in my case.

I am 4 months post rads now and still find that I have the odd tired day - but then again I am not sleeping too great (perhaps the tamoxifen) so that is probably why I am knackered.

andrea68

Hi Mildred,

I too tolerated Chemo pretty well and had no probs with Rads, just slightly sore skin. I only had 15 mind and some people have alot more, but didnt notice being tired or feeling unwell. I think if you are fairly fit and healthy you may tolerate it better.

Its 8 months for me since last Rads and have been fine but the last month I feel really tired all the time like I could just go back to bed all day, Even after a good night sleep. Maybe its the school holidays ? My 11yr old starts Comp on Thursday and my 7 yr old starts Juniors next Monday so looking forward to that. My 11yr old said " Mum will you cry on my first day?" and I said yes, with Happiness. She wasnt amused.

Lots of love Andrea xx

vertangie

I just posted a thread on the role of nutrition and radiotherapy.

Red blood cells makes sense to me but hadn't heard that. I've been on a supplement called spa tone since I was diagnosed, I only take it for a few days at the end of each chemo cycle though because my onc doesn't approve of supplements and I understand why but this one is actually just sachets of water.. yep just water, from a spring in Wales that's rich in Iron so you can absorb it much easier than from food, it makes you feel a lot better very quickly. I found within days!

Hope it helps some of you get some energy back (says the chemo induced sloth... at least I made it 3 quaters of the way without sleeping all day eh 😉

cottoneyedjo

Hi Mildred

I have had 15 out of 20 rads so far and I haven't noticed being any more tired than usual - but I didn't have chemo and I think this can make a difference.

Was told that the rads knock out the red blood cells which causes the fatigue in some - I think it depends how well you heal, and you sound as if you heal quite well.

Good luck

Jo xx

Mildred1602

What is it that makes you tired?

Can anyone help?

I've read that you feel tired during radiotherapy but what is it about the treatment that makes you tired?

I've tolerated chemo pretty well & have been able to work during my good weeks in the cycle as long as I've rested. So I was hoping that radiotherapy would be easy with only a bit of sunburn.

Mildred